Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Aghama posted:

That sounds like a drag, just move your enmity list to near the center of the screen and use that to select your targets, ignoring the indicators on the party list entirely.
You should be reacting before you lose threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I kindof agree with ilifinicus and belzac here. If you're appropriately geared while leveling, which there is zero excuse not to be, holding threat is not hard at all on any of the tanks at any level if you know what you're doing. If you are struggling to hold hate ever when you have appropriately leveled gear, you are doing something wrong. Sometimes this just takes playing the role a bunch, but once you do it enough you get a fell for what works and what doesn't.

Edit: I'm not sure why it seems like people here are griping about needing to tab target enemy packs while tanking. That's just part of the game. You have to be aware of how everyone is doing. That's your job as a tank.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 15, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's almost as if they designed abilities in such a way that tanks will always be able to hold threat if they're doing what they're supposed to be doing and have good enough gear (within a very wide margin of error), at all levels.

But no, I'd prefer to believe that they intentionally made a four level gap where dps will be able to do more threat than the tanks.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Moldy Taxes posted:

Thanks for all the hot tips, folks. We haven't run in a few weeks due to combination Thanksgiving holiday + final exams, but I'll try to report back with results when we run this weekend.

I tried going Paladin for a few rounds. It didn't work out so well, mostly because I'd explode from a Heavenly Heel, so I just switched back to Warrior. It turned out that a lot of ya'll were right about my DPS not switching to the attack-buffed enemy during twin knights being the reason it was taking too long, so after I hammered that home and we cleaned up some other minor mistakes we were able to progress and see more phases. We still haven't cleared, but this was the only phase I was really worried about so once the Christmas break is over I think we can clean up.

Thanks again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
How in the world were you exploding on heel as a paladin?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Moldy Taxes posted:

I tried going Paladin for a few rounds. It didn't work out so well, mostly because I'd explode from a Heavenly Heel, so I just switched back to Warrior. It turned out that a lot of ya'll were right about my DPS not switching to the attack-buffed enemy during twin knights being the reason it was taking too long, so after I hammered that home and we cleaned up some other minor mistakes we were able to progress and see more phases. We still haven't cleared, but this was the only phase I was really worried about so once the Christmas break is over I think we can clean up.

Thanks again.

Heavenly Heel is the easiest tankbuster to Sheltron in the entire game, and Sheltron is an additional Vengeance worth of damage reduction over whatever you're popping normally.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

How in the world were you exploding on heel as a paladin?

:shrug:
The other Warrior had main tanked before my healers suggested that we try a PLD main tank, and my PLD just barely makes the cut at 190 compared to both of our 203+ warriors, so I guess it was just gear + not feeling comfortable in the main tank role.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Moldy Taxes posted:

The other Warrior had main tanked before my healers suggested that we try a PLD main tank, and my PLD just barely makes the cut at 190 compared to both of our 203+ warriors, so I guess it was just gear + not feeling comfortable in the main tank role.

It's not just gear. Sheltron + Oath is as large (or larger!) a cooldown than Warrior or Dark Knight use, outside of Living Dead for the very last heel. You should give it another shot, because even in Sword Oath, Paladin is incredibly survivable (and does pretty good damage) compared to any other fight in Heavensward.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Moldy Taxes posted:

I've tanked Thordan in its entirety in Sword at ilvl 195. it isnt your gear

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Niton posted:

It's not just gear. Sheltron + Oath is as large (or larger!) a cooldown than Warrior or Dark Knight use, outside of Living Dead for the very last heel. You should give it another shot, because even in Sword Oath, Paladin is incredibly survivable (and does pretty good damage) compared to any other fight in Heavensward.
Well in the process of trying it out and switching back we figured out survivability wasn't an issue so much as people dying really early and the healers wasting too much MP in the first phase, so while it's not something I'd not want to try again, there's no pressing reason to do so anymore.

Doublestep posted:

I've tanked Thordan in its entirety in Sword at ilvl 195. it isnt your gear
So it's the latter then. I'm fine with that since my other tank prefers main tanking anyway.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost as if they designed abilities in such a way that tanks will always be able to hold threat if they're doing what they're supposed to be doing and have good enough gear (within a very wide margin of error), at all levels.

But no, I'd prefer to believe that they intentionally made a four level gap where dps will be able to do more threat than the tanks.

