Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea basically his dude is writing his insane statements off by saying 'oh that's just Trump' but then all those statements are why people go 'well gently caress voting for that guy'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Jerry Brown has never lived in the governor's mansion, although he plans to move there soon.

I take it that, to someone like Ramirez, panels 1 and 6 are somehow ridiculous.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also haha of course he lumps in 'single payer works in Canada' and '9/11 happened under W's watch' with the insane things.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is it somehow not insane? 9/11 happened under Obama's watch.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jurgan posted:

"Leftists. It's all about the force" says a woman whose sister just confided she was raped by her conservative husband.

Wait, what?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kreia's just trying to educate people that we should consider each other and the consequences of our actions instead of just saying "the force is mysterious". A KOTOR 2 Cartoon.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pickled Tink posted:

I didn't say anything of the sort. There are other valid arguments of vegetarianism and veganism, but the moral "you animal murderer" one doesn't hold water.

"You still murder some animals by proxy" is not a particularly good argument against "this means fewer animals (and ones generally lower on the energy cost/intelligence totem pole) die to let me meet my nutritional needs".

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

You skipped some strips! They were horrible.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

"You still murder some animals by proxy" is not a particularly good argument against "this means fewer animals (and ones generally lower on the energy cost/intelligence totem pole) die to let me meet my nutritional needs".

Energy cost, yes. Intelligence? Mice are way smarter than cows.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Stuff happened. Butt stuff. Bad butt stuff.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ok. Now it's just hating words for its own sake, not even connected to any political thing.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Probably a lazy week, maybe only 60 hours of research. Take some time off, Tinsley, you've earned it.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

But... 'gift' is perfectly cromulent verb :confused:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

The Larch posted:

Energy cost, yes. Intelligence? Mice are way smarter than cows.

Yeah, but cows are way more awesome than mice, can a mouse do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXhElaGCZVU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It's a great one vs. "I stand up for all animals!", though.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Gift has been used as a verb for 500 years you silly arse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zohar posted:

Maybe he just doesn't like it?

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Zohar posted:

Santa's refusal to accept centuries old terminology demonstrates how ridiculous it is when pedants do it for new words. AGC

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jurgan posted:

I've heard that in the 1800's, lobster was so abundant in New England that they fed it to Boston prisoners. It's funny how random "high class" things are.
Or how white bread was the food of the rich while the poor ate Whole Grain

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

achillesforever6 posted:

Or how white bread was the food of the rich while the poor ate Whole Grain
This is still arguably the case

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TheTatteredKing posted:

Caviar was served in bars in place of peanuts

And if I remember correctly to soldiers in the Crimean war who had the same 'trash food' complaints about it. Anyway, moral arguments about what we eat aren't stupid; they're just vastly more complicated than Vegan Artbook is equipped to deal with. Was it the Sleeper Avenue artist who did that comic about taking his kids to a farm which delved into how condensing information affects our understanding of a subject and what part that plays in our concept of the food supply? Maybe 'there are no easy answers' is a bit of a cop-out, but it displays a more nuanced understanding of the issue than 'just stop killing the cutesy animals, it's so easy.'

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jurgan posted:

"Leftists. It's all about the force" says a woman whose sister just confided she was raped by her conservative husband.

Yeah, see? She deserved it. We all do. Post hoc ergo propter rape.

e: sure can't wait for y'all to take this ethics in games vegetarianism talk to some other thread

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, see? She deserved it. We all do. Post hoc ergo propter rape.

e: sure can't wait for y'all to take this ethics in games vegetarianism talk to some other thread

In fairness, a vegetarian judge will seriously gently caress up your strategy in the Suikoden 2 Iron Chef quest.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

there wolf posted:

Was it the Sleeper Avenue artist who did that comic about taking his kids to a farm which delved into how condensing information affects our understanding of a subject and what part that plays in our concept of the food supply?
I think that's from The Nib. Looking at the book, Longstreet Farm by Mike Dawnson.

Speaking of Eat More Comics, I forgot how emotional most of those long-form comics were. Kinda depressing and/or infuriating. Is there another site like The Nib yet?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

there wolf posted:

And if I remember correctly to soldiers in the Crimean war who had the same 'trash food' complaints about it. Anyway, moral arguments about what we eat aren't stupid; they're just vastly more complicated than Vegan Artbook is equipped to deal with. Was it the Sleeper Avenue artist who did that comic about taking his kids to a farm which delved into how condensing information affects our understanding of a subject and what part that plays in our concept of the food supply? Maybe 'there are no easy answers' is a bit of a cop-out, but it displays a more nuanced understanding of the issue than 'just stop killing the cutesy animals, it's so easy.'

The extreme distance we've developed from our food supply over the last ~150 years definitely had a part in the pollyanna worldview that fuels the Vegan Artbook author. Like, it's hard to picture her having the same kind of "human suffering and animal suffering are completely and exactly equivalent" viewpoint if she was living on a farm in the 1820s. And it's really had an effect on the larger culture, like the fact that even we NWS-tag the "gross out" slaughterhouse images she uses when they are posted here. Animals in various states of butchering would be a very common sight to well over half the US population until around 1870 or so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

e_angst posted:

The extreme distance we've developed from our food supply over the last ~150 years definitely had a part in the pollyanna worldview that fuels the Vegan Artbook author.
Huh. Really thought you were going to go into Malthusian demographics and Political Economy there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Jerry Brown has never lived in the governor's mansion, although he plans to move there soon.

You will choke, you little clown, when you mess with President Brown.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jurgan posted:

You're thinking Skye (liberal strawsister). It is Jan (reluctant liberal former coworker) who is married to Damon (black mouthpiece). Getting Jan and Skye mixed up is pretty common. Difference is Skye has tattoos and Jan looks like she has purple skin. Muir often forgets how long Jan's hair is and just uses Skye's hair though, causing confusion.

Someone kill me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Mordiceius posted:

Someone kill me.

Now you know how those guys felt when they were able to catalog Chris-Chan's life(?) into a wiki.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Speaking of the Day By Day butt rape strips, you should check out the fan comments on this one http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/comic/you-know-the-drill/

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordiceius posted:

You're thinking Skye (liberal strawsister). It is Jan (reluctant liberal former coworker) who is married to Damon (black mouthpiece). Getting Jan and Skye mixed up is pretty common. Difference is Skye has tattoos and Jan looks like she has purple skin. Muir often forgets how long Jan's hair is and just uses Skye's hair though, causing confusion.

Someone kill me.

Moody music and slow, meticulous zoom-in on your life provided by Simon and Garfunkel.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Hello darkness my only friend

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conservatives smile with indulgence over everything he says, whether it goes against conservative creed (1 & 6) or it goes against basic human decency (2, 3, 4, 5, 7); but they are scared by whatever a Democrat Party member says, no matter how reasonable or appropriate it is. A good cartoon.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zetsubou-san posted:

Hello darkness my only friend

It's "hello darkness my old friend"

more like Simon & Garflunkel

That's one loooooooong speech bubble

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That dachshund :kimchi:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Zohar posted:

Yeah, but St. Nicholas is 1700 years old, so I give it to him.

I hate "ask" as a noun, and its been around since Beowulf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Dry Bones is the one comic I see here where I'm never sure if I'm looking at an incredibly low-effort edit or the genuine article

• Locked thread