Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

On Terra Firma posted:

A small town in North Carolina rejected solar power for a totally rational reason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-a6771526.html

Retired science teacher. My loving god. :suicide:

The Independent chose to clip off part of the original:

quote:

Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people.

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities.

She added that the only people profiting are the landowners who sell their land, the solar companies, and the electrical companies.
The town would not benefit from the solar farms because they are not located within the town limits, but only in the extraterritorial sections.
The power generated would go directly into the electrical grid and would not reduce Woodland’s power bills.

Sounds like typical "we don't get any benefit so not in my backyard" was the real reason, with some idiots for window dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Independent chose to clip off part of the original:

Sounds like typical "we don't get any benefit so not in my backyard" was the real reason, with some idiots for window dressing.

Solution: The township should annex surrounding land and incorporate it into the city, while redeveloping around a walk-friendly design.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Carrasco posted:

I guess you can't accept solar power if you don't accept the sun.

Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Logikv9 posted:

Gravity: Doesn't exist. If items of mass had any impact of others, then mountains should have people orbiting them. Or the space shuttle in space should have the astronauts orbiting it. Of course, that's just the tip of the gravity myth. Think about it. Scientists want us to believe that the sun has a gravitation pull strong enough to keep a planet like neptune or pluto in orbit, but then it's not strong enough to keep the moon in orbit? Why is that? What I believe is going on here is this: These objects in space have yet to receive mans touch, and thus have no sin to weigh them down. This isn't the case for earth, where we see the impact of transfered sin to material objects. The more sin, the heavier something is.

So does this mean that the moon landings didn't happen or that we only sent saints up?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

RuanGacho posted:

That article comments posted posted:

It's called the "shadow effect".

Solar systems generate energy and create shade. Solar Aspect helps make a site economic.

The reporter seems to be "itching to be smarter than you" by making the retired science teacher look stupid.
Ever heard of a thing called SHADE?

Logikv9 posted:

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.
This is a classic and I love it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Logikv9 posted:

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.

Earth radiates heat and evolution is thermodynamically possible without the sun so long as entropy gain via ordering is less than entropy loss via radiated heat

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Carrasco posted:

I guess you can't accept solar power if you don't accept the sun.

The sun is impossible.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Alzion posted:

Since I *swallows back vomit* actually agree with MIFG's over elaberate callout of this derail.

Trump 5 points ahead of Cruz nationally

We may have an actual non-joke primary contender gaining ground. Over/under on a January/February Trump 3rd party run?

Don't know why everyone keeps citing this +5 Trump poll as reason for Trump's decline. This is actually Trump's strongest showing in the NBC/WSJ poll this entire election so far.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mitt Romney posted:

Don't know why everyone keeps citing this +5 Trump poll as reason for Trump's decline. This is actually Trump's strongest showing in the NBC/WSJ poll this entire election so far.

Because he's only +5 ahead of Cruz, whereas in earlier polls he was far out ahead of everybody else, even if his absolute numbers were smaller.

I'm curious to see if Cruz can keep it going, or if he's just having a 15 minute bounce like Carson/Fiorina got.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Somehow I don't think the plan of "being an unbelievable rear end in a top hat who has burned bridges with absolutely everyone" is going to work out for these top GOP primary contenders in the long run.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Sydin posted:

Because he's only +5 ahead of Cruz, whereas in earlier polls he was far out ahead of everybody else, even if his absolute numbers were smaller.

I'm curious to see if Cruz can keep it going, or if he's just having a 15 minute bounce like Carson/Fiorina got.

That's entirely not true. The previous NBC/WSJ polls:

NBC/WSJ 12/6 - 12/9 Trump +5
NBC/WSJ 10/25 - 10/29 Carson +6
NBC/WSJ 10/15 - 10/18 Trump +3
NBC/WSJ 9/20 - 9/24 Trump +1
NBC/WSJ 7/26 - 7/30 Trump +4
NBC/WSJ 6/14 - 6/18 Bush +5

Additionally, the most recent NBC/WSJ poll has Trump at 27 which is his highest ever in a NBC/WSJ poll.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Paul Ryan should shave his beard. He looked like a sad muppet without it and I couldn't look at a picture of him without laughing.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

