Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Bland posted:

Why is that?

Since they're forced into your party for every single story mission, it's better to keep them in outside of the story just so they actually stay at level. Unless you like trying to solo bosses I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

horriblePencilist posted:

Heads up: The evac site is South. :suicide:

What happens if you go North? I chose South and everything was peachy with the Nopons saving him.

Also I like Phog and Alexa. Alexa because she's the best and Phog because I'm trying to turn him into a discount Shulk (given his abilities and hairstyle)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just got flight. God, it feels so good. I'm still glad I stuck to my self-imposed rule of getting every possible probe point on foot/ground skell first though, because it really just totally nullifies a lot of former exploration tactics. Cauldros is pretty goddamn clearly designed around you having flight though, geez. Was pretty fun and challenging to probe it as much as I did though. I also happened to hit level 50 at the same time, and man does that ever feel like a giant power boost. I'm kind of irritated that ranged weapons get so many cool shoulder weapon options like a dragon launcher and V2 Gundam buster launcher and melee is still stuck with the big sword and big lance as shoulder options. Anything I can go kill to get some better melee shoulder options? Not like the Breaker is bad, it's just kinda boring by this point. At least you get a lot of crazy new hand weapon options, I guess. Like the green extend-o-sword or the BEAM CLAW.

Edit: Also as someone who is obsessively doing every affinity quest, every party member is cool and good except Boze, and even then his quests are pretty worthwhile. HB is loving great and anyone who hates him clearly has never paid attention to his incredibly smug battle dialog.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Besides Elma and Lin, I've been using Doug, Lao, Irina, Murderess, H.B., and (kinda post chapter 8 spoilers I guess) Nagi and I still wanna try L and Alexa but there are just too many of these dudes :(

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm kind of irritated that ranged weapons get so many cool shoulder weapon options like a dragon launcher and V2 Gundam buster launcher and melee is still stuck with the big sword and big lance as shoulder options. Anything I can go kill to get some better melee shoulder options? Not like the Breaker is bad, it's just kinda boring by this point. At least you get a lot of crazy new hand weapon options, I guess. Like the green extend-o-sword or the BEAM CLAW.

Edit: Also as someone who is obsessively doing every affinity quest, every party member is cool and good except Boze, and even then his quests are pretty worthwhile. HB is loving great and anyone who hates him clearly has never paid attention to his incredibly smug battle dialog.

I'm still rocking Lv30 Skells, but the beam scythe from behind basically one-shots medium sized indigens up to ~lv50, so that's what I've been using. But so far skell combat has felt pretty lackluster. It took me a while to figure out ground combat (I still don't really get it), so I'm just assuming I'm skelling wrong and still need to figure it all out.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I actually kept Alexa in my party wearing Exp Boost gear for so long that she outleveled everyone else.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm still rocking Lv30 Skells, but the beam scythe from behind basically one-shots medium sized indigens up to ~lv50, so that's what I've been using. But so far skell combat has felt pretty lackluster. It took me a while to figure out ground combat (I still don't really get it), so I'm just assuming I'm skelling wrong and still need to figure it all out.

I meant back option by the way oops but yeah the beam scythe is alright too, you know? I just totally geared my Skell up for melee and there just... Aren't a whole lot of melee options for the BIG WHAMMY slots. Lots of spare weapons and hand weapons, but barely any choice in the back and shoulder department.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Saigyouji posted:

The weirdest fixed soul voice I've seen so far is how Lao has one for female party members healing him. Which I'm pretty sure I've only seen triggered by me.

i think that voice refers to healing or buffing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Further corroborating my theory that the denizens of the white whale were the third class citizens the Golgafrinchans sent away

That does explain a lot about the game.

Personally, I'm hoping that the end of the game where humanity has been rescued and founds a new civilization on Mira. The camera pans through a nice little town with children playing and then in a dramatic twist goes past a sign that reads "Welcome to Pallet Town".

