Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
who wants some advanced stats? Ozil is now on 13 assists for the season. That matches the highest number of assists Bergkamp, Gerrard and Mata have achieved in a whole season.

Where the Ozil haters at??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Machinegunboyo posted:

who wants some advanced stats? Ozil is now on 13 assists for the season. That matches the highest number of assists Bergkamp, Gerrard and Mata have achieved in a whole season.

Where the Ozil haters at??

Just doing his job mate

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I'm glad Ozil's finally come good and is no longer physically exhausted by walking down the tunnel before kick off

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think Fabregas had more last year at that time before he stopped playing competitive football altogether

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I think Fabregas had more last year at that time before he stopped playing competitive football altogether

By this time last year he probably had more assists than Chelsea has goals this year that aren't own goals from the other team.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think when you're in the entertainment industry and mainly the business of selling poo poo merchandise to idiot fans then you should probably sack a manager uniformed hated by the entire fanbase

But he isn't hated by the fan base. His football is.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

santanotreal posted:

By this time last year he probably had more assists than Chelsea has goals this year that aren't own goals from the other team.

sounds believable

e: believe Willian is the only guy to out score Own Goal

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

if you think Hernandez would improve the side then I dont think you really watch football.

United look utterly out of sorts in virtually every area of the pitch. The team against Bournemouth was completely disconnected. It lacked pace and playmakers and was skinned on the right by Stanislas and King. Most of the game is spent clinging on to the ball and the moments you do start to press ends with the ball going backwards because your front line aren't moving. If you don't think Javier Hernandez in current form wouldn't have improved an attack of Varela, Powell, Pereira and Depay then you're delusional.

corpuscollossus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 14, 2015

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think when you're in the entertainment industry and mainly the business of selling poo poo merchandise to idiot fans then you should probably sack a manager uniformed hated by the entire fanbase

Dont think hes hated at all. Plenty of chants of Louis Van Gaals Red and white army at Old Trafford.

corpuscollossus posted:

United look utterly out of sorts in virtually every area of the pitch. The team against Bournemouth was completely disconnected. It lacked pace and playmakers and was skinned on the right by Stanislas and King. Most of the game is spent clinging on to the ball and the moments you do start to press ends with the ball going backwards because your front line aren't moving. If you don't think Javier Hernandez in current form wouldn't have improved an attack of Varela, Powell, Pereira and Depay then you're delusional.

Idk why Im even debating with you when youve named 4 players who play in completely different positions to Hernandez, two wingers, a midfielder and a defender?????

Hernandez is by far a worse player all round than Martial and would do nothing for a team where the issue has been more creating chances. You conviniently forget the Hernandez spent a season on loan at Madrid who decided to not take up their option on him, and then played a few matches at the start of the season for United and did gently caress all.

Leverkusen are playing to his strengths which United wouldnt. In fact when they signed him there was some criticism saying they were just signing him to increase their profile in Mexico.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

A good player wouldn't improve Man U because they're incapable of change for the better. Got it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Digital Jesus posted:

A good player wouldn't improve Man U because they're incapable of change for the better. Got it.

I like Hernandez, but he's a goalscorer who thrives on opportunities. When youve got teams defending deep and in numbers he's not going to offer you masses. He excels when a team can break quickly and create a chance on the counter

Ive just gone and looked up his goals as I dont watch the Bundesliga - this is from the end of november

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pc8ba3_2E

The first one is a nice run (with a massive deflection) but then you get a run of where his strength is, getting the finishing header or tap in on a chance thats been created by team mates. Which has been whats not happening at United.

If he was still at United he'd be still sat on the bench. I'd query much more why James Wilson isnt being used and was sent out on loan rather than why we sold Hernandez.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Digital Jesus posted:

The problem, as Taff outlines, isn't so much that United's strikers aren't capable of converting strikes chances. That's a problem sometimes, sure, and Hernandez might help that because he'd be better than Rooney these days at least. But United aren't generating many chances and when they are, the chances often aren't that great.

If you look at how United play, players aren't making runs into space and the whole team is generally playing a very slow game most of the time. Hernandez wouldn't work in that system at all, if he was even given any game time. And he very well might not be.

E: Converting "strikes"? Chances.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The problem is the same now as it has been for ages. Build up play is too slow and ponderous and teams we face have all figured out if they park the bus we just pass it around in front of them then get killed on the counter attack.

