Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So what do Booster probes do exactly? I have one but I'm not sure how to use them. Do they keep a chain going for the purpose of the bonus % of linked probes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I have a quest to make 70k in one tick and I'm at like 63k with every node discovered and it's loving killing me. I need more research/booster/doubler probes or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Assassin Springtails - Are they really found in North Janpath Plain?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
personal note: bug antennae do not make good necklaces

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Looper posted:

personal note: bug antennae do not make good necklaces

Pretty sure those things wrecked his Skell in the first place. I forgot about it because the time difference between picking it up and actually finishing the quest was maybe 20-30 hours.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
does anyone know how to grab the internment key in Prone Sweet Prone without doing a suicide run? i found the conveniently level 19 guy in the fortress but those dang mortar cannon robots have an absurd aggro range whether i'm in a skell or on foot. do i just need to get better at sneaking?

Dastardly posted:

Pretty sure those things wrecked his Skell in the first place. I forgot about it because the time difference between picking it up and actually finishing the quest was maybe 20-30 hours.

on one hand i feel kinda bad for dana but on the other i don't feel like stalking should be rewarded, so this outcome is okay

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
do i have to have a skell+flight unit to find hemp wallets or what? i cant find one anywheres

ultimatequix
Dec 9, 2007

Looper posted:

does anyone know how to grab the internment key in Prone Sweet Prone without doing a suicide run? i found the conveniently level 19 guy in the fortress but those dang mortar cannon robots have an absurd aggro range whether i'm in a skell or on foot. do i just need to get better at sneaking?

Switch to Elma and give her Blood Sacrifice and Shadowrunner arts. Use Blood Sac to gain TP, then use Shadowrunner and cancel combat. It will make you invis so you can run past enemies. Also if you let it wind up to the second cooldown, it lasts twice as long.

This works for just about anything you would ever need to sneak past, either because it's too difficult or you cant be bothered to fight.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Levantine posted:

So what do Booster probes do exactly? I have one but I'm not sure how to use them. Do they keep a chain going for the purpose of the bonus % of linked probes?

Booster probes increase the effect of any adjacent probes by a percentage, I think 10% for the rank 1s?
Duplicator probes copy (ie: double) the effect of any adjacent probes.

Boosters increase the effect of duplicators, so the best way to use them seems to be to plant a duplicator at a spot where four lines meet, then hook it up to a booster and three other probes (research, storage, mining, whatever) for huge gains.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ultimatequix posted:

Switch to Elma and give her Blood Sacrifice and Shadowrunner arts. Use Blood Sac to gain TP, then use Shadowrunner and cancel combat. It will make you invis so you can run past enemies. Also if you let it wind up to the second cooldown, it lasts twice as long.

This works for just about anything you would ever need to sneak past, either because it's too difficult or you cant be bothered to fight.

:( I feel like the ol' shadowrunner trick is cheating in this case since you actually have to fight. I got caught by a cannon close to the target while fighting but managed to kill him and grab the key before getting wiped myself. Oh well

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
Are there weaker Filiavents somewhere else? the ones in the phosphor lake are a pain in the rear end to take down, I'm lucky I stacked some evasion and kept my evade buffs up or I would have been smashed by gravity orbs real quick.

My ground crew couldn't do poo poo since the lake itself ended their puny attempt to punch it in it's slug feet.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Zombie Defiler posted:

Are there weaker Filiavents somewhere else? the ones in the phosphor lake are a pain in the rear end to take down, I'm lucky I stacked some evasion and kept my evade buffs up or I would have been smashed by gravity orbs real quick.

My ground crew couldn't do poo poo since the lake itself ended their puny attempt to punch it in it's slug feet.

I don't think I've seen any that are weaker, but there is one that shows up at night in the Ensanguined Font to the southeast of FN 221 in Noctilum if you want a better environment to fight in.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

PRADA SLUT posted:

How is everyone so broke? I have two pimped out 30 skells, full equipment on everyone, and 7 mil in the bank. I just finished chapter 8.

I've wrecked my Skell doing stupid poo poo too many times.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The QTEs in this game make me feel so old but I think I am finally getting the hang of skell ejections since they are nice enough to run it at the molasses setting.

The first time you use a Phoenix in a middle of a base with full thermal boost armor and a bunch of humanoid and mechanoid dam+ augments is a religious experience.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Alard posted:

I don't think I've seen any that are weaker, but there is one that shows up at night in the Ensanguined Font to the southeast of FN 221 in Noctilum if you want a better environment to fight in.

Thanks, I probably just need to make fish slayer augments, so its off to phoenix roast some duogills in the headwater cave I guess.

Oh I found a new trick, if you want to refresh all the enemies in an area and you have a skell, just get out of the skell right there, push start, choose party, and return to skell. Bam. Everything is back, enemies and blue crystals.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
How do you put another person in the top spot to play as them?

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Med School posted:

How do you put another person in the top spot to play as them?

