Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's certainly an odd mutation of Purestrain Kirby and Leifeld . Enticing in its unconventional anatomy and expressiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

funtax posted:

There was a rumor for many years that he was doing it because Marvel insisted he ape Liefeld's style, but it turns out Trimpe just felt like doing it (and regarded it as his best work for some baffling reason):

I like how Things body is all craggy and rock like except his two perfectly round bubble butt cheeks

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Travis343 posted:

I like how Things body is all craggy and rock like except his two perfectly round bubble butt cheeks

I like how the thing doesn't look that much stronger than the rest.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The eyematch in the middle isn't terrible, I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

*steps back from his page, having laid the final stroke to Reed Richard's muscled pubic area*
There. My greatest work.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually respect Trimpe's attitude despite the less than stellar results. It's cool of him roll with the new rather than just poo poo on it because it's convenient.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is the Hulk blocking Thing's attack with an oversized foam hand?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Johnny is so jacked he can't even stand.

Edit: Hold the loving phone:

1. The first visual of Thing, he's wearing a helmet
2. A close-up of his eyes shows human eyes and human skin behind the helmet
3. The final panel, he has no helmet

What reality-shifting version of hell are they in

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Red posted:

Johnny is so jacked he can't even stand.

Edit: Hold the loving phone:

1. The first visual of Thing, he's wearing a helmet
2. A close-up of his eyes shows human eyes and human skin behind the helmet
3. The final panel, he has no helmet

What reality-shifting version of hell are they in

Choco1980 posted:

Funny that Thing in that last panel makes a comment about people not needing helmets, considering his has disappeared.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

funtax posted:

There was a rumor for many years that he was doing it because Marvel insisted he ape Liefeld's style, but it turns out Trimpe just felt like doing it (and regarded it as his best work for some baffling reason):

Making Johnny and Sue into a break dancing duo was an interesting step by Marvel.

I get Trimpe saying the new style let in for more expression and whatnot, and the panels definitely aren't static, but expressiveness shouldn't be put in place of coherence.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, I saw, but I hadn't noticed #2, which makes the disappearing helmet even more bizarre.

I'll post good art now, by Art Adams:

The detail, children, the detail!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Art Adams was the first favorite artist I ever had as a kid in the '80s, when I was first starting to recognize styles. Back then, I decided I didn't like Kirby's style from his pinups in Who's Who (I was a kid!), but I liked George Perez's work in Who's Who without having ever read New Teen Titans, and loved Art Adams based on that New Mutants Special and the X-Men Annual that followed, where they all went to Asgard.

When the second series of Marvel trading cards from Impel came out, I was overjoyed that so many of them featured Adams' art. Between that, Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, and the "New Fantastic Four" three-parter, the early '90s were a fun time to be an Adams fan. I even met him at a convention around that time.

But after all these years, even though I still love his art, rare as it is, I've never read Longshot. Is it any good, from a modern standard?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Art Adams was the first favorite artist I ever had as a kid in the '80s, when I was first starting to recognize styles. Back then, I decided I didn't like Kirby's style from his pinups in Who's Who (I was a kid!), but I liked George Perez's work in Who's Who without having ever read New Teen Titans, and loved Art Adams based on that New Mutants Special and the X-Men Annual that followed, where they all went to Asgard.

When the second series of Marvel trading cards from Impel came out, I was overjoyed that so many of them featured Adams' art. Between that, Excalibur: Mojo Mayhem, and the "New Fantastic Four" three-parter, the early '90s were a fun time to be an Adams fan. I even met him at a convention around that time.

But after all these years, even though I still love his art, rare as it is, I've never read Longshot. Is it any good, from a modern standard?

I read a safe selection of stuff as a kid: Firestorm, Captain Atom, Teen Titans, X-Factor/Men, Spider-Man, Superman, GI Joe, and Fantastic Four - and didn't happen upon Adams until his run with the "new" FF. His style was so different from everything else, I was an immediate fan.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Yeah, it's terrific.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody draws a monkey like Art Adams.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Mike Mignola

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Keep tryin boys

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Keep tryin boys

Where is his gun?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Where is his gun?

Without a jetpack and glasses, I didn't recognize it as an Adams.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

bobkatt013 posted:

Where is his gun?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frank Cho is the bad version of Art Adams

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Frank Cho is the bad version of Art Adams

:agreed:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frank Cho is a fantastically talented artist but just the biggest dickhead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Had he not turned to cheesecake he'd be a footnote in comic strip history.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

zoux posted:

I like Cho's art, but he only draws monkeys, dinosaurs, and jungle girls, and that's it.

His personal stuff is disappointing, but I feel like we shouldn't be surprised given his preferred subject matter, I guess.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He draws all of those things worse than Art Adams

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Had he not turned to cheesecake he'd be a footnote in comic strip history.

