Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I just got this a few minutes ago too. Completely bullshit as the payment was processed on September 5th and had been registered just as long. Let me know what you hear from them.

Crisis averted!
Turns out, according to them, that it was a mistake. Here's what they sent me:

WinGameStore posted:

When sending a batch of bad serials back to the game developer for them to take out of the system, a file with valid, active serials was attached, instead. We apologize for the inconvenience and here is a replacement Steam Key for your game:

[REDACTED]

Only "common sense" should have been affected. Your other DLC and content should still be in place. It's possible any content that was dependent upon "common sense" may need to be re-installed.

So contact them right away if you've been affected and they'll get you a new key.

Edit for new page context: Steam decided my key for EU4 DLC was no longer valid, they came from WinGameStore, and that store issued me a new one after contacting support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

az posted:

Thinking about going for the ideas guy and dutch republics seem to be pretty popular, what excactly makes them so good?

- Great stats zero-regency rulers with some ability (sometimes/often) to choose whether to keep them for 4 years or lifetime.
- No stability loss for using your ruler as a general.
- You still get royal marriages for relationship boosting.
- Pretty awesome government stat bonuses.
- Pretty awesome events.
- Ridiculously easily managed Republican Tradition, with the bonuses that gives.
- But mostly, the first thing.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

az posted:

Thinking about going for the ideas guy and dutch republics seem to be pretty popular, what excactly makes them so good?

From a few pages ago:

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah +RT would be great for a Merchant Republic, but with Dutch Republic you're pretty permanently at 100 RT without any effort.

Reasons why Dutch Republic is crazy strong:
-no regencies
-good ruler stats and some control over keeping really good leaders with Orangists or putting the Statists in power and electing a better one
-trade efficiency is good, Heavy Ship combat ability is probably the most useful naval combat bonus other than +maneuver
-also gets good autonomy reduction from government
-RT is not an issue ever
-royal marriages
-estates
-you can get Plutocratic which combines great with Administrative (+20% Goods Produced, yes please)

Merchant Republics are also good but you miss out on marriages, estates, and your autonomy reduction is a lot weaker. You also have to actually manage your RT.

Anyone have thoughts on oligarchic vs. merchant republic?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have thoughts on oligarchic vs. merchant republic?

Oligarchic lets you upgrade to better government forms, Merchant Republic is better for monies early on. Administrative republic has that sweet, sweet -5 years of separatism, so my next idea guy run will have -10 years of separatism, Heathen tolerance and +1 RT, grab Humanism and laugh as I rock no separatism and forever war forever with no rebels.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also Merchant Republics have a unique CB that they can use on any other Merchant Republic so there is room for some shenanigans there as you can snipe Ragusa, Venice, or Genoa from anywhere within your coring range.

edit: Are there any cultures with unique benefits to keep in mind when designing custom nations?

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 15, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

420 Gank Mid posted:

Also Merchant Republics have a unique CB that they can use on any other Merchant Republic so there is room for some shenanigans there as you can snipe Ragusa, Venice, or Genoa from anywhere within your coring range.

edit: Are there any cultures with unique benefits to keep in mind when designing custom nations?

Some will let you form nations to get new ideas and events.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I thought custom nations didn't get new ideas when they formed.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

420 Gank Mid posted:

Japanese is the best culture because some japanese events only check for culture. Including one that fires after 1600 and gives a permanent -2 unrest, -10% stab cost and -5% idea cost modifier.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Average Bear posted:

If you're not a horde. Estates were meant to make internal politics get in the way of expansion. Diplomacy was changed so big allies stop joining your OPM wars.

No. Please stop pretending that you have access to the design document.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

So: Years of Rice and Salt worth a read?

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Great stats zero-regency rulers with some ability (sometimes/often) to choose whether to keep them for 4 years or lifetime.
- No stability loss for using your ruler as a general.
- You still get royal marriages for relationship boosting.
- Pretty awesome government stat bonuses.
- Pretty awesome events.
- Ridiculously easily managed Republican Tradition, with the bonuses that gives.
- But mostly, the first thing.