5er
Jun 1, 2000

60 hours into the game. Only just finished Ch.7. Soon as I got a Skell, I had to get 3 more for the rest of the team. 1 Amdusias and 3 Infernos later here I am. The game just keeps providing poo poo to do, it's great.

Favorite music as of this point, is cave music.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What happens if you go North? I chose South and everything was peachy with the Nopons saving him.

He dies horribly to a poison lake.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ImpAtom posted:

With a little more polish it would be the GotY and frankly the only reason it isn't to me is a combination of the weak plot (which I could ignore if not for the flaws) and the nagging design decisions scattered throughout. It reminds me a bit of Demon's Souls in that the core of what is there is so strong that I can look beyond the obtuseness in a lot of places. It's worse that Demon's Souls in that the obtuseness gets in your way a lot more and the game is significantly more complex in a basic 'play this' way.

being on the wii u doesn't help this, either

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I need the help of you other lvl 60's. I'm currently grinding Tyrants in the hunt for lvl 60 super katana's. Dadaan the Strongest Prone at FN site 307 in Oblivia drops gravity type swords while apparently the Chimaera in the poison cave in Noctilum drops Ether swords but I'm not strong enough to find out.
I'm looking for other types of Katanas but I've yet to find any lvl 60 ones. Based on the 2 I know of I think they drop from Tyrants that are scaled for ground combat and are eligible to drop lvl 60 gear. Also not from Tyrants that drop skell gear instead.

Here's a sample of what the swords are like.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 14, 2015

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Saigyouji posted:

Since they're forced into your party for every single story mission, it's better to keep them in outside of the story just so they actually stay at level. Unless you like trying to solo bosses I guess?

Story missions are super easy with skells though. I rarely touch those 2 since I started unlocking new dudes.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So is the rarity order Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>White or Orange>Yellow>Blue>Green>White?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Unique is less common than Rare, so yes green is rarer than blue

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Looper posted:

Unique is less common than Rare

I figured, but I swore I saw a rarity list with them in the opposite order because I'm dumb.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Senerio posted:

So is the rarity order Orange>Yellow>Green>Blue>White or Orange>Yellow>Blue>Green>White?

green is unique and blue is rare, so i assume green is better.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Bland posted:

Story missions are super easy with skells though. I rarely touch those 2 since I started unlocking new dudes.

Part of the reason I sidetracked in Ch.7 to put everybody in Skells, was because the boss fight of that chapter wiped the floor with me. My party was average about level 22 then.
I sidequested / earned up enough to put me in the fatty tank-rear end skell, and the rest of the team in Infernos. I made level 41 on everybody by that point. Went back to that fight, and it was over in about 90 seconds.

I get cocky sometimes and try to pick fights with stuff 10 levels above and get trashed, but any regular critters within 10 levels, and most tyrants between 3 to 5 levels higher are pretty easy fights. Anything equal level or below facing an updated pack of skells gets hosed up.

Inflammatory posted:

green is unique and blue is rare, so i assume green is better.

They're kind of messing with the MMO color code a bit, where green is 'a bit better than normal' and blue is 'better than green'. It's the other way around with XCX.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Senerio posted:

I figured, but I swore I saw a rarity list with them in the opposite order because I'm dumb.

lol it is kinda weird jumping from Common to Rare

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
why is everyone taking dating advice from a 13-year-old

in the next cutscene Dorothy is standing on the street at night talking and gesturing to herself, while my party member remarks how beautiful she looks :lol:

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 14, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Infinity Gaia posted:

I meant back option by the way oops but yeah the beam scythe is alright too, you know? I just totally geared my Skell up for melee and there just... Aren't a whole lot of melee options for the BIG WHAMMY slots. Lots of spare weapons and hand weapons, but barely any choice in the back and shoulder department.
I might be mixing signals of what recipe was where, but I think the level 5 mechanical chest in the Oblivia SE collectible cave has a recipe for a 125k force back flail

Fhqwhgads posted:

Have you filled your weapon augment slots with crafted intergalactic accuracy and species exploitation aguments? Cheap as hell and you usually have enough room to like 2-2.5x your damage against theroids, insectoids and mechanoids while stacking enough accuracy to reliably hit stuff up to and through level 50s without doing any augment juggling. The multiplier only goes up if you are willing to agument juggle.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
now Lin is staring straight at Lao's rear end while talking to him. This is the best mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid sexy Lao.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If any goons are broke, this is the best setup I can find for stacking cheese early on. No flight, but I had to Bethesda some of the viewpoints:

Additionally, I just chained three probes to the thin, middle section of Noctilum, and have random ones running on the south end.

If you lack the Booster, you can use a regular probe but you lose about 30k

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I just am not able to find more research probes despite doing every mission I can and grabbing as many field actions as I can. It's weird.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
At a minimum, 4 probes will give you a decent ROI with that setup.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How often does the mining and revenue returns tick? I've played for hours without getting any resources but will get several ticks at random times

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

At a minimum, 4 probes will give you a decent ROI with that setup.

Oh, I have a setup like that already. I'm just lamenting my general inability to make it MORE effective.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

How often does the mining and revenue returns tick? I've played for hours without getting any resources but will get several ticks at random times

Materials are every 15 minutes.
Money every 30.
Miranium every 45.

Time doesn't seem to count down when in menus, or when the game goes to standby.

And you can't cheese it by propping the control stick while at work or whatever, it'll only give you one tick of everything. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zore posted:

Materials are every 15 minutes.
Money every 30.
Miranium every 45.

Time doesn't seem to count down when in menus, or when the game goes to standby.

And you can't cheese it by propping the control stick while at work or whatever, it'll only give you one tick of everything. :(

I think it resets then every time you fiddle with the probes because I played for a substantial amount of time, moving my probes every so often and was still without miranium

ultimatequix
Dec 9, 2007
Anyone have tips on how to make enough money to afford a lvl50 skell? I just finished the story (party is around lvl50). I want the 50 Amdusias so I can start endgame farming, but its 4million and my income is only at 93k. Is there a good way to make money that doesn't rely on waiting for revenue ticks? If not, what types of missions typically give storage/booster/duplicators as they've been pretty rare up to this point.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Tobias quests give two booster probes. His first one is in the test hangar and the second is in front of the BLADE barracks.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ultimatequix posted:

Anyone have tips on how to make enough money to afford a lvl50 skell? I just finished the story (party is around lvl50). I want the 50 Amdusias so I can start endgame farming, but its 4million and my income is only at 93k. Is there a good way to make money that doesn't rely on waiting for revenue ticks? If not, what types of missions typically give storage/booster/duplicators as they've been pretty rare up to this point.

You now have access to support missions, the highest level of which gives 300k per run. (And also 30k miranium).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I take it the game has a robust post-game?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is everyone so broke? I have two pimped out 30 skells, full equipment on everyone, and 7 mil in the bank. I just finished chapter 8.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

Lao's main reason to exist is so that you can steal his clothes and use them as a fashion set on somebody who isn't Lao.

I forgot to do that and realized I don't care. I just wish there was a separate tab for fashion clothes or a way to sort them because I have so many now...

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Anyone know how the bonus this damage stacks? Or if it stacks at all? As in, if I stack q bunch of insectoid damage ups or some beam ups. Stacked a few and its hard to tell if it's as effective as it would sound.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I ASSUME all the %bonus' are just all added together. like, random example, +50% for X damage type skill +100% for being used in a combo +50% for being behind, and +75% for soul voice trigger would just add up to the normal attack at + 275% damage. That's just an educated guess though as I'm stacking millions of % damage bonus' and if they didn't stack like that I feel like my damage would be WAY higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

The Tobias quests give two booster probes. His first one is in the test hangar and the second is in front of the BLADE barracks.

First one I found was in the blade barracks...

• Locked thread