Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

subpar anachronism posted:

For the record lemon ice cubes aren't even mentioned in the article. Their advice is to freeze an entire lemon and then shred bits of pith and frozen lemon directly into every single thing you eat. Because cancer big pharma blah blah. Because you will experience a 'taste you have never experienced before'. I feel dumber just for having read this.

That's a delicious way to get rid of your teeth.

twistedmentat posted:

This reminds me of the woman who claimed "worms" would come out of her skin if she rubbed it with a lemon. She claimed they were put there through geoengineering from chemtrails. To the credit of the chemtards, many of them realized it was just the lemons pulp.

Not to be rude, but I am pretty sure seeing bugs come out of your skin is schizophrenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cash crab posted:

Not to be rude, but I am pretty sure seeing bugs come out of your skin is schizophrenia.

I don't care what your excuse is gently caress every single one of those refugee pigs From the 9 months pregnant whore 6 day old 90 year old I don't care if it's a girl or a boy Christian Muslim Atheist gently caress them all And I couldn't give a rat's rear end what happens to any of them Now Let's take care of our own Jump on that bandwagon You Hypocritical Politically correct Sheep

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

^^^ so is this just un-quoted quotes, or a really boring gimmick?

Anyway I don't do that with every lemon I've eaten because pooping into ice cube trays is embarrassing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Scathach posted:

I am from South Africa and things are hell here for white people. Take heed of these warnings. America is following the same path. You need to stop what is happening before it gets too far

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I saw Chappie, he's right.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am from South Africa and things are hell here for white people. Take heed of these warnings. America is following the same path. You need to stop what is happening before it gets too far

Just googled "South Africa beach" out of curiosity and saw a ton of happy white people, many hanging out with adorable penguins.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Scathach posted:

Anyway I don't do that with every lemon I've eaten because pooping into ice cube trays is embarrassing.

LoB stares into the abyss and brings it back to us.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Boywhiz88 posted:

LoB stares into the abyss and brings it back to us.

Acceptable. Like any dirty job, I guess someone has to do it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I liked dirty jobs with mike rowe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So long as LOB sticks to manageable madness and does not indulge in another Dozerfleet word vomit again, I can tolerate him.

Anyways, here's some Canadian content. Trudeau won the election, so a lot of the more hardcore conservatives have been really salty. One of my highschool acquaintances is a hardline conservative, and he posted this the other day:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Arcsquad12 posted:

So long as LOB sticks to manageable madness and does not indulge in another Dozerfleet word vomit again, I can tolerate him.

Anyways, here's some Canadian content. Trudeau won the election, so a lot of the more hardcore conservatives have been really salty. One of my highschool acquaintances is a hardline conservative, and he posted this the other day:

The irony is delicious. The only reason Trudeau's photoshoot is top news in Canada is because whiny conservatives are making it top news. That he's actually making headway into the long ignored murdered and missing Native women doesn't matter to these shitheads.

And for those who don't know, Canada's elected leader looks like this:

So him doing photoshoots is for the betterment of us all.
:swoon:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The irony is delicious. The only reason Trudeau's photoshoot is top news in Canada is because whiny conservatives are making it top news. That he's actually making headway into the long ignored murdered and missing Native women doesn't matter to these shitheads.

And for those who don't know, Canada's elected leader looks like this:

So him doing photoshoots is for the betterment of us all.
:swoon:

I heard about the inquiries. They're actually making some good headway, which is amazing because he's been in office, what, a month? Someone's already been arrested. I love that the primary criticism I've heard about him so far is that he's young and hot. Like, wow. Boo-hoo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

I heard about the inquiries. They're actually making some good headway, which is amazing because he's been in office, what, a month? Someone's already been arrested. I love that the primary criticism I've heard about him so far is that he's young and hot. Like, wow. Boo-hoo.