I tried Dutch Republic. My first ruler choice was an 0/2/0 Orangist or an 0/0/0 Statist.
Yeah I restarted as a Merchant Republic.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

One thing about Ideas Guy is that you can choose to start a custom nation at the Empire government rank regardless of how much development you have, which now means that you're automatically the cultural union for whatever culture you start as. So, if you're starting in the middle of a New World (or African) thunderdome to grab a bunch of land fast, it's probably best to be that culture because all the land you grab initially will be green culture.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Blackluck posted:

I tried Dutch Republic. My first ruler choice was an 0/2/0 Orangist or an 0/0/0 Statist.
Yeah I restarted as a Merchant Republic.

Unless they changed the stats in this expansion, that's just some bad luck. Even then, just take the statist, and in 4 years get another roll of the dice.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bel Monte posted:

Crisis averted!
Turns out, according to them, that it was a mistake. Here's what they sent me:

Yeah they replied in a couple of minutes for me as well, so that's that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

After a few false dawns, Project Qing is taking shape:

Ming collapsed rather inopportunely before I was able to take full advantage, but I was able to push into the Liaoning region. I've grabbed a few provinces from Korea, and Qi is next on the menu to get Xilin Gol and a pathway to Beijing.

My understanding is that I can reform my government for free with the Qing decision, so my first idea group should be Humanism to handle the religious problems when turning into Manchu. I'm just trying to get my hands on a Theologian so I can pass the shamanic decisions first.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Unless they changed the stats in this expansion, that's just some bad luck. Even then, just take the statist, and in 4 years get another roll of the dice.

I constantly got rulers with more than 10 points total, stuff like 6/4/6 and 4/5/6, so it is still pretty awesome.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
Apologies if this question is a bit old hat, I only dip into EU4 every now and then. Is there any way to play around with how alliances and calls to arms work in a defensive war (with quick edits or a particular mod)? Specifically to allow you to choose if you want to call allies in when someone else attacks you. I'm in a Venice game, and the number one problem I have when the Ottomans declare war is my allies in Italy getting enough military access between them to allow the Turks to march all the way up to my doorstep. Take that away and they're much easier to contain.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If you get military access through a country, all nations involved in a conflict with you also get access through that country. So if you can butter up the countries inbetween you and your allies they will come marching in.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
When does the Steam holiday sale start, and what are the odds that there is going to be any discount on Cossacks?

I'm having a difficult time waiting, but I know it is dumb when the wait is literally probably going to be like 3 days to see whether there is a $2 or $5 discount. It's not like I don't have other things to play, but I wants it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Pretty much done with my Idea Guy run now. Income of over 550 each month, without using the +10% goods produced Norse god. I was going to see how high I could get it with all ideas filled out, but at this point it's just too boring. I used pretty much the standard NIs for Idea Guy, but instead of discipline and morale for traditions I switched discipline for lowered development cost, which meant I could start that first war against Mutapa with a larger army and with Western tech and Dutch republic super rulers I would spend a bunch of points throughout the game developing those sweet gold/ivory/spice/coffee/chinaware provinces.

I supported Aragon's independence early and got an alliance that lasted through the whole game, but they did all the fighting in Europe while I occupied their African colonies. Other interesting developments is that super-Brandenburg and a Sweden that dismantled Muscowy. China was already fractured when I got there. I wanted to see how Africa would look like filled out now that you can paint the wasteland, but :effort:

Japanese culture seems like a good pick, but maybe an African culture would have been a better choice for less revolts/quicker cores in the beginning of the game.

Edit: On the topic of estates, I never had any problems with them in my game, but I did get a bunch of money and monarch points from them, and the clergy was a big help with conversions. Especially since the Norse religion doesn't have a lot of conversion strength.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 15, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SlyFrog posted:

When does the Steam holiday sale start, and what are the odds that there is going to be any discount on Cossacks?

I'm having a difficult time waiting, but I know it is dumb when the wait is literally probably going to be like 3 days to see whether there is a $2 or $5 discount. It's not like I don't have other things to play, but I wants it.

