Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes why don't states override federal law?

That's for the judicial branch to sort out. Would the Supreme Court really rule that its illegal to save your state money on prescription drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

My Imaginary GF posted:

Everyone has enough money to influence regulation; not all individuals are willing to part with it and buy some access to their local electeds. You'd be surprised at just how far $1,000, or even $100 can take you.

So you just expect us to walk into city hall to deliver cocaine or are we supposed to send it through the mail?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's for the judicial branch to sort out. Would the Supreme Court really rule that its illegal to save your state money on prescription drugs?

They would if it directly contradicts existing Federal laws, yes.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

#1 This week we learned that for the first time ever recorded, middle class Americans make up a minority of the population. But back in 1971, 61 percent of all Americans lived in middle class households.

#2 According to the Pew Research Center, the median income of middle class households declined by 4 percent from 2000 to 2014.

#3 The Pew Research Center has also found that median wealth for middle class households dropped by an astounding 28 percent between 2001 and 2013.

#4 In 1970, the middle class took home approximately 62 percent of all income. Today, that number has plummeted to just 43 percent.

#5 There are still 900,000 fewer middle class jobs in America than there were when the last recession began, but our population has gotten significantly larger since that time.

#6 According to the Social Security Administration, 51 percent of all American workers make less than $30,000 a year.

#7 For the poorest 20 percent of all Americans, median household wealth declined from negative 905 dollars in 2000 to negative 6,029 dollars in 2011.

#8 A recent nationwide survey discovered that 48 percent of all U.S. adults under the age of 30 believe that “the American Dream is dead”.

#9 At this point, the U.S. only ranks 19th in the world when it comes to median wealth per adult.

#10 Traditionally, entrepreneurship has been one of the engines that has fueled the growth of the middle class in the United States, but today the level of entrepreneurship in this country is sitting at an all-time low.

#11 If you can believe it, the 20 wealthiest people in this country now have more money than the poorest 152 million Americans combined.

#12 The top 0.1 percent of all American families have about as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent of all American families combined.

#13 If you have no debt and you also have ten dollars in your pocket, that gives you a greater net worth than about 25 percent of all Americans.

#14 The number of Americans that are living in concentrated areas of high poverty has doubled since the year 2000.

#15 An astounding 48.8 percent of all 25-year-old Americans still live at home with their parents.

#16 According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 49 percent of all Americans now live in a home that receives money from the government each month, and nearly 47 million Americans are living in poverty right now.

#17 In 2007, about one out of every eight children in America was on food stamps. Today, that number is one out of every five.

#18 According to Kathryn J. Edin and H. Luke Shaefer, the authors of a new book entitled “$2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America“, there are 1.5 million “ultrapoor” households in the United States that live on less than two dollars a day. That number has doubled since 1996.

#19 46 million Americans use food banks each year, and lines start forming at some U.S. food banks as early as 6:30 in the morning because people want to get something before the food supplies run out.

#20 The number of homeless children in the U.S. has increased by 60 percent over the past six years.

#21 According to Poverty USA, 1.6 million American children slept in a homeless shelter or some other form of emergency housing last year.

#22 The median net worth of families in the United States was $137, 955 in 2007. Today, it is just $82,756.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Where is that from?

Edit: Source: http://endoftheamericandream.com/ar...merica-is-dying

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I've found my favorite headline of the year.

http://www.chron.com/about/article/ut-austin-texas-dildos-mass-farting-fart-protest-6694231.php

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sydin posted:

They would if it directly contradicts existing Federal laws, yes.

That's what folks said about Citizen's United as well. Supremes can change federal law as it pleases them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're wrong, DemeaninDemon. Congressmen pay people to win votes. The United States Treasury, supported by taxpayers like yourself, pays staffers to respond to your correspondance.

If you include a personal story with your correspondance, you're more likely to get a better response.

