Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do people like for gauge pods on NB's outside sticking them in the vents? I already have my boost gauge in a vent and don't want to sacrifice another for the AFR gauge. I was looking at this one to stick on the steering column, but I'm worried it'll be in the way of important-ish stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2204-Mounting-Cup/dp/B0009RUXPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1450110885&sr=8-6&keywords=gauge+pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tall people aren't happy with other people's approval, a greater chance of winning the presidency and vastly improved chances of overall financial and professional success. They also want to take away our tiny gay cars.

And here I thought tiny gay cars was my harbor, my "safe space" in life. But no, they want to take that away from me too.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Coredump posted:

What is it about the Miata that attracts taller people trying to shoehorn themselves into the car?
They're lots of fun to drive?

I miss mine.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Mine should be sleeping for the winter but northern Virginia was perfect yesterday so out we went. Found a great set of farm roads nearby as well!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I did not expect to be top down on the blue ridge parkway 2 weeks into December. Nearly perfect cruising weather and nice winter views.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If its still that nice when I go to boone for Christmas and we end up having to take the mazda3 rather than the miata I'm gonna be pissed.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

powderific posted:

What do people like for gauge pods on NB's outside sticking them in the vents? I already have my boost gauge in a vent and don't want to sacrifice another for the AFR gauge. I was looking at this one to stick on the steering column, but I'm worried it'll be in the way of important-ish stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2204-Mounting-Cup/dp/B0009RUXPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1450110885&sr=8-6&keywords=gauge+pod

I have a Boost/Vac gauge and an AFR gauge in the top DIN slot, above the HVAC controls. I cut the rear end end off the cubby that was there and riveted on a piece of aluminum to hold the gauges. There's also the A-pillar pods I suppose. My Boost gauge was up there but when I added the AFR I didn't want 2 on the pillar. gently caress sacrificing vents. I thought I had also seen a pod you could attach to the top of the dash, above the vents.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 15, 2015

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

powderific posted:

Buy the AEM Failsafe and live a happy life. I had the exact same issue and refused to have gauge pillar pods, lose both my center vents or add a double din for aftermarket radio+gauges.

Linked my interior because I couldn't find a better picture and it's huge. I have mine configured so the middle numerical readout is AFR and the LEDs surrounding do vac/boost. You can go either way and it has a ton of extra customization which I don't bother using (can trigger ground based on AFR/boost targets, etc).

http://i.imgur.com/iTsqVa1.jpg

destructo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 15, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Coredump posted:

What is it about the Miata that attracts taller people trying to shoehorn themselves into the car?

I can't afford a Boxster.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm comfortable in my NA but would probably die in a rollover (6'1 in shoes, 32" inseam, tall torso).

My impression is that the Boxster isn't as fun on the street at legal speeds (nor the S2000, which I was considering). The Miata really supports the "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" argument).

I briefly considered a cheap and well kept NC I saw on CL this morning for increased safety, but they just aren't as fun. I would consider a PRHT for a winter car, though.

Edit: drat you auto correct

blk fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

blk posted:

I'm comfortable in my NA but would probably die in a rollover (6'1 in shoes, 32" inseam, tall torso).

My impression is that the Boxster isn't as fun on the street at legal speeds (nor the S2000, which I was considering). The Miata really supports the "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" argument).

I briefly considered a cheap and well kept NC I saw on CL this morning for increased safety, but they just aren't as fun. I would consider a PRHT for a winter car, though.

Edit: drat you auto correct

Its hard for me to compare because my mother's Boxster is an auto, but you can still get the tail out if you really try, it just isn't as easy (could also be the tires on my Miata, I haven't had it that long). I like the Boxster's power and size better, but not enough to offset the initial or recurring costs of ownership.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

blk posted:

Shocks and springs go a long way towards fixing that.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Nearly perfect cruising weather and nice winter views.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Do any of you goons have experience with the Flyin' Miata or Kraftwerks superchargers for the NC? My Abarth is in the process of being lemoned and I'm probably gonna rejoin the land of milk, honey and rainbows with a NC2. I'd be aiming for the Flyin' Miata Targa Newfoundland setup they ran in '11

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I wish, from people I've talked to that have said kit, its the most well-refined and reliable of the bolt on options, but calling it bolt-on is being a bit too optimistic, the installation is definitely not trivial.

That being said, cheaper than an LS swap

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
So I'm still trying to find an NA to sit it, no success yet. But it got me thinking, there's a good chance that the Miata just won't work for a big dude like myself. With that in mind, I'm wondering what else I should consider?
If you couldn't have a Miata, what would you have instead? I just want a cheap rwd roadster and it seems like the Miata IS the market :mad:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

There's always the convertible mustangs. Cheapish, rwd, two doors. Not exactly a roadster in size though.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Unfortunately, I don't think roasters are the way to go for you. Any problem you have in the miata is most likely going to have a similar problem in another roadster.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
That's a good point, unfortunately. I guess what's most important is the fun factor. Handling trumps speed, and I'm all about driving a slow car fast.
I like e30's, and prior to the Miata was seriously considering a 318is convertible. They check a lot of boxes for me, but from what I understand it lose out to the Miata in terms of handling and sheer fun (by all accounts they're easier to live with as a daily, but this would be a fun second car).
I'd love a 944, which checks even more boxes but the maintenance/ownership costs are loving terrifying.
Mustangs other than the newest gen (and the old ones of course) do nothing for me. I get the appeal but they're just not for me.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 17, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

destructo posted:

Buy the AEM Failsafe and live a happy life. I had the exact same issue and refused to have gauge pillar pods, lose both my center vents or add a double din for aftermarket radio+gauges.

