Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm having dinner with George Takei in February. Someone is bound to start a discussion with him about how he feels about the rise of Trump and the Japanese internment comparisons we've seen lately, though I don't have the heart to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Radbot posted:

Agreed. The stereotype of IT has white, Randian gods has never, ever rung true to me (mostly because the vast majority of people I work with in IT aren't white, their Randian god status is mostly unknown but seems unlikely). Guess it just shows how people project what happens in Silicon Valley to the rest of the country/all industries, and how people confuse CJing with development.
It really depends on the industry segment. You start to run into more libertarians as you get closer to the startup side of things.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Anderron Shi posted:

What are some of the more interesting things that drive people to want to see Trump get nominated? Like the calling Hillary a oval office thing, etc. I want specifics.

death to America for me

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Ogmius815 posted:

She's lucky she didn't hit him. Deadly force generally isn't justifiable in defense of property, she'd be hosed.

Good thing she's white or she'd have gone to jail anyway. (she got released last winter, thankfully)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raerlynn posted:

Doesn't solve the constant abuse from politicians, parents, and general budget fuckery that being a teacher subjects you too. Also not every high school offers AP, nor do all colleges recognize and credit AP courses with college credit.

Also Stafford loan money is managed by the schools finance department, not the individual, so lol at committing what is likely fraud with federal education loans.

Any student can sign up and take AP tests on their own. If financial capacity is an issue, the College Board has scholarships available for students with documented need.

An overpayment on a bursar's account will result in a refund to the individual.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raerlynn posted:

IT, especially startup IT that bills itself as "disruptive", tends to poo poo on what they see as overbearing government regulation when it gets in the way of their cool new product. See Lyft, Uber, and Airbnb for classic examples of this.

You really need to get out of the head space where you think Silicon Valley represents all tech workers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

startup land probably makes up less than 1% of the IT industry by headcount

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anderron Shi posted:

Well, I meant physically. Also, imagine you're only looking at her while she is talking about something unrelated to politics, and you have no previous knowledge of her existence or affiliations/values/beliefs/etc.

I do not. To me she has a certain look to her that is similar to a look that Coulter and other right-wing women share. Can't quite explain it, but I'm repulsed by it.

That said, it probably has to do with my bias. Women that I find attractive but are intellectually unattractive tend to become less attractive to me.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

shrike82 posted:

But 99% of all publicity.

Because Bob the DBA tuning a query on a Point of Sale system to run 5% faster doesn't generate 50 blog posts about disruption and innovation.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Xae posted:

You really need to get out of the head space where you think Silicon Valley represents all tech workers.

Not all, but a lot. I have a friend who works for a small tech outsource CJ firm full of neckbeards and fedoras. When they got acquired by a regional telco that already had contracts with the IBEW and CWA, the employees themselves started a anti-union campaign before the ink was dry on the sale, because they didn't want their wages "stolen" for union dues and supporting liberal politicians.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Xae posted:

It's not headspace, it's people where I live in the Midwest sharing the same views. Hth.

Edit:

Mulva posted:

Not all, but a lot. I have a friend who works for a small tech outsource CJ firm full of neckbeards and fedoras. When they got acquired by a regional telco that already had contracts with the IBEW and CWA, the employees themselves started a anti-union campaign before the ink was dry on the sale, because they didn't want their wages "stolen" for union dues and supporting liberal politicians.

This sentiment is more common than you may think.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Boon posted:

That said, it probably has to do with my bias. Women that I find attractive but are intellectually unattractive tend to become less attractive to me.
A healthy bias I lack.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

shrike82 posted:

There's Silicon Valley unicorn startup land and then there's all the small local startups and helpdesk/web/sysadmin contracting companies, I was referring to both kinds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shakugan posted:

I'm having dinner with George Takei in February. Someone is bound to start a discussion with him about how he feels about the rise of Trump and the Japanese internment comparisons we've seen lately, though I don't have the heart to do so.

