Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

The funniest part of the recipe episodes, to me, isn't the recipes themselves. They're gross, but most of them aren't really that unusual or hard to imagine. It's more the completely hopeless white trash posting with glee about how delicious they are. Yum-o! That's why "To Serve Otherkin" is one of my favorite episodes -- the comedy isn't in the recipes, the comedy is the weirdos posting them. The recipes exist as a medium for people to reveal the depressing nihilistic void within themselves.

I mean, sometimes I eat garbage on a plate too because I'm hungry and broke and that's what's in the pantry. But I don't post about how it's a family favorite that will have a horde of friends clamoring at the door for more.

Yes, exactly this. Though I do find myself thinking that the recipe episodes are starting to blunt with repetition, since that is what a lot of them boil down to, which can get repetitive. I wouldn't mind these episodes becoming a little less common to accrue more of the very worst, or having a unique angle like the Otherkin one did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

To be fair, this one did have a unique angle in the form of 'these are all calculated by a faceless food conglomerate to be likely causes for you, the consumer, to buy their products.'

They expect you to look at these recipes and go 'why, yes, it is vital to my life that I go out and by some Kraft(TM) cheese so I can make this.'

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, but it's not like this is a fantastic voyage we're on. I think all of us have had that moment when we've looked at the back of a bag of shredded cheese and noticed how weird it is that all of the ingredients are generic "ground beef, vegetable oil, salt to taste, Kraft (tm) Shredded Cheddar Delectables (tm) shredded cheddar cheese."

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Cheddar Cheese: Now With 95% More Beef!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't usually like the recipe episodes but the latest one was quite good. To clarify I just mean they are my least favourite type not that they are bad. WikiHow having me in tears makes it hard for some other episodes to compare is all! Will there be a 200th episode special?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I hope the 200th episode is another miscellaneous topic spectacular, if only because I want them to read about stuff like the guy on the Silent Hill wiki having a meltdown about circumcision and other things that don't warrant a whole episode on their own.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
People need to look that up, it's incredible.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chaos rhames posted:

People need to look that up, it's incredible.

There seem to be a lot of results, link?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

EmmyOk posted:

There seem to be a lot of results, link?

Voidburger covered it extensively, if you scroll down a bit

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah I saw she had tweets about it was just taking ages to get to the start of them haha

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

dijon du jour posted:

I hope the 200th episode is another miscellaneous topic spectacular, if only because I want them to read about stuff like the guy on the Silent Hill wiki having a meltdown about circumcision and other things that don't warrant a whole episode on their own.

Blowfly Girl reading needs to happen. Then burn everything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bird knees don't bend backwards!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
For those curious, someone amalgamated much of the silent hill circumcision tale: https://storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'll take this opportunity to say something that has been brewing inside me for go knows how long (since the SF podcast?): Mayonnaise cake is, in fact, a normal thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Invisible Ted posted:

For those curious, someone amalgamated much of the silent hill circumcision tale: https://storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

This doesn't cover the point where it spilled over into the Xenosaga wiki, a wiki the guy is also an admin of. Apparently circumcision is one of the main themes of Xenogears!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

steinrokkan posted:

I'll take this opportunity to say something that has been brewing inside me for go knows how long (since the SF podcast?): Mayonnaise cake is, in fact, a normal thing.

I dunno man.

I take an awful lot of pride in my homemade mayo, and as delicious as it tastes, I gotta draw the line on putting in cake. Yeah the oil would make it moist but if moistness is what you want, why not just use plain oil, without the added mustard powder and vinegar etc?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got around to hearing the new Yahoo? Answers!?!? episode. I used to think that Lemon was just a sloppy reader, but that "fights" thing convinced me that he's genuinely dyslexic, which is honestly far preferable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoxTerrier posted:

I dunno man.

I take an awful lot of pride in my homemade mayo, and as delicious as it tastes, I gotta draw the line on putting in cake. Yeah the oil would make it moist but if moistness is what you want, why not just use plain oil, without the added mustard powder and vinegar etc?

