Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Focus on the main quests and you'll be literally incapable of losing. There's plenty of time to do all the sidequests too, if you want.

You can also use Chronostasis if you need to do a bunch of stuff within a certain period (like 8-10 AM or something) but I wouldn't worry about trying to keep it going all the time, it's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I was worried about the time when I first played so I tried to keep chronostasis up whenever possible.

I think I ended up having to sleep for three days straight so I could finally finish the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns is a better fashion simulator than Style Savvy

e: I have no idea what I'm doing and the clock is ticking down so fast aaaaaa

as long as you complete the main quests (there's five of them) you'll get to fight the boss at the end. don't worry about it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Xenoblade X is really great. Wish these two story characters weren't so forced on me so often.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

In Grandia 2, I just got to Garlan Village. About how much of the game is left?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gilg posted:

In Grandia 2, I just got to Garlan Village. About how much of the game is left?

You're a little past the halfway point.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Xenoblade X is really great. Wish these two story characters weren't so forced on me so often.

They're probably the least interesting too, especially Elma

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Amppelix posted:

I welcome the change away from looping maps and adding some terrain, just to spice up the game a bit. But I don't know how to feel about changing the combat that much; I really liked the slow pace of the original.

I love how it's obvious that it's Muramasa the instant Gwen starts juggling people and dashing past them in the air.

Yeah I kind of agree, something a bit faster and smoother to control from the original would have been nice but this looks like it's straight carbon copied Muramasa's ultra loosey-goosey and dash-everywhere style combat. It's not that it can't work well and be fun, but it looks a lot less unique and definitely not like the original Odin Sphere.

But also that's just Gwendolyn and we don't really know how the other characters play (unless I've missed a video somwhere), so it may still work out well if everyone plays pretty uniquely from one another.

And like I was saying, I think the most important part is that the rest of the game is built around it. Odin Sphere's combat worked pretty well on Hard mode, much better than Muramasa's worked on any difficulty because it was so poorly thought out.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Anyone know if TWEWY works on ios9 yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This remake will be much better than the original if all the dungeons are about twice as short. Like, two rooms of normal enemies, one tough set of enemies, another normal set and then the boss would be perfect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

This remake will be much better than the original if all the dungeons are about twice as short. Like, two rooms of normal enemies, one tough set of enemies, another normal set and then the boss would be perfect.

Dragon's Crown style would be good. That was a traditional brawler but every room had something in it and levels were maybe 10 minutes. It was frustrating going through Muramasa's levels where half the rooms had no encounters.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

Most of the dungeons weren't very long in the original either, if you just beelined to the boss. They just had a bunch of alternate paths and stuff like that. But hopefully the unique layouts, new room types, and new enemies/bosses will help out a lot there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I couldn't get into Wasteland 2 because, if I remember correctly, the combat just wasn't very fun and I have never been a huge fan of turn-based, but I love the 3d Fallouts. Should I give it another shot with the Director's Cut?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If you didn't like the combat before, I doubt you're going to like it now. It's not really any different at all, aside from slightly more diverse random encounters.
I picked it back up about a month ago and almost got to the end but once Fallout 4 came out I lost all inclination to finish it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

blue squares posted:

I couldn't get into Wasteland 2 because, if I remember correctly, the combat just wasn't very fun and I have never been a huge fan of turn-based, but I love the 3d Fallouts. Should I give it another shot with the Director's Cut?

It's better balanced and has some extra features but the gameplay itself is the exact same as in the original WL2. If it wasn't your thing back then, I don't see how DC would've change that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're japanese, the last Remanent is available for IOS....somehow.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Anyone got an opinion on the 7th Dragon series? I loved 2020 1 for the psp and I'm wondering if I should go back and play the original on Ds since I heard it was completely different from the 2020 games or just move on to 2020 2. Sadly I don't have a Japanese 3ds anymore so I can't get the newest game which is supposed to be pretty awesome

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

blue squares posted:

Nope. The combat is largely the same and many of the main criticisms of the game went unresolved.

It was basically an excuse to get the game a very terrible console port.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Anyone know if TWEWY works on ios9 yet?