It really is the greatest thing. I have a few family members just frothing over their keyboards over it all. But since I'm in Alberta, lately it's all about how life is better when people can be dismembered or killed on farms and no one is held responsible.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Picnic Princess posted:

It really is the greatest thing. I have a few family members just frothing over their keyboards over it all. But since I'm in Alberta, lately it's all about how life is better when people can be dismembered or killed on farms and no one is held responsible.

Ahaha please post some of this, I love Albertan conservative tears, I've missed em since I moved away :allears:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

MissEchelon posted:

Ahaha please post some of this, I love Albertan conservative tears, I've missed em since I moved away :allears:

I specifically avoid it when I can. Bad enough my Albertan father said America went to hell when Obama was elected. He didn't like when I pointed out that Obama's still pretty right wing by Canadian standards.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I was an idiot on social media for throwing in on an discussion about safe spaces. Some old comedian who no one cares about says something about how colleges should be places where you're gonna have to think and not be coddled. Someone brought up the Jerry Sienfeld thing and I was "uh yea old comedian with lovely material whines that college students found his act out of touch and offesensive. Lots of young comedians do really well on college tours and have no problem, even people like Daniel Tosh, because they're actually funny to kids. There is no mobs of students running them off because they failed the use a gender neutral pronoun. I think if you're an entertainer and can't take criticism you're the one with the thing skin that needs safe spaces."
And the respond "clearly you're ignorant of the situation on college campuses" and links to a reason.com article that's based on that stupid coddling of the American mind article that uses a lot of anecdotes and second hand stories as fact and says kids are all pussies these days.

Yea, I bowed out, known that some dickhead is smugly sitting there going "showed that skeleton!", when really I just realized there was no reason to engage someone so far up the MRA cultures rear end.

I mean seriously, the only people that I could find actually having an impact based on the whole thing was people with serious complains or faculty that were straight up racist/sexist/whatever.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Brick Shipment posted:

I play a virtual pet game because somehow I grew up and never got sick of them. There are other adults that also grew up and never got sick of them, but lots of them are this:

Wait, why would you want someone to refer to you as them/they?

My housemate is fat slob who irritates me with his lack of housework and constant whinny attitude. I find this triggering does it mean I can use his credit card?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Some people don't identify as either male or female and thus prefer neutral pronouns. Although not grammatically correct in formal settings, in casual settings people will often use "they" to refer to a given individual. For example, "There was a total jerk in the grocery store today. They yelled a the cashier for no reason." "They" is often preferred to more politically linked pronouns like "zie".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I use "it"

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ am I being a dick if I say that sounds like a real pain in the arse?

As a disclaimer I'm bi and I'm always pro gently caress gender stereotypes, I couldn't care less what anyone likes to do with their own dick/vagina or if anyone wants to be a dude or be a lady& I have/have had many gay friends and was brought up around my mum's post-op transgender friend who I'm very found of.
So I'm coming to this from a place of not trying to enforce anything but ..... You are a gender, you can be any gender you want even and poo poo if you decide you don't like one more than the other that's cool but getting all lovely because someone can't remember/doesn't care to use a system of neutral speech that nobody uses in real life then gently caress off.

Honestly I don't keep up with this poo poo , I'm not even sure what CIS means.

In short what a self-indulgent arsehole.

EDIT: also it says the girlfriend is pansexual???
Wouldn't pansexual mean the girlfriend is happy to gently caress animals & kids & toasters? or is it just some twatty internet word for likes girls & guys?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Dec 13, 2015

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I thought we established that :happened:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My housemate is fat slob who irritates me with his lack of housework and constant whinny attitude. I find this triggering does it mean I can use his credit card?

Some of us have identities that fall outside of the traditional gender binary, and feel that neither the masculine nor feminine pronoun set is accurate to apply to us.

Goosed it. posted:

Some people don't identify as either male or female and thus prefer neutral pronouns. Although not grammatically correct in formal settings, in casual settings people will often use "they" to refer to a given individual. For example, "There was a total jerk in the grocery store today. They yelled a the cashier for no reason." "They" is often preferred to more politically linked pronouns like "zie".