Mayonnaise (bundt)cake was, afaik, invented as a stop gap solution for cases when you need to bake something as fast as possible (unexpected guests) or can't muster enough eggs and oil. It works fine in that regard since it's just substituting ingredients in one form for the same ingredients in a slightly different form.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

No. No it isn't.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Finally got around to hearing the new Yahoo? Answers!?!? episode. I used to think that Lemon was just a sloppy reader, but that "fights" thing convinced me that he's genuinely dyslexic, which is honestly far preferable.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

steinrokkan posted:

Mayonnaise (bundt)cake was, afaik, invented as a stop gap solution for cases when you need to bake something as fast as possible (unexpected guests) or can't muster enough eggs and oil. It works fine in that regard since it's just substituting ingredients in one form for the same ingredients in a slightly different form.

If mayo was just eggs and oil you'd have a point. But powdered mustard, lemon juice and vinegar render it more than a slightly different flavor palette...and one I have a really hard time seeing complemeting cake. I also doubt most people making mayonnaise cake are using homemade mayo rather than like, the crappy stuff out a jar, which taste significantly different and I haven an even harder time ever imagining working.

TL/DR: I think you may need to wave the white flag on this one. Mayo cake is weird.

Anyway, non cake content: Add me to the people that can't wait for another wikihow podcast. Those things are the *best*

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 15, 2015

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

steinrokkan posted:

I've had mayo bundt cake, it tastes slightly off and has an unpleasant texture, I wouldn't recommend it. It is however, probably better than coolwhip, canned peaches and 7-up jello, which barely counts as food, not to mention something that deserves a recipe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of industrial recipes:

http://www.hellmanns.cz/recepty/detail/babovka-z-majonezy-hellmanns

Maybe American mayo is different? Dunno.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Sham bam bamina! posted:

With Lemon it's a game of Dyslexic Or Drunk

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?
Pretty much any time he runs into an unfamiliar word, it takes him like five attempts to get through it, and accidentally rearranging letters (as Boots said, the letters for "gifts" are all present in "fights") is extremely characteristic of dyslexia. For my minor in college, I actually took a scriptwriting course taught by a dyslexic guy (he didn't let it stop him from making short films; he knew what he was doing and knew how to teach it), and I've noticed that Lemon falls into a lot of the same pitfalls that this guy did when he read parts from our scripts to the class. But like I said, it wasn't until this episode that I heard something so specifically dyslexic.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 16, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Or, y'know, the people he's reading are incomprehensibly illiterate and everyone's usually drinking like a fish during the recording sessions. That'll do it too.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Or, y'know, the people he's reading are incomprehensibly illiterate and everyone's usually drinking like a fish during the recording sessions. That'll do it too.
It happens early on with decently-written posts as well, though. All that really matters is whether or not he can quickly recognize the word as a whole and spit it out; if there's any complication, he has to deliberately sound his way through it, often in multiple attempts.

But hey, it's not like I spent a semester hearing a self-acknowledged dyslexic read things out loud. :v:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 16, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't be weird and speculate over who has a learning disability or not.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

A discussion about the podcast could end up being content for it, how very meta.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It happens early on

I dunno, that's being awfully generous by assuming Lemon doesn't pregame before recording the podcast.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
I'd love to see another 'bad movie scripts' episode again eventually. I was just listening to Episode 41 recently and I maintain that the CSI script is easily the best thing ever featured on this wonderful podcast.

"My name is SECTETARY".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So what are some good STOG episodes? I want the STOGiest STOG episodes there are.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

So what are some good STOG episodes? I want the STOGiest STOG episodes there are.

r/ecuseyourself and The Remainder of My Time Will Be a Series of Grunts are very STOG-y. Also, any of his readings at F Plus Lives.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

Skyrim sex mods is another good one.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
r/ecuseyourself is an amazing episode in general and has quite a high STOG quotient.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Just got to "Pioneers of Crack Squatting" yesterday and EESH that was a gross (and great) one. I love when you can tell a reader is legitimately surprised by how nasty something is. The unfiltered, non-jokey disgust is delightful.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I want another god-wives episode really, really badly.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Succubus wives has been sitting in the hopper for a while now.

Edit: over two years

Looks like we're getting time travelers and fitness bros recordings in the future for your regular doses of stupid and infuriating.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 16, 2015

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

My Fanfics Are Full Of Emotion is still the STOGiest damned episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Just got to "Pioneers of Crack Squatting" yesterday and EESH that was a gross (and great) one. I love when you can tell a reader is legitimately surprised by how nasty something is. The unfiltered, non-jokey disgust is delightful.

That's a really good one, and I love how they discover the grossest thread just as they're winding down the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

On a similar note, what are the best Kumquat episodes? I want more of his maniac voice like the John Kitchin episode.