Why are you such an rear end in a top hat lately? You used to be cool.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
Really glad the past couple pages have hopefully reinforced that Holyshoot is, in fact, still dumb.

edit: people posting with mildly abrasive tone on the SomethingAwful forums what is this fister you used to be cool man

edit2: emphasis on mildly

Oneavi fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 15, 2015

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Whizbang posted:

Why are you such an rear end in a top hat lately? You used to be cool.

stating the obvious and correct thing = being an rear end in a top hat. change the thread danger level to "idiots in the duty finder" orange

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zereth posted:

You should be reacting before you lose threat.

I'm only at level 40 but I've run into situations where even with trying to maintain threat DPS do stupid poo poo like start attacking random enemies not following spots and then the tables turn so fast that it can be frustrating to maintain threat. Even more so when the DPS runs around like a chicken with its head cut off not letting me be able to provoke/rage of halone their stupid mistake back to me. I don't have uber gear and just stick to shops but seem to be getting by mostly. It's the duties I've completely forgotten from not having touched this game since 2.0 came out.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

flyboi posted:

I'm only at level 40 but I've run into situations where even with trying to maintain threat DPS do stupid poo poo like start attacking random enemies not following spots and then the tables turn so fast that it can be frustrating to maintain threat. Even more so when the DPS runs around like a chicken with its head cut off not letting me be able to provoke/rage of halone their stupid mistake back to me. I don't have uber gear and just stick to shops but seem to be getting by mostly. It's the duties I've completely forgotten from not having touched this game since 2.0 came out.
My point was the enemy list doesn't differentiate between "You could literally do nothing for the rest of the fight and not lose threat" and "you have threat by the smallest margin possible".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I'm going to name my new character Mildly Abrasive.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

I kindof agree with ilifinicus and belzac here. If you're appropriately geared while leveling, which there is zero excuse not to be, holding threat is not hard at all on any of the tanks at any level if you know what you're doing. If you are struggling to hold hate ever when you have appropriately leveled gear, you are doing something wrong. Sometimes this just takes playing the role a bunch, but once you do it enough you get a fell for what works and what doesn't.

a level 15 gladiator in level 15 nq gear in Sastasha will not hold aggro on trash against a synced BLM using fire2 unless they're doing literally nothing but flash and the BLM waits like 3 gcds before doing anything.

I tried doing the ice mage thing and still stole aggro if I started casting immediately after the pull, but that didn't matter because I was standing next to the tank for blizzard2 spam and they'd only hit me once or twice before they died (assuming the other dps didn't pull aggro first)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the only, 100% guaranteed way to not lose aggro in Sastasha is to spam Flash/Overpower. You just don't have other tools to deal with it.

Good thing it doesn't matter at all because it's baby's first dungeon and any class can effectively tank.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even that doesn't work against some classes where you need single target threat more. WAR has an awkward period in the late 20's before they get Butchers Block where other classes get their full damage combo and Overpower is no longer the 'I win threat' button, you will run yourself out of TP and then DPS will pull aggro off of you because you only have fumes to work with. Then either everything dies because it's trash and woop de doo or the DPS dies because they facepulled the boss and decided to not wait for the tank to get enmity off them.
PLD's get Halone quicker and that solves their issues until they start needing Shield Oath.

At that level it is a gear problem. It is both not hard to keep gear up to date (because you should have leftover gear sitting around/bunch of gil for vendor/crafted stuff) nor very worthwhile (because a few runs and you'll be out of that dungeon and looking to get stuff for the next one.)
As someone who leveled and did dungeons for both gear and XP on all three tank classes, the only time I had trouble was with synced down other party members and even the tiny differences in our gear added on top of their ability rotations being ahead of mine made some runs tricky.

Every time I knew exactly why I lost enmity even if that was 'freakin' NIN/BRD/DRGs'

Yeah most taking is a bit harder than it should be in the garbage gear you have on the first time you go through vs synced down DPS but:

A) If you're new just don't loving sweat it, if the DPS are doing enough damage to rip threat they can take the hits

B) Even so if you know what the gently caress you're doing and use your toolkit properly, you can hold threat off even the best dps even in reasonably lovely equipment and even as a PLD.

The only thing that really sucks about holding threat in this game is that the UI for it is goddamned awful and there's no option for threat plates and the mini list tells you jack poo poo about your threat lead, but if you're doing your job you'll have an overwhelming threat lead anyway.

