Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Atomicated posted:

Those spiders that run away from you and spawn more spiders are probably the deadliest enemy in greed mode for me.

Yeah. Other than those ones though, spiders are pretty easy unless you got some tricky terrain. But if we're taking room layouts into account then I'm going to have to go with hosts/walking hosts as the biggest pains in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
I love how complaining about something almost always instantly fixes the problem complained about. First mum kill! Got a super overpowered run with me finishing with a flight capable demon that had practically instafire dual laser attack that spawned flies on hit. Hopefully this'll start happening more often now :v:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Let's play "spot Isaac" today :sun:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I might be a babby for having scummed my Lost wins before the Alt-F4 patch, but getting sniped by a laser eye hidden behind It Lives is some bullshit.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I played Greed mode until I got the holy mantle before even playing The Lost.

I have yet to unlock anything with him despite some really solid unlocks due to Krampus in a narrow room and Curse of Darkness making me miss a shadow right before I got flattened by Monstro II on the boss rush.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Waffle! posted:

I might be a babby for having scummed my Lost wins before the Alt-F4 patch, but getting sniped by a laser eye hidden behind It Lives is some bullshit.

It Lives! Kills the enemies it spawns. Eyeballs that spawn behind it should die in a couple of seconds. Just gotta keep moving.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've honestly never got much use out of 9 lives. Then again, I play Isaac by tanking every hit as I clumsily navigate the game keys on my keyboard

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The only reason 9 lives exists is because of Judas and the Lost.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
9 lives is great. You can use it to take lots of devil deals, steal from the boss rush, and not die when you got hit too much and deserved to die. It's the best guppy piece. It's nowhere near one of the strongest devil items though.
By my count, the devil pool has 30 items worse than it and 19 better items better than it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
WZA2 JTS7

This is a good seed. It let me unlock Abaddon. :toot:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

BillmasterCozb posted:

The only reason 9 lives exists is because of Judas and the Lost.

I got Dead Cat with Suicide King for the first time ever today. Good times!

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

actually spiders are the worst enemies

Agreed, but those walking skull turrets are a close second, not because they're hard, they're just really boring to fight. I hate enemies in games that just waste your time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hyphen-ated posted:

9 lives is great. You can use it to take lots of devil deals, steal from the boss rush, and not die when you got hit too much and deserved to die. It's the best guppy piece. It's nowhere near one of the strongest devil items though.
By my count, the devil pool has 30 items worse than it and 19 better items better than it.

I really like the paw. Converting red heart containers to soul hearts has saved my rear end on three separate occasions.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

voltcatfish posted:

I really like the paw. Converting red heart containers to soul hearts has saved my rear end on three separate occasions.

The paw is definitely one of the strongest items in the entire game.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Drowned hives are among the loving worst in that they spawn drowned chargers which have a million loving hp every time you so much as look at them

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tetracube posted:

Drowned hives are among the loving worst in that they spawn drowned chargers which have a million loving hp every time you so much as look at them

A room with two champions of those added over ten minutes to a run with poo poo damage.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tetracube posted:

i wouldn't have a problem with them if not for the fact that they spawn them so quickly and frequently

I also seem to only loving ever get flooded basement so i always expect basement to take twice as long as the other floors :geno:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Tetracube posted:

just fought one of these in a narrow room on the daily. hate those guys

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
the first afterbirth tournament is this weekend, starting at 6 am saturday and running basically all day saturday and sunday. xelnas is hosting it. the prize pool is Fifty Dollars. i'm hoping to win the dollars.
http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas
http://challonge.com/lostchild

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Having the lost start with holy mantle is actually....fun? I managed to beat hush on my second try. God knows how long that would have taken without it. Weird to see a patch that actually makes the game better, but I'm digging it

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I had a run yesterday with Mom's Key + Skeleton Key + Humbling Bundle + Key Beggar, unlimited chests pretty much

Key beggar becomes amazing if you have sack head. Allowed me to become guppy, massively boost my damage and fill out my health in the room right before the Hush. Awesome breaking combo.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Having the lost start with holy mantle is actually....fun? I managed to beat hush on my second try. God knows how long that would have taken without it. Weird to see a patch that actually makes the game better, but I'm digging it
Indeed, poo poo got tense when I got hit once at Ultra Greed, but it was a good tense.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Well, things definitely sped up suddenly. Beat mum's heart for the first time. Got a bit confusing towards the end since locating small Cain amidst all the stuff around him wasn't too easy :v:

Definitely helped that I got a 6 pip dice room almost off the bat that gave me 99 bombs and continuum. Then I eventually got shielded tears which helped immeasurably against the heart since I didn't have to dodge. The charge shot got a bit annoying since I couldn't just rapidfire though :(

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I sure do look forward to killing Mega Satan with these characters. :shepicide:

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Almost immediately after the previous run I got another OP run, on which I was able to kill Satan and The Lamb due to getting Teleport 2 and skipping ALL the latter stage chests via devil room or I AM ERROR room trapdoors. Went through most of the levels using these weirdo huge coins as ammo and almost screwed it up right at the end by picking up tiny planet (not so bad, really) and then monstro's lung (MISTAKE). Got super lucky and picked up a laser thingymajig almost immediately afterwards so I only had to go through about four rooms with the useless tiny planet monstro's lung shot :v: Killed all the remaining enemies in no time flat since it was crazy powerful.

