Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

dijon du jour posted:

Man, I hope Lloyd never does anything heinous. That'll taint over half the videos. :ohdear:

Lloydis cooking meth under Brad's chair, causing the DEA to seize it as assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Which one was Jake again? Was he the one with the beard and the deep voice, or was he the one who had the podcast show with Brad that everybody here hated?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

I think that's what has caused me to drop off from following Brad. At one time he was one of my favorite reviewers and he's got a fantastic work ethic. But with Brad, moreso than most others, it's hard to set the personal stuff aside because it just permeates through everything.

I dunno, Brad's chill as hell and all around nice guy from what I've heard. Sometime's you just end up with awful friends. Hell, I just found out that a friend believes in false flag attacks (several friends, actually...) and another believes vaccines cause autism. Sometimes poo poo happens like that unfortunately and I think everyone here has horror stories about a friend.

Mine involves a burning arm and protests against the "negro" invasion of Canada. Sometimes you get REALLY awful friends.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ema Nymton posted:

So that's the story on that movie? drat it. And Brad probably didn't think he'd need the necessary "cover your rear end" legal documentation because Jake was a longtime friend who'd been with him through a lot, before Jake hosed (ahem) it all up.

gently caress YOU JAKE. gently caress YOU! :argh: On top of everything else, we're not getting "Shot on Shitteo" now. gently caress you Jake gently caress you. You dumb piece of poo poo! :mad:

CYA documentation is not the right descriptor. Jake had not signed the film release yet, and without that, Brad could not release publicly any footage with Jake in it. Brad said that reshooting it with a different actor would mean redoing 90% of the movie. If they had Jake's release signed and in hand, they probably would have done the same thing BTTF II did with Crispen Glover, or perhaps like that one guy from The Room.

Hopefully, Brad will start production on a new movie. Gotta show these other TGWTG people how to make a low budget movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

But with Brad, moreso than most others, it's hard to set the personal stuff aside because it just permeates through everything.

I think that's because, more than others, he draws heavily from those who are already his friends or family. Need a character? I'll just use my friend. Need a babe? I'll use my girlfriend-turned-wife-turned-exwife. Going to see a movie? Bring my friends along! He's always been more collaborative than other critics.

I think it's kinda funny (not ha ha funny) to watch Brads content in order and go "Oh, Brad has a new girlfriend!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Jsor posted:

Here, Brad confirms it's true a few posts down from that.

So this is the infamous awfulness of Channel Awesome you occasionally hear about. Yikes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

So this is the infamous awfulness of Channel Awesome you occasionally hear about. Yikes.

No, that's just Brad's in-house turmoil. The real CA scumminess is much worse and goes way deeper than that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which one was Jake again? Was he the one with the beard and the deep voice, or was he the one who had the podcast show with Brad that everybody here hated?

He's the screamy guy that kept being sent to kid's movies.

(And don't google for the dude's name with Brad Jones, main hit seems to be a conspiracy blog of some sort.)

Brad Jones seems to be a magnet for hosed up people since this is like the third person on his crew that started nonsense.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Kunster posted:

Brad Jones seems to be a magnet for hosed up people since this is like the third person on his crew that started nonsense.

Who's the third after Jake and Jerrid?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kunster posted:

He's the screamy guy that kept being sent to kid's movies.

(And don't google for the dude's name with Brad Jones, main hit seems to be a conspiracy blog of some sort.)

He might be a spaz vortex

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who's the third after Jake and Jerrid?

Maybe Jillian? But she wasn't booted off anything or fired from the site like Jake and Jerrid, she just decided of her own accord that she didn't want to do on camera stuff for the site like Midnight Screenings and the like any more.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

nine-gear crow posted:

Maybe Jillian? But she wasn't booted off anything or fired from the site like Jake and Jerrid, she just decided of her own accord that she didn't want to do on camera stuff for the site like Midnight Screenings and the like any more.

brad said jillian had medical issues to why she is not on the side at the moment. I think he is tlking about josh since kunter is one of the few who still talk about that hairy turd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyron posted:

brad said jillian had medical issues to why she is not on the side at the moment. I think he is tlking about josh since kunter is one of the few who still talk about that hairy turd.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Josh Hadley. Which is probably the best thing one can do w/r/t Josh Hadley :v:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
:siren: Brad does the Star Wars Holiday Special :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJO59eu6lQ
EDIT: Holy poo poo, that 37 dicks joke.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

nine-gear crow posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Josh Hadley. Which is probably the best thing one can do w/r/t Josh Hadley :v:

Basically, if you're called Brad it might be wise to be cautious around people whose names begin with J. That's the take away from all of this.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dude just stuck on my head a lot given that he had a knack for getting really good guests in and happened to talk a lot about old stuff I was interested in.

