Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

College is a little different, but the idea is the same on the wild expansion side. The attitude at basically every minor-league college team (Your Charlottes, your Old Dominions, your Universities of South Alabama) is that they are going to make it big somehow someday so they spend major money trying to emulate Oklahoma and Alabama. But there's no salary cap in college football, hell there are no salaries. It doesn't matter if North Texas builds a player facility that's 10x better than Alabama's, Alabama will still get those 5-star recruits because they are Alabama. And eventually when the latest hype bubble of college sports dies off (and when college football's popularity starts to wane a little, which is already starting), there are going to be a lot of people asking why we spent 68 million dollars on an athletic training facility for a football team that finished last in the Sun Belt three years running.
If anyone wants to read up on this, I highly suggest Big-Time Sports in American Universities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Basically the best-kept secret in college sports is the whole system is really loving unsustainable (and is also pretty much the only thing keeping cable in existence). There are going to be a lot of cheques to cash someday and the proverbial funds to back them up aren't going to be there anymore. It's honestly a lot like the Arena Football fad of the late 1990s. Kurt Warner leads the Barnstormers in some really good games and the AFL gets a swelled head, creates af2 with 26(!) teams, and thinks they're going to be the 5th major sport.

Today, the AFL is dead, the af2 actually is the only thing that lives on, having bought the AFL name and adopted their history, and consists of 8 teams (down from 13-ish I believe - I think 5 folded after the last season) and it's a legitimate concern how many of those teams are going to have the funds to make it to April which is when the season starts because you knew that because everyone watches Arena Football right?

College is a little different, but the idea is the same on the wild expansion side. The attitude at basically every minor-league college team (Your Charlottes, your Old Dominions, your Universities of South Alabama) is that they are going to make it big somehow someday so they spend major money trying to emulate Oklahoma and Alabama. But there's no salary cap in college football, hell there are no salaries. It doesn't matter if North Texas builds a player facility that's 10x better than Alabama's, Alabama will still get those 5-star recruits because they are Alabama. And eventually when the latest hype bubble of college sports dies off (and when college football's popularity starts to wane a little, which is already starting), there are going to be a lot of people asking why we spent 68 million dollars on an athletic training facility for a football team that finished last in the Sun Belt three years running.

My girlfriend watches college football (I never saw a game until about three years ago) and I constantly see these ridiculous blowout games and I just don't understand the point of watching something like that. The rivalry games can be a little exciting since they are somewhat evenly matched but when team with a huge football department goes up against Podunk U it's just painful to watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

My girlfriend watches college football (I never saw a game until about three years ago) and I constantly see these ridiculous blowout games and I just don't understand the point of watching something like that. The rivalry games can be a little exciting since they are somewhat evenly matched but when team with a huge football department and a million dollar salary coach goes up against Podunk U it's just painful to watch.

Podunk U makes tons of money from those games.

Also sometimes they beat Huge State U and it's the best.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Radish posted:

My girlfriend watches college football (I never saw a game until about three years ago) and I constantly see these ridiculous blowout games and I just don't understand the point of watching something like that. The rivalry games can be a little exciting since they are somewhat evenly matched but when team with a huge football department goes up against Podunk U it's just painful to watch.

The average MoV is pretty small, tbh.

zoux posted:

Podunk U makes tons of money from those games.

Also sometimes they beat Huge State U and it's the best.

But also this. Schools like NE Louisiana State play teams like Michigan to pay the bills.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz is a diehard fan of “The Princess Bride,” but one of the film’s stars, Mandy Patinkin, says the Texas Republican isn’t “putting forth ideas that are at the heart of what that movie is all about.”

The GOP presidential candidate has long professed his love of the 1987 flick, even acting out an entire scene from the movie during an interview with a New Hampshire radio station last month.

But Patinkin, whose character delivers one of the most quoted lines from the comedy-adventure — “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die” — says there’s one utterance that Cruz leaves out when expressing his “Princess Bride” fandom.

“I would like to be with Senator Cruz for a moment and I would like to respectfully ask him, since he quotes all the lines from ‘The Princess Bride’ and certainly all of my character, Inigo Montoya’s, lines, I would like to know why he doesn’t quote my favorite line?” Patinkin tells The New York Times in an interview published Monday.

The line, Patinkin tells the paper, is one that teaches love conquers all: “After the princess flies out the window and falls into Andre the Giant’s arms, Inigo says to the Man in Black, ‘I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it’s over, I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life.’”

The 63-year-old performer says he would tell Cruz, “If you’re going to say those lines, you’ve got to say the other line, too.”