Kind of. Male/female can be loaded terms as they apply to identity, and should really only be used to talk about someone's gender assignment at birth. Generally, man/woman or masculine/feminine are far better terms.

As far as the singular they being grammatically incorrect, I have news for you!

quote:

There was one change, though, that I knew would cause controversy. For many years, I’ve been rooting for — but stopping short of employing — what is known as the singular they as the only sensible solution to English’s lack of a gender-neutral third-person singular personal pronoun. (Everyone has their own opinion about this.) He once filled that role, but a male default hasn’t been palatable for decades. Using she in a sort of linguistic affirmative action strikes me as patronizing. Alternating he and she is silly, as are he/she, (s)he and attempts at made-up pronouns. The only thing standing in the way of they has been the appearance of incorrectness — the lack of acceptance among educated readers.

What finally pushed me from acceptance to action on gender-neutral pronouns was the increasing visibility of gender-neutral people. The Post has run at least one profile of a person who identifies as neither male nor female and specifically requests they and the like instead of he or she. Trans and genderqueer awareness will raise difficult questions down the road, with some people requesting newly invented or even individually made-up pronouns. The New York Times, which unlike The Post routinely uses the honorifics Mr., Mrs., Miss and Ms., recently used the gender-neutral Mx. at one subject’s request. But simply allowing they for a gender-nonconforming person is a no-brainer. And once we’ve done that, why not allow it for the most awkward of those he or she situations that have troubled us for so many years?

EXAKT Science has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Dec 13, 2015

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

hosed up if true.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Yes. Respecting somebody's gender identity is one of the most basic ways to respect them as a person, and if you're unwilling to do that, then you're being an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

As a disclaimer I'm bi and I'm always pro gently caress gender stereotypes, I couldn't care less what anyone likes to do with their own dick/vagina or if anyone wants to be a dude or be a lady& I have/have had many gay friends and was brought up around my mum's post-op transgender friend who I'm very found of.
So I'm coming to this from a place of not trying to enforce anything but ..... You are a gender, you can be any gender you want even and poo poo if you decide you don't like one more than the other that's cool but getting all lovely because someone can't remember/doesn't care to use a system of neutral speech that nobody uses in real life then gently caress off.

Wouldn't pansexual mean the girlfriend is happy to gently caress animals & kids & toasters? or is it just some twatty internet word for likes girls & guys?

Cis- is a prefix meaning "on the same side". It's the antonym of trans, and when applied to gender, simply means "someone whose gender identity aligns with the gender they were assigned at birth."

Pansexual means that you are attracted to people regardless of their gender. In practice, similar to bisexuality, but without the implicit acceptance of the gender binary that bisexuality has.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I bowed out, known that some dickhead is smugly sitting there going "showed that skeleton!", when really I just realized there was no reason to engage someone so far up the MRA cultures rear end.

Only sort of related, but I am always strangely disappointed with myself for not continuing to touch poop that I have already touched because of that idea.

Case in point: there's this guy who I met at a party who immediately went home and added me to Facebook (which is weird because I don't use my real name on Facebook precisely so people can't do this). Anyway, not surprisingly he turned out to be a batshit chemtrail "pot cures cancer" weirdo. He posted this thing about how if weed dispensaries here start being run by the government than they will start injecting them with antifreeze to scare people off of pot, just like they did during Prohibition! I tried to explain that a) the government wouldn't legalize and tax an item and then try to kill people using it so they could de-legalize it, and b) Canada's prohibition period was hilariously short in most provinces anyway and c) ???? when did that happen? Most people poisoned themselves trying to make bootleg liquor.

