Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Raere posted:

I looked up a guy I'm going on a date with soon on Facebook and his pic is a selfie with him and Jeb! I'm not sure which is more offputting - that he's a Republican or that he supports Jeb!

You've done it. You've found the one Jeb! supporter left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

comes along bort posted:

It is a traditionally Democratic county and was one of only two counties in the state won by George McGovern.[11] The last Democratic candidate to lose the county was William Jennings Bryan in 1896.[12] In the last five Presidential elections the Democratic candidate has consistently received over 63% of the county's vote.[13]

What does that have to do with them being absolute trash? They managed to convince themselves that a solar farm would suck up all the sunlight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mandatory lesbian posted:

if i saw al-queda on facebook i'd like it as a joke, are we supposed to not allow people in this country cause of jokes

You've spent enough time on the forums to know the answer to this

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KomradeX posted:

So NPR did a bit of how should the media cover Donald Trump. Politico is unsurprisingly awful

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/13/45957...tm_content=2040
The NPR chief's take is pretty lovely too imo, but fitting for the institution

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Someone just spent a lot of money to buy the largest paper in the fourth primary/caucus state, and they aren't talking. As the company in question incorporated in Delaware only recently, the owners of the company that bought the paper (some speculate Sheldon Adelson is the mastermind) do not have to reveal themselves until after the Nevada primary.

Whoever it is though, it seems almost certain that they plan to do some good, old fashioned yellow journalism before the election. As the article notes,

quote:

The sale has already engendered suspicions of infringement on editorial freedom, when, according to the Huffington Post, Taylor stopped the presses on Thursday night to remove references to questions about the new company's owner and a quote from editor Michael Hengel.

“The questions that were not answered Thursday are 1) Who is behind the new company, and 2) What are their expectations?” Hengel said in the quotes that were removed but did slip into some of the paper’s Friday print editions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Raere posted:

I looked up a guy I'm going on a date with soon on Facebook and his pic is a selfie with him and Jeb! I'm not sure which is more offputting - that he's a Republican or that he supports Jeb!

You're going to get catfished by Jeb!

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
This is amazing. https://twitter.com/Phil_Cosby_/status/676613784140673024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

So NPR did a bit of how should the media cover Donald Trump. Politico is unsurprisingly awful

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/13/45957...tm_content=2040

The difference between HuffPo and NPR's answers is really striking

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Aliquid posted:

The difference between HuffPo and NPR's answers is really striking

I agree, the NPR answer is terrible and the funny thing is all the GOP supporters tearing into them for being anti trump.

Gee NPR you're sure informing people!

quote:

Interview Highlights

Susan Glasser, editor of Politico

"I think our role is to play referee, is to provide independent, critical thinking — but not critical news reporting on this. We have an opinion section," Glasser says. "Everybody has an opinion about Donald Trump. So our role isn't to do that. It's to provide original reporting."

She puts it simply: "If you want to call him a racist, you can call him a racist. But it's not our job to inform your use of adjectives."

Ryan Grim, Washington bureau chief of The Huffington Post

"We have a certain obligation," Grim says. "When we see a strain of hate- and fear-mongering rising to a certain level, the press does have an obligation to try to call that out and point out what it is that's happening."

Grim adds: "The idea that you would block all Muslims — including American citizens — from coming into the United States is not just absurd, it's not just unconstitutional. It's evil, and it's fascist. And it's OK to go ahead and say that, and in fact, media organizations ought to."

Michael Oreskes, senior vice president of news and editorial director of NPR

"I think our rules are really quite clear — and what they're based on is actually our bond with our audience, not the relationship to the candidates. I don't actually worry too much about fairness to Donald Trump, but I do worry a lot about the tone of our journalism," Oreskes says.

"Our job is to be open to as many different kinds of listeners and readers as we possibly can reach, and the more you sound like you're calling someone a name, the less people will listen to you."

The bottom line, Oreskes says: "Our moral role in society is to provide as much information to as many people as is possible."

