Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm doing the quest to get the wreckage of chapter 10's boss and I'm at the part where I need to find 3 pieces of it, found 2 easy enough but can't for the life of me locate the 3rd. Follow ball leads me to a empty spot then vanishes and there's so many giant robots that get pissy if I'm in my skell it's hard to look around. Anyone know if this piece has some gimmick or am I just not finding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm doing the quest to get the wreckage of chapter 10's boss and I'm at the part where I need to find 3 pieces of it, found 2 easy enough but can't for the life of me locate the 3rd. Follow ball leads me to a empty spot then vanishes and there's so many giant robots that get pissy if I'm in my skell it's hard to look around. Anyone know if this piece has some gimmick or am I just not finding it?

It's marked on the map as a treasure box, so beeline for those.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
SO I've been kind of ignoring the gear system and just upgrading my poo poo when the next tier of crap unlocks. Is there any better way for me to be handling this? I also haven't even looked into augment poo poo or adding slots to weapons and stuff, any baby steps towards wrapping my head around this poo poo that I should be taking?

I've also been stubbornly sticking to Harriers out of spite but gently caress, not having access to salvage tickets and poo poo is getting annoying. That's bad design and it makes me super sad :<

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it looks like chapter 8 is where the budget went, if only more of the story could be like this

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

g0lbez posted:

Renewed Will isn't appearing for me. I watched a youtube video and it's supposed to be in the commercial district near some baked goods place. What do I need to do to get it to show up?

Please don't tell me my game is bugged. I've searched google and nobody else has this issue so this will take forever for them to come out with a patch

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My sniper only build is thus. It could probably be adapted for other ranged weapons but I haven't tried. Melee weapon is irrelevant, you'll never use it. Arts are Ghost Sniper, Eagle Eye, Hawkeye, Shrapnel, Sidewinder, First Down, Afterburner and Intercept. Skills are currently Combo Gunner, Third Eye, Trigger Happy and the others are to taste. I like Red Zone, TP Overdrive, Aura Burst or Secondary Accelerator, but really, the core is the first three. You can basically just shoot really high damage crit streams forever. Dunno if its optimal or whatever but it works for me. Try to gear for crit up, helps keep those Afterburners rolling.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which level 30 skell is recommended?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Volume sliders would have fixed it

Nintendo removed all the sliders

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 14, 2015

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
What the hell and where the hell is the creature that drops "Mollusk Mucus" ? the Icon looks like its a fish-type and I'm missing some ??? slots in my fish info but I don't know where the gently caress to find those fish since fish don't follow the normal fish rules and stay in water or anything they fly everywhere and some "fish" are actually bugs ahhhgh what is with this planet!?

Additionally I have found a solution to all your fuel woes if you have a 30+ Skell
Get an F-Wave Right side Back weapon that has the Art that says "VS. MECHANOIDS: absorbs fuel"
equip it and go to Oblivia's Milligan Supply Base, one hex North of FN 309
Target one of the puges or pugeliths standing in the middle of the base, activate your F-Wave, absorb ~2000 Fuel, RUN AWAYyyyy until they de-aggro then repeat. Hooray now you can stop spending miranium on fuel! :toot:

This trick also works anywhere there is a clustered up group of robot type enemies. Milligan just has a convenient pile and a fast travel point.

Also I'm having a lot of fun with the Formula Skell, Its hilariously dirt cheap for how effective it has been.
I've cranked up it's evade as much as I can with just random drops weapons that have evade augments and almost nothing hits me, especially when I activate my arm shield art that buffs my evasion.

Oh yeah here's my Miranium storage setup, 102600 storage.

PRADA SLUT posted:

My suggestion is to go with a Mastema (Ranged skell weapons feel a lot more common than melee), and buy the +THERMAL/+PHYSICAL armor for it, then slap all thermal weaponry on it and go kill blattas til you get a pile of tatty wings, make some Slayer.INSECTOID XX augments and stack those in your weaponry, then grind up to 50 on some level 40 giant mantis things in the far north center of primordia.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 14, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nintendo removed all the spiders
I think everybody likes the Inferno for ranged and Amdusias for melee because of straightforward offensive overdrives combined with a decent starter kit but you're probably going to replace the armor with level 4 or 5 Sakuraba or Grenada gear for an opportunity to retune stats, and stats end up feeling like the points in Whos Line is it Anyway so you're excused if you just buy the coolest looking and sounding ones. Augment stacking eventually seems somewhat overdrive agnostic when it comes to punching above your weightclass so going with cool looking medium or heavy frames is a decent strategy, but maybe stay away from light frames unless you are really dedicated to the idea of evasion stacking.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why the gently caress is chapter 9 so hard through a difficulty drop and level 30 gear, and why the gently caress can't I abandon story missions or affinity quests

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Pomp posted:

why the gently caress is chapter 9 so hard through a difficulty drop and level 30 gear, and why the gently caress can't I abandon story missions or affinity quests

Are you shoving augments in your gear? Are you slaying his dorksquad before focuing on him? Are you commanding your NPCs to focus fire on your dorksquad target?

