Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wish Ghost Walker was tied to dual swords and not dual guns. It's a REALLY overpowered art.

Dual Guns have Zero Zero and Violent Streak, both are amazing for building Overdrive count. Pretty much all high DPS overdrive builds use one of those two + ghostwalker. Pair it with a longsword and you have the cookie cutter build that Japanese players use to take down lv95+ tyrants solo.

Here's a build that only relies on javelin buffs and dual gun arts.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MohShuvuu posted:

Dual Guns have Zero Zero and Violent Streak, both are amazing for building Overdrive count. Pretty much all high DPS overdrive builds use one of those two + ghostwalker. Pair it with a longsword and you have the cookie cutter build that Japanese players use to take down lv95+ tyrants solo.

Here's a build that only relies on javelin buffs and dual gun arts.

Yes I know, but I want to use a goddamn sniper rifle. Geez. That's why I said I wished ghostwalker was connected to the swords and not the guns, that way I could have Ghostwalker AND my goddamn sniper rifle. Because Ghost Walker is INSANELY overpowered.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The Rexoskell's second battle theme is certainly...something.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
uh oh i think i ran across a steamy nopon affair

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lessail posted:

uh oh i think i ran across a steamy nopon affair

Nopon are some seriously seedy fuckers if you pay attention to their quests. Drugs, booze, affairs, capitalism. They got it all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Senerio posted:

I swapped Elma and Lin's outfits as their fashion gear first chance I got.

Oh my god you can swap party member outfits???????? And it will be reflected on their models??????? I know what I'm doing when I get back from work :dance:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

zedprime posted:

You're on chapter 9. Make sure you're killing the mooks first, using the start menu to tell your party to focus on your target which should be a mook, and maybe take a look at any AOE arts you may have been ignoring because they usually get you killed in normal fights. If you're still under their level even after the mulligan prompt you're pretty low in general, and as much as some people like to preach that level doesn't mean a lot, I think the qualifier is "compared to XC" as equaling the enemy's level seems like a huge equalizer if you aren't deep into gear and augments and art builds.

What the gently caress, that actually worked. I don't know if it was getting up to level 34, focusing, or going mostly AOE, but I did it.

Now for the next part :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god you can swap party member outfits???????? And it will be reflected on their models??????? I know what I'm doing when I get back from work :dance:

You can equip them however you want, and they look like however it is, but I just tossed them as fashion items.

Lin is wearing Elma's outfit and sunglasses. Elma is wearing Lin's outfit and the medicinal eyepatch. Alexia (Cross) is wearing glasses, tanktop, diving bands, and jeans.

Everyone else is wearing various armors as fashion gear so that they all match.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just got this game

Title music is really, really good

Will I like it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are the mech/arch/bio drops randomized, or are they always that specific item? I find a lot of treasures that will give me bp or mining probes or credits, but rarely science probes. I realize that science probes only come from mech, but those are rare as it is.

Halo in lvl 3 bio treasure.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 15, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was falling asleep with the initial survey bullshit pre-chapter 4 and barebones quests but now the game just opened in a huge way. tons of affinity missions, just found Oblivia, trying out new classes and poo poo.

that "find 2 tubes from Puges" thing though, gently caress that. grinding those 3 Puges at that one base for thirty minutes praying they'd drop 2 loving tubes was ridiculous. Sometimes the item collection stuff based on drops is downright awful.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You can buy them in the barracks using reward tickets.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Getting energy tubes the hard way was the game's lowest point by far.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I don't know what it is but I'm never not maxed out on reward tickets. Any mission that involves getting a drop from a monster, I just complete in the barracks. Sometimes I wonder if I should just be buying random poo poo just because, so I'm not 'losing' tickets.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know what it is but I'm never not maxed out on reward tickets. Any mission that involves getting a drop from a monster, I just complete in the barracks. Sometimes I wonder if I should just be buying random poo poo just because, so I'm not 'losing' tickets.

gently caress, the density of this game. I had no idea what those tickets even were for, let alone that I could buy items in the barracks with them. God drat.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Buy endgame stuff like Telethia emeralds.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not getting almost any tickets since I still get disconnected every time after like 30 minutes of playing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Valliantstu posted:

Lao's worse, and not nearly as entertaining.

"Someone mentioned the word family around me, time to be distant and upset and then later buy ice cream"

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Someone mentioned the word family around me, time to be distant and upset and then later buy ice cream"

These characters are a retread pile of unchallenging anime tropes. The game carries itself for me with the abundant actual game it has. So much poo poo to do, how beautiful the environments are, the quality put into the BGM keep me in there. Climbing into giant robots and further beating the poo poo out of wildlife that terrified you for the earlier 25 to 30 hours is going to be one of the most memorable experiences for me.
Getting back to plot and character development is cringeworthy as any other mediocre RPG with this game though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just got this game

Title music is really, really good

Will I like it?

Read the manual. The game basically expects you to do so, since it doesn't cover some of the core game mechanics through introductory missions and goals. It also expects you to refer back to it from time to time to refresh your memory/figure out what the gently caress is going on.

The game can be obtuse, and is pretty awful at communicating with the player in general. Important game mechanics and details aren't introduced or touched upon well for a typical player, and simple things like "let the player know when they're losing health or about to die" aren't well executed ("what the gently caress I DIED???"). Things like how to start affinity missions and heart to hearts are basically hidden secrets.

Not all enemies are meant to be fought and beaten immediately. Treat the tougher enemies like FOEs - they're more akin to obstacles you have to avoid and deal with, rather than just flatten in combat. This is a particularly tough lesson to learn, especially since you will run into endgame enemies from the get-go.

Learn how to use probes properly. They're your most profitable and reliable sources of precious materials and money. The in-game tutorial missions for them are okay, but looking up information online about maximizing your probe profit is crucial to not being loving penniless oh my god kill me.

You don't get a skell for a while. Some probe sites you just can't reach without one, and some probes in the very beginning are inaccessible until way later in the game.

In fact, the game is very non-linear in that fashion. Certainly try to push exploration and probe placement as far as possible, but don't overextend yourself - you only need to do the bare minimum of surveying that the game wants you to do for story purposes, so hold back on exploration and surveying if you're hitting a wall.

Things that matter for winning battles and not dying are gear, resistances, augments, and Arts and TP. Levels also matter more than you think, and you should be aiming for enemies one or two levels above you, in general. You gain very little from fighting anything at a lower level than you, unless you're farming for materials.

There are high highs and low lows to the game. What it gets right, it excels at, but there are dumb design decisions here and there that are super frustrating.

The game is great, in general. There's just noticeable rough spots, weirdness, and flat out stupid bullshit in places. However, it's definitely A Good Game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Andrast posted:

I'm not getting almost any tickets since I still get disconnected every time after like 30 minutes of playing.

I feel your pain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

5er posted:

These characters are a retread pile of unchallenging anime tropes.

Pretty much exactly what I expected from Xenoblade TBH!

I actually enjoy the side quests. The main plot is dumb but there's some legitimately fun stuff in the side content and the main quest only comes up when I'm absolutely forced to progress.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much exactly what I expected from Xenoblade TBH!

I actually enjoy the side quests. The main plot is dumb but there's some legitimately fun stuff in the side content and the main quest only comes up when I'm absolutely forced to progress.

I'm going to be fair and also acknowledge that that's exactly what I expect out of any given jrpg I buy into. When the game itself is really good, I can forgive it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I've just finished the game, and I'm convinced that it would have been improved with the absence of Lao.

All the character adds, in the end, is a check on the betrayal box of the animu/jrpg list, some extra requirements before going into the main story, and two added phases of a final boss that was already long to begin with unless you were overleveled. The plot at large could have easily progressed if that character was never written in. Luxaar could still have been taken out, the big group of enemies could still have had a hold of something important to the main plot, creating urgency, and the main story would have had a lot less that was just -in the way.- I know they were trying to make that character feel like an important part of the story with a meaningful arc, but there's only so much you can do to polish a pig. Or is that... put lipstick on a turd? Something like that.
If it's the matter of that character's class, any other character could have had that class.

L, on the other hand, rules. As far as I'm concerned, he's the canon 4th member. MC, Elma, Lin, L. Time spend with them is my kind of party time, if you know my drift.

Edited for better obscuration.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 15, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't think I agree. He reveals the screening process behind those who were allowed on the ships fleeing Earth, which while not incredibly important to the story the game tells, is certainly in line with its themes. Leaving that out of the main story to be revealed in a side mission would have been worse.

I like and sympathize with him. v:shobon:v

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Terper posted:

I don't think I agree. He reveals the screening process behind those who were allowed on the ships fleeing Earth, which while not incredibly important to the story the game tells, is certainly in line with its themes. Leaving that out of the main story to be revealed in a side mission would have been worse.

I like and sympathize with him. v:shobon:v

That's not a bad point, actually. I can give the character credit for that. My honest question is if it would have been better or worse for the plot point you mention to have been brought up earlier, or in a different fashion (while still being part of the main story)? Was where and how it was revealed the best time for it? I couldn't really guess as to whether or not it would be.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 15, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Lepyxes and Cantors are the worst and they're both required for XX melee and potential augments. Lepyxes don't have an appendage for moonstones as far as I know and to add onto that they drop so much poo poo you almost never get one. Cantors stupid butts can't be locked onto if you're in a Skell and surprise, they have a ton of hp so grinding them from the ground is super slow and even when you destroy their assholes they still drop so many different materials that you never get any.
Correction, the bulge might actually be their hand tumors but loving hell, you can't lock onto their arms either.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 15, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Any way to buy back character specific costumes? I may have sold Elma's base gear early on.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Dastardly posted:

Lepyxes and Cantors are the worst and they're both required for XX melee and potential augments. Lepyxes don't have an appendage for moonstones as far as I know and to add onto that they drop so much poo poo you almost never get one. Cantors stupid butts can't be locked onto if you're in a Skell and surprise, they have a ton of hp so grinding them from the ground is super slow and even when you destroy their assholes they still drop so many different materials that you never get any.
Correction, the bulge might actually be their hand tumors but loving hell, you can't lock onto their arms either.

Anything that's a monster drop (unless there are a small handful of -very- specific ones I missed) can be picked up at the division/scouting console in the barracks for reward tickets. It's a matter of how many. At this point I'd choose that method if their reward ticket costs are fair at all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Any way to buy back character specific costumes? I may have sold Elma's base gear early on.
The good news for Elma is its level 5 Granada light armor. A lot of it is level 5 armor.

Some of the outfittier outfits seem more unique though but I'd have to imagine look alike show up in bulletin board rewards.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

deepshock posted:

Anything that's a monster drop (unless there are a small handful of -very- specific ones I missed) can be picked up at the division/scouting console in the barracks for reward tickets. It's a matter of how many. At this point I'd choose that method if their reward ticket costs are fair at all.

Both things costs 72 tickets per item and I need 32 and 48 PER augment so there's just no winning. I can either farm the mobs and go insane or waste all my blade medals and tickets fighting Plume and dying of boredom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a good written guide to overdrive? The YouTube videos of people wrecking the poo poo out of indigens are incomprehensible to me.

Also can we not post end-of-game spoilers while only blacking out a character name that's makes it so obvious what character you're talking about.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 15, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Thanks

I don't know when last I read a manual, but I don't think it was this millennium

I played a lot of XC, but I guess that could lead to some false assumptions

Still listening to the intro music, it's great

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

zedprime posted:

The good news for Elma is its level 5 Granada light armor. A lot of it is level 5 armor.

Some of the outfittier outfits seem more unique though but I'd have to imagine look alike show up in bulletin board rewards.

Thanks,
I knew that all the character outfits are buyable but never spotted Elma's in the store.

So I'm okay with basic collect missions but gently caress any normal collect missions. They're a big fat road block for the mission flow.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
^^the game really should make items/drops way more common when they're part of your active mission. or tell you where they are. or something

the writing can actually be good outside of the main story! it's kind of a bummer

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Dastardly posted:

Both things costs 72 tickets per item and I need 32 and 48 PER augment so there's just no winning. I can either farm the mobs and go insane or waste all my blade medals and tickets fighting Plume and dying of boredom.

Have you tried appendage runs for squad tickets? I farmed 2600 tickets pretty quickly that way.

Tender Bender posted:

Is there a good written guide to overdrive? The YouTube videos of people wrecking the poo poo out of indigens are incomprehensible to me.

Also can we not post end-of-game spoilers while only blacking out a character name that's makes it so obvious what character you're talking about.

Remember these combinations and what they do during overdrive:

quote:

Orange Orange = Nothing
Orange Orange Orange etc (minimum 3) = EXP Bonus, keeps stacking with more orange arts
Orange Blue = Overdrive Duration+
Orange Green = Overdrive Duration+
Orange Yellow = Nothing
Orange Purple = TP Bonus

Blue Orange = Nothing
Blue Blue = Nothing
Blue Green = HP Recover
Blue Yellow = Nothing
Blue Purple = Debuff time extended

Green Orange = Double overdrive count bonus
Green Blue = Overdrive duration+
Green Green = Double overdrive count bonus
Green Yellow = Double overdrive count bonus
Green Purple = Double overdrive count bonus

Yellow Orange = Nothing
Yellow Yellow Yellow etc (Minimum 3) = Class EXP Bonus, keeps stacking with more yellow arts
Yellow Blue = Overdrive Duration+
Yellow Green = Overdrive Duration+
Yellow Yellow = Nothing
Yellow Purple = TP Bonus

Purple Orange = Appendage damage up
Purple Blue = Overdrive Duration+
Purple Green = Overdrive Duration+
Purple Yellow = Appendage damage up
Purple Purple = Appendage damage up/TP Bonus

You basically want to alternate green and yellow/orange to keep the duration up and boosting your count.

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 15, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also this is kind of a dumb question but um, how do you check what kind of overdrive a given skell has and what it does?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Looper posted:

^^the game really should make items/drops way more common when they're part of your active mission. or tell you where they are. or something

Even with a guide showing me where everything is it's a complete crapshoot collecting them. Like most of the time they're always rarity 3+ and it needs like 3+ for the quest.

Like i'm fine with putting a basic collect mission on the bench for like whenever I happen to get the items while doing the rest but having a normal mission start with a combat encounter and then just drop a collect object afterwards is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Looper posted:

also this is kind of a dumb question but um, how do you check what kind of overdrive a given skell has and what it does?

i haven't seen this explained anywhere in-game so just check this page

• Locked thread