I do think it's kind of hosed up that some of the most challenging threat-holding content in the game involves being new, or entirely self-imposed PvP slapfights in poo poo like Crystal Tower, though

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Zereth posted:

My point was the enemy list doesn't differentiate between "You could literally do nothing for the rest of the fight and not lose threat" and "you have threat by the smallest margin possible".
It doesn't matter in dungeons. Run in, spam some overpower, start your combos while concentrating on the mob that everyone is attacking, get 3 comms. If you do lose threat, there is enough delay in the mobs movement etc to get it back without any issues.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I made this Scholar Flowchart when I was bored at work yesterday and shared it w/ my static and posted it on reddit and people seemed to like it so I'm going to post it here, too.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Not enough memes, I give it a 3/10.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Thanks again to the pair that made HQ tank armor and gear for Hypatia last night, it really helps. <3

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Wasn't it supposed to be 3.15 today?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

kafziel posted:

Wasn't it supposed to be 3.15 today?

Tonight.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's thrown off several of my friends too. We're a lot more used to patches arriving the night of weekly reset, not the next night after that.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

armoredgorilla posted:

someone please dub Gay Bar over it

The first minute works surprisingly well if you start the track at the point derplander's running in the tunnels.

Ith
May 16, 2004
not azn
Do we know what is coming in 3.15 other than the relics and side quests?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Starlight Celebration is back on Friday and it's time to get hype.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Looks like Primal imploded about half an hour ago.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

Starlight Celebration is back on Friday and it's time to get hype.

It is a travesty that the mustache and beard can't be worn together, but I guess adding a second head slot was a hard sell.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

They shoulda made the beard a necklace or something so you could wear both.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
God dammit, of course I'm on vacation during the extent of the celebration :smith:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Sorry for provoking this whole aggro debate. So as a low-level warrior is my best bet to overpower packs and skull sunder on bosses, or should I be tab-cycling packs as well? It's not like there are a lot of options but I'd really like to not be the retard that somehow causes wipes in newbie dungeons of all things.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

Sorry for provoking this whole aggro debate. So as a low-level warrior is my best bet to overpower packs and skull sunder on bosses, or should I be tab-cycling packs as well? It's not like there are a lot of options but I'd really like to not be the retard that somehow causes wipes in newbie dungeons of all things.

Basically first and foremost, don't beat yourself up if sometimes you lose things in packs that the DPS just end up taking care of in a couple of GCDs anyway. Other than that, yeah generally a couple of overpowers will get you a good threat lead, get maim buff up if you're not in danger of having anything ripped away right away, and then do enmity combo (heavy swing->skull sunder) on whatever the DPS are attacking, switching around a bit if they're not attacking the same things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

dromal phrenia posted:

It's still a good idea to get into the habit of tab cycling just so you learn how to keep an eye on the individual agro levels of each monster in a pull. But in general, pulling with Tomahawk > Overpower a few times on groups and pulling with Tomahawk > Skull Sunder combo regularly on a boss is your best bet at low levels.

If you have leveled GLD enough to cross class Flash you can mix that in as well if you are worried about overdoing it with Overpower and running out of TP. Otherwise just relax and have fun. The early dungeons are easy even if the whole party is full of newbies, and are there to give you a chance to learn how and when to use your skills effectively.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/001295.html

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Here's my advice: Don't tunnel vision one mob at a time. Your main job is to keep everything pissed at you (not counting specific mechanics of particular mobs the tank can/should ignore; you brush on this a bit in the last boss of Tam-tara, and start seeing it more in Copperbell bosses and onward from there), while being sufficiently unsquishy that your healer can comfortably handle keeping you alive.

Your secondary - but still very important - job is to contribute to killing things and focusing mobs down. But it's still secondary. When you see people talking about endgame and maximizing tank DPS, it's because the whole threat side of thing is so ingrained and they have so many tools at that point, that it's basically a non-issue for them. So instead they shift to discussing increasing their damage. Bear that context in mind and don't feel like you're expected to be super elite at dishing out damage while you're still getting a good feel for threat management. Get threat down pat, get survivability down pat, then, later, worry about how much of those you can get away with sacrificing to improve your damage.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Please be Hildibrand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I kinda hope it's not Hildi. I like him, but it'd be sad to see him overstay his welcome, and it'd be nice to see something different.

• Locked thread