Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
That's part of the problem with IDP is that you're subjected to the whims of the official scorer. It's almost impossible that the Browns ran the ball 41 times and Bowman only had 3 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Need 23 in full PPR from Lamar Miller tonight to stay alive.

:birddrugs:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
So the team with the 2nd seed locked down tanked this week (playoffs start week 15) to ensure his opponent would make the playoffs instead of a stronger team. He may have lost anyway (depends on the results of MNF), but assuming he would have won had he started a full team, the tanking will cause his opponent (Team A) to make the playoffs over another team (Team B), and seeding will also be affected (Team C drops from 3rd to 4th seed). Team B is obviously upset that she will miss the playoffs, and the 1st seed is upset that he will now have to face Team C instead of Team B in the 1st round of the playoffs.

This is a private Yahoo league with no explicitly defined rules. Tanking is against Yahoo's "fair play & sportsmanship rules", but Yahoo also says these rules only apply to public leagues. Since we (I'm a co-commish) didn't explicitly define what is against the rules and what is fair game, should we let it go and clearly define the rules next year, or should we fall back on Yahoo's default rules and retroactively set the guys lineup. One issue with the later option is I don't know who he had in his lineup before he benched his players (he benched his late game players during the early games). This isn't a super competitive, cutthroat league, but there is some money on the line ($20 buy-in). So far, no one has asked for any action to be taken, but the tactic was described as "cheap rear end bullshit" by one member.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

supersteve posted:

I feel sorry for anybody that ever needs anything from Lamar Miller :(. I'm in the same boat next weekend.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I had the option last year to sit my kicker on MNF, giving my opponent the win and playoff berth, preventing a team that got really hot at the end from the last spot. I ended up playing my kicker, beating my opponent, and then losing to the hot team in the championship game. Is this integrity or a losers mentality? You decide.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
leaving a spot open is kind of rear end, but playing all your bench can be blamed on "matchups". Shoulda' have found a way for the hot player to get knocked.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I dropped Lacy and he was picked up and started by the guy I'm going to play next week, barring Lamar Miller scoring 18+ points tonight.

Don't really care, there was no way I was starting Lacy this week and I still wouldn't start him over Ivory/Murray/Robinson/Johnson next week.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I am strongly in favor a rule saying that any and every move has to have a strategic purpose behind it to improve your chances of winning. I talked about a team in my league who dropped his entire roster for IR players before, and the commissioner added them all back but didn't put them back in the starting slots, giving all his opponents a free win. He claimed the real danger was people picking up all his good players, and said if a player wanted to tank and lose intentionally that's his right, despite this being explicitly against the rules.

The way things are as of now have both that guy and the people benefitting from this tanking, including the commissioner, missing the playoffs. I don't even care if I lose in the first round, as long as both of them never see any money. Doing that poo poo doesn't belong in any fantasy league no matter how lax or serious it is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splinter posted:

So the team with the 2nd seed locked down tanked this week (playoffs start week 15) to ensure his opponent would make the playoffs instead of a stronger team. He may have lost anyway (depends on the results of MNF), but assuming he would have won had he started a full team, the tanking will cause his opponent (Team A) to make the playoffs over another team (Team B), and seeding will also be affected (Team C drops from 3rd to 4th seed). Team B is obviously upset that she will miss the playoffs, and the 1st seed is upset that he will now have to face Team C instead of Team B in the 1st round of the playoffs.

This is a private Yahoo league with no explicitly defined rules. Tanking is against Yahoo's "fair play & sportsmanship rules", but Yahoo also says these rules only apply to public leagues. Since we (I'm a co-commish) didn't explicitly define what is against the rules and what is fair game, should we let it go and clearly define the rules next year, or should we fall back on Yahoo's default rules and retroactively set the guys lineup. One issue with the later option is I don't know who he had in his lineup before he benched his players (he benched his late game players during the early games). This isn't a super competitive, cutthroat league, but there is some money on the line ($20 buy-in). So far, no one has asked for any action to be taken, but the tactic was described as "cheap rear end bullshit" by one member.

I think a reasonable person could consider matchup-fishing via tanking a legit tactic, if it's not against your league's rules. I'd be in favor of just setting a clear and explicit rule for your league for next year.

And that rule should be something like:

"Every owner must attempt to win every match. Deliberately losing a match ("tanking") is disallowed and an owner who has clearly deliberately lost a match will have their lineup retroactively set by a commissioner, using FantasyPro player rankings prior to each player's game that week. However, owners have extremely broad discretion in choosing whom to start each week, so action can only be taken when the evidence of tanking is overwhelming."

You can back up this policy with league and payout structures that give incentives to win matches irrespective of playoff brackets. For example, in money leagues you could give prizes for most Points For - perhaps every week, or perhaps during four-week periods, or perhaps just a Points For tournament for all the teams that don't make the playoffs each year. You can also have a consolation tournament that has a prize for the winner.

And of course, a keeper or dynasty league can have multi-year incentives to encourage owners to stay engaged and trying to win every match.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Leperflesh posted:

I think a reasonable person could consider matchup-fishing via tanking a legit tactic, if it's not against your league's rules. I'd be in favor of just setting a clear and explicit rule for your league for next year.

And that rule should be something like:

"Every owner must attempt to win every match. Deliberately losing a match ("tanking") is disallowed and an owner who has clearly deliberately lost a match will have their lineup retroactively set by a commissioner, using FantasyPro player rankings prior to each player's game that week. However, owners have extremely broad discretion in choosing whom to start each week, so action can only be taken when the evidence of tanking is overwhelming."

You can back up this policy with league and payout structures that give incentives to win matches irrespective of playoff brackets. For example, in money leagues you could give prizes for most Points For - perhaps every week, or perhaps during four-week periods, or perhaps just a Points For tournament for all the teams that don't make the playoffs each year. You can also have a consolation tournament that has a prize for the winner.

And of course, a keeper or dynasty league can have multi-year incentives to encourage owners to stay engaged and trying to win every match.

I tried arguing this approach to my commissioner who dismissed it saying I was taking it too seriously and he just doesn't have time to set the lineup for the tanker. I'd rather have an autodrafting robot who starts his entire lineup based on projected points every week than a player like this. If you don't like fantasy football and see no value in trying to win even if you're out of the playoffs, go play something else.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

I tried arguing this approach to my commissioner who dismissed it saying I was taking it too seriously and he just doesn't have time to set the lineup for the tanker. I'd rather have an autodrafting robot who starts his entire lineup based on projected points every week than a player like this. If you don't like fantasy football and see no value in trying to win even if you're out of the playoffs, go play something else.

Yeah there probably isn't much you can do about this year, but as a co-commish I'd definitely kick that player to the curb for next year and institute some actual rules.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
So I lost Andy Dalton and Thomas Rawls for pretty much rest of fantasy season, but i somehow still won my playoff matchup even though Dalton, Rawls, Allen Robinson, ASJ, and Matt Prater scoring 17 points combined. Thank you Tyler Lockett and Michael Floyd, who would've thought you 2 would be my saving grace a few weeks ago.

I was able to pick up Hightower last week and he'll be plugged in for Rawls, but replacing Dalton will be tougher. Also have a waiver in for Denard Robinson dropping Rawls.

These are my options 6 pt passing TD

Hoyer and Luck are at the top of the projected by they probably aren't even close to playing this week. No one else has a good matchup.

Help please

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

Splinter posted:

It sounds like it was done to get an easier playoff matchup? If so, its kind of dirty but there's no rule against it and its done with the intent of maximizing that team's chances of winning a championship. I'd let it go and make a rule against it if it bothers you so much.

If it was done to get his buddy into the playoffs its collusion and you kick him immediately, and his buddy too if he was in on it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, this is how I'm leaning since it's not something that is obviously a no-no like collusion.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

VietCampo posted:

These are my options 6 pt passing TD

That is an absolutely terrible list. I guess I'd use Cousins since the Skins are so much better at home and Buffalo has some injuries on D. And obviously watch to see if anyone in your league drops a usable QB this week.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coronaball posted:

That's part of the problem with IDP is that you're subjected to the whims of the official scorer. It's almost impossible that the Browns ran the ball 41 times and Bowman only had 3 points.

For added fun, play in a league with very minimal IDP but big-play scoring for it. Sacks, INTs, forced fumbles, etc. Things that often correlate well with players getting big contracts anyway, and cannot be ignored by the official scorer.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

pmchem posted:

For added fun, play in a league with very minimal IDP but big-play scoring for it. Sacks, INTs, forced fumbles, etc. Things that often correlate well with players getting big contracts anyway, and cannot be ignored by the official scorer.

Big play scoring is the only right way for doing IDP. Tackles are for bitches. Knock that stuff down to 0.5 points. Crank up sacks & INTs to 5 points.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is our (dynasty) league's IDP scoring:
Defensive scoring:
Solo Tackles - 1.5 points
Assisted Tackles – .75 points
Sacks – 4 points
Tackles for a Loss – 2 or 3 points (2 if includes sacks, 3 if not)
Interceptions – 6 points
Passes Defensed – 3 points
Forced Fumbles – 4 points
Fumble Recoveries – 3 points
Safeties – 6 points
Blocked Kicks – 6 points
Touchdowns – 6 points

We need to tweak it this offseason. What we're finding is that it's too swingy - we routinely have teams with two guys scoring over 20 points each on one week, and then another week where the four IDP slots combine for a lot less than 20 total. It's probably due to some stacking effects, like sacks also being tackles or something. I need to dig deep into the scoring and figure it out.

Khalil Mack just put up 35.75 points this week, for example, making him this week's scoring leader (so far), just slightly ahead of Russell Wilson.

That said, it's great having IDP guys genuinely be as important as your offensive starters. Like, having the #1 safety is every bit as advantageous as having the #1 RB or the #1 WR.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 15, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pmchem posted:

I love it, but it burned my best team (11-2) in the first round this week. Tackles 1.25, assisted tackles 0.75, tackles for loss an additional 1 point, 5 per sack, 6 per int. Despite starting Gurley, Green, and Hurns in 1 PPR (and a decent rest of my offense and IDPs), I got absolutely crushed at DL, despite starting Watt and Dunlap. Who the gently caress is Kawann Short??

Being the 2nd highest scorer in week 1 of the playoffs :)
Going up against the top score in week 1 of the playoffs :(

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I love it, but it burned my best team (11-2) in the first round this week. Tackles 1.25, assisted tackles 0.75, tackles for loss an additional 1 point, 5 per sack, 6 per int. Despite starting Gurley, Green, and Hurns in 1 PPR (and a decent rest of my offense and IDPs), I got absolutely crushed at DL, despite starting Watt and Dunlap. Who the gently caress is Kawann Short??

Being the 2nd highest scorer in week 1 of the playoffs :)
Going up against the top score in week 1 of the playoffs :(

If you don't know who one of the best DLinemen is on the only undefeated team and best or second-best defense in the NFL, you deserve to lose a matchup in a league that has heavy IDP scoring, heh.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

pmchem posted:

If you don't know who one of the best DLinemen is on the only undefeated team and best or second-best defense in the NFL, you deserve to lose a matchup in a league that has heavy IDP scoring, heh.

I have Watt and Dunlap, I haven't looked at defensive linemen in weeks :smug:

I actually have gotten pretty complacent on my IDPs, after picking up Jacquies Smith, Stephon Tuitt, Malcolm Smith, Kwon Alexander, Chris Conte, and Malcolm Jenkins across various leagues in the first half of the year!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

supersteve posted:

Lookin good!

Goddamnit, I need 6 goddamn points from Parker

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Boosh! posted:

Lookin good!

Goddamnit, I need 6 goddamn points from Parker

Unbelievable start!! 5 more points should be doable but you never know with these Dolphins.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Who is better for the rest of the playoffs, Ben Watson v DET & JAX or Zach MIller v CLE & STL

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Kouerson posted:

Who is better for the rest of the playoffs, Ben Watson v DET & JAX or Zach MIller v CLE & STL

Saints are at home for both. Im all in on them for ROP

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

I need Davante Parker and Jarvis Landry to combine for 11 points which I know is probably going to happen but it's so hard to be comfortable relying on the Dolphins to not gently caress up. :ohdear:

Oh cool they got 11.5 but there was a stat correction after I posted that so I actually needed 13, at least i played the only combination of players on my team that would have lost. :eng99:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Aaaaand that wraps up my fantasy season for 2015. It's been fun guys :tipshat:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Still in the playoffs 6/6 leagues, won $40 in the Fantasy Pros correspondent freeroll, and no injuries.

Good week fellas.

Good week.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

Sheeple posted:

I need 10.5 from Reshad Jones to stay alive. Going to be a nail biter.

Losing Yeldon really sucked.

89 posted:

SEASON SAVED!!! IDP RULES!!

12 points barring stat corrections.

I loving love you Jones.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Well I lost in the first round 135-197 which is the second highest total in our league history. Part of me is glad fantasy is over so I can actually enjoy Sundays now?

Thanks for the advice on my dumb questions this year, thread.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Who should I drop for Denard (not gonna get him but will get some FA)
Alex Smith, Eli or Luck. Luck, right?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I really like Jeremy Hill next week. Dalton is out, Eifert potentially out as well, against the worst fantasy run D in football. I could see the Bengals going back to their 2014 offense and trying to pound the ball.

I can't decide if I like him better than Charcandrick though.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Needed 20 points from Lamar Mille to win, got 21. Here's to monday night miracles.

Losing Rawls hurts a lot , let's see what I can scrap together next week.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

I dropped Lacy and he was picked up and started by the guy I'm going to play next week, barring Lamar Miller scoring 18+ points tonight.

Don't really care, there was no way I was starting Lacy this week and I still wouldn't start him over Ivory/Murray/Robinson/Johnson next week.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Coming into this week to make the playoffs I needed
1.-a win
2.-the team ahead of me to lose
3.-60 more pts than the team ahead of me
and somehow after droppin 178 pts on fools this week and the team ahead of me losing by 3 points it all happened and I'm all like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bolden or White good targets this week? Which one?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Someone in one of my leagues had his OBJ vs his opponents Lamar Miller. He lost by .06 because OBJ got 5 yards instead of 6 on that last catch :psyduck:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That sounds like a stat correction waiting to happen unless its some PPR poo poo or whatever.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Stat correction might be coming but I think I just won a playoff spot.

Tied at 8-6 for the fourth playoff seed. Our final season point totals were 1340 to 1331.

And the guy with 1331 mocked me at our draft for being a newbie and making mistakes at our draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What do I even do with my running backs this week?

Murray v GB
West @ Bal
Ware @ Bal
Hill @ SF
Abdullah @ NO

And maybe Robinson, too, but probably not. It's a whole bunch of guys who could go off for 7 points each. If Ware is banged up I'll play West, and I'd like to be able to count on Murray but I just can't.

• Locked thread