And when you make a cohost have heart palpations mid stream from screaming at you in rage over "getting paid as an artist means you aren't a real one" and mention several times on how you got fired on your tv job thru a sexual harassment suit on early episodes of your ranty podcast, then yeah you'll stick on my head pretty easily and I'll be a "kunter" about it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's that time of year again, folks: time for Todd year-end list predictions.

Take Me To Church will very probably get the #1 spot on the worst list, but I don't know if I'd toxx for that. I'm expecting Megan Trainor to make at least two appearances on the worst list, Dear Future Husband and Marvin Gaye were both rancid. As for best list, this was a weak year, maybe even more so than 2014. What Do You Mean will probably squeak out a spot on the best list for lack of competition. If Todd is feeling like a goofus, he might put Uptown Funk on the list again because it charted so late into the year.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I can't feel my face will probably appear on the best list. Did chandelier come out this year?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ex's and Oh's will end up on a list. Not sure which list thoigh.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

watho posted:

I can't feel my face will probably appear on the best list. Did chandelier come out this year?

It absolutely won't, Todd has nothing positive to say about The Weeknd. And Chandelier was on last year's best list.

Mokinokaro posted:

Ex's and Oh's will end up on a list. Not sure which list thoigh.

Todd said in a tweet that he's ambivalent about it, so I'm not counting on it placing on either.

Frankly this year is hard to gauge, for what Todd thought. Most of my guesses come from following him on twitter; I feel like every year he makes fewer and fewer actual pop song reviews. Like, maybe that's why his reviews skew so hard negative in recent years: he doesn't review songs anymore unless he has a substantial opinion on them, and if his opinion is substantially positive it seems like he wants to sit on the song for the year-end list.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

Like, maybe that's why his reviews skew so hard negative in recent years: he doesn't review songs anymore unless he has a substantial opinion on them, and if his opinion is substantially positive it seems like he wants to sit on the song for the year-end list.

I suspect some of it is also that most viewers want to watch rage and bile rather than criticism per se, so positive reviews are just not that popular.

Which is a shame, because I really like his best of stuff, but I can definitely understand not wanting to spend time and effort on something that won't give as much payout when you can spend that time and effort gettin that money or playing with your dog.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

DStecks posted:

It's that time of year again, folks: time for Todd year-end list predictions.

Take Me To Church will very probably get the #1 spot on the worst list, but I don't know if I'd toxx for that. I'm expecting Megan Trainor to make at least two appearances on the worst list, Dear Future Husband and Marvin Gaye were both rancid. As for best list, this was a weak year, maybe even more so than 2014. What Do You Mean will probably squeak out a spot on the best list for lack of competition. If Todd is feeling like a goofus, he might put Uptown Funk on the list again because it charted so late into the year.

Rachel Platten's Fight Song is my dark horse pick for #1 worst. He could probably copy-paste his review for Katy Perry's Roar with the names changed and it would work pretty well. Other picks: Thinking Out Loud, Watch Me Nae Nae, Renegades, Good For You

Shut Up and Dance is probably going on the best list. He put Cobra Starship on a best-of list a few years ago and they've got the same nerds-making-dance-songs-for-nerds vibe that he's mentioned he likes. And Adele is sure as poo poo going to be on it too.

EDIT: As for my personal best, yowza, you weren't kidding that this year is pretty weak. Every time I see a song on the Year-End chart that I like it's from last year. Cool for the Summer, maybe?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 15, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Rachel Platten's Fight Song is my dark horse pick for #1 worst. He could probably copy-paste his review for Katy Perry's Roar with the names changed and it would work pretty well. Other picks: Thinking Out Loud, Watch Me Nae Nae, Renegades, Good For You

Ooh, good call. Good picks all around, really. For a minute I was sure Thinking Out Loud was on last year's list, but he just casually mentioned it because I don't believe the single was charting yet in December.

Based purely on twitter, Hotline Bling will probably be low on the worst list. I'm not expecting Adele anywhere on either list. Personally, nothing could have possibly killed my interest in her faster than "Hello".

Shut Up and Dance could very well take #1 best, if only for lack of competition. I would legitimately put like 25% odds on Todd giving Uptown Funk #1 again just because he can.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've been watching Retsupurae doing a long play of Ripper and its sad just watching them poo poo on it and saying how all the puzzles are stupid and how the plot doesn't make sense.