There are a lot of fantastically talented artists who'll end up being footnotes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

There are a lot of fantastically talented artists who'll end up being footnotes.

Did you ever read Liberty Meadows? Had he not ratcheted up the size of Brandy's boobs he wouldn't even be considered that talented. He only got his break into comics because of the cheesecake in the strip.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, just that if not for boobs he'd never have developed the skills he has now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Did you ever read Liberty Meadows? Had he not ratcheted up the size of Brandy's boobs he wouldn't even be considered that talented. He only got his break into comics because of the cheesecake in the strip.

I'm not saying he isn't talented, just that if not for boobs he'd never have developed the skills he has now.

I still have some of his University Squared books and stuff. "Baby, I get more rear end than a toilet!" was hilarious to college me.

Now, it's just a little annoying when 95% of what he does is the same stuff over and over. I get it, he likes boobgirls in leopard print riding a dinosaur fighting a giant ape. But I'm still confused about what his run on Savage Wolverine was supposed to be.

That said, he's good at drawing hulks and Ares and stuff blowing up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

He draws all of those things worse than Art Adams
You can't set the bar almost as high as it can go and proclaim any who can't hurdle it to be irrelevant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Red posted:

Yeah, I saw, but I hadn't noticed #2, which makes the disappearing helmet even more bizarre.

I'll post good art now, by Art Adams:

The detail, children, the detail!

This is really great stuff. Reminds me of Bernie Wrightson who I posted several pages back.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

You can't set the bar almost as high as it can go and proclaim any who can't hurdle it to be irrelevant.

Yeah your right, I'm sorry

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Red posted:

Now, it's just a little annoying when 95% of what he does is the same stuff over and over. I get it, he likes boobgirls in leopard print riding a dinosaur fighting a giant ape. But I'm still confused about what his run on Savage Wolverine was supposed to be.

:raise:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

I should still have a Liberty Meadows collection or two -- he's not bad at writing Looney Toons jokes, and he's good at doing that pulp-adventure type of art. I quite enjoyed them. Although when I've read comic books he's drawn, the action seems a little inactive somehow. It's not as bad, but it reminds me of the guy who did all the art for the Marvel Super Heroes role-playing game -- every character he drew looked like they had been posed in perfect stillness.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 15, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

prefect posted:

I should still have a Liberty Meadows collection or two -- he's not bad at writing Looney Toons jokes, and he's good at doing that pulp-adventure type of art. I quite enjoyed them. Although when I've read comic books he's drawn, the action seems a little inactive somehow. It's not as bad, but it reminds me of the guy who did all the art for the Marvel Super Heroes role-playing game -- every character he drew looked like they had been posed in perfect stillness.

He can do great stuff, he's just narrowly-focused. And he hates Superman for some reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Red posted:

And he hates Superman for some reason.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because he thinks Supes is a gaint pussy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because he thinks Supes is a gaint pussy.

http://apesandbabes.com/the-dark-knight-returns/

quote:

I rarely do art commissions. For the simple reason that I have too many projects to do and don’t have free time to devote to commissions. However, I do take a commission or two, usually for a friend or art collectors that I know and trust – In this case, Hawaiian Dave.

Now Hawaiian Dave is a huge Batman-Superman fan, and to my knowledge, has one of the largest collection of Batman-Superman art.
Over the years, I got to know Hawaiian Dave fairly well and his art collection. And over the years, he tried to commission me to do a nice Batman-Superman piece to add to his collection. However, over the years, I resisted his offer – for the plain reason of I hate Superman. I think Superman is a boring and moronically simple character. From his Kryptonite weakness to his silly disguise with the eyeglasses, Superman is an ill-conceived character. Just because he’s the first superhero doesn’t mean he’s a good character. And don’t get me started on him crying on every other comic book cover.

One day the impossible happened, I was bored and I had some free time and Hawaiian Dave gave me a big wad of cash. On top of that, he told me that I can draw whatever I desire as long as Batman and Superman is in it… Since I hated Superman so much, the only logical conclusion was to do the scene in the Frank Miller’s masterpiece “The Dark Knight Returns” where the old Batman comes out of retirement and beat the poo poo out of Superman. And off I went.

This simple pin-up morphed into an elaborate pin-up which then turned into a 2 page sequential action scene complete with dialogues. To tell you the truth, I had a great time drawing this. But I can honestly say that this will probably will be the last Superman art I draw.

I really hate Superman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"You don't murder me! You giant pussy!" done unironically is really something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really do respect his level of drawing talent, cheesecake or no, but christ that is some 6th grader critical thinking.... which given that he dedicated years of his life to rendering giant tits explains a lot actually.