Patinkin, who plays a CIA chief on “Homeland,” detailed how he helped refugees get ashore in Greece in November while filming the Showtime series’s fifth season. “I’m not a politician. I’m an actor,” Patinkin told CBS News last week. “I refer to myself as a humanitician.”

Patinkin criticized Cruz in his interview with the Times, saying “I would love for Senator Cruz, and everyone creating fear mongering and hatred, to consider creating hope, optimism, and love. Open your arms to these people, these refugees trying to get into our country, and open your hearts.”

Mandy Patinkin seems like one of the world's best people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're already, in theory, making money off their image, in that everything they do get is basically paid for that way. As for worker's comp -- I think you're probably not that far off from seeing some sort of long-term care operation for former players. Though often if a player gets hurt during the season, it's completely covered by their team. Like a player who blows out their knee isn't going to pay for.

And to be clear, it is rare for a student to lose their scholarship because of injury (it's a PR disaster in the waiting.) Though we could guarantee this by requiring 4/5 year scholarships.

But the student will pay for the rest of their life, even if the school covers the medical bills for 4 years:

quote:

The NCAA reports there are 20,718 college football injuries a year, with 841 of those spinal injuries. The National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research has recorded a steady rise in the number of football players who have permanent disability due to cervical cord and brain injuries.

(http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/05/i-trusted-em-when-ncaa-schools-abandon-their-injured-athletes/275407/)

Those are people who are as a group are going to have a real risk lifetime medical costs, while that school (and their corporate partners) could potentially continue to make money off their image long after they are dead.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Radish posted:

The rivalry games are fun to watch, which is why Alabama/ Auburn / Texas / Nebraska / Penn State - your big boys are pretty much fine no matter what.

But yeah you're right, these cupcake matches are pretty boring and when a cupcake like Tulsa stops getting a game with Oklahoma (because Oklahoma is tired of the lovely attendance of the Tulsa game at Gaylord / maybe OU decides they get a better exhibition game out of North Texas and they can play closer to their huge alumni base in Dallas?), they'll have to resort to their big payday games being against some major 5 loser like Iowa State, creating a vortex of suck even die hard Cyclone fans will decide maybe they can check in on during commercials of the Missouri-Illinois game. And I can pretty much guarantee Iowa State isn't going to pay as much as the Sooners.

edited to add: Of course, Tulsa will still hang around - there are hundreds of college football programs nationwide, with DI-A, I-AA (FBS and FCS), D-II, and D-III. There's even the government cheese feeling of NAIA football if you're looking for a reason to drink bailey's in the bleachers. But there's so much money going into the non-major FBS programs that's just not creating results and soon enough people will have to stop not noticing.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 14, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Trabisnikof posted:

But the student will pay for the rest of their life, even if the school covers the medical bills for 4 years:

Those are people who are as a group are going to have a real risk lifetime medical costs, while that school (and their corporate partners) could potentially continue to make money off their image long after they are dead.

And guess who almost always pays for that treatment? The school or boosters.

I am fully aware of the need for more comprehensive aftercare -- I am just saying it's not entirely the way you're casting it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every year it gets harder and harder to like football.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Every year it gets harder and harder to like football.

Just wait till Texas hires Tom Herman next year and then you'll be fine again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Just wait till Texas hires Tom Herman next year and then you'll be fine again.

I doubt that since Charlie and co. made a Pilgrimage of Penitence to Tulsa to hire their loving OC this weekend.

I just mean on top of the labor exploitation, fighting hard against CTE research, covering up/ignoring abuse from and towards players, etc.

I love the game, just all the stuff attendant to it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

I doubt that since Charlie and co. made a Pilgrimage of Penitence to Tulsa to hire their loving OC this weekend.

I just mean on top of the labor exploitation, fighting hard against CTE research, covering up/ignoring abuse from and towards players, etc.

lol if you think gilbert is going to save that mess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol if you think gilbert is going to save that mess.

I don't but I don't think they are going to fire him next year unless the whole staff goes and then we got bigger problems than just not having Rutgers' OC.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Mandy Patinkin seems like one of the world's best people.
He had to quit working on Criminal Minds because it ate at his soul so much:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/mandy-patinkin-regrets-criminal-minds-1053095/

quote:

During a recent interview with New York Magazine, Patinkin opened up about his abrupt exit from the CBS procedural in 2007 after only two seasons. "The biggest public mistake I ever made was that I chose to do Criminal Minds in the first place," Patinkin said. "I thought it was something very different. I never thought they were going to kill and rape all these women every night, every day, week after week, year after year. It was very destructive to my soul and my personality. After that, I didn't think I would get to work in television again."
I can definitely understand, I got burned out on watching Criminal Minds; it just got so depressing after a while.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

There's next to zero effort put into ensuring college football is a good product on the field. Without any real controls, salary caps, or methods like the NFL uses to force some level of parity, you end up with lots of blowouts one way or another. You often get a chance to watch zero actually competitive games each Saturday.