You may also have it read on the House floor.
I've said it before but I like your lovely Chicago insider technocrat gimmick more than your rear end in a top hat populist gimmick. The latter really just doesn't suit you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vice talked to one of the parents of a victim of the Sandy Hook Massacre and dove into the tire-fire that is the Sandy Hook Truther Movement.

http://www.vice.com/read/sandy-hook-truthers-what-kind-of-person-calls-a-mass-shooting-a-hoax

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

I've said it before but I like your lovely Chicago insider technocrat gimmick more than your rear end in a top hat populist gimmick. The latter really just doesn't suit you.

It seems clear to me by the way Rahm is throwing CPD under the bus that he's angling for a C- or ticket-level inclusion in the Clinton administration.

Question is, if hizzoner goes to Washington, who come next? Lisa really wants Mayor, and while some folk would rather she her run Gubernatorially, she polled first for Mayoral ambition; not to mention all the daddy issues which arise.

Who, then, for Governor? Quinn is so loving disorganized that he actually thinks he'd be good at running again; alas, its time Illinois had someone more Senatorial for Governor. I think Cullerton would make a great Governor, and that Toi could easily succeed him as the next Senate President.

Either way, ya gotta throw Alvarez under the bus to the Feds and try to pin as much as you can on Toni & Berrios.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It seems clear to me by the way Rahm is throwing CPD under the bus that he's angling for a C- or ticket-level inclusion in the Clinton administration.

Question is, if hizzoner goes to Washington, who come next? Lisa really wants Mayor, and while some folk would rather she her run Gubernatorially, she polled first for Mayoral ambition; not to mention all the daddy issues which arise.

Who, then, for Governor? Quinn is so loving disorganized that he actually thinks he'd be good at running again; alas, its time Illinois had someone more Senatorial for Governor. I think Cullerton would make a great Governor, and that Toi could easily succeed him as the next Senate President.

Either way, ya gotta throw Alvarez under the bus to the Feds and try to pin as much as you can on Toni & Berrios.

How is Rahm anywhere near a ticket discussion?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

lol if you think rahm is anywhere near a ticket discussion with his toxic coverup hanging over him

I direct all insinuations of coverup to Anita Alvarez, whose office sat publicly and with sufficient paper trail on Mayor Daley's nephew's murder.

This is Chicago, Warszawa. Everybody hides the bodies. When you look long enough, its inevitable that some turn up. Question is, who looks worse to go down: the state's attorney who refuses to take timely action unless clout is involved, or the former POTUS CoS?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 13, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This owns. It needs to be a large movement.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote to my congressman about refugees this year, and got a very well crafted form letter in response! He was one of 47 Dems to vote for a bill suspending the refugee program earlier this year. He was a coward

quote:

Thank you for contacting me about the resettlement of Syrian refugees. Your opinion is very important to me and my priority is to provide Iowa's Second District with the best representation possible.

America has long been a beacon for those throughout the world seeking refuge. We are a nation of immigrants that enjoys great opportunity, and I believe we have a sacred responsibility to help those fleeing war, terrorism, and violence. I fully support bringing refugees from Syria, Iraq, and other war torn countries into the United States. I have even called on the administration to do more for Syrian refugees, and I support admitting even more to our country.

I absolutely reject the hateful rhetoric and fear mongering that many have expressed toward Muslims following the recent deadly terrorist attack in Paris. Suggesting that we create religious litmus tests or special databases or ID cards for Muslims is un-American, and has absolutely no place in our political discourse. It is abhorrent to use the suffering of a civilian population for political gain, and sowing the seeds of Islamophobia only strengthens the ability of those like ISIS to spread fear and distrust throughout the world.

At the same time, the Administration must provide reasonable security assurances to the American people that in admitting those in need, we do not admit anyone seeking to do us harm. That is simply what the American SAFE Act does, and why I voted in favor of it. It requires our intelligence and homeland security leaders, who themselves have recently stated that there are gaps in our screening process, to determine that each refugee does not pose a threat to American security, and certify to Congress that there is no threat before a refugee is granted admission to the United States. I have been briefed by Administration officials at the highest levels, and I have not been presented with sufficient evidence that this legislation would be unworkable or would further delay what I understand is already a robust screening process.

A vote for this bill was not a vote to block Syrian refugees, or to stop or delay the admission process. And it was most certainly not an accusation that all those seeking refuge in our country are terrorists. Rather, it is a simple request that the administration do its duty to the American people by certifying that among those seeking asylum, no one slips through who aims to do us harm.