I've never seen a Paradox DLC be on sale in the very next seasonal Steam sale. It might be something like ten percent but I'd be willing to bet the two bucks that it won't be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Veeta posted:

Apologies if this question is a bit old hat, I only dip into EU4 every now and then. Is there any way to play around with how alliances and calls to arms work in a defensive war (with quick edits or a particular mod)? Specifically to allow you to choose if you want to call allies in when someone else attacks you. I'm in a Venice game, and the number one problem I have when the Ottomans declare war is my allies in Italy getting enough military access between them to allow the Turks to march all the way up to my doorstep. Take that away and they're much easier to contain.

TTBF posted:

If you get military access through a country, all nations involved in a conflict with you also get access through that country. So if you can butter up the countries inbetween you and your allies they will come marching in.

Sounds like he wants the exact opposite of that though. What he needs is to stop his allies from getting military access throughout Europe, because that also lets the Ottomans march up from the Balkans. But the long and the short of it is no, no way that I know of to avoid calling your allies on a defensive war.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
Thanks for the help, dude. The whole issue has become academic since Austria, despite having the Ottomans rivalled, has now nevertheless directly given them military access. This game does like to stack the deck against you.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

design document

design document

design document

I must see the EU design document. I must.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Dibujante posted:

You can't. I have it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Sounds like he wants the exact opposite of that though.

Wow, I completely misread that.

On a different note, does anyone know of a way to re-enable automatic calling in allies on an offensive war? I've forgotten to check the boxes twice (saw the green arrow, forgot about the change) and that was a bit distressing. The "call allies to arms" notification was useful, but I had to recall overseas diplomats in order to do so.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

TTBF posted:

Wow, I completely misread that.

On a different note, does anyone know of a way to re-enable automatic calling in allies on an offensive war? I've forgotten to check the boxes twice (saw the green arrow, forgot about the change) and that was a bit distressing. The "call allies to arms" notification was useful, but I had to recall overseas diplomats in order to do so.

I keep just setting the CtA screen to give land to my allies so that they'll join, and then I forget to check the box. Thank you notification.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiz posted:

I like the concept of the new diplomacy changes and the estates changes but it feels like the diplo stuff doesn't change anything unless you're doing a hard start where you die really early, now you can't expand offensively because you need favors to call allies first. It works pretty much the same as before Art of War otherwise though. I never mark provinces because invariably 20 random countries will gain a -200 modifier because they are claiming 50 provinces despite having a force limit of 15, which makes them attack me and poo poo which makes no sense.

And the estates poo poo is just tedious micromanagement for rewards so pitiful I don't even notice them, unless I purposely try to increase them, and then i get to choose between a loyalty revolt or a disaster, because +/- influence events fire like every other year for some reason. I had a 0-province Tribes end up taking over the government because of RNG fuckery. What the hell.

If the idea of the patch was to make the Merchant Republic government even better than it is, then, congrats I guess.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I like the concept of the new diplomacy changes and the estates changes but it feels like the diplo stuff doesn't change anything unless you're doing a hard start where you die really early, now you can't expand offensively because you need favors to call allies first. It works pretty much the same as before Art of War otherwise though. I never mark provinces because invariably 20 random countries will gain a -200 modifier because they are claiming 50 provinces despite having a force limit of 15, which makes them attack me and poo poo which makes no sense.

And the estates poo poo is just tedious micromanagement for rewards so pitiful I don't even notice them, unless I purposely try to increase them, and then i get to choose between a loyalty revolt or a disaster, because +/- influence events fire like every other year for some reason. I had a 0-province Tribes end up taking over the government because of RNG fuckery. What the hell.

If the idea of the patch was to make the Merchant Republic government even better than it is, then, congrats I guess.

We must just have very different experiences. Alliances work great for me, but I try to set up alliances against mutual enemies. The new favors system and diplomacy system mean that my AI allies give me what I want in war. And estates have, if anything, been overpowered. I lose 10% of my tax, local trade power, and manpower. To get that back, I only need to keep the three estates loyal and with at least 20% influence. That is a trivial break-even point.

Once you add up all the other bonuses estates give, it becomes a no-brainer. Skillfully managed estates give you tons of tax, manpower, trade, goods produced, defensiveness, and even +missionary strength, which used to be pretty hard to get. You used to have to build a high-level building in a province if you wanted to get that extra +missionary strength to convert it.