I'm not saying the NFL is any paragon here (they're horrible at guessing which games are going to be good enough to place into primetime spots, and Thursday football is generally of garbage quality later in the season) but it seems lightyears ahead of watching semi-pro players from the SEC or Florida beat up on the sisters of the poor most weeks. You're not only getting a poor product, there's a bunch of exploitation to get that poor product. Unless you just want to watch young kids marginally affiliated with your college beat up some chumps.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I used to watch my home state's official college football team (The Ohio State University) fairly often, but now I only care if they're in the championship.

Overall, it should be really obvious that College Football is complete poo poo since there is such a huge loving disparity of talent that you pretty much have to be undefeated to be in consideration for a championship. Actually, that is only partially true. It also takes into account how badly you were able to beat lovely teams.

fade5 posted:

I can definitely understand, I got burned out on watching Criminal Minds; it just got so depressing after a while.

I make fun of my wife all the time because most of the shows she watches are murder shows. Yea, technically they are crime procedurals, or whatever the gently caress. Some are more serious than others (Hawaii Five-O and Castle), but they all start out with people dying, and maybe even more people dying before the end of an episode.

At one point in the late 90's/early 2000's, I wondered if the amount of murders in all murder shows that took place in New York were actually more than the people who were actually murdered in that same town. I'm pretty sure the statistics don't bear that out, though.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 14, 2015

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doctor Butts posted:

I used to watch my home state's official college football team (The Ohio State University) fairly often, but now I only care if they're in the championship.

Overall, it should be really obvious that College Football is complete poo poo since there is such a huge loving disparity of talent that you pretty much have to be undefeated to be in consideration for a championship. Actually, that is only partially true. It also takes into account how badly you were able to beat lovely teams.

And don't forget strength of schedule. Now the committee will gently caress anyone outside the power conferences out of a bowl bid even if they undefeated. Not only do schools like Alabama get a huge recruiting advantage, they get losses forgiven by playing better opponents. At this point it basically turns the whole thing into a popularity contest, where most teams are locked out before the first snap of the season regardless of record.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

rkajdi posted:

And don't forget strength of schedule. Now the committee will gently caress anyone outside the power conferences out of a bowl bid even if they undefeated. Not only do schools like Alabama get a huge recruiting advantage, they get losses forgiven by playing better opponents. At this point it basically turns the whole thing into a popularity contest, where most teams are locked out before the first snap of the season regardless of record.

You mean it wasn't before?????

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

rkajdi posted:

This poo poo is just loving terrible. gently caress the whole thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pol of the day: Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFtNzZH1gDM

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
College athletes are the most infuriating students you can actually try and teach.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Arguably not because you sometimes got teams like Boise State in the big games. That poo poo isn't happening anymore. It will be the same dozen or so programs in the playoffs every year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Is she an out lesbian or was he just assuming?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is she an out lesbian or was he just assuming?

Turns out she is, but that guy might have just been assuming.

Also, she was a child actress on Dobie Gillis.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

That was pretty good.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Arguably not because you sometimes got teams like Boise State in the big games. That poo poo isn't happening anymore. It will be the same dozen or so programs in the playoffs every year.

So, uh, you don't know what you're talking about I see.

In the old rules, if a non-BCS team was ranked 8th or higher, they qualified for a BCS bowl -- and they got shoved into whoever had last pick that year.

Under the new rules, the committee is required to select, for the NY6 (the BCS Equiv) the highest ranked of the p5 schools, so long as they are ranked in the top 25. Last year Boise State played Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl. This year Houston is playing Florida State in the Peach Bowl.

The chances of a non-P5 team making the CFB are probably higher with the committee, to be frank, than one of them making top 2 in the BCS polling era.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Compared to what it is now, not in the slightest. This is the first year for the committee, and you saw them do stuff like put Alabama (who lost to a scrub team early on) ahead of lots of undefeated teams in early voting. And the usual rule that you have to have someone above you lose to move around is also no longer as true. The whole thing is just a big hand jibber for the SEC.