I also understand that there are gaps to our security outside of the refugee admission process that must be addressed. I support common sense proposals to close dangerous loopholes in the visa waiver program, and to restrict gun sales to those on the terrorist watch list. These are practical and sensible solutions that should have bipartisan support.

I urge the Obama Administration to do everything it can for victims of conflict who wish to come to the United States, and I will continue to support making sure that our intelligence and homeland security agencies have the resources necessary to keep Americans safe. I recognize that this is a watershed moment for our country, and we will not turn our backs on those in need.

Thank you again for reaching out to me with your thoughts on this important issue. My office is here to assist you with any and all concerns you have, so please do not hesitate to contact me whenever you feel that I can be of assistance. I encourage you to visit my website at https://www.loebsack.house.gov and sign up for email updates to stay informed of the work I am doing for you. I am proud to serve the Second District, and I am committed to working hard for Iowans.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The logical option is to send deep dishes to people until they do what you want or die of heart disease.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

The logical option is to send deep dishes to people until they do what you want or die of heart disease.

Washington didn't drown in pizza without his back to an open window, DemeaninDemon.

He was also wearing women's underwear when he died.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

Washington didn't drown in pizza without his back to an open window, DemeaninDemon.

He was also wearing women's underwear when he died.

It's how we all should go, in shallah

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you want to influence regulation more than that, buy some loving access and speak to them in person.

If you want to merely express your opinion, then call their official office. How many times have you called your Congresscritter this year?

any answer that's more than 3 is likely to be ignored

I dare you to send this to your rep via mail with your real name and address attached, and post the response. So long as you're in-district, most Reps will respond with the politest gently caress you they can muster.

Hahaha, no you're definitely talking out of your rear end on this one.

Letters to your congresscritter are read by unpaid interns (who may or may not be from your state), responded to by a pre-drafted form letter, and are then filed in a congressional database with countless other letters in the same category. Same goes for e-mail, phone calls, carrier pigeon, etc. The interns are basically the poor man's (literally and figuratively) crisis help line and/or impromptu therapist to vent your concerns and plans to raid DC with a march on Washington with other screwed over ex-Navy to hang the bureaucrats from the gallows that will never materialize (yes, this was an actual caller I had once).

These letters are never personally read by the congresscritter. If you go to your state Capitol/Washington DC in person, you will meet with a paid legislative assistant who have a few years experience previously interning for said congresscritter who might or might not pass on your concerns in a batch advisement. Essentially, said LA is an expert on that area and how the congressperson would or wouldn't vote on an issue the concerned constituent brings up (eg healthcare, foreign policy, etc).

Your best bet is to represent an influential major company or think tank and hire the services of an insider lobbying group with a particular ex-congresscritter to use their social/political connections to speak with a congresscritter on the alternate legislative house (ie former rep able to talk to current senator and vice versa) to avoid breaking lobbying laws on recent departure from congress. This costs a lot of money which even your average Joe Middleclassman alone can't part with.

Tl;dr you're making poo poo up, stop while you're ahead.

Source: I was a former DC intern at both a lobbying firm and a congressional office, did lobbying work in my state Capitol on behalf of a non-profit, also did local canvassing for the 2012 election.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 13, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rahm doesn't win votes or pull a donorbase unique to Hillary's, so there's a zero percent chance at all that he's on the ticket

And he infamously didn't play nice with everyone else as Chief of Staff so if he does end up in the cabinet it'll be off to the side running his own department. I don't think it's likely and wouldn't like it but he's in the Clinton circle of friends so there's a non-zero chance of it happening.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Rahm doesn't win votes or pull a donorbase unique to Hillary's, so there's a zero percent chance at all that he's on the ticket

And he infamously didn't play nice with everyone else as Chief of Staff so if he does end up in the cabinet it'll be off to the side running his own department. I don't think it's likely and wouldn't like it but he's in the Clinton circle of friends so there's a non-zero chance of it happening.
I find it hard to believe Clinton is going to involve herself in the mess that is his current administration in Chicago by bringing him onboard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Vice talked to one of the parents of a victim of the Sandy Hook Massacre and dove into the tire-fire that is the Sandy Hook Truther Movement.

