Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

She's lucky she didn't hit him. Deadly force generally isn't justifiable in defense of property, she'd be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't remember what happened with that dude who shot at the thieves stealing his neighbor's stuff? Some people REALLY want to kill someone legally and it's super creepy how normalized that's getting.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Radish posted:

I can't remember what happened with that dude who shot at the thieves stealing his neighbor's stuff? Some people REALLY want to kill someone legally and it's super creepy how normalized that's getting.

It happened in Texas, so a grand jury chose not to indict the shooter.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Who What Now posted:

This isn't real, right?

...right? :smith:

I think it's a safe bet that a chain email in which our plucky protagonist outsmarts a professor is made up.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

That immigration bill is basically a blowjob to every tech company that really wants to hire H1-B employees with half the salary and twice the exploitation of American employees.

So every tech company?

Really when you look at Zuckerberg's initiatives like "learn to code" and his attempts at immigration reform solely as ways to gradually push down tech wages they make way more sense.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
e: NVM stupid NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/opinion/campaign-stops/all-politicians-lie-some-lie-more-than-others.html

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So every tech company?

Really when you look at Zuckerberg's initiatives like "learn to code" and his attempts at immigration reform solely as ways to gradually push down tech wages they make way more sense.

When you hear "there aren't enough programmers" from a tech company add "that want to work for $50k" to it.

It's not just wages, the H1-B program essentially ties you to your employer for ten years until you get a green card and there are a thousand ways they can gently caress with you and reset the green card timer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Slaan posted:

Used to be. The Tea Party took over the school distrcit in 2010 and ended a bunch of the best things about the district because My Taxes!

Ya know for a few years I would have understood this because "rabble rabble I hate taxes rabble rabble." A protest vote kind of event. Thing is it's been going on three quarters of a century voting for the party that spouts this bullshit. In that time has any person who consistently votes straight ticket -R ever had their personal taxes drop? Ever? I asked family members about this over Thanksgiving and none of them could ever give a time when their personal tax burden dropped.

Multiple times they pointed to Bush's "free money checks", but never once could they say THEIR PERSONAL TAXES dropped. Federal, state and local revenues are in the loving tank across the nation because someone certainly isn't paying their social-contract "fair share" but it's never once been a person I've talked to. Every time they vote it's straight ticket -R because "My Taxes!" yet somehow I was the out of touch person without a clue when I tried to tell them their Randian Ubermensch Job Creators were screwing them raw dog style every time they pulled that lever.

Not sure how to get those two particular neurons to connect in these people's brains.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Luigi Thirty posted:

When you hear "there aren't enough programmers" from a tech company add "that want to work for $50k" to it.

It's not just wages, the H1-B program essentially ties you to your employer for ten years until you get a green card and there are a thousand ways they can gently caress with you and reset the green card timer.

And guess what? You get to be called a racist if you disagree with any of this. It's pretty much the easiest program to advocate for, ever.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Okonner posted:

I remember the Wake County Schoolboard going through some fuckery trying to put a stop to magnet schools but nothing about Orange County's schools.

Oh yeah, I thought chapel hill was also in wake county not orange. Oops.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

More workers need to unionize, and that includes tech.

Programmers and developers like to see themselves as too valuable to need unions and representation, but management will absolutely gently caress them over just like every other labor class, and they're dying for the chance to do so since they're sick and tired of having to pay good wages and benefits for IT work.

If you work for a living and get a paycheck from an employer, you're labor. More people need to realize this and act accordingly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you work for a living and get a paycheck from an employer, you're labor. More people need to realize this and act accordingly.

Kinda hard when this definition includes managers.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is really regional.

We were trying to hire Java coders for 75k/yr for 0-5 years of experience in Minneapolis and couldn't find people. We were only able to hire 2 of 10 positions so they hired a senior person and started training some BAs to code.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd like to think a super neglected IT department will burn companies in the long run like a cancer, but shareholders and upper management really don't give a poo poo.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SumYungGui posted:

Ya know for a few years I would have understood this because "rabble rabble I hate taxes rabble rabble." A protest vote kind of event. Thing is it's been going on three quarters of a century voting for the party that spouts this bullshit. In that time has any person who consistently votes straight ticket -R ever had their personal taxes drop? Ever? I asked family members about this over Thanksgiving and none of them could ever give a time when their personal tax burden dropped.

