Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
In my wildest dreams the latest Justice League film involves an alternate universe Wally West played by Jeff Goldblum. Him explaining speed force like chaos theory in JP to not Jesus Superman or brooding batfleck, would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kneecaps posted:

Don't worry, there will be a trailer a month before release that spoils the whole plot and all the cool scenes.

That was the trailer that spoiled the plot. Americans save the world again while some prick proclaims that we should all be celebrating the 4th of July.

I have some bad news for you, folks: 20 years of nostalgia are only serving to hide that the first movie was poo poo. The sequel isn't going to be better.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jedit posted:

That was the trailer that spoiled the plot. Americans save the world again while some prick proclaims that we should all be celebrating the 4th of July.

I have some bad news for you, folks: 20 years of nostalgia are only serving to hide that the first movie was poo poo. The sequel isn't going to be better.

Please don't be racist against Americans.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The giant black dude in the red beret with the two giant machetes strapped to his back is already my favourite character of the entire film:

Gonna gently caress up some aliens REAL GOOD with them machetes!

teagone posted:

Yeah, this is going to awesome because of

SHIP BIGGER :shittydog:

Vagabundo posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road :v:

Easy Rider 2 has that beat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider:_The_Ride_Back
Edit: Bambi 2 has them all beat!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_II

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 14, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FFVII remastered is looking good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It would be cooler if they ditched the straight to DVD-esque movie title and called it Memorial Day and then released it on Memorial Day.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh yeah here's what happened to Will Smith's character

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Independence Day Cinematic Universe

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jedit posted:

Independence Day is the best alien invasion movie ever made.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I like the balancing act here of "vindictive killing off of actor who won't play ball" and "vague enough that actor could still be written back in at later date"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Byzantine posted:

Independence Day is the best alien invasion movie ever made.

Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion are both better than Independence Day.

But I do love me some id4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BonoMan posted:

True as gently caress.

This one is up there, though. Never before have 3 friendly morons been owned harder.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.warof1996.com/

I'm finding it hilarious that even after an alien invasion+ destruction of of god knows how much of Silicon Valley TED conferences still exist.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

I like the balancing act here of "vindictive killing off of actor who won't play ball" and "vague enough that actor could still be written back in at later date"

Seems pretty clear cut, the dude blew up

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I obviously had no expectations for this, but I'm surprised by just how bland this looks. No incredible money shots of some iconic building being destroyed? What were they thinking?
Maybe they don't want to spoil everything? Just a thought.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Independence Day had one of the most effective teasers in the history of the film industry. This one is mediocre and lazy. New big ship is bigger looks neat I guess.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The giant black dude in the red beret with the two giant machetes strapped to his back is already my favourite character of the entire film:

Gonna gently caress up some aliens REAL GOOD with them machetes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJ7eCiWY7M

:xcom:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BonoMan posted:

Earth vs the Flying Saucers is better than Independence Day. Even if you don't hate Independence Day, this is true. EvtFS is great.

GonSmithe posted:

Please don't be racist against Americans.

I'm not. I can sum up why Independence Day is a bad movie with three words that have nothing to do with race: that loving speech. The rest of the movie could have rivaled The Godfather Part II and that loving speech would still have dragged it down to crap, but in a movie with little else to offer beyond admittedly excellent special effects? Westboro Baptist Church are going to picket Emmerich's funeral with a sign saying "GOD HATES ID4", that's how bad it is.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Jedit posted:

Westboro Baptist Church are going to picket Emmerich's funeral with a sign saying "GOD HATES ID4", that's how bad it is.

:stare: Since when is WBC picketing something a sign that that thing is *bad*? WBC pickets funerals of soldiers and have signs that read "GOD HATES GAYS", does that mean soldiers and gay people are bad? Or is this some kind of "ironic" trolling that's gone over my head?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Part of the Jedit canon is that he agrees with WBC, and thinks they're good.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Jedit posted:

I'm not. I can sum up why Independence Day is a bad movie with three words that have nothing to do with race: that loving speech. The rest of the movie could have rivaled The Godfather Part II and that loving speech would still have dragged it down to crap, but in a movie with little else to offer beyond admittedly excellent special effects? Westboro Baptist Church are going to picket Emmerich's funeral with a sign saying "GOD HATES ID4", that's how bad it is.

That speech owned because it made an endless amount of angry autists like you go insane and I'm glad they put it in the trailer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read somewhere that the only reason the speech is in the movie is because the studio didn't want to call the movie "Independence Day" as there was some issue with the rights to that name. So Emmerich went and filmed that scene and showed it to the execs as a way to pump them up about the title and get them to pony up the cash.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Smart move as the speech owns.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Smart move as the speech owns.

Only for Americans. Us non-americans found it boring and cliché.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're going to get slapped. :colbert:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leaked German-language trailer for Star Trek: Beyond.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The speech was silly, but it was this scene that was most ridiculous to non-Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haIMvy_Iv3E

If the American president wants to be all gently caress YEAH AMERICA! that's cool, but it's the idea that everyone is just sitting on their hands waiting around for the US to come up with a solution that is the most eye-rolling.

That said, ID4 is awesome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

drat that looks like generic trash.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sabotage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYGln3eNeA

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw
Official trailer release

I'm... really not feeling this.
What the hell did they do this franchise? Trek 09 was really fun and actually felt like Star Trek in some ways.

After Into Darkness attempted to channel Wrath of Khan and failed miserably, this looks like it's just a generic adventure that has nothing to do with what Trek is and I don't appreciate the musical call back to the first movie at all. :doh:

e;fb

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not American, and I still love that speech. It consists of 100% US-glorifying clichés, but it works. The same goes for the rest of the movie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

It's a weird direction for the trailer, but the team dynamic is already popping a lot more than it ever did for Into Darkness. Justin Lin looking like a good call so far.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I dunno, the crew getting lost and having to deal with it seems more interesting than yet another Khan rip-off.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Deakul posted:

this looks like it's just a generic adventure that has nothing to do with what Trek is

To be fair, the title states that they're moving beyond Star Trek.

Doesn't seem like they're using Sofia Boutella as well as Kingsman did.

Is the alien at 1:03 Idris Elba? Doesn't look much like him to me, but if not interesting we only hear him in the trailer, not see him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deakul posted:

this looks like it's just a generic adventure that has nothing to do with what Trek is

Funny you should mentionthat ...

quote:

On the original draft by Orci, Pegg commented that Paramount "had a script for Star Trek that wasn't really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y." For his role as the primary screenwriter, Pegg had been asked to make this new film "more inclusive", stating that the solution was to "make a western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it's more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent." Pegg and Jung's screenplay is officially co-credited with Orci, McKay and Payne.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Beyond#Screenplay

Mission accomplished! :waycool:

On the other hand "The crew gets snatched out of the Enterprise and stranded on a remote planet with a whole bunch of other alien crews by some unknown power for some unknown reason" sounds like a plot straight out of a classic Trek episode

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Well there you go. But if anyone can get away with making it less "Trek-y," it's Pegg -- a talented writer in his own right who's also a giant nerd.

I mean we're on the five year mission now, so you're likely introducing new races, new planets, building up the sort of mythology that made the latter end of pre-Abrams Trek feel like such a chore for people who aren't hardcore sci-fi nerds. So as off as it might feel, an action-heavy trailer cut to SABOTAGE that emphasizes the team dynamic and gives viewers the quick gist of what's going on (the Enterprise is hosed, a frontier planet is violently resisting contact with Starfleet, Kirk's gonna bang a snow-skinned alien chick) is probably the way to go.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 14, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Independence Day 2 is going to loving own so hard

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Just a reminder that Jeff Goldblum bested the aliens by giving them malware so if they upgraded to McAfee platinum or something earth is hosed.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Still Fluxing posted:

I'm not American, and I still love that speech. It consists of 100% US-glorifying clichés, but it works. The same goes for the rest of the movie.

ya if there is ever a time for cheesy patriotism then it's certainly when aliens are destroying humanity. So in that context the speech works even if it's as american as it could possibly be (though ironic considering who the director was).

e: That Star Trek trailer is "meh" and it worries me that I'm probably more interested in ID2 than a new Star Trek (which seems to be less Star Trek with every movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

commy gun posted:

Just a reminder that Jeff Goldblum bested the aliens by giving them malware so if they upgraded to McAfee platinum or something earth is hosed.

Don't worry this time we'll hit em with Cryptolocker and lock up their weapon systems :downs:

• Locked thread