http://www.vice.com/read/sandy-hook-truthers-what-kind-of-person-calls-a-mass-shooting-a-hoax

God, that's heartbreaking. A grieving father who feels he's trapped forever in this lovely circle of having to prove that his son was real and murdered to a bunch of people who are openly antagonizing him, at least in part out of petty revenge. I wish somehow that father could walk away. I understand why he doesn't want to, and with other children I probably even agree with him since its terrible that Noah's twin sister will one day have to discover all this poo poo. But still, I wish he could just walk away and find peace.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find it hard to believe Clinton is going to involve herself in the mess that is his current administration in Chicago by bringing him onboard.
I don't think she will either, but I also believe there's a possibility of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Letters to your congresscritter are read by unpaid interns (who may or may not be from your state), responded to by a pre-drafted form letter, and are then filed in a congressional database with countless other letters in the same category.

These letters are never personally read by the congresscritter. If you go to your state Capitol/Washington DC in person, you will meet with a paid legislative assistant who have a few years experience previously interning for said congresscritter who might or might not pass on your concerns in a batch advisement.

Your best bet is to represent an influential major company or think tank and hire the services of an insider lobbying group with a particular ex-congresscritter to use their social/political connections to speak with a congresscritter on the alternate legislative house (ie former rep able to talk to current senator and vice versa) to avoid breaking lobbying laws on recent departure from congress. This costs a lot of money which even your average Joe Middleclassman alone can't part with.

Source: I was a former DC intern at both a lobbying firm and a congressional office, did lobbying work in my state Capitol on behalf of a non-profit, also did local canvassing

Oh poo poo MIGF

Also, this is how it works.

You make better use of your letters to your congressman as emergency toiletpaper.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Letters to your congresscritter are read by unpaid interns (who may or may not be from your state), responded to by a pre-drafted form letter, and are then filed in a congressional database with countless other letters in the same category.

These letters are never personally read by the congresscritter. If you go to your state Capitol/Washington DC in person, you will meet with a paid legislative assistant who have a few years experience previously interning for said congresscritter who might or might not pass on your concerns in a batch advisement. Essentially, said LA is an expert on that area and how the congressperson would or wouldn't vote on an issue the concerned constituent brings up (eg healthcare, foreign policy, etc).

Source: I was a former DC intern at both a lobbying firm and a congressional office, did lobbying work in my state Capitol on behalf of a non-profit, also did local canvassing for the 2012 election.

They are then put into a monthly report given to the Member which shows any trends. If a Member receives an increasing amount of letters on a topic over a period of time, they are likely to respond.

Source: Interns in DC are a dime a dozen. Do you know how the rest of the staff talked about you? You were eyecandy, that's the only reason you existed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So the country is totally hosed and there's no way to ever get it back. Great. I love 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lest you forget, before she was anything else, Clinton was a Chicago Democrat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

They are then put into a monthly report given to the Member which shows any trends. If a Member receives an increasing amount of letters on a topic over a period of time, they are likely to respond.

En masse, not to you personally. Don't move goalposts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I don't think she will either, but I also believe there's a possibility of it.
I see a higher chance he resigns as mayor than the Clintons bring him into their campaign. He's rapidly becoming toxic out there, since it's pretty clear that the shooting tape of that kid was not released until after he won re-election.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

En masse, not to you personally. Don't move goalposts.

They respond to you individually if you include a sufficient check with your correspondence.

Without the check, all you can hope for is for them to respond to trends.

So please, as the end of the quarter approaches, won't you spread holiday cheer while its still allocatable to the primary by making a contribution to your Member's campaign? I know I have, and so should you.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Once again, have you considered registering your complaints with your local Member's constituent services? That is, after all, what they exist for. To hear the banalities of average citizens like yourself and send politely worded letters in response.