He retorted with the least intelligible gobbledegook I've ever read and I just gave up. Some little part of me is terrified that he realized I wasn't going to respond and he assumed I read his response and went, "poo poo u Right, thanks"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
While we're on the subject of the singular they, I'd like to point out that it has existed as far back as Shakespeare and also that linguistic prescriptivists should go gently caress themselves.

e: looking at you, Strunk and White

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
You're all missing the fact that it's quite likely headmates that have led to the desire for they pronoun and thus you can go back to not feeling guilty about laughing at how dumb they are.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cash crab posted:

Only sort of related, but I am always strangely disappointed with myself for not continuing to touch poop that I have already touched because of that idea.

Case in point: there's this guy who I met at a party who immediately went home and added me to Facebook (which is weird because I don't use my real name on Facebook precisely so people can't do this). Anyway, not surprisingly he turned out to be a batshit chemtrail "pot cures cancer" weirdo. He posted this thing about how if weed dispensaries here start being run by the government than they will start injecting them with antifreeze to scare people off of pot, just like they did during Prohibition! I tried to explain that a) the government wouldn't legalize and tax an item and then try to kill people using it so they could de-legalize it, and b) Canada's prohibition period was hilariously short in most provinces anyway and c) ???? when did that happen? Most people poisoned themselves trying to make bootleg liquor.

He retorted with the least intelligible gobbledegook I've ever read and I just gave up. Some little part of me is terrified that he realized I wasn't going to respond and he assumed I read his response and went, "poo poo u Right, thanks"

To be fair the US Government did poison alcohol to prevent it from being used, but not in secret. Cases were marked, but unscrupulous bootleggers used it anyways because gently caress their customers, they got paid and they're criminals. Deaths caused by this was one of the reasons people began to question prohibition in larger numbers. Not because of the poisoned hooch, but because the Temperance League and the Anti-Saloon League were very cavalier about the deaths claiming "Well, they were dirty criminals and probably Catholics so they deserved to die".

But yea, there's nothing worse than interjecting some reality into someones derpy argument and then realizing you've done the wrong thing because while you were approaching it with reason, they're so invested in their system of beliefs, they'd spew garbage at you all day from suspect sources and you either have to give up or invest time you could be using productively like watching cat videos or eating pringles to counter them.

Reminds of that FB group i briefly belonged to called I Don't Like What Stephen Harper is Doing to Canada. It was all fairly reasonable until suddenly "Jews are controlling our government and blah blah elders of zion quote" and i questioned this sudden outburst, and got a ton of infowars links. The owner actually said "I see you haven't been enlightened by Alex Jones". I left that group super quick. Then I got spammed by the owner again with infowars links. I straight up told him "i don't want to hear your crazy nazi poo poo" and he got super pissed and threatened to find my home and teach me a thing about who really runs the world.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

You should read a book sometime it would be good for you.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

Yes. Respecting somebody's gender identity is one of the most basic ways to respect them as a person, and if you're unwilling to do that, then you're being an rear end in a top hat.

Whoa there, I'm more than happy to respect somebody's wishes on that front just and I guess you'll roll your eyes at this but being gender neutral is such an unknown thing in general society that someone being super prissy that someone refers to them by gender just seems a bit over the top.
There's a big difference (at least to me) between being a oval office and ignoring someone's chosen gender (generally to humiliate or show disapproval) and not remembering to use words in a gender neutral tone which isn't the way your used to using them.

Personally this is first I've heard of people seriously having issue with having to be gender.
I mean people go up and down the scale of femininity & masculinity but they still have a gender, whether they care about "gender roles" and nonsense like that is a different thing but they are still a dude or a girl.

I'm not trying to be an arsehole and again I'm fine with people doing whatever makes them happy but I'm kinda fascinated how can someone be gender neutral and don't you feel at by making such a thing about it it's just something that's being overthought?

That sounds super-dicky and it's not meant to but I'll leave there just to totally honest.

Edit: not that you have to explain or justify your personal viewpoint, I'm just interested.