He's been pretty vocal on facebook about his distaste for the whole matter. It's a bit strange how his play about Japanese internment has suddenly become 10 times more relevant

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Augus posted:

He's been pretty vocal on facebook about his distaste for the whole matter. It's a bit strange how his play about Japanese internment has suddenly become 10 times more relevant

Speaking of, did the Trump or that shitheel mayor who used the internment camps to justify turning away Syrian refugees ever take Takei up on his offer?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
To be fair, a bare minimum of half of those 'yes' votes are a reflex of 'literally anything is better than Obamacare"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So basically:
1. There's still some hope for abortion in this country, even if it is slim. :unsmith:
2. Republicans have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to how healthcare works, what a twist.
3. Republicans are also chickenshit and only hawkish when it means kicking first graders in the head for their lunch money (Invade ISIS! 20,000 troops, oorah!) but not when it means picking a fight with somebody your own size like Russia.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

There's Silicon Valley unicorn startup land and then there's all the small local startups and helpdesk/web/sysadmin contracting companies, I was referring to both kinds.

ok and is there any reason why i should be thinking that these non-SV firms skew more libertarian than gen pop?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Shakugan posted:

Don't bring that poo poo up in a dinner conversation. You'll only ruin the mood for everyone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pacmania90 posted:

Don't bring that poo poo up in a dinner conversation. You'll only ruin the mood for everyone.

Actually he should because it's unbecoming of a goon not to ruin dinners.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

shrike82 posted:

ok and is there any reason why i should be thinking that these non-SV firms skew more libertarian than gen pop?
Small businesspeople in general tend to lean libertarian.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If we just changed the Declaration of Independence to read "...all white male citizens of these United States are created equal..." that would put Trump in the clear, right?

Some minor changes the Constitution would be just as easy.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Uhhh

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gail Wynand posted:

Small businesspeople in general tend to lean libertarian.

And it's not a coincidence that working directly for small business owners is likely the worst thing possible, whether you're their family member, an employee, or contractor.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Neither, it's Tom Brady.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Horse jockeys aren't people.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

pacmania90 posted:

Yeah, I'm not planning to. I think some others will though. I'm sure he'd be willing to talk about it though, discussing international relations, race relations etc is a big part of why we're having the dinner (I live in a residential college that runs discussions and outreach about this sort of thing) and he knows that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbh, i've preferred working in a family business than working for a large corporate.
you guys seem to be trafficking in stereotypes - do black people typically tip less as well?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Not sure if people who think horses are also people is far too many or far too few.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MariusLecter posted:

Not sure if people who think horses are also people is far too many or far too few.
Sportscritter of the Year

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Someone post that magazine cover pic of Lebron James carrying a model versus king kong and a woman.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
as a reminder, i am almost certain a horse has one that before

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Check out the partisan split on Serena Williams favorability ~*~for some strange reason~*~ :iiam:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
ESPN put Secretariat at #35 on their list of the top North American athletes of the 20th century. Just behind Lou Gehrig.

Edit: Also, Citation was #97 and Man o' War was #84.

Presto fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 14, 2015

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Some intrepid reporter went and talked to actual Trump supporters.

quote:

"When you're in war, you have to take steps that are not American to protect yourself and defend the country," said Margaret Shontz, of Cedar Falls, Iowa, as she arrived at a Trump campaign stop in Des Moines on Friday.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I'd like to go back (to) when I was younger in the 50s and 60s, when the country was a little better. It was America then. I'm starting to worry we're starting to lose identity in this country, I do believe," Witmer said.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Being compared to Hitler is how you know you've reached the apex," said Gary Hopper, 58, of Bedford, New Hampshire.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Look, if I let you borrow my shoes from my house, when you bring them back, I'm not going to bring them back in until I reassess and see what I've got," she said.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

This kind of makes me wonder what other leftist positions you could get a plurality of Republican voters to support, if you bury it in a bunch of conservative shibboleths.

Tell me if you support the following positions:
- Temporarily block all Muslims from entering the united states
- Repeal all state laws on magazine limits
- Abolish the Environmental Protection Agency
- Transfer ownership of the company you work for to the people who work there
- Deport all 11 million illegal immigrants in the united states

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

quote:

Back at Rosie's, Hooker made a point to say that among her hundreds of Facebook friends, "a few of them are Muslims. One's even an atheist."

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

MariusLecter posted:

It was only a matter of time once gay marriage was legalized...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

as a reminder, i am almost certain a horse has one that before

A horse has never been the SI sportsperson of the year, although a jockey was once.

• Locked thread