Press start, Party, Active Members, press A and put the person you want to play on top, then confirm change.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Oh, since division rewards just popped I remembered that I have a trick for that to share too.
(They always seem to pop at 7 pm est.)
You can just switch yourself to whatever the top division is for a few thousand creds to get the best division rewards of your choice.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Once you get skells, are you expected to spend the rest of the game using them frequently, or just get in when you need one for something tough? I find it harder to see where you are going in densely packed areas, and they just make maneuvering more clunky in general. I just got the first skell, and immediately stepped on a bunch of non-agro bugs that were about 15 levels above me and lost it. I probably could have killed 1, but I did not realize I was aggroing them all until I had a herd on me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

Once you get skells, are you expected to spend the rest of the game using them frequently, or just get in when you need one for something tough? I find it harder to see where you are going in densely packed areas, and they just make maneuvering more clunky in general. I just got the first skell, and immediately stepped on a bunch of non-agro bugs that were about 15 levels above me and lost it. I probably could have killed 1, but I did not realize I was aggroing them all until I had a herd on me.

You can do whatever feels right. There are fights that need Skells but if you don't like them you can save them for the places where you absolutely have to have them to get to.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

Eh, once you can fly you pretty much never step on things unless its on purpose. While you're still a groundwalker (:argh: dirty land standers) expect to run over a bunch of garbage little shits who will never catch you when you turn into a motorcycle anyway.

Once you get used to the skell's size / hitbox for stepping on poo poo you can nimbly walk around lil' buggers in the tightest of caves.

Some fights are pretty much yeah you should be using a Skell for this (huge fuckoff critters that could crush you like an ant but now you're the size of a mighty toddler!) but eventually you'll reach a point where you can take those beasties while on foot.
Skells are an invaluable and customizable tool for farming up monsters though, they have a lot of ridiculously big guns that can fry huge rooms in one go.

Suaimhneas posted:

What's needed to make these? Whatever the materials are I've never had them, since the augments are still greyed out in the list.

Golden Jewel x5 , Giant Jade Pearl x5 , Parhelion Platinum x1 (mined item).

Zombie Defiler fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 15, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Calaveron posted:

Apparently it's stupidly easy to make exp up augments, and they stack.

What's needed to make these? Whatever the materials are I've never had them, since the augments are still greyed out in the list.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there a way to check what the augments on equipment do?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm just now getting to the point where I can start outfitting my whole squad with skells. Do any of the frames come with healing abilities or is that for ground squads only?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

go to the arms manufacturer terminal, select upgrade battle traits, and go to whatever equipment you want to check.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm just now getting to the point where I can start outfitting my whole squad with skells. Do any of the frames come with healing abilities or is that for ground squads only?

nope, pretty sure you need to rely on soul voices for skells.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

visit the R&D shop in armory alley, pick "upgrade battle traits"

Suspicious Cook posted:

Soul heals work on Skells too, and there are shields that restore HP of limbs.

Other than that there is a/are overdrive(s?) that restore HP (each frame's overdrive is a little different) but I think that only Lailah has the HP restore overdrive?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
There's no way to beef up the Ramjet rifle is there?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Suspicious Cook posted:

There's a back weapon that heals all HP.

Its not worth it

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I finished chapter 8 with no problem because I'm hilariously overleveled for it, and I guess that's where all the cutscene budget went, huh? And I don't remember who Marcus is, so that kinda fell flat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Suaimhneas posted:

Golden Jewel, dropped by the honking birds in Primordia if you bust their belly open, shiny mortifol weed, and Auroritr which seems to be a common resource item as I have 59

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I almost don't want to hit 50 because of how attached I've gotten to my level 30 franken-skells.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I spared a bunch of piglets on a mission thirty hours ago and now I've found out they grew up and killed a bunch of people.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

TurnipFritter posted:

I spared a bunch of piglets on a mission thirty hours ago and now I've found out they grew up and killed a bunch of people.

Goddamn it, I spared them too... not looking forward to that

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just got a Skell license and I'm not particularly interested in managing a dozen weapons across four different Skells as well as learning an entirely new art palette. How necessary are Skells in this game? It just feels like I'm starting over now and everything I've been building up is wasted if I'm expected to use Skells all the time now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

g0lbez posted:

I just got a Skell license and I'm not particularly interested in managing a dozen weapons across four different Skells as well as learning an entirely new art palette. How necessary are Skells in this game? It just feels like I'm starting over now and everything I've been building up is wasted if I'm expected to use Skells all the time now.

Skells are absolutely necessary for some bosses and you shouldn't worry about their customization besides what weapons give bigger numbers and if all of your weapon slots are equipped or not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Besides there's nothing cooler than kiting out your massive robot with ginormous weapons, turning it into an engine of destruction.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TurnipFritter posted:

Just had this happen. This game has some pretty big gently caress you's and it's kinda funny when they show up.

Also I just got around to meeting the Murderess. How do I murder the Murderess forever

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pain of Mind posted:

You can't target parts on a lot of monsters in skells

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
This game has a lot of douchey shitbag characters that I end up liking a lot, actuaiily. Pretty much half of the non-story characters you can get to join you via affinity missions. Enough for several different parties!

It's probably also the game with the largest amount of catastrophic flaws and shortcomings that somehow manages to be totally fun and completely awesome despite how awful some of them are. All I can say is, Bravo Monolith for making a game magical enough to have me ignoring things that would be fatal deal breakers in other games.

About 55 hrs in on ch 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The environment design is something really special and it even works across the varying levels of mobility from foot to ground skell to flying skell and there is all sorts of satisfying feedback to reward and encourage the act of exploring.

And then you disappear into a menu trying to untangle gear, arts, and skills for 20 minutes at a time or get an information gathering mission with an eavesdropping point that seemingly randomly spawns like a rare drop or go into a story mission that seems to work completely different from anything you thought you understood about the combat and you wonder what you are doing with your free time.

• Locked thread