Bitch rear end is more concerned about listenership than the loving sensationalist huffpo. I mean seriously.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

quote:

"Our job is to be open to as many different kinds of listeners and readers as we possibly can reach, and the more you sound like you're calling someone a name, the less people will listen to you."

Hey NPR, I hope you're as open to listening to others as you claim your listeners are, because I've got some news for you you're not going to like to hear...

Not that this is at all surprising considering how tightly their leash is held by Republicans in Congress.

EDIT: Remember, waterboarding isn't torture if Republicans disagree.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 15, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow he really did say he cares about tone more than fairness. Your NPR suspicions confirmed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jPmxZYG.jpg][/img]

(embedded link)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Well there's your Trump story for the week.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Senator Inhofe is beaming tonight. The GAO just came out with a report that accused the EPA of breaking the law with "covert propaganda" when it publicized its Clean Water Rule on social networks. In particular, the auditor slammed the EPA's attempt to use Thunderclap to get people to support the rule and for a blog post that linked to the Surfrider Foundation. The news comes as Republicans prepare to amend this week's spending bill to defund all enforcement efforts for the Clean Water Rule.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey NPR, I hope you're as open to listening to others as you claim your listeners are, because I've got some news for you you're not going to like to hear...

Not that this is at all surprising considering how tightly their leash is held by Republicans in Congress.

EDIT: Remember, waterboarding isn't torture if Republicans disagree.

Ah, Glenn Greenwald, my favorite completely correct raging rear end in a top hat.

NPR is pretty good as US news sources go but would be a lot better with a guaranteed source of funding not dependent on Republicans in Congress deciding graciously to permit their continued existence, despite obviously being Liberal Satan, or upon Viewers Like Us.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And finally tonight, SCOTUS has issued your yearly reminder that, thanks to federal law, corporations remain free to break any consumer protection laws they want as long as customers are unwilling to pay the thousands of dollars to go to arbitration, and there is nothing states can do to stop them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

What does that have to do with them being absolute trash? They managed to convince themselves that a solar farm would suck up all the sunlight.

Actually the solar farm was set to be the town's fourth, but was rejected because it didn't meet residential setback requirements.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

one or two crackpots talking about aliens at a town meeting does not in any way imply that the zoning board acts out of consideration for those aliens

please don't absorb nonsense clickbait headlines and take them as gospel

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

hobbesmaster posted:

American Pharaoh is a Kentucky bred. :colbert:

Well, Thoroughbreds did originate from Arabian stallions, but that's so many generations ago it would be like calling the most lily-white person you know African because humans started there.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Trump Audience Member Yells Nazi Salute as Protester Removed From Las Vegas Rally
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-audience-member-yells-nazi-salute-protester-removed-las-vegas-n480056?cid=sm_fb

quote:

Some Donald Trump supporters attending the Republican presidential candidate's rally in Las Vegas on the eve of the next GOP debate treated protesters with unusual hatred Monday night.

Trump was interrupted several times by Black Lives Matter protesters, prompting a furious reaction from the crowd. Some screamed, pointed, and at one point shoved a heckler as hotel security swooped in to remove them.
1:30

As one man was dragged away, Trump supporters variously yelled, "Shoot him!" "Kick his rear end," and "Light the motherf----r on fire!"

A large middle aged man shouted, "Sieg heil!" — a Nazi Germany-era salute — as the protester was taken away.

Another protestor dragged out. Man in suit screaming: "He's a Muslim guy! He's a Muslim guy!"
— Benjy Sarlin (@BenjySarlin) December 15, 2015

"He's a Muslim!" another man in a glittering black suit shouted as another protester was removed. "He's a Muslim!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dont want to live in this universe anymore. Like literally jokes* we made over the years are happening.

*All the jokes are coming true.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I only hope that this inspires more and more protesters at Trump rallies. He needs to be bombarded by people at every single public appearance he makes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is what the image I posted upthread linked to, by the way

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I only hope that this inspires more and more protesters at Trump rallies. He needs to be bombarded by people at every single public appearance he makes.
Let's organize a group, "White Anglo-Saxon Protestants Against Trump"

It'll be a group of white people protesting Trump rallies, and ideally standing in front of the minorities so they're harder to get at

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, watching this video is such a reminder at how horrible the Democrats were in the 90s. Supporting the idea that violent video games lead to murder, the de-regulation binge, all the lovely pieces of "tough on crime" legislation, welfare "reform" with Bill adding insult to injury saying the "era of big government is over".

Not only that, but it's cause of the Clintons (and the Gores) that Power Rangers had to tone down its rock soundtrack because they complained that it sounded too "aggressive". :argh:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 15, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Man, watching this video is such a reminder at how horrible the Democrats were in the 90s. Supporting the idea that violent video games lead to murder, the de-regulation binge, all the lovely pieces of "tough on crime" legislation, welfare "reform" with Bill adding insult to injury saying the "era of big government is over".

Not only that, but it's cause of the Clintons (and the Gores) that Power Rangers had to tone down its rock soundtrack because they complained that it sounded too "aggressive".

I too hold political grudges from my childhood years, except they're about cool stuff like Bush backing out of the Kyoto protocol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Zas posted:

I too hold political grudges from my childhood years, except they're about cool stuff like Bush backing out of the Kyoto protocol

I wanted Reagan to win when I was 6 because I thought the name "Mondale" sounded like some kind of nerd. I want to say Alex P Keaton may have influenced me as well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, are they saying the Nazi guy was SUPPORTING Trump?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FetusSlapper posted:

I wanted Reagan to win when I was 6 because I thought the name "Mondale" sounded like some kind of nerd. I want to say Alex P Keaton may have influenced me as well.

When I was in 2nd grade, I supported H.W. over Clinton cause the word "Republican" sounded nicer than Democrat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Last week wasn't someone around here betting that there would be an actual Nazi display at a Trump rally within a few months? Looks like that happened fast.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Joementum posted:

So ya
Thought ya
Might like to
Go to the show

Seriously, I've watched that scene a few times lately and it's terrifying how accurate it is now, even though it was supposed to be an over-the-top allegory

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SgtScruffy posted:

Seriously, I've watched that scene a few times lately and it's terrifying how accurate it is now, even though it was supposed to be an over-the-top allegory

Well, for the film version they did bring in actual skinheads to play the extras.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Police are searching for a 25-year-old man who threw a Molotov cocktail at the only Somali restaurant in Grand Forks, ND, destroying it. This comes after someone drew a swastika on the walls and wrote "go home" under it. He also bragged about it afterwards while getting Qdoba. It is unclear what the motive was behind the attack.

e: Nevermind, they found him a few hours ago but the motive, alas, remains unclear.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 15, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Check out the debate thread with all the debate info!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

It's gone

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Mr Interweb posted:

When I was in 2nd grade, I supported H.W. over Clinton cause the word "Republican" sounded nicer than Democrat.

My middle school had a voting machine for the '96 elections (the scantron reader type that Wisconsin has used forever) and we all got to do sample ballots.

I voted for Perot because of a girl I liked. :sigh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wait, are you saying that the UK Independent and everyone else who ran with this story intentionally excised the parts of the original story which explained the real reasons for rejecting the solar farm in order to paint a small town as a bunch of backwoods inbreds who probably think that photography steals their souls?

I am shocked.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wait, are you saying that the UK Independent and everyone else who ran with this story intentionally excised the parts of the original story which explained the real reasons for rejecting the solar farm in order to paint a small town as a bunch of backwoods inbreds who probably think that photography steals their souls?

I am shocked.

But that's impossible, reality has a liberal bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I've had people outright refuse to believe me that the top income tax bracket was 90%. Like, straight up deny it; even when faced with historical records and numerous sources.

• Locked thread