It does. Source: App Store

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Do PSone classics generally run pretty well on the Vita? I've got a hankering for some Final Fantasy IX (and Final Fantasy VIII, only because it's the one main series FF I've never really played) but I pretty much only play RPGs on mobile anymore, since I can usually do it during downtime at my job.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah they work fine

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the best/good RPGs/SRPGs are for the PSP in English? I've only ever had one in Japan and the selection there was much different from what it is here. Also how cheap do these games normally go for? Everything PSP was dirt, dirt cheap in Japan and I'm kind of hoping since it wasn't crazy popular in America it'll be cheap over here too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Getsuya posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what the best/good RPGs/SRPGs are for the PSP in English? I've only ever had one in Japan and the selection there was much different from what it is here. Also how cheap do these games normally go for? Everything PSP was dirt, dirt cheap in Japan and I'm kind of hoping since it wasn't crazy popular in America it'll be cheap over here too.

SRPGs:
FF Tactics
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Jeanne D'Arc
Wild Arms XF

RPGs:
Half Minute Hero
Breath of Fire 3
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman
Kingdom Hearts BBS - action rpg, but the gameplay is good. Don't even try to understand the story.
Legends of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - everyone loves this but not me
Tales of Eternia
Valkyrie Profile

Then the maybe pile:
Star Ocean 1 and 2
Lunar 1
Brave Story
FF4: TAY

Probably missed some. PSP has a lot of rpgs. Even more if you count PS1 titles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Normally I'd list SO2 as a "definitely," did they really screw up the PSP port that badly?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

The White Dragon posted:

Normally I'd list SO2 as a "definitely," did they really screw up the PSP port that badly?
It's, uh...it's Real Bad. And they shoehorned Welch into it. If you want to play SO2 on a PSP, get a PSX emulator running on it.

Seconding Trails in the Sky, by the way. It starts off slow, but that's just because the story arcs over two huuuuuge JRPGs. There is a lot of detail and love put into that series.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I actually already played the trilogy while I was over in Japan, and was about halfway through Trails in the Blue when I turned my PSP in :( Just far enough that it's hard for me to sit down and start it up again, even though I really want to play through both Blue and Zero.

I'm looking through Gamefly actually, since that's what I'll mainly be using rather than buying every game I want to try out. Some questions:
1. I'm interested in the 3 Legend of Heroes games that came before the Trails in the Sky series. I've heard both the translation and just the ports in general are crap. True? Are they enjoyable in any way shape or form on the PSP or should I just stick to enjoying the original PC versions?
2. Was Fate/Extra any good?
3. Is Ragnarok Tactics any good?
4. Holy poo poo we got a Growlanser game in English on PSP? Was that one any good? I only know the series in passing and have always wanted to try them
5. Is R-Type Command any good for SRPG fans?
6. I like card games as much as I like RPGs. Are there good card game games on PSP?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

1. Yes to both. since you can read japanese the recommendation is to go with the original PC versions.
2. if you're a Fate fan. i think it'd be decent but mediocre otherwise.
3. dunno.
4. Yeah it's pretty good
5. Dunno
6. Dunno

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
We got two Growlanser games in English on the PS2! :eng101: They were Working Designs, though, so it may or may not be your thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Getsuya posted:

I actually already played the trilogy while I was over in Japan, and was about halfway through Trails in the Blue when I turned my PSP in :( Just far enough that it's hard for me to sit down and start it up again, even though I really want to play through both Blue and Zero.

I'm looking through Gamefly actually, since that's what I'll mainly be using rather than buying every game I want to try out. Some questions:
1. I'm interested in the 3 Legend of Heroes games that came before the Trails in the Sky series. I've heard both the translation and just the ports in general are crap. True? Are they enjoyable in any way shape or form on the PSP or should I just stick to enjoying the original PC versions?
3. Is Ragnarok Tactics any good?
4. Holy poo poo we got a Growlanser game in English on PSP? Was that one any good? I only know the series in passing and have always wanted to try them
5. Is R-Type Command any good for SRPG fans?
6. I like card games as much as I like RPGs. Are there good card game games on PSP?

