Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Budgie posted:

but... they got nerfed... why are they MORE expensive?

Possibly because Blood Rage (the gem) got nerfed too :shrug:

Also it's very early in the league and they're a nifty item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

someone was asking about ED/Cont, so here's my current planned tree: http://poeurl.com/t9l

links in no particular order are:
cont - iaoe - inc dur - fast cast
ed - rapid decay - void manip - controlled destr - some choice of fast proj, slow proj, empower (currently IIR)
wither - spell totem - iaoe - optional inc. dur
blasphemy - vuln - temp chains - AA/clarity if needed

Your choice of golem, CWDT link and movement skill. I've been swapping between flame dash and light warp, currently running chaos golem over fire.
I've got enough mana regen from gear & tree now that clarity isn't really needed, so I dropped that and took the aura cluster to fit AA. Currently I get enough life regen from ED that with judicious pot use I'm fine sustaining.
Only unique is winds of change.

edit: also sniper and potency of will are considerations for QoL. More jewel slots could be good if you have good rare jewels (I have zero).

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2015

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blade Vortex is loving powerful as hell holy poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
As requested, here's my build after I abandoned ED/contagion:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...Fro1utj6-7w1fVv

I am using Bladefall - Faster Casting - Controlled Destruction - Poison. It is amazing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hauki posted:

someone was asking about ED/Cont, so here's my current planned tree: http://poeurl.com/t9l

ed - rapid decay - void manip - controlled destr - some choice of fast proj, slow proj, empower (currently IIR)

Your choice of golem, CWDT link and movement skill. I've been swapping between flame dash and light warp, currently running chaos golem over fire.
I've got enough mana regen from gear & tree now that clarity isn't really needed, so I dropped that and took the aura cluster to fit AA. Currently I get enough life regen from ED that with judicious pot use I'm fine sustaining.

edit: also sniper and potency of will are considerations for QoL. More jewel slots could be good if you have good rare jewels (I have zero).

How are you finding contagion spreading with no AoE nodes? I took them, and I'm wondering if I should respec out of them for more spell/chaos/projectile damage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vasudus posted:

I am using Bladefall - Faster Casting - Controlled Destruction - Poison. It is amazing.

Can I ask why you abandoned the chaos build? Bladefall looks fun too so I'm kinda trying to decide between the two builds. I haven't actually had time to play yet so I'm trying to get a feel for them vicariously

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

How are you finding contagion spreading with no AoE nodes? I took them, and I'm wondering if I should respec out of them for more spell/chaos/projectile damage.
It seems to spread fine still. I took both the witch and templar clusters initially and respecced out once I had leveled my IAoE gem, and while it's a bit smaller, it still cascades pretty quickly. I think it's mostly a quality of life thing again. I find that by pumping dmg as much as I can on ED, it makes single target way better and still demolishes packs solo. Really the aoe is only for spreading contagion, and I'd rather just cast it a second time than waste skill points. FWIW I've got a net of 35% faster cast on my 2 wands plus the fast cast gem link on contagion currently.

All in all I'm much happier with it today than I was last night. Projectile speed from winds of change helps a lot, and I'm debating picking up Sniper as well.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the Poison support gem is loving insane with anything that it can actually support.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

Can I ask why you abandoned the chaos build? Bladefall looks fun too so I'm kinda trying to decide between the two builds. I haven't actually had time to play yet so I'm trying to get a feel for them vicariously

I really don't like janitoring Essence Drain. Yes, it's very strong. Yes, it's better with lots of AOE, which I had (witch nodes, +inc AOE on contagion) and I even ran with 40% pierce via nodes. It's annoying to spread to packs of things despite all of this. Other people really dig it, it's just not my thing.

NecroMonster posted:

the Poison support gem is loving insane with anything that it can actually support.

I'm not 100% sold on it, now that I've had a bit to play with it. Sure, it does like 30% of a mob's health over 2s, but unless that poison kills it you still have to cast it again. I think it's better overall to just kill it the first time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

That's possible, but mathematically the dps gain the support should be worth can scale to huge amounts. 10% of physical+chaos dps multiplied by increases to chaos damage, poison damage, and damage over time should quickly push the added dps to crazy amounts. But again, this gain is only worth anything if the enemy is living through the initial damage.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's effectively another more multiplier to your damage, except it keeps scaling as you scale your primary damage while also getting free 120% bonus to its poison damage just from leveling the gem itself.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Bladefall is loving awesome. 1600 dps at level 39 with bladefall added fire and fast cast and poo poo for wands.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i'm getting 1250dps with full stack blade vortex at level 30. All i've got is hatred and faster casting and added fire damage in the blade vortex. no increased duration of any kind yet either.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NecroMonster posted:

i'm getting 1250dps with full stack blade vortex at level 30. All i've got is hatred and faster casting and added fire damage in the blade vortex. no increased duration of any kind yet either.
What's your build for this? I'm very interested in running a blade vortex character for no good reason.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bad. it's a bad build. i'm not gunna share this mess. too little life ,not enough mana regen(early on) and a bunch of annoying rear end stat problems.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

theshim posted:

What's your build for this? I'm very interested in running a blade vortex character for no good reason.
Here's one I just made up, but I think it's a start, since I've been thinking about Blade Vortex, poison, etc for several days now:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...-Ii4qQ5o-9Ugg==

This is for self-cast BV. 174% life, 90% duration, 32% cast speed, 222% increased damage, 25% increased radius. Not great mitigation. Evasion's your best defense and it's only 175%. It's pretty easy to drop life and increase physical for even more glass cannon. Not super easy to do the reverse. Haven't done the math but pretty sure you'll be able to maintain 50 stacks with a single gem devoted to Faster Casting or Increased Duration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I hate myself, so where is the racing league already? :sigh:

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Hauki posted:

Right after that area was added, Nugi made a habit of trolling people he was playing with, telling them it was like dominus's rain and you had to stand in the glowing circle to avoid it. At least several people fell for it.

This is glorious.

Also I wish I had the time to spend on HC but I just can't manage to stay alive once I get into the high 70's and the heartbreak became too overwhelming. :negative:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I never took advantage of the post-2.0 eldritch battery/mind over matter/zealot's oath mechanics, but how do you build around it these days?

Do you effectively use it to reserve ~100% of your mana these days, and use a combination of ES gear, eldritch battery, and zealot's oath to sustain your energy shield (which acts as both your mana source and extended health). In that case, what do you typically use to sustain your life? Potions or life gained on hit?

EB/MoM/ZO might be really strong with essence drain, because it lets you split your sustain. Your essence drain goes into your life, and your life regen goes into your energy shield, which lets you sustain both pools at once.

I'm thinking to reserve my mana with blasphemy-vulnerability, temporal chains, and arctic armour.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...gcelS7w1UlRpDk=

here is what mine would look like if I ever bothered to actually level that far.

Blade Vortex - spell echo - poison - life leech. Faster casting instead of spell echo if you prefer to spend very very slightly smaller amount of time standing still.
I'm running Vulnerability - Blesphemy and clarity for curses now, was running hatred, and hatred is probably better, but whatever.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Vasudus posted:

Thanks for sharing! I'm currently playing a Contagion char with basically your build (lvl 41 though). Means I can transition without respeccing at all and Bladefall seems so drat fun. (update: I do actually have to spec out of chaos damage, oops)
Giving it a try (and hopefully not rip).

Acht fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I need to apologize to Stonelike. He was right about taking Practical Application and and Dominion for ED. I've specced out of Piercing Shots, it's just not worth the six passives I had invested to get to it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

I never took advantage of the post-2.0 eldritch battery/mind over matter/zealot's oath mechanics, but how do you build around it these days?

Do you effectively use it to reserve ~100% of your mana these days, and use a combination of ES gear, eldritch battery, and zealot's oath to sustain your energy shield (which acts as both your mana source and extended health). In that case, what do you typically use to sustain your life? Potions or life gained on hit?

EB/MoM/ZO might be really strong with essence drain, because it lets you split your sustain. Your essence drain goes into your life, and your life regen goes into your energy shield, which lets you sustain both pools at once.

I'm thinking to reserve my mana with blasphemy-vulnerability, temporal chains, and arctic armour.

Real quick, ED doesn't sustain life with ZO specced. They changed it to regen prelaunch instead of whatever it was termed previously. That's part of the reason I specced back out of it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Hauki posted:

Real quick, ED doesn't sustain life with ZO specced. They changed it to regen prelaunch instead of whatever it was termed previously. That's part of the reason I specced back out of it.

This sucks :( Time to spec out of ZO...

Lektor
May 1, 2013
For the bladefall discussion im pdoing something different trying to scale it with RF

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...fZI-ej60v4K_lQ=

The trip out to harrier probably isnt efficient, but is nice for leveling. Still only lvl 35 so havent actually made the RF transition. Mana might be an issue, but plannin on taking righteous decree and maybe also dynamo if necessary. There is still lots and lots of available life to get which will probably be main focus at higher levels.

currently running HoI and HoA, with BF in a 4 link conc effect, controlled destruction and added fire and its working very well. If i can get a good version of the new talisman that gives life regen I can drop some of the regen nodes, probably the templar ones

Lektor fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 14, 2015

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I want to do an SRS build, but I've never done one before, and I am having trouble figuring out which ones on the official forums are good. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Jester Mcgee posted:

I want to do an SRS build, but I've never done one before, and I am having trouble figuring out which ones on the official forums are good. Can someone point me in the right direction?

SRS got changed a lot but the same principles still apply AFAIK. Streamer RaizQT is playing a SRS build and from what little I've seen it's a lot cheaper and easier to be effective than it was before, but I don't know about how it compares to the old SRS at the end game. Most important elements of any SRS build are getting the skill duration nodes, cast nodes and minion nodes. Getting quality on the SRS gem is important (= extra movement speed, helps a lot with clear speed) and so are gem levels. People generally get a white 5L staff (should only be a couple of chaos) and then alt spam it until it has +2 to fire gems, which is generally not that hard to get. SRS used to be really underwhelming if you didn't do all those things first but again, from what I've seen, that no longer seems to be the case.