Oh my god, what if you could pay like $2 a day to keep someone probated? Lowtax, the CASH MONEY HOES will roll in! :aaaaa:

STAC Goat posted:

God, that's heartbreaking. A grieving father who feels he's trapped forever in this lovely circle of having to prove that his son was real and murdered to a bunch of people who are openly antagonizing him, at least in part out of petty revenge. I wish somehow that father could walk away. I understand why he doesn't want to, and with other children I probably even agree with him since its terrible that Noah's twin sister will one day have to discover all this poo poo. But still, I wish he could just walk away and find peace.

I'll never understand the hoaxers. If it was a conspiracy, wouldn't a more airtight one be the government brainwashing the shooter or getting a true believer in the cause to go do it for real?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

My Imaginary GF posted:

Source: Interns in DC are a dime a dozen. Do you know how the rest of the staff talked about you? You were eyecandy, that's the only reason you existed.

This was unnecessarily mean.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

They respond to you individually if you include a sufficient check with your correspondence.

Without the check, all you can hope for is for them to respond to trends.

So please, as the end of the quarter approaches, won't you spread holiday cheer while its still allocatable to the primary by making a contribution to your Member's campaign? I know I have, and so should you.

:cmon:

Lobbying 101 involves not directly bribing your congressperson. You're supposed to take them out to a nice upscale restaurant like Smith and Wollensky or another steakhouse with a nice view of Georgetown and the Potomac followed up by sharing some fine scotch at your K Street office all for a nice intimate chat together.

If you're going to troll us, at least come up with something more original than a punchline from a Strong Bad email. I recommend sticking to anime waifus instead. The redtext is a nice touch.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 13, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KirbyKhan posted:

"Source: I was a former DC intern at both a lobbying firm and a congressional office"

The truth is often painful in politics. Alas, it's about time someone told them.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:cmon:

Lobbying 101 involves not directly bribing your congressperson. You're supposed to take them out to a nice upscale restaurant like Smith and Wollensky or another steakhouse with a nice view of Georgetown and the Potomac followed up by sharing some fine scotch at your K Street office all for a nice intimate chat together.

If you're going to troll us, at least come up with something more original than a punchline from a Strong Bad email. I recommend sticking to anime waifus instead. Props to whoever bought you the redtext.

Maybe thats how things work in Virginia. We're a bit more honest here in Chicago.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

KirbyKhan posted:

Also demonstrably false. Campaign flyers don't package and address themselves, you know.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'll never understand the hoaxers. If it was a conspiracy, wouldn't a more airtight one be the government brainwashing the shooter or getting a true believer in the cause to go do it for real?

This is the thing that gets me about 9/11 truthers too. Like the administration hiring the attackers to fly the planes for real seems much more likely than the insane ideas about bombs being planted, and missiles taking the place of planes.

But I think most conspiracy theories are formed through coming up with a conclusion and then spinning up a story that works for it, usually latching on one thing that doesn't jibe with their own knowledge (or ignorance) and spinning it out into something huge. A mistaken belief about how bullets would have affected Kennedy's head and then you spin up all this stuff about multiple Oswalds and everyone from Cuba to the CIA involved in one form or another, and then a vast after conspiracy to kill all those who spoke out or provided information.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also demonstrably false. Campaign flyers don't package and address themselves, you know.

You're funny. Let guess, next you're gonna tell me how field has value beyond moving 3-4 points for 40-80k.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Christ will you people stop responding to him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're funny. Let guess, next you're gonna tell me how field has value beyond moving 3-4 points for 40-80k.

Okay, you win. You've convinced me I am a worthless peon beneath consideration and whose existence is futile in a meaningless universe. I bow to your wisdom in this matter.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

On Terra Firma posted:

Christ will you people stop responding to him.

It's funny though. His "throw money at the problem" gimmick is pretty hilarious.

He's still a poo poo head but that's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Are Bernie's chances holding up?
2. Would a GOP-Trump schism benefit or impair moderate Clinton's election chances were she to become nominee?
3. Would Clinton even try to scale back predatory conglomerate bullshit with the media?
4. Why is studying for statistics finals so goddamn hard?
5. Should I stop pouting about bullshit all the time and just give in to the schadenfreude?
6. MIGF could you kindly shut the gently caress up?

• Locked thread