All those enemies on the ground count as "Humanoid" (humanoid slayer XX augs are easy to make from prone's broken belts) and humanoids are as a rule weak to Beam element.

Dunno what to tell you then, are you stuck on the ground fight or the mech fight afterwards? Have you been leveling up your Arts and Skills, and are you keeping your weapons up to date/your arms manufacturers full of miranium? (Sakuraba should be rank 5 and selling prime gear by that point?)

That fight is really rough, I went into it with gear that wasn't up to standard on my NPCs (I was being frugal) and got annihilated. I went and bought some more appropriate gear and aced them.

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 14, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Defiler posted:

Are you shoving augments in your gear? Are you slaying his dorksquad before focuing on him? Are you commanding your NPCs to focus fire on your dorksquad target?

All those enemies on the ground count as "Humanoid" (humanoid slayer XX augs are easy to make from prone's broken belts) and humanoids are as a rule weak to Beam element.

yes

game design tip - don't put a put a level requirement of 1 on the same mission as the hardest boss in your game so far, cutting players off from a big source of XP and abilities.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i complained so he's dead now

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
yeah those sudden difficulty spikes aren't gonna stop so i'd recommend saving before each story mission from now on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

After you get your flying ability, I recommend just not doing the remaining story missions for a long rear end time. Do everything else instead.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

g0lbez posted:

Renewed Will isn't appearing for me. I watched a youtube video and it's supposed to be in the commercial district near some baked goods place. What do I need to do to get it to show up?

for the love of god someone tell me where to find this poo poo i'm going insane

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Zombie Defiler posted:

What the hell and where the hell is the creature that drops "Mollusk Mucus" ? the Icon looks like its a fish-type and I'm missing some ??? slots in my fish info but I don't know where the gently caress to find those fish since fish don't follow the normal fish rules and stay in water or anything they fly everywhere and some "fish" are actually bugs ahhhgh what is with this planet!?

Just about any Filavent drops Mollusk Mucus, those are the weird things that look like plants that you see at White Phosphor Lake and a few other places.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

g0lbez posted:

for the love of god someone tell me where to find this poo poo i'm going insane

Have you actually had Irina in the party at any time? If not, go find her and put her in, then boot her out. If that doesn't work, save and close the game and see if it spawns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

what a jackass

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Did I miss anything for not doing any of Lao's missions before chapter 9

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

LemonAIDS posted:

You did do them. They're mandatory.

Note for anyone hunting down lobsters: You can't actually find all of them until you've done the Normal Mission Definian Downfall that appears after beating Chapter 11.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

The affinity missions are mandatory anyway. The heart-to-hearts do not affect your survey completion at all, so don't worry about it

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

Saigyouji posted:

You did do them. They're mandatory.

Note for anyone hunting down lobsters: You can't actually find all of them until you've done the Normal Mission Definian Downfall that appears after beating Chapter 11.

Not that I spent any effort looking for them but I've been wondering how they can hide 99 things inside there without red indicators popping up all over the place. Unless there are some in the water down below, there aren't right? crap

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Looper posted:

The affinity missions are mandatory anyway. The heart-to-hearts do not affect your survey completion at all, so don't worry about it

And oddly, they really went out of their way in a "make sure to buy the guide" kind of way to make heart-to-hearts difficult to find, especially considering they were map-marked in XC. Randomly find a tip (not required but good luck randomly wandering into them at the right time), make sure you have the right pet if necessary, and find the person (they have to be OUT of your party, because reasons) and finally pin them down. I haven't had a single one but I know where all of Elma's are except her first one, which of course I need to see any of them.