Add that to the sole striker and no one running from deep beyond a play maker and we end up with crosses into a packed penalty area or the few creative outlets we have got being marked out of the game. It's worse now because the decent defence that was able to help grind out the narrow wins/draws has gone to poo poo through injury, which also means any extra attacking width from full backs like Darmian/Valencia/Shaw is non existent.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 14, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

A striker good at scoring from goalscoring opportunities? No thanks.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ninpo posted:

The problem is the same now as it has been for ages. Build up play is too slow and ponderous and teams we face have all figured out if they park the bus we just pass it around in front of them then get killed on the counter attack.

Add that to the sole striker and no one running from deep beyond a play maker and we end up with crosses into a packed penalty area or the few creative outlets we have got being marked out of the game. It's worse now because the decent defence that was able to help grind out the narrow wins/draws has gone to poo poo through injury, which also means any extra attacking width from full backs like Darmian/Valencia/Shaw is non existent.

I'd like to see us try and not play with 2 deep sat midfielders, I understand the logic behind it but it just seems there ends up with an easier defensive passing option. We have to be quicker with our attacks rather than the slow ponderous build up.

I was saying to my mate on the weekend that I think the loss of Shaw was bigger than expected as he was one of the few who gets the ball and runs. You just dont get that from any of the other fullbacks, and Shaw doing that created space.

Theres a bunch of injuries and players in bad form at the moment.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

fart simpson posted:

A striker good at scoring from goalscoring opportunities? No thanks.

In this United team I'd take Welbeck over Hernandez tbh.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Of course you would, your team is poo poo mate.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Because of Rooney they all see strikers as being some type of all round deep midfield role.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Have some people forgotten that Hernandez played like poo poo for a season and showed no improvement at the start of this season? He failed at the only thing he was good at, finishing chances, unlike his first couple of seasons. He was unhappy about his part time role here and wanted out. Starting him as a single striker was not an option. It's no surprise that he is now playing with renewed confidence and displaying the qualities that made him loved by the Utd fans.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Big Taff Man posted:

Welbeck is injured.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Because of Rooney they all see strikers as being some type of all round deep midfield role.

No, if I was getting a striker in at United in this formation I'd want someone strong able to hold up the ball and finish chances. I wouldnt want a Rooney, he's great behind a striker but I'd never play him as a number 9.

I'd take someone like Welbeck over Hernandez because he runs a lot more and works harder for the team bur he'd be far from ideal. Its great having a player like Martial and I think he's going to be a hell of a player, but with teams defending so deep its difficult to get the ball through to him and let him run at someone. Thats why I could understand why LVG has said about him playing wide at times - when he plays wide he gets more time with the ball at his feet and is usually just running at a player at a time rather than having a few round him

I'd say someone more like a Benteke or a Lukaku would fit in this team a lot better than someone like a Hernandez.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Don't get all Jozy about "service", if you have someone making good runs and working to constantly find space and decieve his marker then surprise you will have better "service" it's like magic.

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'd say someone more like a Benteke or a Lukaku would fit in this team a lot better than someone like a Hernandez.

I think Lukaku would be good for you but I dunno about Benteke.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
it's not like welbeck would be doing a lot of "working" in LVG system since all you do in it is jog 10 meters and pass it sideways haha

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think it's fair to criticize United for shipping off Hernandez, not as a failure of the club to recognize his qualities but as a failure of the club to address the problems which made him a poor option in the first place.

A lot of what posters like Taff are saying about how poor Chicharito would be in the current United team are familiar to me. I've said the same kind of stuff about Hernandez and the Mexico team as far as creating chances, creativity, the pace of play, so I don't think you guys are being unreasonable. What I have always said about Mexico and Hernandez though, is that if you have a player with his skillset available to you and you can't take advantage of him, that's a real failure on your part. Ferguson got excellent play from Hernandez, and if Van Gal was going to sell so cheaply a useful player I think it's very fair to slate him now when he's spent piles of money and his team is poo poo.

It's not so much "oh yes obviously Hernandez is so great" its more like "look what a good manager can do with a player like that, you're garbage"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

No, if I was getting a striker in at United in this formation I'd want someone strong able to hold up the ball and finish chances. I wouldnt want a Rooney, he's great behind a striker but I'd never play him as a number 9.