Double Edit: ignore this whole post really, I sound like an arse and I am being kinda judgemental about something I honestly don't know anything about and people should be free to feel secure about themselves whatever form that takes.
Sorry if it seemed like an attack or something it really wasn't.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Dec 13, 2015

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Eponine posted:

You should read a book sometime it would be good for you.

Sorry I don't keep up with the internet overthink your sexuality crowd guess that means I'm an ignorant gently caress that doesn't read and a literal nazi.
Honestly gently caress off, I don't believe CIS has ever come up in any book I've read or any conversation I've had.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Sorry I don't keep up with the internet overthink your sexuality crowd guess that means I'm an ignorant gently caress that doesn't read and a literal nazi.
Honestly gently caress off, I don't believe CIS has ever come up in any book I've read or any conversation I've had.

That's because CIS doesn't come up to 99% of society.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
and I thought LOB was gonna be the one to get this thread gassed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair the US Government did poison alcohol to prevent it from being used, but not in secret. Cases were marked, but unscrupulous bootleggers used it anyways because gently caress their customers, they got paid and they're criminals. Deaths caused by this was one of the reasons people began to question prohibition in larger numbers. Not because of the poisoned hooch, but because the Temperance League and the Anti-Saloon League were very cavalier about the deaths claiming "Well, they were dirty criminals and probably Catholics so they deserved to die".

But yea, there's nothing worse than interjecting some reality into someones derpy argument and then realizing you've done the wrong thing because while you were approaching it with reason, they're so invested in their system of beliefs, they'd spew garbage at you all day from suspect sources and you either have to give up or invest time you could be using productively like watching cat videos or eating pringles to counter them.

Reminds of that FB group i briefly belonged to called I Don't Like What Stephen Harper is Doing to Canada. It was all fairly reasonable until suddenly "Jews are controlling our government and blah blah elders of zion quote" and i questioned this sudden outburst, and got a ton of infowars links. The owner actually said "I see you haven't been enlightened by Alex Jones". I left that group super quick. Then I got spammed by the owner again with infowars links. I straight up told him "i don't want to hear your crazy nazi poo poo" and he got super pissed and threatened to find my home and teach me a thing about who really runs the world.

I guess what was weird was that he was talking about the Canadian government poisoning pot. Based on the fact that we went dry for a few months during WWI and everyone quickly went back to drinking because it was left up to provincial jurisdiction IIRC correctly.

Also: HAHAHAH. gently caress. I love crazy Facebook groups. I should go look some up now. Always good for a larf.

You seem really passionate about a subject you've admitted you have zero background in.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Whoa there, I'm more than happy to respect somebody's wishes

I'm not trying to be an arsehole and again I'm fine with people doing whatever makes them happy but

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Honestly gently caress off

RIP this thread, it was good while it lasted

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

cash crab posted:

You seem really passionate about a subject you've admitted you have zero background in.

I'm sure which post your referring to but if it's me maybe going on too much about the whole gender neutral thing then yea I guess but this is honestly the first time I've heard of it being a thing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I honestly thought it was going to take longer to find something kooky. (Public pages)

Imagine actually suggesting the electric chair for taking a site down. Imagine being like that.

lfield
May 10, 2008
If you don't know Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaul you need to study your Roman history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

American living in Canada. My father posted this bullshit.

What I learned from this video:
Some clinics are closed on Sunday. They only try one.

When you come into the ER with a fake wrist sprain, you are not taken very seriously in relation to people who are actually in need of care, having heart attacks and stuff. What kind of person believes that it's first come first serve in an ER, or that even if their wrist was sprained that it isn't just best to wait for the clinic to open on Monday?

When you can't get a random blood test they let themselves be referred to a private (expensive) clinic. Because Canada's not interested in wasting tax dollars on fakers. They guys from the video act like this is their only, only option. gently caress these guys.

So, in conclusion: as warped a view as I expected.