Multiple times they pointed to Bush's "free money checks", but never once could they say THEIR PERSONAL TAXES dropped. Federal, state and local revenues are in the loving tank across the nation because someone certainly isn't paying their social-contract "fair share" but it's never once been a person I've talked to. Every time they vote it's straight ticket -R because "My Taxes!" yet somehow I was the out of touch person without a clue when I tried to tell them their Randian Ubermensch Job Creators were screwing them raw dog style every time they pulled that lever.

Not sure how to get those two particular neurons to connect in these people's brains.

Next time ask them where they think their tax money goes.

Their problem isn't how much they're paying, it's with who they think is getting it. They really don't care if their tax burden goes down or not as long as "you know who" isn't getting as much in their undeserved government checks anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Next time ask them where they think their tax money goes.

Their problem isn't how much they're paying, it's with who they think is getting it. They really don't care if their tax burden goes down or not as long as "you know who" isn't getting as much in their undeserved government checks anymore.

No, they actually want their tax burden to go down. They think it's so high because of the welfare queens.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I'd like to think a super neglected IT department will burn companies in the long run like a cancer, but shareholders and upper management really don't give a poo poo.

Oh it does.

Our company neglects IT whenever possible. Which is why 1/2 of the people do drat near no work and get away with it. Management doesn't want to deal with IT so with no real oversight it just becomes a super inefficient bureaucracy.

Eventually a technologically competent competitor will enter the industry and put the old players out of business. Pretty much like what Amazon did to Sears and the rest of retail.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Xae posted:

Eventually a technologically competent competitor will enter the industry and put the old players out of business. Pretty much like what Amazon did to Sears and the rest of retail.

That isn't even remotely what is going on with retail stores.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The solution many companies have with IT is to contract it out to a specialized organization that only does that.

It makes sense too, since IT is a cost center & maintenance role not unlike janitorial staff, and those have been similarly contracted out already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sears got taken over by a hard core Randian who pit individual divisions against each other in a battle for resources.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

Sears got taken over by a hard core Randian who pit individual divisions against each other in a battle for resources.

Sears is a depressing story when you realize they could have been what Amazon is today.

They already had so much of what they needed to succeed when the internet took off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While it's dope that Amazon can deliver a shirt to my door in 2 days, they also have abusive labor practices and an entirely hosed up corporate culture.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

zoux posted:

While it's dope that Amazon can deliver a shirt to my door in 2 days, they also have abusive labor practices and an entirely hosed up corporate culture.

If their employees don't like it, they should just get better jobs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I know you're joking, but they do, at alarming rates.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I know you're joking, but they do, at alarming rates.

I'm more talking about their lower paid warehouse workers than their bamboozled technical staff who think that being exploited and working free overtime is being a good team player.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I think I've said this before, but my old boss got an offer from Amazon to run one of their warehouses, and while the compensation was into seven figures when accounting for stock options, it would've required her to essentially be "on call" 24/7.

Noooooope.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This is unironically what happens. Amazon just spits them out and then the resulting corpse shambles towards the nearest technology giant seeking refuge. (Happily, Microsoft and the like are only too happy to pamper them back into human-hood. The non-techies aren't so lucky, of course.)

Mr. Wookums posted:

Close, but needs more panicking about cYbeRseCuRiTy :colbert:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Grey Fox posted:

I think I've said this before, but my old boss got an offer from Amazon to run one of their warehouses, and while the compensation was into seven figures when accounting for stock options, it would've required her to essentially be "on call" 24/7.

Noooooope.

Can you forward that job onto me? I'd gladly be on call for a 7 figure salary

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Kinda hard when this definition includes managers.
Making lower management/foremen unable to be in labor unions was one of the smartest moves the 1% ever made.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Can you forward that job onto me? I'd gladly be on call for a 7 figure salary
Do you have an MBA from HBS?

edit: this was also like three or four years ago, so it's probably gotten worse

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Making lower management/foremen unable to be in labor unions was one of the smartest moves the 1% ever made.

It even has the added benefit of squeezing out anyone with organizational experience.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Swan Oat posted:

It happened in Texas, so a grand jury chose not to indict the shooter.