EDIT: also had a magnetic shot for most of the game, got a bit hectic at times with enemies flinging around with the huge coin shots.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Hyphen-ated posted:

the first afterbirth tournament is this weekend, starting at 6 am saturday and running basically all day saturday and sunday. xelnas is hosting it. the prize pool is Fifty Dollars. i'm hoping to win the dollars.
http://www.twitch.tv/xelnas
http://challonge.com/lostchild

Grats on the win so far. Probs' runs were pretty crazy, drat. :chef:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

i've never really looked into racing until now. really nice performance there!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Trying to get Mega the hard way and failing. I have 130-some Eden tokens...i guess my odds of coming up with it aren't too great with that either. Ugh.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Trying to get Mega the hard way and failing. I have 130-some Eden tokens...i guess my odds of coming up with it aren't too great with that either. Ugh.

Is there an easy way to get to Mega Satan? Beating him with everyone is all I really have left to do

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Is there an easy way to get to Mega Satan? Beating him with everyone is all I really have left to do

Well with sacrifice rooms reworked you can now get the angels to spawn there pretty easily and get those key pieces. So it's not too hard anymore. Just the Lost you still have to do it the old fashioned way. So now you can get the keypieces without sacrificing the damage you get from devil room items.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/sacrifice-rooms

Also it's lots easier to fight them in that room cause those spikes affect flying enemies too and the angels will run themselves across the spikes.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 12, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What does manual seed input change as far as unlocks are whatever? Just curious. I get a lot of overpowered seeds I wan tto retry but I think they probably are useless to do?

Just beat my first boss rush. Woo!

Had guppy xform firemind and chemical peel by the end of floor 2.

Edit- just got Spun.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 12, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I know we all know this, but Rag Man is such a fucker. And always in such a predictable way: he'll fire some homing shots that accelerate towards me at extremely high speed despite me being over the other side of the map. And then I die.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
What's the point of Isaac's heart? It seems entirely worthless and pointless for how easily it gets hit.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

What's the point of Isaac's heart? It seems entirely worthless and pointless for how easily it gets hit.

Well you don't suffer any damage from Blood Banks or Devil Beggars so that's something I guess?

It's not a terrible item if you get rid of every normal mode of thinking and keep on running towards the enemies rather than away, but that's quite a barrier to entry for something that's got so few upsides.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It does have a few super powerful synergies when combined with certain items, but on its own it's not too great. Though it does allow free access to Curse Rooms.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I know we all know this, but Rag Man is such a fucker. And always in such a predictable way: he'll fire some homing shots that accelerate towards me at extremely high speed despite me being over the other side of the map. And then I die.

I kind of walk in circles around him early on, and always fire at his head when he rolls it and try to kill it before it becomes a spider. The damage you do to the rolling head does damage to the overall boss too so he just gets caught in a chain of throwing his head and the head getting beat. The homing shots are weirdly accurate but usually my orbiting him stops that. Only attack of his that is really really obnoxious to me is that heal/summon he can do.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Toxxupation posted:

Anyways, here's my Pro rear end Pro Tips For Newbies to Binding:

1)Take your time. go through each floor slowly, don't take any risks at all. You'll get enemy patterns down and also, in the process, increase your chances for devil room deals which, where you're at in the game, is the easiest way to ensure a win

2) Play Cain. Play Cain and gamble. Don't spend money on anything else, don't spend keys on stores (until you get the dollar, that is), save all your pennies and wait for an arcade or gambling machine to be available, then sink every available penny you have and hope for the dollar to drop. This is the by-far easiest way to get a winning run, especially when you don't have anything past Mom unlocked. a dollar gives you more than enough pennies to clean out several floors of stores which should itemize you enough for a win

3) take all available devil room deals. Devil Rooms have a high chance of spawning if you haven't taken any red heart damage on the floor and on the boss, which is why you want to take your time going through the floors. Unless a devil room deal would literally kill you to make, take them. Devil Room items require heart trades because they're easily some of the most powerful items in the game, and there's only a couple of them that outright suck (and even then, they're more situational over outright lovely). The basis of winning isaac regularly is being able to trigger devil rooms early and outscaling the difficulty ramp the game has via their trades, so get used to triggering devil rooms and trading. The way to win Isaac is to kill everything before it has a chance to injure you, and devil room items are the easiest way to accomplish that aim. Also, knowing what devil room items do means that you can prioritize your favorites and know what builds work best for you. I severely dislike pretty much any tear upgrade that changes how tears fundamentally "work", so even though i can recognize the strength of brimstone, mom's knife, etc i rarely if ever trade for them because I've found that they gently caress up my run too much to be worth it. Some people swear by brimstone though, and they're not wrong - it's very much a to your tastes thing

4) don't use bombs, except to find the secret rooms/free up blocked in chests/uncover mystery rocks. know how and where secret rooms tend to spawn and bomb for them intelligently. You want secret rooms because they have a decent chance of spawning gambling machines, which is what you want

5) 9 Lives doesn't suck and is, in fact, one of the strongest devil room items in the game. Always get it and learn how to play while running it, because it's incredibly common and thus the easiest Guppy item to get. Guppy breaks runs single-handedly

6) For trinkets, run petrified poop. Play the shell game a lot (as Cain, because you're prioritizing gambling) and, when you unlock counterfeit penny, that'll be your go-to trinket even over petrified poop. For a total newbie petrified poop/counterfeit penny are the two strongest trinkets to get

Now, maybe I'm just a scrub, but a lot of these tips seem... not that good. Devil room items are usually GOOD, but on a vanilla save they certainly aren't "take all of them every time"; A lot of the really good stuff has to be unlocked through challenges. I was amazed at the difference in my Devil Rooms after unlocking some stuff, but it was often a huge bummer to go "what was this item again?" *grab* "Oh yeah, it's the thing that's useless to me." A lot of your comments about Devil Rooms are accurate, I just don't think this advice will make the game easier or more fun. You're telling a new player to get their max health as low as possible, which is good advice for a person who has practiced and knows about the game, but doesn't seem that great early on.

"get nine lives every time it's really good"
Again, this just seems like 'GIT GUD' to me. "You'll die in literally one hit, but do it anyway, lrn2play and you'll have a good time." I rarely take it, because there's a lot of bosses I can't beat without getting hit, and it's super frustrating to have seven or eight runs at a boss and just die like a bitch, starting over each time. You also neglected to point out the main reason WHY it's a good item, namely that it lets you take more devil room items. (Again, this is still quite good, but becomes more of a boon later on when there's more great items in the pool)

You seem to be running on the assumption that having the lowest health is the best way to play, but when you're still learning enemy patterns, I don't think it is. For the same reason, a lot of veteran advice is that the blue soul hearts are flat-out better than red hearts in every way, which is true... but only if you're not getting hit much. Red hearts, which are easily refilled, are good if you're going to hit more than, say, once per floor. To go full soul hearts, you also need to know how to get them. Example: new guy, did you know you can bomb blue flames for a good chance at soul hearts? Seems to be about 50%, so it's usually a good trade, especially when there's a couple of the fires together.

There's a lot of basic poo poo to learn, as well as tricks/obscure knowledge (learn to predict where secret rooms will spawn; you can get several items, like maps, X-Ray Glasses, the miner's hat, and I Can See Forever pills, that will show you where they are so you can start learning the rules) before you should stat getting into intense pro strats - or, at least, that's true for me.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick at all; it honestly wasn't my intention. Some of the info wasn't as complete as it could be, though, and I wanted to be helpful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

I kind of walk in circles around him early on, and always fire at his head when he rolls it and try to kill it before it becomes a spider. The damage you do to the rolling head does damage to the overall boss too so he just gets caught in a chain of throwing his head and the head getting beat. The homing shots are weirdly accurate but usually my orbiting him stops that. Only attack of his that is really really obnoxious to me is that heal/summon he can do.

Yeah that's what I do, but as I'm playing with the Lost it only takes 2 super homing bullets to kill me, which normally happen right at the start and when the tears are in the air to kill him after hugely long fight.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006

omeg posted:

Grats on the win so far. Probs' runs were pretty crazy, drat. :chef:

I was on the edge of my seat for problems's races, he came so close to losing to the newcomer alwaysbored, it would have been incredible

quote:

i've never really looked into racing until now. really nice performance there!
thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

John Lee posted:

There's a lot of basic poo poo to learn, as well as tricks/obscure knowledge (learn to predict where secret rooms will spawn; you can get several items, like maps, X-Ray Glasses, the miner's hat, and I Can See Forever pills, that will show you where they are so you can start learning the rules) before you should stat getting into intense pro strats - or, at least, that's true for me.

Sorry if I sounded like a dick at all; it honestly wasn't my intention. Some of the info wasn't as complete as it could be, though, and I wanted to be helpful.

As someone who has been learning from random poo poo you guys say in this thread and playing myself, with some platinum gods help, most of what you said is true. Sometimes if, especially if I'm tired but also because I'm just not good yet, I start getting hit a lot more but get through on good luck from healing.

Also,

Nevvy Z posted:

What does manual seed input change as far as unlocks are whatever? Just curious. I get a lot of overpowered seeds I want to retry but I think they probably are useless to do?

Just beat my first boss rush. Woo!

Because I just beat the Lamb for the first time and this whole run was an absolute cakewalk from begining to end. Massive damage output by the end of floor three or and I didn't even take the 5 Dice room bonus floor.