Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gotcha.

Did you need any more flags?

Good for now, thanks, right now working through the bugs and the new features. I really want a "all events list" because its easy to miss battles! like here http://www.operationglacier.com/Map?Side=Both&date=411211&x=65&y=87&game_name=OperationGlacierI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Baloogan posted:

Good for now, thanks, right now working through the bugs and the new features. I really want a "all events list" because its easy to miss battles! like here http://www.operationglacier.com/Map?Side=Both&date=411211&x=65&y=87&game_name=OperationGlacierI

Timed out :v:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gohuskies posted:

Oh dear me. Well, good luck, you're braver than I! Even the Allied campaign is more than I can honestly really chew. Get WITP Tracker, you'll need it.

I have the same problem universally. I just cant play the allies in grognard games (the exception being the USSR.)

Actually, it's really just the US I cannot enjoy playing... Because I've got no problem playing the UK or France in pre-1942 WW2 games or Great War games.

I think it has something to do with a subconscious desire to see if I can change history, and not just win sooner as the United States.

When I really think about it the US has such a huge advantage it's just really boring for me to ROFL stomp Japan/Axis.

I mean even a terrible half assed attempt at WITP as the allies means victory is a forgone conclusion. It's only a matter of seeing how much sooner you can reach historical milestones than they happened in reality.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 13, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have decided that the reason I like WitW so much is I secretly enjoy logistics and air planning. That and the combat is simple enough for my grog-lite brain.

Although, lmao, I didn't realise you had to start planning your Italian invasion like, the turn after you invade sicily in order to land in time. Whoops, I just sat my Amphib HQs on the sicilian coast for like 2 months. :v:

edit: I just learned how to airdrop in supplies. This changes everything. :stare:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 13, 2015

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

LordPants posted:

I have decided that the reason I like WitW so much is I secretly enjoy logistics and air planning. That and the combat is simple enough for my grog-lite brain.

Although, lmao, I didn't realise you had to start planning your Italian invasion like, the turn after you invade sicily in order to land in time. Whoops, I just sat my Amphib HQs on the sicilian coast for like 2 months. :v:

edit: I just learned how to airdrop in supplies. This changes everything. :stare:

I distinctly remember a great learning experience in WitE planning my upcoming operations for the spring and then realizing just how many turns I had left to get everyone into position and supplied. And that some of my elite units wouldn't make it to the start line because they were still firebrigading 200 miles from where they needed be.

Logistics don't give a poo poo about your plans.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
I'm dying for Hearts of Iron 4 to come out. I'd love a game that focuses almost purely on the strategic level like that one does. Moving so many counters seems so tedious and I hate being dumped into the middle of things rather than a slow start.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hunterhr posted:

I distinctly remember a great learning experience in WitE planning my upcoming operations for the spring and then realizing just how many turns I had left to get everyone into position and supplied. And that some of my elite units wouldn't make it to the start line because they were still firebrigading 200 miles from where they needed be.

Logistics don't give a poo poo about your plans.

It's funny because reading about the East Front in WW2, "our offensive won't start on time because the Panzer Divisions are currently plugging up holes elsewhere" just kept on happening to the Heer after 1942

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Now I lost two Amphib HQs that I was using to ferry across the straights of messina. :doh:

I'm actually going to continue with an amphibious assault which I planned, but will now be behind my own lines just because I need the troops and the temporary ports. :downs:

Patton I'm not.

Also in true grey hunter style every time I launch an attack with the 1/82 Airbourne they get hilariously slaughtered or dropped in the ocean and sent back to Ireland for a fresh wave of suckers troops

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
That is pretty historical, they took over 200 percent casualties during the war because high command were dumbasses that kept dropping them into horrible positions. Monty was the worst.

My grandfather dropped with the 82nd into holland, got shot, then got put back into the line for the start of the bulge except they didn't give him cold weather gear so he got frost bite so bad they had to ship him home.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dtkozl posted:

That is pretty historical, they took over 200 percent casualties during the war because high command were dumbasses that kept dropping them into horrible positions. Monty was the worst.

Hey I resemble that remark!!!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I think we all do buddy.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's funny because reading about the East Front in WW2, "our offensive won't start on time because the Panzer Divisions are currently plugging up holes elsewhere" just kept on happening to the Heer after 1942

It's a thing.

The best wargames are the ones where you start reading historical accounts as a weird sort of strategy guide.

'Manstein says turn left at Pskov' ok then off we go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hunterhr posted:

It's a thing.

The best wargames are the ones where you start reading historical accounts as a weird sort of strategy guide.

'Manstein says turn left at Pskov' ok then off we go.