Tipme posted:

Not that I spent any effort looking for them but I've been wondering how they can hide 99 things inside there without red indicators popping up all over the place. Unless there are some in the water down below, there aren't right? crap

You guessed it. The things are everywhere and they make sure to stick a lot of them behind things so the red overlay doesn't help.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 14, 2015

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Serrath posted:

Sorry I should have clarified, the gamepad is the big controller that came with the Wii U, yes? I have that and <that> works at least, I'm trying to get it working with the wii controller; it's the wii controller that blinks twice then shuts itself off every time I try to get it working with the game.

But this is helpful, thanks. So if I buy a WiiU pro controller, I should expect it to work with the game and I can actually play it? Because playing it with the gamepad is awful...

Why would my existing wii controllers all work for every game on the WiiU except this one?

If you don't want to use the Gamepad, you need a Wii U Pro Controller. The Gamepad is cumbersome and the game is better with the Wii U Pro, you can just use the Gamepad when you need to fast travel or interact with the map.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

amusinginquiry posted:

If you don't want to use the Gamepad, you need a Wii U Pro Controller. The Gamepad is cumbersome and the game is better with the Wii U Pro, you can just use the Gamepad when you need to fast travel or interact with the map.

Using the pro with the gamepad on a coffee table or side table next you is optimal play for sure.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just bought my first Level 50 Skell and holy poo poo I feel invincible. I went back to a Tyrant that was giving my 4 Skell team trouble before and easily trounced him. Also Skell flamethowers are incredible, they make playing the game feel like sci-fi robot Vietnam war.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

brainwrinkle posted:

Just bought my first Level 50 Skell and holy poo poo I feel invincible. I went back to a Tyrant that was giving my 4 Skell team trouble before and easily trounced him. Also Skell flamethowers are incredible, they make playing the game feel like sci-fi robot Vietnam war.

Yeah, I saw firegun and couldn't come up with a reason not to use it. Also the buster sword thing, the Breaker or whatever. That thing is cool and wrecks poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What is it with scifi RPG's having massively racist party characters and that behavior is presented as a good thing? I can't wait to get this guy out of my party.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

What is it with scifi RPG's having massively racist party characters and that behavior is presented as a good thing? I can't wait to get this guy out of my party.

i don't think it's being presented as a good thing?

i actually like this game's portrayal of jrpg racism, humanity sucks

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

TurnipFritter posted:

Have you actually had Irina in the party at any time? If not, go find her and put her in, then boot her out. If that doesn't work, save and close the game and see if it spawns.

I am the worst. Apparently I already did this poo poo I just didn't install the data probe at Oblivia's entrance. Thank you though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

A lot of JRPGs seem to include "xenophobic/homophobic/etc but is a good person, also you can't tell them off" characters

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pretty sure that it is not presented as a good thing, but that being a space racist isn't the only thing about the character. Hell, most of the random people get along just fine with the aliens or have a quest about them overcoming initial revulsion.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
On the flip side, that quest where you race that one lady up the mountain in Primordia and she meets the Ma-non is totally :3: and ranks amongst my favorites.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

bloodychill posted:

And oddly, they really went out of their way in a "make sure to buy the guide" kind of way to make heart-to-hearts difficult to find, especially considering they were map-marked in XC. Randomly find a tip (not required but good luck randomly wandering into them at the right time), make sure you have the right pet if necessary, and find the person (they have to be OUT of your party, because reasons) and finally pin them down. I haven't had a single one but I know where all of Elma's are except her first one, which of course I need to see any of them.

her first one's in the industrial district, near the bottom of the stairs that go to the elevator. morning or afternoon i think.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Haha this strategy guide is the worst, got stuck on a boss, and looked for... I dunno details and it says... "Kill boss to complete the chapter."

edit: Also as long as you have two level 30 skells and one guy around 37, Cauldros 508 has some great crabs to grind on till 48ish. I did one battle with a lv 14 in party and they gained about 4 levels after one fight. And if you are 48 and it sucks at least you get tons of Class points while grinding up dudes.

This lets me take everyone but Lin and Elma on side missions to get Affinity rather easily.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 14, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

On the flip side, that quest where you race that one lady up the mountain in Primordia and she meets the Ma-non is totally :3: and ranks amongst my favorites.

the ma-non in general are adorable and i've completely 180'd on my first impression of them

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
man exploring oblivia is a pain because of the bugs that drop from nowhere

oh well at least i got a class branch maxed out now to try a new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Inflammatory posted:

her first one's in the industrial district, near the bottom of the stairs that go to the elevator. morning or afternoon i think.

Thanks for the tip!

• Locked thread