I'd take someone like Welbeck over Hernandez because he runs a lot more and works harder for the team bur he'd be far from ideal. Its great having a player like Martial and I think he's going to be a hell of a player, but with teams defending so deep its difficult to get the ball through to him and let him run at someone. Thats why I could understand why LVG has said about him playing wide at times - when he plays wide he gets more time with the ball at his feet and is usually just running at a player at a time rather than having a few round him

Gomis is available.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

The Big Taff Man posted:

So the Moyes long ball/cross/cross/cross tactics never left then.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remmebver when United fans pretended Pogba wans't good either :newlol:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Brendan Rodgers posted:

He's round alright.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

United fans must be nostalgic for when the club was making just one bad personnel move every three seasons

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Abu Dave posted:

Ive never known a United fan say that ever, its always been seen as a massive cock up.

sassassin posted:

Gomis is available.

I said earlier this season that he'd be better than Rooney in this team as a striker

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What I have always said about Mexico and Hernandez though, is that if you have a player with his skillset available to you and you can't take advantage of him, that's a real failure on your part. Ferguson got excellent play from Hernandez, and if Van Gal was going to sell so cheaply a useful player I think it's very fair to slate him now when he's spent piles of money and his team is poo poo.

I understand that but he got good play with him off the bench - if you look at the stats I think in Fergies last season Hernandez was increasingly being used off the bench rather than starting league matches. Infact I'll look it up

2010/11 - 15 starts, 12 sub appearances, 13 goals
2011/12 - 18 starts, 10 sub appearances, 10 goals
2012/13 - 9 starts, 13 sub appearances, 10 goals

Obviously 12/13 is when Van Persie signed and Hernandez drops down the order. Then you have Moyes give him 6 starts and 18 sub games, LVG comes in and signs Falcao and lets him go to Madrid where I cant find proper stats but it says 6 starts and 17 sub games on one site.

He wanted to start and he wasnt getting that at Madrid or United.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Why aren't United buying better players with all that dough? An aged DM, a solid DM, overrated winger, and an unproven 19 year old were the best they could come up with?

LVG is a fraud for sure.

It's even more humors that my team, Arsenal, bought no outfielders and are in much better shape.

Proof that spending for the sake of spending is a bad transfer policy. In Wenger We Trust.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I hope Leicester puts the smackdown on Chelsea today

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Why aren't United buying better players with all that dough? An aged DM, a solid DM, overrated winger, and an unproven 19 year old were the best they could come up with?

LVG is a fraud for sure.

It's even more humors that my team, Arsenal, bought no outfielders and are in much better shape.

Proof that spending for the sake of spending is a bad transfer policy. In Wenger We Trust.

They had to pay the no cl tax the year before and there just weren't that many good players available this year.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

The Big Taff Man posted:

I said earlier this season that he'd be better than Rooney in this team as a striker

Gomis would be even worse than Hernandez and Rooney for United right now. There's a reason he's the player caught offside the most in the PL. His whole playstyle is based on making runs behind.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

triple sulk posted:

I hope Leicester puts the smackdown on Chelsea today

If only Swansea and Norwich had won.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Big Taff Man posted:

He wanted to start and he wasnt getting that at Madrid or United.

I maintain that selling Hernandez was an understandable move for United, I said as much when it was announced. However considering United's results and form, I think it's perfectly fair for people to point to the success Chicharito has found in Germany and use it as an example that LVG is a bad manager.

If you sell a good player because he doesn't fit your system or whatever you drat well better get results.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blue footed boobie posted:

They had to pay the no cl tax the year before and there just weren't that many good players available this year.

a team like man utd doesn't really need to worry about players being available they can spend so much

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Van Gaal managed dt ruin 30 goals a year van persie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I maintain that selling Hernandez was an understandable move for United, I said as much when it was announced. However considering United's results and form, I think it's perfectly fair for people to point to the success Chicharito has found in Germany and use it as an example that LVG is a bad manager.

If you sell a good player because he doesn't fit your system or whatever you drat well better get results.

So then I'm guessing you wouldnt criticize them selling Van Persie or Nani, or not signing Falco, but would you criticize them selling Di Maria?

What about the fact that with Chicarito Bayer Leverkusen who finished 4th last season currently stand in 6th in the Bundesliga, while Man United who finished 4th last season (or 7th in the season Chicarito last played regularly) currently stand 4th in the Premier League. Looks like selling Chicarito actually improved our results or at least let us maintain the standing, well done LVG

• Locked thread