I mean everything seemed to make sense when Spoony LPed it, hell I think Spoony actually liked that game and thought there some really good puzzles in it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Not sure if Renegades belongs on a worst list of the year.

It's not bad or good, it's just there.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Hello is nice.

But I do agree Todd's working with an even more bare bones list this year.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

On Twitter, Todd actually had really positive things to say about this year in the early months, like he felt it had already surpassed 2013-2014 in terms of good songs. I have no idea what he was listening to that made him think that, but I'm pretty sure he said it.

DStecks posted:

"Take Me To Church"? I don't remember hearing that song in 2015 at all (OK maybe it was still around in Jan-Feb, I can't remember). But I do remember it being on his dishonorable mentions list for 2014. I'd be shocked if that was his #1 for this year. Meghan Trainor could definitely be up there though.

Actually I could see Taylor Swift topping both lists, with "Style" as his #1 best and "Bad Blood" as his #1 worst. That's a long shot, but I do expect those songs to be on those lists. He's mentioned them a lot.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Compendium posted:

Hello is nice.

Hello isn't bad, it's just a massive declaration from Adele saying "I am just going to keep rerecording 21 for the entirety of my career".

rujasu posted:

"Take Me To Church"? I don't remember hearing that song in 2015 at all (OK maybe it was still around in Jan-Feb, I can't remember). But I do remember it being on his dishonorable mentions list for 2014. I'd be shocked if that was his #1 for this year.

:ughh: Oh, yeah. That's how much of a loving non-year 2015 has been.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Chez Apocalypse dead? It's been a long time now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

:ughh: Oh, yeah. That's how much of a loving non-year 2015 has been.

To be fair every Hosier song sounds the SE and belongs on the worst list.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The best people in Brad Jones's crew are Brian and Sarah. It's a shame Josh being awful ended The Reviewers, because that was one of the bets things Brad has ever done. (Aside from 80s Dan, it's been way too long since the last 80s Dan).

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

OldMemes posted:

The best people in Brad Jones's crew are Brian and Sarah. It's a shame Josh being awful ended The Reviewers, because that was one of the bets things Brad has ever done. (Aside from 80s Dan, it's been way too long since the last 80s Dan).

That was Jake, not Josh. Josh being awful is why Brad left Radiodrome.

Still, would have liked to see the ending of The Reviewers.

EDIT: Josh Hadley is the worst.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 15, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DStecks posted:

It absolutely won't, Todd has nothing positive to say about The Weeknd.

But he really liked that song though, mainly because it doesn't sound like a The Weeknd song.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

OldMemes posted:

Is Brian the guy with the beard who was in his 80's Dan show? With the kind of slow, nasally voice? Whose wife kept cucking him with the plastic children's toy?

I liked him.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jack Gladney posted:

Is Chez Apocalypse dead? It's been a long time now.

Apparently their site was built around Blip's platform and so when Blip died their site died as well. The individual producers are still making videos and still putting the Chez Apocalypse bumper at the end so I'm guessing it will come back at some point when they can get someone to recreate the site for them.

Also, Todd has a new One Hit Wonderland (for Patreons only).

vvv Edit: oops, I didn't realize. vvv

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 15, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Hey, that's still Patreon-exclusive! Don't be spreading that!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Beefstew posted:

:siren: Brad does the Star Wars Holiday Special :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJO59eu6lQ
EDIT: Holy poo poo, that 37 dicks joke.

Guess who else is doing the star wars christmas special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5gMWcl9FU

DarkRaziel420
Jul 5, 2008

Leal posted:

Guess who else is doing the star wars christmas special?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL5gMWcl9FU

Holy gently caress that ending.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

achillesforever6 posted:

I've been watching Retsupurae doing a long play of Ripper and its sad just watching them poo poo on it and saying how all the puzzles are stupid and how the plot doesn't make sense.

I mean everything seemed to make sense when Spoony LPed it, hell I think Spoony actually liked that game and thought there some really good puzzles in it

I watched Spoony's Ripper LP again back in October. I remember him saying that he did play and complete Ripper around the time it came out. What I really liked about his commentary on Ripper is that he breaks away from the jokes and details the thought process behind each of the puzzles in the game. I haven't been following the Retsupurae, though, so I can't really comment on it.

(Fun fact: Spoony's Ripper LP was actually the very first video I watched when I discovered TGWTG. I found the site via RetrowareTV, where at the time, they were talking about the Policenauts translation patch, which Slowbeef worked on.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Retsupurae is mostly about how silly 90s cyberpunk the game is.

• Locked thread