Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Anyone have any opinion on Chris Hedges, considering one of his new books came out this year?

I read a collection of his columns last year called "The World As It Is" and enjoyed them. To be honest, however, part of me was worried that he was going too far with the doom and gloom and I was lapping it up.

The other day I revisited his column on Obamacare and I realized this guy is spot on. Hedges said things about the ACA that I never heard from too many other media sources. Basically he says the law is garbage that forces people to buy defective products. Now that more of the law has been implemented, we can see this. The law also does not stop insurance companies from jacking up their prices - and they will be shooting up in 2016.

This is right wing healthcare reform, folks, donned in the progressive costume. A drat shame Hedges was correct in 2010:

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/obamas_health_care_bill_is_enough_to_make_you_sick_20100712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hedges is a great writer who hasn't had a new thought in over a decade.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Chris Hedges is a plagiarist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

I confuse him with the man who ran for the Democratic nomination, but already dropped out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Swan Oat posted:

I heard he only copies his own work?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I heard he only copies his own work?

That counts.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yeah he does good work but then just repeats it ad nauseam.

He doesn't just do this in writing either. I've listened to podcasts where he's a guest and it's literally the exact same spiel over and over again, word for word.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

berzerker posted:

There are about a billion PhDs each year willing to give their efforts to generating valuable, interesting content if the History Channel actually gave a poo poo. There are infinite awesome historical stories out there to be told.

Check out Extra History! they just completed a series about John Snow's efforts to curb the London cholera outbreak.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

So a "privacy" group is trying to get a ballot measure on the California ballot in 2016 that would let you sue both businesses and people for "violating your privacy" by making you afraid to use the bathroom because there's a transgender person in there. Effectively a $4,000 bounty on reporting people using the "wrong" bathroom.

quote:

“There’s just a sense when you go into a bathroom, into a stall where you’re disrobing to use a toilet, there’s a sense you should have people of the same gender around you.”
Wow, women must go to the bathroom totally differently than I thought.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

When was the last time the Iowa primary actually chose the candidate who became the Republican nominee? I'm pretty sure in 2012 they chose Santorum or Ron Paul.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Gail Wynand posted:

I mean honestly who doesn't enjoy a good pants-down peepee? But that's just taking it too far. It gets chilly in bathrooms.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Rename to the George Constanza Law

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My impression of Iowa voters is their bizarre sense of entitlement mean that the metrics they vote for candidates are no way representational of anywhere else in the country.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

limp_cheese posted:

When was the last time the Iowa primary actually chose the candidate who became the Republican nominee? I'm pretty sure in 2012 they chose Santorum or Ron Paul.

George Dubya

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

Besides being petty and dumb, this is infinitely ripe for abuse. If it passes, look forward to older/stronger/not-conventionally-attractive women to be rotinely accused and have to drop trou in front of some sort of state observer, I guess? To prove they are women.

Small government rules.

And let's not even get into the bullying potential. "Jen is juch a lesbo bitch, let's serially report her as trans in every bathroom in town!"

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Besides being petty and dumb, this is infinitely ripe for abuse. If it passes, look forward to older/stronger/not-conventionally-attractive women to be rotinely accused and have to drop trou in front of some sort of state observer, I guess? To prove they are women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfKvP4vSL0 (at 1:20)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's really a total disaster of a haircut though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gail Wynand posted:

And here I was thinking that stalls were meant to give people privacy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Check out Extra History! they just completed a series about John Snow's efforts to curb the London cholera outbreak.

there is a good american history podcast thats funny as hell called the dollop. I learned alot from it and they have an amazing episode on the Iraq war and how hosed it was from the word go. http://thedollop.libsyn.com/ the once and while do stuff with other comedians like patton oswalt and some Australian dudes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah he does good work but then just repeats it ad nauseam.

He doesn't just do this in writing either. I've listened to podcasts where he's a guest and it's literally the exact same spiel over and over again, word for word.

Doing the broken record routine is part of modern politics - it is exhausting - I'm glad I don't do it for a living.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gail Wynand posted:

I guess pointing out that, for example, trans women are the same gender as other women, that's the entire loving point, is lost on them.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I guess pointing out that, for example, trans women are the same gender as other women, that's the entire loving point, is lost on them.

No poo poo. They don't accept the idea that gender is a social construct.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blue squares posted:

There's only two genders in the bible.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

On Terra Firma posted:

New Vegas is exactly what you're describing above though. It's probably longer than Fallout 3 is in terms of hours of content.