I bet the guy's legal bills were more than the value of the property.

:10bux::downsgun:

deoju fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 14, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

One of my favorite Corporations Run Amok stories in recent months was Planet Money's Netflix episode.

Basically one of its founders created a clear set of rules that created Netflix's results-oriented culture that basically resulted in them cutting or switching up everyone whenever the company needed, which is what helped turned Netflix from a startup that almost got suffocated by other media megacorps/their own mistakes (remember Qwikster?) into the thing everyone uses today.

Then the other founders turned around and fired the same founder who created those rules now that they were done with her.

It does an excellent job at exploring the good sides of this (maximum efficiency, and Netflix actually succeeding instead of failing as a result) and the bad (zero job security for anyone = everyone are endlessly working cogs who eventually get disposed of no matter what they do) while keeping in mind the basic fact that everyone sobbing about how they got fired was making six+ figures for years and are very likely continuing to do so, just at another company.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

I'm more talking about their lower paid warehouse workers than their bamboozled technical staff who think that being exploited and working free overtime is being a good team player.

I took that NYT piece with a grain of salt. I've known people who worked at Amazon IT and had dramatically different experiences.

But that is the way big companies are. I worked at a company that most people said was one of the best in the world to work far. Even other people on the project loved it. But I got saddled with a manager who was a grade-a sociopath and liked to scream, yell and intimidate people. I was forced to work asinine hours, was routinely insulted, screamed at and forced to work holidays or weekends for no reason. He was physically aggressive pounding tables and putting his finger right up in your face while yelling at you. For fun that manager was also the guy who didn't feel safe walking around Edina with out a gun.

Meanwhile other teams on the project were cruising to an easy 35 hour work week and tons of fringe benefits.

It was pretty blatantly a hit piece due to the ongoing Publisher/Amazon feud. The NYT article boiled down to "Some of the bosses at Amazon are assholes". Yeah, I'm sure most of them are. I'm also sure most of the bosses at any company are assholes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I am aware. They have a high turnover at both.

Xae posted:

I took that NYT piece with a grain of salt. I've known people who worked at Amazon IT and had dramatically different experiences.

But that is the way big companies are. I worked at a company that most people said was one of the best in the world to work far. Even other people on the project loved it. But I got saddled with a manager who was a grade-a sociopath and liked to scream, yell and intimidate people. I was forced to work asinine hours, was routinely insulted, screamed at and forced to work holidays or weekends for no reason. He was physically aggressive pounding tables and putting his finger right up in your face while yelling at you. For fun that manager was also the guy who didn't feel safe walking around Edina with out a gun.

Meanwhile other teams on the project were cruising to an easy 35 hour work week and tons of fringe benefits.

It was pretty blatantly a hit piece due to the ongoing Publisher/Amazon feud. The NYT article boiled down to "Some of the bosses at Amazon are assholes". Yeah, I'm sure most of them are. I'm also sure most of the bosses at any company are assholes.

You do know that Amazon's white collar pressure cooker culture is notorious, yes? Like the NYT piece wasn't shocking to anyone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xae posted:

But that is the way big companies are.

Yeah I know and that people defend that shows how hosed up our business culture is.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah I know and that people defend that shows how hosed up our business culture is.

That was intended to point out that big companies can't have a single uniform culture, despite how much they claim to. You can't get 10,000+ employees to all have the exact same treatment and experiences.

Which is why I lead with friends who had worked there and had a pretty good experience.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xae posted:

That was intended to point out that big companies can't have a single uniform culture, despite how much they claim to. You can't get 10,000+ employees to all have the exact same treatment and experiences.

You can sure as poo poo reduce the variability in experience though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

computer parts posted:

You can sure as poo poo reduce the variability in experience though.

To an extent.

But all it takes is one rear end in a top hat in a managerial position to make some people miserable. Minimizing the number of assholes reduces the chances and decreases the severity, but you can't hit 0.

I've had plenty of experiences where one group at a company was great to work for but the next one over was miserable.

The saying "People quit their boss, not their job" has a ton of truth to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xae posted:

But all it takes is one rear end in a top hat in a managerial position to make some people miserable. Minimizing the number of assholes reduces the chances and decreases the severity, but you can't hit 0.

Too bad Amazon isn't doing that.

• Locked thread