I've been trying out a Contagion + Essence Drain build (very similar to Hauki's) and it has to be one of the smoothest leveling experiences I've ever had. Contagion is like pre-nerf ele prolif, perhaps even better and ED does a lot of single target damage as well. The only downside is that ED's projectile speed is a bit slow but everything else more than makes up for it.

From what I've heard and seen every single new skill gem is actually good. GGG usually releases new skill gems in some lackluster nerfed version because they are afraid it's going to break the game but I'm glad they didn't do that apparently this time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hauki posted:

Ugh, the wording is "Regenerate 0.50% of Debuff Damage as Life", which goes into the same recovery pool as if you have or don't have Zealot's Oath. I see now. No split pool sustaining here.

Now I'm considering reserving with Temp Chains, Arctic Armour and Clarity, and manual-casting Vulnerability

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ekster posted:

From what I've heard and seen every single new skill gem is actually good. GGG usually releases new skill gems in some lackluster nerfed version because they are afraid it's going to break the game but I'm glad they didn't do that apparently this time.

Yeah Bladefall for example is pretty hefty with crit. Easy to kill yourself now on reflect mobs.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the XYZ currency trade seems to be now populated.

it's interesting to see just how wide currency spreads are, all in one place - it's easily as much as 20% of the offer. The market is really illiquid.

also, Voll's Devotion is continuing to increase in price. Meh.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 14, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Ugh, the wording is "Regenerate 0.50% of Debuff Damage as Life", which goes into the same recovery pool as if you have or don't have Zealot's Oath. I see now. No split pool sustaining here.

Now I'm considering reserving with Temp Chains, Arctic Armour and Clarity, and manual-casting Vulnerability

I was 100% serious earlier when I said I'm sustaining mana without clarity. I ran it up until 66-68 and then swapped to AA. My mana regen is about 80/s without clarity and with as little as you have to actually cast with this build, that's plenty. I was keeping a hybrid pot on for a while just in case, but I virtually never use it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
when I said blasphemy would change the meta I wasn't thinking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8OrZuyktUY

(I guess the Animated Guardian with the Dying Breath is the bottleneck here)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I'm not 100% sold on it, now that I've had a bit to play with it. Sure, it does like 30% of a mob's health over 2s, but unless that poison kills it you still have to cast it again. I think it's better overall to just kill it the first time.

No one seems to have brought it up yet so just let me stress this for anyone thinking about poison:
POISON STACKS INFINITELY HOLY poo poo.

Just load up on attack/cast speed and go to town on a boss. I've been using EK+echo and it was just fine against regular packs, but kinda suffered against bosses. Since adding poison to the mix gave me a huge increase in kill speed for the high HP targets (I'm still looking for an added chaos support). To be fair, though, you kinda have to build around it. By that I mean just ignore ele damage passives/auras in favor of more cast speed, phys/chaos damage, and crit. I don't think it's worth it for my character to take the DOT passives, but I could see it for other skills.

Here's my tree so far in case anyone is interested or willing to critique:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...ame=Lorocyproca

Bladefall also seems super strong but I didn't realize that until I had already started taking projectile passives, so I dropped it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

when I said blasphemy would change the meta I wasn't thinking about stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8OrZuyktUY

(I guess the Animated Guardian with the Dying Breath is the bottleneck here)

haha holy poo poo this is amazing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Phobophilia posted:

This is what I do except I don't bother with Vuln - even vs act bosses it's just not that important except maybe in a full team. Spell totem/wither/spell echo/faster casting works for me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
FWP: I can't keep up with my rare items in ID scrolls. What's the best way to get more?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

How effective is the Poison support if I only run phys damage nodes? I'm currently running phys dagger ST and my 4L is ST - LMP - PPAD - FA. I don't particularly like Added Fire, don't think I need Phys to Lightning as anything more than a swap, so my main considerations for the 5th link are Poison and Crit Multi. If poison is effective enough, I can just stop using Hatred/Herald of Ash and just use defensive auras, which would probably be way more useful in the long run.

Also my damage feels pretty anemic right now with a like 170 dps dagger with only a crit multi roll at the end of merciless. I'm trying to work towards a Bino's since I found an exalt but they're selling for 2 ex minimum and I don't really have any currency right now besides the exalt.

Jaknuts
Dec 18, 2004
what's in your sac

Hauki posted:

Regarding your IIR in ED. How can you be sure that the tick that kills the mob is essence drain and not contagion?

Obviously ED does significantly more damage, but is it fair to say contagion may be killing off a number of mobs as well? Have you noticed a benefit from the IIR? I realize you'll probably switch it out for an empower eventually, just curious.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A level 1 poison gem comes out to a 12.5% more multiplier to physical+chaos dps without any other chaos damage%, damage over time%, or poison damage% modifiers. This increases by .5% per level of the poison gem.

So the answer is that, without some proper stuff to scale it's damage, it's worse than most other gem options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pharnakes posted:

FWP: I can't keep up with my rare items in ID scrolls. What's the best way to get more?
Selling most of the other slightly higher currencies you get will fetch 4 ID scrolls a pop, so if you find yourself swimming in orbs of transmutation or suchlike you can drop a couple of those.

• Locked thread