Trump has a floor of 20-25% in every election until he drops out. One school of thought the correct one says that's also close to his ceiling and when enough also rans drop out he'll promptly lose every other state 70-30. The other says he is too strong for that and this is an iconic election where the populist could win against a fragmented plurality. This poll is good news for the first group as Carson's vote should theoretically have gone to Trump but didn't; every other candidate's voters are already not going to Trump as a second choice (except for Cruz's, but when and if he stops being the flavor of the month they'll conveniently find the next Great White Hope around the corner.)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Somehow I don't think the plan of "being an unbelievable rear end in a top hat who has burned bridges with absolutely everyone" is going to work out for these top GOP primary contenders in the long run.
It's been the Cruz plan for years now

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Adar posted:

Trump has a floor of 20-25% in every election until he drops out. One school of thought the correct one says that's also close to his ceiling and when enough also rans drop out he'll promptly lose every other state 70-30. The other says he is too strong for that and this is an iconic election where the populist could win against a fragmented plurality. This poll is good news for the first group as Carson's vote should theoretically have gone to Trump but didn't; every other candidate's voters are already not going to Trump as a second choice (except for Cruz's, but when and if he stops being the flavor of the month they'll conveniently find the next Great White Hope around the corner.)

I completely agree that Trump is going to lose the nomination (I think he'll flame out before Iowa) but citing the NBC/WSJ poll as evidence for his decline isn't correct.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Paul Ryan should shave his beard. He looked like a sad muppet without it and I couldn't look at a picture of him without laughing.

He looks a lot better with it. Clean shaven he always looked like the wimpy guy from The Office/Silicon Valley to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Surely this is the end for Mr. Trump. The Republican party is keeping the 10 people in the debate because they know if they don't you'll watch Jeb and others skyrocket to the bottom afterwards.

The only thing that is keeping Jeb and others in the race is that all together they can hold off Trump. Once Rand drops out you'll see his numbers probably go to Trump as with all the others.

Basically it's all just flakk to stop a situation where you got Cruz Trump and maybe Rubio in the race.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 14, 2015

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kro-Bar posted:

Who loving cares why are you guys talking about this please stop.

I'm not gonna take part in it, but an aging person saying "back in my day you didn't see *thing that happened all the time back in his day*" is always relevant in political discussion.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

I completely agree that Trump is going to lose the nomination (I think he'll flame out before Iowa) but citing the NBC/WSJ poll as evidence for his decline isn't correct.

I'll more or less agree with this in the sense that national polls are worthless so "evidence" is a high bar. The one big takeaway from this poll, though, is that compared to their previous one it's got Carson -18 Trump +4 Cruz +12 with no other movement. Carson voters should never logically be going to Cruz instead of Trump if they were engaged enough to know anything about politics beyond "that guy sounds polite, let's go with door #1"; they are logically coming from the same place as Trump voters. That they went to Cruz shows Trump is a big turnoff for them. I didn't look at the crosstabs but I'm guessing there are proportionally a lot more women and minorities than white men in the Carson->Cruz migration which further points to Trump having no shot with this group in the future, either. You can throw out the toplines and everything else about this poll and still think that is a really big sign.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Trump and Cruz lead at the end of January the bitch fest is goin to be GLORIOUS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Internet Kraken posted:

Agreed, also, he looks pretty good with it.

Adar posted:

I'll more or less agree with this in the sense that national polls are worthless so "evidence" is a high bar. The one big takeaway from this poll, though, is that compared to their previous one it's got Carson -18 Trump +4 Cruz +12 with no other movement. Carson voters should never logically be going to Cruz instead of Trump if they were engaged enough to know anything about politics beyond "that guy sounds polite, let's go with door #1"; they are logically coming from the same place as Trump voters. That they went to Cruz shows Trump is a big turnoff for them. I didn't look at the crosstabs but I'm guessing there are proportionally a lot more women and minorities than white men in the Carson->Cruz migration which further points to Trump having no shot with this group in the future, either. You can throw out the toplines and everything else about this poll and still think that is a really big sign.

Carson voters are evangelical that dislike Trump's bombastic nature and general crudeness so it makes sense that they'd go with Cruz.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Trump can beat Cruz all he has to do is sue to block ballot access for not being a natural born citizen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Larch posted:

So does this mean that the moon landings didn't happen or that we only sent saints up?

