Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Grouchio posted:

1. Are Bernie's chances holding up?
2. Would a GOP-Trump schism benefit or impair moderate Clinton's election chances were she to become nominee?
3. Would Clinton even try to scale back predatory conglomerate bullshit with the media?
4. Why is studying for statistics finals so goddamn hard?
5. Should I stop pouting about bullshit all the time and just give in to the schadenfreude?
6. MIGF could you kindly shut the gently caress up?

1. What chances?
2. It would 100% guarantee her win.
3. lol
4. Get off the forums
5. Drink more.
6. Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Grouchio posted:

2. Would a GOP-Trump schism benefit or impair moderate Clinton's election chances were she to become nominee?
3. Would Clinton even try to scale back predatory conglomerate bullshit with the media?
5. Should I stop pouting about bullshit all the time and just give in to the schadenfreude?

He remains a long shot, though he appears to be holding his ground in New Hampshire

Benefit

No

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

1. They're holding right at 0% so long as Clinton's breathing just like they've been since the media gave up the pretense Biden might run.
2. Republicans having to deal with a third party candidate are what won Bill Clinton's elections both times, so what do you think that means this time?
3. What does this word salad mean? Rephrase.
4. Because you keep roleplaying chicken little.
5. I advise baking some bread
6. If he does that, Chicago will explode

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Grouchio posted:

To make this claim you must first provide an adequate rejection of the null hypothesis.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

1. This is a foreign policy election, and Bernie finds foreign policy too "boring" to learn.

2. Trump is making this election a referendum on whether the islam of the arab world is compatible with American values.

3. Depends what C-level slot she appoints Rahm to.

4. Stats is, like, the loving easiest of mathematics. Its all about averages inbetween

5. You should find a local candidate you like and start paying to attend their dinners. Alternatively, you could attend Jeb! dinners with six courses and foi gras for only $35/ticket

6. Buy me plat and we can negotiate a period of non-posting in the USPol thread over PM's

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

To make this claim you must first provide an adequate rejection of the null hypothesis.
Ummm...."Go gently caress yourself finals?"

Also in summation: If the white working class is only getting angrier, wouldn't that imply that the US in the long run is getting less and less liberal, bringing the country closer to dictatorship?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 13, 2015

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grouchio posted:

1. Sorry, but he never had chances. Maybe if Clinton gets nuked from orbit and the GOP nominates Trump. Even then though.
2. Would certainly benefit in terms of securing the presidency, but has the potential to murder Dems down ticket is it brings more shitheads than usual out of the woodwork.
3. No.
4. Alcohol helps.
5. See 4.
6. Too kawaii to comply.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean I think you were trying to say "media conglomerates are bad, and somehow new" but American media has been heavily consolidated ever since the 1920s - and before the 1920s they might as well have been because only a few rich people owned and controlled all media you'd ever encounter in your area (due to the capital costs of pre-consumer-telecommunications media). And even though they were nominally independent, most media outlets tightly toed one of a few political movements' party lines explicitly.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

Ummm...."Go gently caress yourself finals?"

Also in summation: If the white working class is only getting angrier, wouldn't that imply that the US in the long run is getting less and less liberal, bringing the country closer to dictatorship?

The white population of America is getting poorer, while the poor non-white population has a government safety net which prevents them from seeming to continue to get poorer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grouchio posted:

The bottom started to fall out for Bernmentum after he didn't make any gains in the first debate, and Hillary really cemented her position in the Benghazi Committee Hearing

I'm still gonna vote for him in the primary if I can, mind, but his odds don't look good

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fishmech posted:

I mean I think you were trying to say "media conglomerates are bad, and somehow new" but American media has been heavily consolidated ever since the 1920s - and before the 1920s they might as well have been because only a few rich people owned and controlled all media you'd ever encounter in your area (due to the capital costs of pre-consumer-telecommunications media). And even though they were nominally independent, most media outlets tightly toed one of a few political movements' party lines explicitly.

Yes, Yellow Journalism, Hearst newspapers, and the Spanish-American War were all A Thing even back in the late 1800s.

Consider Cuba in the late 1800s to be Iraq-lite in terms of manufactured controversy to suit preexisting territorial ambitions in the Caribbean. "Remember the Maine!" and all that.

Speaking of the late 1800s, I sincerely wish we had the likes of muckrakers and Upton Sinclair again in this day and age. :sigh:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

The bottom started to fall out for Bernmentum after he didn't make any gains in the first debate, and Hillary really cemented her position in the Benghazi Committee Hearing

I'm still gonna vote for him in the primary if I can, mind, but his odds don't look good

This is a foreign policy election, and Bernie Sanders would rather go to bed than discuss foreign policy.

You can feel that Bern filter through his campaign.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grouchio posted:

To win, he'd require momentum from early wins in NH and IA and Clinton's basically got Iowa in the bag.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My Imaginary GF posted:

The white population of America is getting poorer, while the poor non-white population has a government safety net which prevents them from seeming to continue to get poorer.

You are truly the master of the non sequitur

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Yes, Yellow Journalism, Hearst newspapers, and the Spanish-American War were all A Thing even back in the late 1800s.

Consider Cuba in the late 1800s to be Iraq-lite in terms of manufactured controversy to suit preexisting territorial ambitions in the Caribbean. "Remember the Maine!" and all that.

Speaking of the late 1800s, I sincerely wish we had the likes of muckrakers and Upton Sinclair again in this day and age. :sigh:

We won the Spanish-American war, and could win more wars like it if only we were not afraid to learn from history and repeat its policy successes.

stinkles1112 posted:

You are truly the master of the non sequitur

I do not know what those words mean.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My impression was that the current attitude of media conglomerates consisted of stifling creativity and expression all across the board (looking at youtube strikes, flanderdization of once-great channels and shows, excessive monetization of video game industries through lovely DLC/price packs, etc) - and that it is threatening to send the left back into the dark ages.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Important fact to consider that Trump's 40% poll numbers come only from the 39% registered Republicans. His voting base is also mostly the most radical (and therefore loudest) people. The Republicans have had an issue in the past when they would exaggerate their own views to gain the support of radical conservative voters and win the primary, but then get crushed in the general election because they made themselves look like a crazy rear end in a top hat to the rest of the nation. Trump is no different, if anything he's an exaggeration of that issue. He might be completely trouncing in the primaries, but I don't think his voting base is gonna extend much beyond those radical republicans. Believe it or not most Americans are moderate and Trump either freaks them the hell out or is a sideshow act. Bottom line: Clinton is probably gonna be president (*sigh* good enough i guess) and Trump is going to lose the general election, and the GOP is going to go down in flames with him because he's taken the schism in the party that started with the Tea Party movement and made it grow three sizes.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Grouchio posted:

My impression was that the current attitude of media conglomerates consisted of stifling creativity and expression all across the board (looking at youtube strikes, flanderdization of once-great channels and shows, excessive monetization of video game industries through lovely DLC/price packs, etc) - and that it is threatening to send the left back into the dark ages.

Can you explain the things mentioned in your parenthetical and how they contribute to the conclusion you reach?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

Can you explain the things mentioned in your parenthetical and how they contribute to the conclusion you reach?

Political fundraisers are like DLC's for your citizenship: There's a steam sale on them at the end of every quarter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

Yeah this is all completely bullshit, to be frank. You clearly don't remember the older days of video games where they'd instead chop your game up into "expansion packs" or simply rerelease the same games multiple times in a row with semi-major changes, at full price, rather than having DLC to use. Oh and incidentally, the average price you'd pay for a brand new game then wis equivalent to $100 or more in today's money.

And media conglomerates definitely aren't stifling "creativity and expression". You know when they did? Pre 1970s TV. Or the movie industry between roughly the early 1930s and the late 1960s (thanks hays code). Plus there's whole dang internet. And what are you even going on with for the "once great channels and shows"? I hardly know of any of them that are going more Christian and less controversial.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Warszawa posted:

I think he's saying that corporate reliance on safe, profitable entertainment media is damaging to free speech and creativity. Why he thinks this is a recent phenomenon when film studios were becoming brutally powerful monopolies like the day after the medium was discovered I have no idea.

Independent media, from films to games, have literally never prospered as much as they do now. Minecraft was made by a greasy nerd in his basement and has made like a trillion dollars or something

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 13, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

I'm not sure I follow, can you explain in detail how dlc is helping send the left back into the dark ages?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
At least with expansion packs you more or less had complete products versus Bethesda DLC horse armor horse poo poo. v:shobon:v

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If you wanted to support independent media, you should've watched Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

If you wanted to support independent media, you should've watched Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending.

Guh, that involves going out to a movie theaters... and $12. Why can't my blog posts be just as good as currency?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

At least with expansion packs you more or less had complete products versus Bethesda DLC horse armor horse poo poo. v:shobon:v

Good ones, sure. A lot of them didn't run at all without the main game, cost nearly as much as buying a whole new game, and barely added anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A $35 expansion pack in 1995 would cost about $54 now, and I doubt many people would pay that much for something like Brood War (or maybe people would, going by the Starcraft 2 release plan).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh my god, what if you could pay like $2 a day to keep someone probated?

Literally no one would be able to post ever and you know what on second thought let's roll.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Grouchio posted:

RIP TLC and the History Channel.

Just wait until Oculus-esque VR and accessories really take off. It'll be like the future in Futurama where the apocalypse happens because everyone is shut up in their rooms forever with their virtual waifus. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also, the reason why the History Channel turned out the way it did is that you can only do stories about WW2 so many times and no one gives a poo poo about Random 1500s Central Asian Country so pretty quick you run out of content.

But that's okay, because all it says is that 24 hour cable channels are a terrible idea.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

Literally no one would be able to post ever and you know what on second thought let's roll.

The only political cause truly worth donating to

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

computer parts posted:

Also, the reason why the History Channel turned out the way it did is that you can only do stories about WW2 so many times and no one gives a poo poo about Random 1500s Central Asian Country so pretty quick you run out of content.

But that's okay, because all it says is that 24 hour cable channels are a terrible idea.

A documentary on cheese and beer got me and my friends to go to a store and buy Limburger.

For that it should burn.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollismason posted:

That sounds really interesting , please make a thread or something. Seriously. I'm interesting.

It's like playing eve online without the spaceships.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

computer parts posted:

Don't forget that 90% of the Hitler Channel era content was reruns from when A&E was primarily WW2 bullshit, so it wasn't even new.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

RIP TLC and the History Channel.

Just wait until Oculus-esque VR and accessories really take off. It'll be like the future in Futurama where the apocalypse happens because everyone is shut up in their rooms forever with their virtual waifus. :v:

Let's be honest. TLC's content when it was a publicly owned educational channel in the 80s was boring, and their stuff after privatization and before going "gently caress it, all reality all the time" was always like cut rate versions of PBS and other educational sources.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

computer parts posted:

Modern Marvels was absolutely the poo poo as a kid growing up though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Modern Marvels was absolutely the poo poo as a kid growing up though.

These are still apparently going on. Which kind of illustrates my point about running out of ideas.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

DemeaninDemon posted:

The logical option is to send deep dishes to people until they do what you want or die of heart disease.

Send them to the Middle East, I know I'm in no condition to do anything as strenous at killing people after eating that poo poo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Don't forget that 90% of the Hitler Channel era content was reruns from when A&E was primarily WW2 bullshit, so it wasn't even new.

Let's be honest. TLC's content when it was a publicly owned educational channel in the 80s was boring, and their stuff after privatization and before going "gently caress it, all reality all the time" was always like cut rate versions of PBS and other educational sources.

Robot wars kicked loving rear end.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh my god, what if you could pay like $2 a day to keep someone probated? Lowtax, the CASH MONEY HOES will roll in! :aaaaa:

A Benjamin to ban someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

computer parts posted:

These are still apparently going on. Which kind of illustrates my point about running out of ideas.

Don't care. :colbert: I'll defend Modern Marvels until the day I die.

• Locked thread