Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Can someone remind me how much Van Gaal has spent on transfers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

hadji murad posted:

Hernandez or United?

Scored not conceded

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Micah Richards is our best signing in years

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Brony Car posted:

They got CL football this season so... Yes?

Moyes wouldn't have been able to grind out the results that Van Gaal has so far and I suspect he would have screwed up the transfer spending.

Yeah, honestly, this week has been pretty poo poo for us and hasn't done wonders for Van Gaal's prospects, but before it started we were three points from the top of the table and level with City. There's been this huge narrative of "United in crisis" that isn't particularly reflected by the results or by the league standings, but where the actual problem is that United are boring. And I've felt more than a little sorry for Van Gaal, because he's taken far more stick from the press than Pellegrini, who's basically been left to his own devices on the same points total and with the same spending, and even more than Mourinho, who is literally getting Chelsea relegated in hilarious fashion.

I mean, that comes with the territory a bit, if you're managing United or Liverpool people are always going to write about you because that's where the readership base is, but it'd be real bloody nice if the BBC live text could be something other than a weekly collection of cretinous tweets and pundits from around the world moaning about United not scoring.

After this week, it's really just a case of "we'll see at the end of the season". There's the league and cup to play for, and we could still realistically win both (I don't think we will, but we've a credible chance). Calling for Van Gaal's head now would be a silly knee-jerk reaction. If I wanted to call for the manager to be sacked any time we weren't winning 4-0 and lazily daydream about the return of fascism to Europe, I'd go support Real Madrid, or England. In the end, I wouldn't give a toss if we won the league while performing as a George Graham tribute act, as long as we did. But if we end up falling away towards the end of the season and there are big-name managers available in the summer, I could see that being an end point for him.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pellegrini won a title in his first year with us. We also get better at the Champions League each year under him. LVB has done jack poo poo.

Don't compare your poo poo manager to Pellegrini.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Moyes at least got through the champions league group

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Yeah, honestly, this week has been pretty poo poo for us and hasn't done wonders for Van Gaal's prospects, but before it started we were three points from the top of the table and level with City. There's been this huge narrative of "United in crisis" that isn't particularly reflected by the results or by the league standings, but where the actual problem is that United are boring. And I've felt more than a little sorry for Van Gaal, because he's taken far more stick from the press than Pellegrini, who's basically been left to his own devices on the same points total and with the same spending, and even more than Mourinho, who is literally getting Chelsea relegated in hilarious fashion.

I mean, that comes with the territory a bit, if you're managing United or Liverpool people are always going to write about you because that's where the readership base is, but it'd be real bloody nice if the BBC live text could be something other than a weekly collection of cretinous tweets and pundits from around the world moaning about United not scoring.

After this week, it's really just a case of "we'll see at the end of the season". There's the league and cup to play for, and we could still realistically win both (I don't think we will, but we've a credible chance). Calling for Van Gaal's head now would be a silly knee-jerk reaction. If I wanted to call for the manager to be sacked any time we weren't winning 4-0 and lazily daydream about the return of fascism to Europe, I'd go support Real Madrid, or England. In the end, I wouldn't give a toss if we won the league while performing as a George Graham tribute act, as long as we did. But if we end up falling away towards the end of the season and there are big-name managers available in the summer, I could see that being an end point for him.

In their last three league games United have managed one shot on target in the second half.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Abu Dave posted:

Pellegrini won a title in his first year with us. We also get better at the Champions League each year under him. LVB has done jack poo poo.

Don't compare your poo poo manager to Pellegrini.

taking City from "complete poo poo" to "largely piss" in Europe is not particularly an achievement worthy of exempting criticism for failures elsewhere

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Everyone knows Pellegrini is getting the boot for Pep in the summer anyway so its not fun for the press to try and hound him out of a job he would have lost at most a few months later anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FullLeatherJacket posted:

taking City from "complete poo poo" to "largely piss" in Europe is not particularly an achievement worthy of exempting criticism for failures elsewhere

thursday nights, channel 5, thursday nights, channel 5

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Total Meatlove posted:

In their last three league games United have managed one shot on target in the second half.

And yet they're in touching distance of the top spot. I agree with FLJ - there's no reason to sack Van Gaal at this point. It's incredibly unlikely they're going to get anyone better at this stage in the season (hell, with Pep to City all but done I doubt they can get anyone better full stop) so they'd have to take a punt on Giggs or something. Come the end of the season if they haven't won anything again then yes maybe look elsewhere but the boring poo poo football is doing okay for them so far even if nobody is enjoying it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Bournemouth have just beaten Chelsea and Manchester United in consecutive league games. Regardless of context I feel like that should be focused on more.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EvilHawk posted:

And yet they're in touching distance of the top spot.

For now. United have won 3 of their last 12 games, 4 out of their last 14. That is not "keeping in touch with the top" form, so unless something changes and fast, United will start plummeting.