This is exactly my point. Fallout: New Vegas was released as a full price individual title. Back in the 90s gaming culture was different; If a studio released a game reusing so many assets as a full priced title it would have been an outrage. Expansions were priced at generally half of the original because you were essentially buying the same game again with a part 2 of the storyline. Now, reusing assets is much more acceptable so instead of making a part 2 of the story studios create new characters in the same game world for a new story and sell the game at full price for the same development cost that they would have put in on an expansion.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alzion posted:

This is exactly my point. Fallout: New Vegas was released as a full price individual title. Back in the 90s gaming culture was different; If a studio released a game reusing so many assets as a full priced title it would have been an outrage. Expansions were priced at generally half of the original because you were essentially buying the same game again with a part 2 of the storyline. Now, reusing assets is much more acceptable so instead of making a part 2 of the story studios create new characters in the same game world for a new story and sell the game at full price for the same development cost that they would have put in on an expansion.

Oh thats bullshit. How many games in the 90s reused assets?

off the top of my head:

Baldur's Gate 2

A whole loving lot of the Command & Conquer series

All of Microsoft's flight sims

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alzion posted:

Majora's Mask was sold at a higher price than Ocarina of Time.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
US Politics' hottest topic: 15 Gaming Debates ONLY 90s KIDS Will Get!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Majora's Mask was sold at a higher price than Ocarina of Time.

well it was the better game.

or so a bunch of nerds have said on the internet. I guess I was too young to appreciate its beauty. Instead the drat timer stressed me the gently caress out. I was having heartburn at 11.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
Nearly all studios reused assets (Origin was a notable exception). Its the ratio of reused assets and the expectations of improvements for a full new title that have changed. Now you have new release games selling for $60 that are little more than mods of the previous title released a year ago and that is considered the norm.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alzion posted:

Nearly all studios reused assets (Origin was a notable exception). Its the ratio of reused assets and the expectations of improvements for a full new title that have changed. Now you have new release games selling for $60 that are little more than mods of the previous title released a year ago and that is considered the norm.

When did the NFL2kwhatever or Madden series start?

Boy let me tell you about actual professional sports teams! My god, they just reuse last year's assets and expect fans to pay higher prices to attend games. Surely this business model will fail any day now

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

blue squares posted:

Not quite. There are three concepts at play here - physical sex, which is your genitalia and the hormones and chromosomes that cause them to develop the way they do, gender, which is your internal sense of things, aligning with physical sex in most but not all cases, and gender roles, which are social constructs. Gender expression is tied very closely to your culture's gender roles, so it can be hard to differentiate the two, but you need only look at the long list of cultural trappings which were masculine in one century and feminine in another to see how meaningless they are for defining gender. This is also why transvestites shouldn't be confused with transsexuals - playing with gender expression doesn't change your gender identity, because they're two different things.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Majoras Mask is best Zelda game and I wished Nintendo would make a sequel to it. Also a real Metroid game. And an F-Zero game.

Any way on the topic of transgender, Radio Lab had an interesting piece about a small town and its transgender mayor(woman) I guess it's a bit :unsmith: but it still doesn't change my opinion on small town America being poo poo.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PhazonLink posted:

Majoras Mask is best Zelda game and I wished Nintendo would make a sequel to it. Also a real Metroid game. And an F-Zero game.

Any way on the topic of transgender, Radio Lab had an interesting piece about a small town and its transgender mayor(woman) I guess it's a bit :unsmith: but it still doesn't change my opinion on small town America being poo poo.

Small towns are really interesting, because if they're small and isolated enough, they either miss what makes their local minority different from the rest of the town, or they shrug and take it in stride and categorize being gay or trans or nonwhite or nonchristian in with all the other local color - just another benign weirdo to chuckle at. I mean, it's not quite acceptance, but it beats getting dragged behind a truck.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alzion posted:

Did Sonic & Knuckles not cost just as much as Sonic 3?

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

Alzion posted:

Fallout: New Vegas was released as a full price individual title. Back in the 90s gaming culture was different; If a studio released a game reusing so many assets as a full priced title it would have been an outrage.

You mean like Fallout 2?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Reusing assets is good because it means you don't have to spend money literally reinventing the wheel in your video game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Japan, Super Mario Bros 2 was literally Super Mario Bros 1 with a few new sprites, a couple added or modified mechanics, and different levels using the same assets.The only reason it didn't get released in America was that it was too hard, instead they took an entirely unrelated game and put a Mario Bros skin over it and released it as Super Mario Bros 2

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
This has gone off topic enough so I won't go through 10 billion examples and exceptions to the rule.

Here is my point, The general trend is getting to more frequent releases of full title games with with larger percentages of reused assets and smaller incremental improvements in each release. This has come to be because games have become far more complex and expensive to build from the ground up, and because publishers have found that the consumer base is willing to engage in this monetization scheme.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Did Sonic & Knuckles not cost just as much as Sonic 3?

Hey now, because of lock-on shenanigans Sonic & Knuckles probably has more content than the rest of all Sega Genesis games combined!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Fallout 2 is litterally using the same sprites as Fallout 1. Still would have payed 50$ at launch for it.

• Locked thread