The truth is much worse than that: sending astronauts to the moon tainted it with their sin and caused it to weigh more (and half of it to turn black?), so now it is eventually going to fall into the Earth and kill everyone.

The Bible tried to warn us about it allegorically with the whole Tower of Babel thing, but we just wouldn't listen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

CalmDownMate posted:

Trump can beat Cruz all he has to do is sue to block ballot access for not being a natural born citizen.

Cruz sucks but he's a citizen, that's such a dumb argument.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's a better case for Cruz not being a natural born citizen than there ever was for Obama. Of course it's still a dumb argument but here we are with eight years of the birther movement going strong.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

that's such a dumb argument.

NEWSFLASH: SO IS EVERY loving THING TRUMP AND CRUZ AND EVERY OTHER loving RETARDED RECUCKLICAN HAS EVER loving SAID GOD DAMNIT

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CalmDownMate posted:

NEWSFLASH: SO IS EVERY loving THING TRUMP AND CRUZ AND EVERY OTHER loving RETARDED RECUCKLICAN HAS EVER loving SAID GOD DAMNIT

CalmDownMate

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

smg77 posted:

There's a better case for Cruz not being a natural born citizen than there ever was for Obama. Of course it's still a dumb argument but here we are with eight years of the birther movement going strong.

I don't *think* anybody expects it to seriously knock Punchabilis Facus Maximus out of the race. Pretty sure everyone proposing it just wants to see birther gently caress knuckles hoisted by their own retarded petards.

Pretty sure. Can't say I'm absolutely certain about Mr. Caps Lock upthread though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

CalmDownMate posted:

Yeah that's why we don't need to resort to that kind of crap. It's easy enough.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Internet Kraken posted:

I still can't get over the comments comparing him to Ahmedinejad and being a secret Muslim plant. :roflolmao:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The problem Trump is going to have is that he blew his load early by calling for banning Muslims and shutting down the internet. Where the hell is he gonna go from here now? I don't think he could do anything more to get crazy people to vote for him, and now it's all downhill from here. I mean, he could just out and say "I love Hitler" but then he'll lose voters because people don't want to be associated with Hitler's name, just his ideas.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

The problem Trump is going to have is that he blew his load early by calling for banning Muslims and shutting down the internet. Where the hell is he gonna go from here now? I don't think he could do anything more to get crazy people to vote for him, and now it's all downhill from here. I mean, he could just out and say "I love Hitler" but then he'll lose voters because people don't want to be associated with Hitler's name, just his ideas.
"We need to start thinking about internment camps!"
"Why are you allowed to vote if you don't pay taxes?"
"Hillary Clinton couldn't satisfy her husband, how could she satisfy America?!"
"I have a lot of Jewish friends in the media, and I also have a lot of Jewish enemies in the media. They're a good people, but there's a lot of them in the media, and they don't treat me fairly."

We're barely below sea level on this glacier.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Augus posted:

Oh, there's still so much further he can go. He has yet to call for the voluntary self-deportation of all current resident alien Muslims in the US, and then later calling for the same of Muslim citizens with the additional call for them to renounce their citizenship, and then of course when all that fails to adequately address the Muslim question in his mind, some sort proposal for an ultimate answer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Man, the next year is going to be annoying with all of this Chicken Little-ing.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

We're barely below sea level on this glacier.

Peak derp is a myth.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ReidRansom posted:

Oh, there's still so much further he can go. He has yet to call for the voluntary self-deportation of all current resident alien Muslims in the US, and then later calling for the same of Muslim citizens with the additional call for them to renounce their citizenship, and then of course when all that fails to adequately address the Muslim question in his mind, some sort proposal for an ultimate answer.

He has yet to go full reconquista and call for the conversion of all Muslims to Christianity to prove their allegiance to the US.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Nothing is a dumb argument when climbing the greasy pole.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
At midnight tonight, Terry Branstad becomes the longest serving Governor in American history.

He's moving past George Clinton, who only holds the record if you include the time he was Governor of New York under the Articles of Confederation.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 14, 2015

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

The Larch posted:

No, that happened, but there is no gravity on the moon so they had to use Heavy Boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

I grew up in NC, and my 9th grade biology teacher prefaced our unit on evolution with "This ain't the way the good Lord done it, but the state says I have to teach y'all this."
North Carolina could use 10 years of martial law and a federalization of it's local schools program. Just a fun thought.

• Locked thread