This looks great but I already have all the poo poo, unfortunately.

Joe Mama posted:

I have a Boost/Vac gauge and an AFR gauge in the top DIN slot, above the HVAC controls. I cut the rear end end off the cubby that was there and riveted on a piece of aluminum to hold the gauges. There's also the A-pillar pods I suppose. My Boost gauge was up there but when I added the AFR I didn't want 2 on the pillar. gently caress sacrificing vents. I thought I had also seen a pod you could attach to the top of the dash, above the vents.

If I replace the stock Bose stereo I think I'm going to do this. After playing around with the gauge a bit I think I can figure out a spot on the steering column where it'll work till then without blocking too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chriskory posted:

Nearly perfect cruising weather and nice winter views.

Excellent miata weather! Too bad it still hasn't snowed here, I'm starting to regret buying new winter tires :(

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

martinlutherbling posted:

So I'm still trying to find an NA to sit it, no success yet. But it got me thinking, there's a good chance that the Miata just won't work for a big dude like myself. With that in mind, I'm wondering what else I should consider?
If you couldn't have a Miata, what would you have instead? I just want a cheap rwd roadster and it seems like the Miata IS the market :mad:

I've seen people cut out and lower the floor pan.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
MIATA MEGAMANTHREAD - I'm going to fit in this goddamn car

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AncientTV posted:

MIATA MEGAMANTHREAD - I'm going to fit in this goddamn car

Seconded

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miata megamanthread - mobn fit in a Miata, why can't you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe just accept the fact the car literally isn't a fit for you and move on, some of the poo poo people are doing to fit in them is loving retarded.

[e] I imagine Z4's have more room right? Just get a drat Z4 and if you still can't fit maybe try a convertible Nissan Murano.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 17, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Maybe just accept the fact the car literally isn't a fit for you and move on, some of the poo poo people are doing to fit in them is loving retarded.

:10bux: says that you can't go on miata.net and find one example of someone doing something dumb to fit into an NA.

I dare you, dude. It can't be done!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You'd have to offer up a lot more money for me to go sifting through that dumpster fire.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

leica posted:

[e] I imagine Z4's have more room right? Just get a drat Z4 and if you still can't fit maybe try a convertible Nissan Murano.

I went through this when I was car searching and there's no reason to own a Z3/4 aside from "want a BMW" when Miata and S2000s exist

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

leica posted:

Like when I said "maybe this car literally isn't a fit for me, what else should I look at"?
I still haven't sat in an NA, but if I do ant it doesn't fit I'm not gonna go welding in a new floor pan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Unless you want a roadster and can't fit in a Miata/S2K which is what I was talking about. Out of the three I would imagine the Z4 had the most legroom but I could be wrong. Also Z4 coupes are the loving poo poo and I wish I could afford one :smith:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Maybe a 350/370Z convertible? How are MR2s on space?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

GOD IS BED posted:

Maybe a 350/370Z convertible? How are MR2s on space?

I'm 5'10" and my AW11 is surprisingly roomy. I'm sure up to 6'3"-6'4" would be fine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AncientTV posted:

I'm 5'10" and my AW11 is surprisingly roomy. I'm sure up to 6'3"-6'4" would be fine.

I'm 6'1 and comfy in AW11s

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ToolShack is a tall guy and drives a MR2 Spyder, said he fit better in it and liked it better overall that his Miata which I bought from him.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

leica posted:

Unless you want a roadster and can't fit in a Miata/S2K which is what I was talking about. Out of the three I would imagine the Z4 had the most legroom but I could be wrong. Also Z4 coupes are the loving poo poo and I wish I could afford one :smith:

Z4's are awesome cars and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I wasn't a poor. My buddy had a clownshoe and it was the kitty's titties.
MR2's may be a decent option. Don't they have a bit of a reputation as suicide machines though?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Only if you want it to be :getin:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Since you've never sat in an NA just find a local one for sale on craigslist and go sit in it. If you do actually fit, it'll save you a bunch of overthinking other options.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

martinlutherbling posted:

Z4's are awesome cars and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I wasn't a poor. My buddy had a clownshoe and it was the kitty's titties.
MR2's may be a decent option. Don't they have a bit of a reputation as suicide machines though?

lol not any worse than a Miata. The MR2 Spyder sounds like your best bet if you can't afford a Z4, if you can't fit in that tho you're pretty much SOL as far as roadsters go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

leica posted:

ToolShack is a tall guy and drives a MR2 Spyder, said he fit better in it and liked it better overall that his Miata which I bought from him.
I'm not a tall person and fit in a Miata just fine, but can confirm that the MR2 Spyder has more space. The windshield is a bit more upright so you get more headroom, and the center console is tiny so there's a lot more room width wise as well.