I'd just shrug my shoulders and not care about the whole thing if it wasn't for the massive exploitation of the kids involved in the game. It's becoming more and more obvious that football permanently fucks with your health via CTE. At least the pro players get huge payouts to make up for this. College players just get to watch a bunch of old white men get rich off their labor while they get nothing. And the fact that most of these schools are public while serving as the farm teams for the NFL free of charge just reeks of corporate welfare. I'd be fine if we just went back to intermural or even no sports at all on campus. But I'm also one of those dirty idiots who doesn't bleed for his school and just used games as an excuse to drink.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

rkajdi posted:

Compared to what it is now, not in the slightest. This is the first year for the committee, and you saw them do stuff like put Alabama (who lost to a scrub team early on) ahead of lots of undefeated teams in early voting. And the usual rule that you have to have someone above you lose to move around is also no longer as true. The whole thing is just a big hand jibber for the SEC.

I'd just shrug my shoulders and not care about the whole thing if it wasn't for the massive exploitation of the kids involved in the game. It's becoming more and more obvious that football permanently fucks with your health via CTE. At least the pro players get huge payouts to make up for this. College players just get to watch a bunch of old white men get rich off their labor while they get nothing. And the fact that most of these schools are public while serving as the farm teams for the NFL free of charge just reeks of corporate welfare. I'd be fine if we just went back to intermural or even no sports at all on campus. But I'm also one of those dirty idiots who doesn't bleed for his school and just used games as an excuse to drink.

Once again, it's nice when people just actively don't know what they're talking about, but want to pretend they're smart.

This is the second year of the committee and CFB. There was literally no drama this year over who were in for the top 4, only some qualms about their seeding. Alabama lost to a team that finished 9-3 and second in their conference.

Please, do so really basic research before posting again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Undefeated teams such as ????? and ??????

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If you mean the initial CFP Rankings, they literally mean nothing since the committee starts with a clean slate each week -- which has actually been one of the criticisms of the system.

On other hand, the old system did have pre-season rankings baked in and that inertia is hard to overcome.

But literally no one who watches football and has informed opinions looked at the four teams selected this year and went "waaaaa someone else deserved a chance."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Undefeated teams such as ????? and ??????

UIndy!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

While there are boring cupcake matchups, there are so many teams that there's bound to be at least a couple good matchups every week. No one watches every single cfb game. Maybe every one of your schools games if you're really into it. But as entertainment, there's a good game every week. And because the teams abd the fans are so into it, it's like getting a superbowl every week. I absolutely love college ball.

Even without the parity you fund in the nfl, cfb is entertaining. The size and skill level is totally different. Trick plays work. The loving option works. And you get some ridiculous mismatches. Sometimes it's fun as hell to see a guy whose destined to go in the first round go up against a guy whose going to be working in a car dealership and watch him get trucked for three hours.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Holy crap, there is no way food chat is more boring than this bullshit.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Sometimes it's fun as hell to see a guy whose destined to go in the first round go up against a guy whose going to be working in a car dealership and watch him get trucked for three hours.

At least the honesty makes it worth it. When you put it this way, it seems pretty goddamned American.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
College football apparently has a lot to do with US Politics? Don't they have a whole sub forum for this stuff?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Radbot posted:

Holy crap, there is no way food chat is more boring than this bullshit.

fits my needs posted:

College football apparently has a lot to do with US Politics? Don't they have a whole sub forum for this stuff?

They usually combine this WITH food chat!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Once again, it's nice when people just actively don't know what they're talking about, but want to pretend they're smart.

This is the second year of the committee and CFB. There was literally no drama this year over who were in for the top 4, only some qualms about their seeding. Alabama lost to a team that finished 9-3 and second in their conference.

Please, do so really basic research before posting again.

Alabama was placed above teams that were undefeated as soon as the first rankings came out. It was all that was being talked about on ESPN while I was waiting around for stuff about the NFL games. By the end of the year things might have worked themselves out, but it already sent the message that being in a major conference is more important than having a better record. I saw that and immediately stopped giving a poo poo, since people were obviously willing to forgive schedule for less directly calculatable things.

Say what you want about pro sports, but at least the rules for the playoffs are clear and objective. Voting just ends up in some broken beauty pagent bullshit.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

A Winner is Jew posted:

There's nothing wrong with being gay though.

I'm sorry for not making this clear before.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

fits my needs posted:

Yes there is voting involved in playoff seeding I guess.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MariusLecter posted:

Not sure if people who think horses are also people is far too many or far too few.

Only muslims would support an Arabian horse over a true American (according to some amendment...) :tinfoil:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fade5 posted:

He had to quit working on Criminal Minds because it ate at his soul so much:
http://www.tvguide.com/news/mandy-patinkin-regrets-criminal-minds-1053095/

sucks, but what did he expect when he joined. its a show about serial killers/rapers and the people who catch them. plus it had timm curry in monster make up and some dude who listened to puppets and made his victims into marronets.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Joementum posted:

That's some Los Angeles.mpg right there

• Locked thread