That's before you even look at interactions. Estates not only give you money / manpower / monarch points, but some of their interactions can also further your goals, such as the new world charter option, or getting free generals.

If anything, estates are too powerful. They don't become lovely later in the game, like they did in real life. They are just all-around good. You never reach a point where you can genuinely say, "Screw the estates; all of this land would be better ruled directly."

e: despite how good they are, I think that estates are a great addition to the game. Not just an "okay, this works" addition, but a genuinely really good one. They have substantially increased the ability of players to customize their nations. At the very least, you should be doing things like putting the clergy in charge of provinces you want to convert, giving nobles border provinces, giving trade centers over to the burghers, and so on.

e2: essentially the problem is the +% bonuses estates give. Those scale perfectly over the course of the game. If estates granted flat bonuses, they'd become a liability. Nobles giving you +1000 manpower in each province you give them is neat in the early game, but not very useful in the late game. Especially if you can't e.g. build buildings in estate-controlled land, or develop estate-controlled land. You would end up rationing off your land for short-term gain and long-term pain. This would probably not go over very well so I can see why it wouldn't be the preferred approach; it's just an attempt to illustrate my take on estates' longevity through examples.

It's possible that some entirely different approach could also achieve the same thing, like cutting estate bonuses down at 1650, and again at 1750 (by 1750 estates could actually apply penalties instead of bonuses unless they were really influential, in which case they might break even or provide a very small boost).

The main reason why I think this is that most states in the world in 1450 were so administratively incompetent (China is the exception here) that decentralized rule allowed the sovereign to reap some advantage out of territory that they would otherwise be unable to tax effectively. By 1750, advances in statecraft, literacy, nationalism and administration (China is also the exception here, much to their unhappiness) turn these necessary middlemen into parasites, essentially, although there's also just a general institutional decay going on. State churches ossify to the point where e.g. the monastery system is just a huge tax dodge, nobles move to the capital and live lavish lives as aristocrats rather than tending to their subjects, and so on.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 15, 2015

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
So, I'm going for the Re-reconquista.

I managed to stomp Tlemcen and escape to North Africa before Castile came for me.
It's 1497 and I'm almost Westernized. The guys on my right are Ottomans ally or Mamluks vassal intent on taking my land, so I can't really expand that way. Morocco is the only one who likes me but I'm too weak to take them on. The plan is to gently caress off to the Americas ASAP and stomp the natives with my superior tech.

Hope this works :ohdear:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just a warning, once Castille gets the taste of blood they often will chase you across the Atlantic in Granada games. Your African territory is certainly forfeit right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's wrong with this picture?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

What's wrong with this picture?

Did Amazonia and Theodoro end up as non-Christian somehow?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Did Amazonia and Theodoro end up as non-Christian somehow?
Amazonia is Animist and has Gothic culture but Theodoro is the same as always.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Amazonia is Animist and has Gothic culture but Theodoro is the same as always.

I wonder if the game just assigned Theodoro and Amazonia royal families from the same dynasty somehow (maybe "of Gothia" is the only Gothic dynasty) and then Vijayanagar married Amazonia? You're Amazonia; you'd know.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
poo poo, I broke the forums.

e: and I have returned them. Posts are now back?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least as far as Estates go at the end of the day I don't want to micromanage once I get past like 20 provinces. It's Parliament mechanics with more depth.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I keep seeing people mentioning that they mark provinces. I haven't figured out how to do this. I have all non-music DLC so I don't know what I'm missing.

My only problem with estates is I find it difficult to get them in the 50% - 69% influence range. 49% and 70%, sure, no problem, but I'm just not getting how to manage the estates correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Larry Parrish posted:

At least as far as Estates go at the end of the day I don't want to micromanage once I get past like 20 provinces. It's Parliament mechanics with more depth.

After a few games the only change I want is for land I annex to have the former estates removed, or for a period to revoke them without penalty.

EDIT: maybe free revocation on provinces you don't have a core on.

Nicodemus Dumps fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread