Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I probably agree with amethyst on a lot of things so it's no biggie we just have very different approaches to this here forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Okay fair enough I will join you on the 5 year memorial of the Hectorville hostage situation next year.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's not that complicated.

-A bank robber taking hostages to slow down the cops: Not a terrorist
-A maniac shooting up a planned parenthood clinic because he thinks abortion is murder: Terrorist
-A drunk domestic abuser holding his wife hostage and demanding a helicopter so he can fly to mexico: not a terrorist
-A guy holding several people hostage in a cafe demanding to speak to the prime minister so he can voice his demands about the west and islam: terrorist

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tasmantor posted:

I think drinking drano and walking off a cliff were " kill you are selves " types not "self harm like a boss" so yeah someone did ask others to die.

I stand 100% corrected, sorry my brain glazes over when Amethyst posts, which also explains why I bother replying to him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amethyst posted:

Uh that's what I was saying. Duh.

Yeah, and "most hostage situations are terrorism, assuming you ignore most hostage situations" seemed like a pretty loving dumb thing to say.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, and "most hostage situations are terrorism, assuming you ignore most hostage situations" seemed like a pretty loving dumb thing to say.

The raw numbers argument again. Piss off with that dull poo poo. It's hardly a revelatory gotcha

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

gay picnic defence posted:

Why not? Wasn't he trying to make a political or religious statement?

Eh maybe, thats what it appeared to be. People will use all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their behaviour.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

The raw numbers argument again. Piss off with that dull poo poo. It's hardly a revelatory gotcha

"Most hostage-taking terrorists are terrorists" is a glib, pointless tautology rather than an actual argument about whether and why he was a terrorist.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Most hostage-taking terrorists are terrorists" is a glib, pointless tautology rather than an actual argument about whether and why he was a terrorist.

Only if you ignore the second half of the sentence which you just specifically edited out. lmfao. Good faith poo poo my man.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also I just gotta say, and this is probably a super unpopular opinion, I don't agree with the placement of a memorial or a shrine commemorating the Lindt cafe siege. I feel like at this time it'll just be a shrine to Islamaphobia or whatever and further used as justification for discrimination against Muslims in Australia.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Eh maybe, thats what it appeared to be. People will use all sorts of mental gymnastics to justify their behaviour.

Kind of like the mental gymnastics you're performing to avoid calling Monis a terrorist.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

A guy took two people hostage in Victoria yesterday.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Also I just gotta say, and this is probably a super unpopular opinion, I don't agree with the placement of a memorial or a shrine commemorating the Lindt cafe siege. I feel like at this time it'll just be a shrine to Islamaphobia or whatever and further used as justification for discrimination against Muslims in Australia.

Were you in Sydney that day? I was. I was unable to leave my office building the entire day and had to calm down a co-worker who was terrified to the point of tears. It may seem like an abstraction, a small little corollary to the racist zeitgeist to you, but a hostage situation in a major city impacts a lot of people man.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

I totally agree, also a big signal to any misfit that demands attention for their hosed up-ness is if they use certain codewords they too can live forever in the psyche of Australians with a big bold gesture.

This is also a big part of what I don't like about the out of proportion media coverage of this whole mess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amethyst posted:

lmfao. Good faith poo poo my man.

"Most people who take hostages are terrorists, unless they aren't" is a dumb thing to say, because it's essentially a tautology but also because the weasel-word of 'most' suggests that hostage-taking is related to terrorism far more frequently than not, which is clearly not true in Australia. How should I engage with that in good faith?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Look I was going to write this gigantic effortpost about it all but I'm literally arguing with Amethyst so

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Most people who take hostages are terrorists, unless they aren't" is a dumb thing to say, because it's essentially a tautology but also because the weasel-word of 'most' suggests that hostage-taking is related to terrorism far more frequently than not, which is clearly not true in Australia. How should I engage with that in good faith?

I put the exceptional circumstances right there in my post. I'm not sure what psy op you think i'm running here but i reccomend you shut the gently caress up you pedantic hellfucker idiot.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Amethyst, do you think you could at least change your shitted pants before continuing to post? You're starting to ming a bit.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

Amethyst, do you think you could at least change your shitted pants before continuing to post? You're starting to ming a bit.

Do you think you could post a single original thought, ever? Even a single thing? Because the only thing I've ever seen you do is agree with the majority of posters in this thread, and occasionally interject to more closely align yourself with them. You're a pathetic little hanger on, basically.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Amethyst posted:

Do you think you could post a single original thought, ever? Even a single thing? Because the only thing I've ever seen you do is agree with the majority of posters in this thread, and occasionally interject to more closely align yourself with them. You're a pathetic little hanger on, basically.

Dude, who started this whole derail? I'm a trendsetter.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I don't agree with the breeding part. The problems aren't racial, they are ideological. If, for example, one can breed with a Muslim woman and raise the children non-Muslim, then that is removing those potential Muslims from being born (as they would be if the male were Muslim), while creating more non-Muslims. If the partner and children are treated well and educated in both Arabic and Western culture, they can further intermingle and more easily convert other Muslims, while making reproduction with western males look more appealing to other Muslim women. (How could it not be more appealing than marrying an oppressive Muslim male?) Take their women, and you take their reproductive capacity. Mohammed understood this, as do the Muslim invaders of Europe...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Recoome posted:

I don't agree with the breeding part. The problems aren't racial, they are ideological. If, for example, one can breed with a Muslim woman and raise the children non-Muslim, then that is removing those potential Muslims from being born (as they would be if the male were Muslim), while creating more non-Muslims. If the partner and children are treated well and educated in both Arabic and Western culture, they can further intermingle and more easily convert other Muslims, while making reproduction with western males look more appealing to other Muslim women. (How could it not be more appealing than marrying an oppressive Muslim male?) Take their women, and you take their reproductive capacity. Mohammed understood this, as do the Muslim invaders of Europe...

Don't you have a doco to work on Andrew?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Source your quotes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/photos/a.107033656297762.1073741828.106736366327491/208593802808413/?type=3&theater

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Nut hunting is a waste of time, friend. I recommend stopping before you become a bitter addict.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Gotta catch 'em all

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Gotta catch 'em all

I like them quoting known successful cultural group The Spartans whose wise traditions have ensured they still exist and wield strong power in the world scene today.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amethyst posted:

Nut hunting is a waste of time, friend. I recommend stopping before you become a bitter addict.

Recoome posted:

Gotta catch 'em all

Here this might help

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think you made a mistake, that link goes to my post history? Maybe you got the keyboard shortcut wrong or something

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Amethyst posted:

I think you made a mistake, that link goes to my post history? Maybe you got the keyboard shortcut wrong or something

:iiam:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This thread is reason enough to radicalise imo

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

This thread is reason enough to radicalise imo

You were already rad as gently caress though :confuoot:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Recoome posted:

Yeah but then you start making guesses at to whether or not they really mean it, is it just the psychosis and all that sort of stuff.

Recoome posted:

Depends. If it is something small and tasteful like a plaque then it would be fine, but some grandiose monument would send the wrong message.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Depends. If it is something small and tasteful like a plague then it would be fine, but some grandiose monument would send the wrong message.

FTFY

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Depends. If it is something small and tasteful like a plaque then it would be fine, but some grandiose monument would send the wrong message.
It's not small, but it'll just look like flowers on the ground.

But I don't think people will even take notice of it. There's a plaque commemorating another terrorist attack only 500m away and nobody even knows it's there.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

It seems so sensible, I'm surprised no one has tried to understand the relationship between radical Islam and geopolitics before.

Lid and Amethyst seem to be victims of a shifting Overton window.

Or to put it another way: they have heard the lie so many times, they believe it to be true.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hyperbowl posted:

It's not small, but it'll just look like flowers on the ground.

That'd be cool. It's hard to see the neo nazis rallying around a heap of little flowers on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-15/queensland-police-officers-stood-down-domestic-violence-stealing/7028722

no problem here

• Locked thread