I wouldn't fire LVG right now, but I'd probably be looking elsewhere already. It's not like his team is exactly on an upward trajectory and he's said he'll gently caress off to Portugal in 2017 anyway, so he'll need to be replaced this summer or the next. If someone like Pep were available next summer, it'd be madness to let him go to City or something just so LVG can have one more year.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
That through ball from Walcott for Ramsey's goal

I can't believe he's learned to play football at age 26, top lad imo

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Broletariat posted:

the fact hes only 26 blows my mind, just been around forever

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Broletariat posted:

I can't believe he's learned to play football at age 26, top lad imo

was sure he was going to gently caress it up as well

hes not a player you want in possession of the ball unless hes in the box

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swansea are one goal above the relegation zone.

Hopefully Norwich keep being poo poo.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

sassassin posted:

Swansea are one goal above the relegation zone.

Hopefully Norwich keep being poo poo.

On current form we'll be above you by 1 point after 10 more games suck it

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
bahahahahahaaha

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
They look really happy just look at Moreno.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broletariat posted:

bahahahahahaaha

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Broletariat posted:

bahahahahahaaha

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I dont enjoy LVG's football but like everyone else I don't think there is any point in booting him. Also I don't understand people saying he should have kept Hernandez. To score a million goals you need to be getting scoring chances in the first place and United aren't even creating them in the first place

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Broletariat posted:

bahahahahahaaha

no way ahahaha

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
I think by normal he meant average

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
didn't klopp do that with dortmund's equivalent of the kop end every game too its a cute little tradition don't be mean

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

They were thanking the Kop for the roaring in injury time, not celebrating the result, I'm sorry all your boring managers just rush into the tunnel.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i'm the disembodied pair of legs running behind them.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They were thanking the Kop for the roaring in injury time, not celebrating the result, I'm sorry all your boring managers just rush into the tunnel.

Should be grateful to the fans I suppose for not leaving after 85 minutes while they were losing at home to a team managed by Tony Pulis

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

tetsuo posted:

didn't klopp do that with dortmund's equivalent of the kop end every game too its a cute little tradition don't be mean

yeah it's a cool thing and I hope he does it every home game tbh, the crowd actually made some noise today and if he can keep cajoling them into creating an atmosphere it'll help in the long run for sure

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

julian assflange posted:

Should be grateful to the fans I suppose for not leaving after 85 minutes while they were losing at home to a team managed by Tony Pulis

also this unironically, hardly anyone left today and I reckon it's in large part down to him having a go at the fans (then pretending he didn't mean it like that lol) for leaving before

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I don't care if it's embarrassing we haven't seen any passion at Anfield for ages so it was nice to see some sort of reaction

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Klopp is that tryhard new boss who tries to take the staff on team building exercises and put up motivational posters in the office

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Chelsea one point off the drop. Lmao. Go the Leicester Foxes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

Klopp is that tryhard new boss who tries to take the staff on team building exercises and put up motivational posters in the office

Motivational posters still beat motivational envelopes.

alternate joke:

I'm going to try posting more motivationally so he puts me up in the office :classiclol:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Monday Bandele posted:

Just a German Rodgers then?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

corpuscollossus posted:

Reminder that United fans still can't imagine a spot in their side for Chicarito Hat-trick Hernandez, because of the Van Gaal system

if you think Hernandez would improve the side then I dont think you really watch football.

HJB posted:

Bournemouth have just beaten Chelsea and Manchester United in consecutive league games. Regardless of context I feel like that should be focused on more.

Yeah and they'll gently caress it all up by losing against the likes of Villa and Norwich

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Total Meatlove posted:

This is just more of the press cherry picking stats though. At the end of the West Ham game every couple of minutes ended with a United player either narrowly missing the post with the keeper beaten, or shooting from 6 yards out and somehow still being blocked by Winston Reid. Obviously things could be better but if you go off the sports pages alone without actually watching you'd probably think we were somewhere around Chelsea's position. It would be insane to sack Van Gaal right now, the only thing that would justify it is if it's the only way to get Pep on board (assuming he's even interested in the first place).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Scikar posted:

This is just more of the press cherry picking stats though. At the end of the West Ham game every couple of minutes ended with a United player either narrowly missing the post with the keeper beaten, or shooting from 6 yards out and somehow still being blocked by Winston Reid. Obviously things could be better but if you go off the sports pages alone without actually watching you'd probably think we were somewhere around Chelsea's position. It would be insane to sack Van Gaal right now, the only thing that would justify it is if it's the only way to get Pep on board (assuming he's even interested in the first place).

I think when you're in the entertainment industry and mainly the business of selling poo poo merchandise to idiot fans then you should probably sack a manager uniformed hated by the entire fanbase

• Locked thread