"Psh, what the gently caress Monty why did you let yourself get bottled up in Caen that's so weaksauce"

*a week's worth of turns later*

"Goddamnit why am I still here?! Why won't that SS division just retreat already?!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LordPants posted:

Also in true grey hunter style every time I launch an attack with the 1/82 Airbourne they get hilariously slaughtered or dropped in the ocean and sent back to Ireland for a fresh wave of suckers troops

I always recombine my paratroopers into full divisions and then drop them. It's far too easy for brigades to die.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

I always recombine my paratroopers into full divisions and then drop them. It's far too easy for brigades to die.

Funny story, I couldn't work out how to do it because I got "recombine" and "merge units" confused.

Anyway, once I did form them up I didn't have enough transport planes at the base to do it.

:haw:

edit: I've also gone from "yeah man whatevs" wrt the air war to "NO YOU MUST RECON THESE THREE HEXES AND TELL ME WHERE THE GERMANS ARE WHILE ALSO INTERDICTING THE SHIPPING TO THIS PORT AND GROUND ATTACKING THIS UNIT" :sperg: :sperg:

:stare:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 13, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LordPants posted:

Funny story, I couldn't work out how to do it because I got "recombine" and "merge units" confused.

Anyway, once I did form them up I didn't have enough transport planes at the base to do it.

:haw:

edit: I've also gone from "yeah man whatevs" wrt the air war to "NO YOU MUST RECON THESE THREE HEXES AND TELL ME WHERE THE GERMANS ARE WHILE ALSO INTERDICTING THE SHIPPING TO THIS PORT AND GROUND ATTACKING THIS UNIT" :sperg: :sperg:

:stare:

I can never get my interdiction to actually loving work. I don't understand how I can set the AI to handle it for me and they'll get 7-9 interdiction levels in a province, and I do it myself and I can barely get 1. The air war in that game is a drat nightmare.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just finished my Flashpoint campaigns PBEM game! 10 grueling in-game hours (67 turns).

Pentagon Evaluation posted:

* Your heroic death in battle saddens us all.

* Your force has claimed 64 Recce, 1 Helo, 158 Tank, 92 APC, 67 Inf, 6 SP AT, 6 AT, 25 HQ, 27 AD, 3 SP Arty, 2 Arty and 4 Utility enemy subunits.

* Lost: 48 Recce, 1 Helo, 113 Tank, 139 APC, 34 Inf, 24 SP AT, 24 AT, 11 HQ, 24 AD, 59 SP Arty, 50 Utility and 2 Air.

* More offensive Russian forces killed than American, favorable K:D ratio maintained (very important!)

* All important Cities in NATO hands, the dirty commies are stopped from further advances by their own minefields

* Soviet ammunition stockpiles depleted for the coming NATO counter-attack

* Soviet Air Force exposed and defeated by loitering F-15 squadrons

* In recognition of your efforts your surviving family will receive a testimonial plaque. Bald Eagles are crying everywhere.

* Pentagon Conclusion: Total Patriotic Victory. Mission Accomplished!

(If you are good at reading Flashpoint campaigns you can probably make out how this game went just from the map)

:words: Game breakdown:
Started out with a good ambush with a forward deployed force of mechanized infantry, two companies hiding out in the central and southern urban towns open to my deployment stood for most of those red crosses you see on the map were there's no artillery strikes nearby.
Enemy artillery strikes soon wiped out any of my forces that had been spotted in that fighting, and this led to a period of back and forth artillery fire and counter-battery fire that went entirely in his favor for reasons* including some gas attacks of his.
Fierce urban fighting followed in the middle and south as my remaining infantry fought tooth and nail, surviving for awhile thanks to the *massive* urban defensive bonuses that meant his massive artillery force (some 15 SP arty units) had to spend two dozens or so turns digging them out the hard way. I sent forth my A-10s after some of my recces managed to spot a tank regiment massing to the east of centre town, but alas his massive AD presence turned that into a poo poo show which accounted for 2 downed A-10 and 0 enemy losses.
I had deployed a second line of defence with some tanks and mech infantry, AT units etc to the west of the towns, on the ridge in the south and any favorable terrain I could find (including the woods north-west of the town). Little did I know woods didn't offer nearly the same defensive bonus vs artillery (well I figured as much, but I had no idea how weak tanks would turn out to be vs arty) - an unlucky early spotting to the north-west of town Centre got 4 abrams wiped out by artillery in one turn (a hint of things to come).
What followed after he took the towns were a very slow advance of like 5-6 in game hours as he sent out his small recce units to spot for his artillery, my own recce got gradually destroyed during this time, either in the towns or in flanking moves to the south trying to get a spot on his SP arty (got some TOW hits in for my trouble). He'd lose recce units, and even the occasional infantry unit to my opening ambush salvoes, but that would expose 3-4 units of mine that would all get wiped out by artillery fire the following 15-30 minutes. Repeat and repeat. This netted him probably 15 000 points.
Having spent 30-40 turns exposed to that it didn't take a genius to figure out he'd easily win this way, so I did the unexpected and attacked with my tank forces - in the centre, the south and the north. I had some success murdering the majority of his recce units but my abrams failed time and time again to wipe out light enemy units in a single turn, which invited enemy artillery fire that certainly did wipe out abram platoons (or left them at 0 combat capacity from stuns) - even enemy Air Defence units put up super stiff defence, destroying 2 Abrams with Igla squads and 14.5 hmgs.
My Abrams were gradually destroyed, although they took 2-3 T-72 companies with them - and as a final send off a I managed to spot a enemy tank regiment in the middle, pulling a Bannon and sending them to nuclear hell (probably accounted for 33% of my tank kills.
With most of my tanks gone, for a tank company holding the north, he started resuming his offensive. I've bought an hour or two, but he soon resumed his slow creeping artillery push, turning 3-5 hexes a turn into Verdun (and this was a 67 turn game so... you can see the results on the map).
His tanks broke through in the south once he figured I had nothing at the ridge but a few mortars and HQ units (a couple of blue crosses) - I sent my Cobras south and ambushed his tanks at the river crossing, popping a few and dropping arty at some.
Fierce fighting started in the central-western village line of defence, were my last infantry units were waiting in ambush, taking out around 2 companies of tanks including one company of T-80ies. For their trouble they all got wiped out by soviet artillery, as about every town hex got hammered.
Not quite as hammered as from my nuke though, which took out the better part of a soviet Tank regiment, and another 33% or so of my final enemy tank tally. At this point I could order about 1 unit per turn, so I couldn't redeploy effectively (my options was basically using 1 arty / 1 air unit or moving 1 dude)
Now we were at the last hour or so, and he sent for this hinds which he had held back. I counted 18 hinds in 5 units, my Abrams shot down 1 but all my Vulcans (started with 4 units) were already destroyed at the front and I had no other AD units - Hinds do what Hinds do in this game, and shat out a massive amount of ATGMs, killing most of my remaining tanks and even shooting down one of my Cobras (I had 4 to start with total).
The game ended as you see in the combined screenshot, with me barely holding that last town.

He ended the game with like 40 000 VPs vs my ~10 000, partially to 10 000 points of my nukes vs his... dunno, 5000 points of gas weapons.

* Still haven't learned how counter-battery is supposed to function, had my arty at Counter-battery fire in the beginning while we were still playing with 2.09 and all that achieved was getting 15-25% of my arty wiped out for none of his (my only SP arty kills were from some TOW hits). Then he managed to drop some lucky gas attacks and take out half my arty. He had 15 sp Arty units and 3 heavy mortars, vs my 1 MLRS, 5 sp arty and... 4 mortars I think. Just seems like lots of guns > other considerations when going for counter-battery.
My intel only ever reported AD units and HQs, so I couldn't even do manual counter battery fire when we went back in game version.

I supposedly had more VP worth of units (29 000 vs 26 000!), yet constantly felt massively outnumbered where it mattered - might have turned out differently if he used artillery like the AI does (i.e barely) and suicide his guys into my lines of defenders in urban terrain (NATO units can probable go toe-to-toe against 10-times their numbers under such conditions) but otherwise there was no way for me to fight effectively, the artillery hammer with the non-existant order delay for artillery units really hurts when you are outnumbered 3:1 in tubes. Doesn't feel like Abrams are worth the points when they are so easily rendered ineffective by arty or uh, taken out by heavy machineguns. I'd gladly have exchanged my Abrams for M48s for what I used them for, and taken more SP arty for the point difference. I'd also have changed my A-10s for their point worth of Apaches, easily, and would have liked a couple of Stinger units to maybe hold off his T-80sHinds.

The ideal force composition seems to be about 50% VPs in SP arty, 25% in Recce, some mech ATGM infantry to hold out in towns / cockblock enemy counter-attacks and the rest in either attack helicopters as a quick reaction force or AD units to take out enemy air units. I probably lost somewhere between 80-90% of my tanks to artillery, and he lost 70% of his to my nuclear strikes :911:
/:words:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 13, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hinds in Flashpoint annoyed the gently caress out of me with their spamming ATGM's on the move versus tanks that for some reason werent firing at 'em at all. They also identified Stinger teams (who had a <5% hit rate) and took them out with rockets a bit too easily.

I imagine Apaches would be the same, given they have similar FCS stats in the unit files. Lethality for alot of units just seemed alot less than what most other mediums have shown.

Awesome AAR though!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My only Hind kill came from a platoon of Abrams sitting in the woods, 2 hexes out 4 Hinds swoop in and one gets shot down by .50cal fire.
Then the Hinds move one more hex and 360 no scopes all 4 abrams :ocelot:

(I looked it up and those ATGMs the Hinds carry shouldn't be able to penetrate the front armor of M1A1(HA) Abrams, but seeing as the game simulates mobility kills and even allows machineguns to knock out Abrams with some ease, I guess it's no issue for them to do that - on the flip side one unit/hex of my mech infantry could vaporise 1 company of T-80s with *Dragon ATGM* from the front)

The terrain was pretty bad to pull a traditional NATO defence, even if he had less artillery at his disposal. The combat modelling seems rather wonky in a lot of places. If you guys have played Wargame ALB during one of the "Infantry in Urban Doom Fortress" + "Artillery hard counters / kills everything" phases you know what to expect (If artillery in Wargame had infinite ammo and games took 15 hours to play).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 14, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
For some reason I have WitE installed. I suspect heavy drinking was involved. I've started the game once, sat there dumbfounded for five minutes and closed it.

Help, please?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

For some reason I have WitE installed. I suspect heavy drinking was involved. I've started the game once, sat there dumbfounded for five minutes and closed it.

Help, please?

This should get you on your feet

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
My troops are exhausted, my supply lines are a mess and that loving swamp between kiev and brest-litovsk is full of russians that are apparently fighting my troops off with nothing but rifle butts.

Barbarossa :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Username posted:

My troops are exhausted, my supply lines are a mess and that loving swamp between kiev and brest-litovsk is full of russians that are apparently fighting my troops off with nothing but rifle butts.

Barbarossa :argh:

Yes, but is Train Nazi happy?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

That probably dates from the time when you had to buy three expansions for the full game that would sum to around $90. Then they released the compilation on Steam and wondered where all the money came from.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Wasn't the last 50% sale from June? It's still 55 euro full price and that's a little pricey for "Maybe I should test out those SW/ST mods".

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pimpmust posted:

Wasn't the last 50% sale from June? It's still 55 euro full price and that's a little pricey for "Maybe I should test out those SW/ST mods".

It's half price on Matrix, full price on Steam.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

Possibly changing in a couple of weeks because of some Christian religious thing about a baby.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

This should get you on your feet

Thanks.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

LordPants posted:

Yes, but is Train Nazi happy?

"But what about the infrastructureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (14 pp expenditure every 2 turns)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

uPen posted:

Do I still get a steam key?

I'm a little worried with these download speeds of the Matrix site:
- 56K Modem: 23hr 20min- 56K Modem: 41hr 40min (Because they also sell the non-Universe version)

:ohdear:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 14, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hav posted:

Possibly changing in a couple of weeks because of some Christian religious thing about a baby.

You get a steam key if you register your matrix serial with the devs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pimpmust posted:

- 56K Modem: 23hr 20min- 56K Modem: 41hr 40min (Because they also sell the non-Universe version)

You can get a steam key, just register your matrix games serial here http://www.slitherine.com/login?return_url=/my_page/steam_serials and it'll give you a key for steam

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I like how they have a link to the Steam page right there on the Matrix Store but I have to buy it from their store *and* register on Slitherines site to get a steam key :wtc:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Grognard Games Megathread: You'll have to pry our software from our cold dead hands

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pimpmust posted:

Matrix's download speeds are actually reasonable. Not steam speed but unless it's a big release day it usually doesn't take more than a few minutes to download games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

I like how they have a link to the Steam page right there on the Matrix Store but I have to buy it from their store *and* register on Slitherines site to get a steam key :wtc:

I like how they have a preview of "a whole chapter" of the manual of WitE when Steam has the entire thing available. Also, I have to download it as a zip instead of opening a .pdf in another tab, like God intended.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

"But what about the infrastructureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (14 pp expenditure every 2 turns)

Sie können nicht zurück geschnitten auf Finanzierung!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hunterhr posted:

Sie können nicht zurück geschnitten auf Finanzierung!

Truck man and train man fighting is the best part of playing the Axis is DC3.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
WITW: What is normal for attrition between turns? I just seem to be losing men like flies during the AI turn but they don't seem to be attacking me?

I have like 2 sieges going down right now, so is that just it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You take attrition just for having units adjacent to enemy counters. Setting them to static will reduce that, but I'm fairly sure you can't do it in WITW.