1. bad games. avoid. even on the PC.
2. no idea
3. its a functional srpg. nothing special but not horribly broken either. would not recommend unless you were super bored with nothing better to do.
4. Growlanser was a good game on psp. Forgot about this one.
5. functional srpg but it is SLOW. really slow. would not recommend.
6. no suggestions for this.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Getsuya posted:

I'm gonna second Cake Attack's comment that it depends on whether you're an F/SN fan. The combat is basically rock-paper-scissors with enough twists added to keep it interesting for the first few dungeons, but there's not a huge amount of variety in the enemies you fight or the options available to you so it's not really enough to carry the game on its own. Storywise a big part of the appeal is seeing Nasuverse characters and concepts in a weird alternate-universe situation, so if you're not already a fan that aspect is probably gonna fall flat for you too. It's not unplayably bad or anything, it just doesn't have a lot to make it stand out to people who aren't into the franchise it's part of.

Since you speak Japanese, there's also Fate/Extra CCC, which is a kind of weird cross between a sequel and an enhanced remake that picks up from near the end of the original game and goes off in an alternate direction.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Brandish is good. PLay that.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well I hate most of the Fate series except the cool fight scenes so if the gameplay can't carry it I'll forget about that one.

Are the Nippon Ichi ports good? Mainly I'm interested in Disgaea 2 and Phantom Brave. ZHP is one of my favorite PSP games of all time so I'm already planning on getting that again, but I'm curious if there's any reason to avoid their other PSP games.

Oh and what's the difference between the two Hakuouki games? Is one a sequel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw0iCYEavcU

tales of berseria PV, featuring ow the edge, a samurai, and also apparently lizardmen

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ow the Edge looks super cool

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Getsuya posted:

You can try Metal Gear Ac!d. I remember it being okay despite the intro tutorial really dragging on.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Getsuya posted:

Well I hate most of the Fate series except the cool fight scenes so if the gameplay can't carry it I'll forget about that one.

Are the Nippon Ichi ports good? Mainly I'm interested in Disgaea 2 and Phantom Brave. ZHP is one of my favorite PSP games of all time so I'm already planning on getting that again, but I'm curious if there's any reason to avoid their other PSP games.

Oh and what's the difference between the two Hakuouki games? Is one a sequel?

Disgaea is getting a PC port, although it's probably identical to the PSP version.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

SRPGs:
FF Tactics
Tactics Ogre: LUCT
Jeanne D'Arc
Wild Arms XF

and Yggdra Union!!

I picked up Jeanne D'Arc a while ago but I'm not really feeling it so far :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Looper posted:

and Yggdra Union!!

I picked up Jeanne D'Arc a while ago but I'm not really feeling it so far :(

I never cared for Jeanne darc. It's not terrible but it seemed very standard srpg without much to make it stand out.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Disgaea is getting a PC port, although it's probably identical to the PSP version.

I think content wise it's the PSP game but they've done a decent bit of graphical upgrading which they go into on the Steam page:

Again, we are excited to announce the release of Disgaea PC in February 2016 and I wanted to share some additional information regarding the Disgaea PC release.

Below includes some comparison screenshots of new UI/sprites and map graphics versus the old UI/sprites and old map graphics. Please note that you can change the new or old UI/sprites and map graphics in Disgaea PC to your preference:

**New UI & Map Graphics (Set A)

**Old UI & Old Map Graphics (Set A)

**New UI & Map Graphics (Set B)

**Old UI & Old Map Graphics (Set B)

You can also mix and match old & new UI/map graphics! So, you can have an older, original user interface & pixelated sprites, but have the updated map graphics that are optimized for your PC!

This is just the tip of the iceberg, as we will be posting more within this community and hopefully provide you with more updates as the release comes closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Golden Goat posted:

You can try Metal Gear Ac!d. I remember it being okay despite the intro tutorial really dragging on.
The second one is better because it makes movement smoother and you don't waste extra turns on pointless poo poo like ladder climbing.

However beating MGA1 lets you carry over one card into MGA2 no matter how broken.