Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SnakePlissken posted:

Quick, someobody defund tha ACA before we have to pay for any mooching children's treatment!

Sorry, that's in pretty bad taste.

The city is applying for emergency federal funds for "increased spending on special education and mental health services. Let that sink in for a bit. Personally I think those responsible for the decision should be sentenced to drink 1 large glass of water from the Flint river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

There was also a would be AirBnB person who rented out his apartment to someone who threw an orgy at it, and he has since been blacklisted by NYC landlords and is essentially homeless now, lol.

There was also a guy who came back from a trip to find a strange couple sleeping in his bed, and it turned out his roommate had been renting his room out on the sly whenever he left town.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

An Angry Bug posted:

Require they only drink water from the river until they fix it or die.

The really cool thing about lead is that it's not particularly deadly directly, it just causes a quadrillion other problems, especially developmentally.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They could, but it would be a new precedent, since the NLRB has ruled previously that 1099 employees can't unionize.

Well, not have a union that is protected by the NLRB. There are unions of independent contractors, though they are not nearly as effective as employee unions.

quote:

Despite these limitations, joining a union as an independent contractor can yield lots of useful benefits and resources. The local can help you secure health and equipment insurance, provide you with contract advice, and help you find and secure jobs. The union can also fight for your legislative interests and provide educational programs. One thriving example of an independent contractor unit is the Guild Freelancers, an active group of independent writers and journalists who have organized as a part of the larger Pacific Media Workers Guild, a CWA local. Another great example is WashTech (the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers), a CWA local formed by Microsoft contract employees in 1998.

http://www.cwa-union.org/pages/my_employer_says_i_am_an_independent_contractor.what_does_this_mean

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Oracle posted:

Yeah, the emergency manager that Governor Snyder appointed decided to use the Flint River (notorious for the last 100+ years for being heavily polluted due to industrial runoff from the automotive industry) as the source of drinking water for the city instead of Lake Huron from a Detroit water company. Cue businesses in Flint paying extra money to relink to the Detroit water because the Flint River water was so corrosive it was loving up their machinery.

People began complaining about the water being rusty and smelling/tasting foul and feeling horrid and the city selectively tested a few homes that were on newly-replaced pipes and surprisingly found acceptable levels of lead in the water. Any tests of other homes were jerryrigged to produce acceptable results also (letting the water run for up to a half hour before testing it, stuff like that) or just outright lied about. Combine the corrosive water with already aging and underused infrastructure due to the steep population decline thanks to local industry disappearing and the water was a mess. (Personal anecdote: was staying at my grandmother's house over Xmas last year which is in Flint and took a shower in this water. It did something horrible to my hair to the point where it felt dirtier after the shower than before I got in. Went to my sister's just out of town just to shower again in her well water to get the film off and had to wash it like three times).

Concerned citizens had to finally go to an EPA guy in Chicago to test the water instead of just being blown off which is when the Superfund levels of lead in the water were discovered (I think the highest was like 10,000 times the legal limit) and then FOIA and such revealed documents that those in charge knew and were actively taking steps to cover it up.

It is a total shitshow and I hope to God everyone involved up to Snyder burns for it.

Yeah, it's literal cartoon-villain stuff. They literally knew it was a problem and did it anyway.

The federal EPA actually told MDEQ back in February that they needed a corrosion control plan and that they were likely to have a lead problem and they just kept on trucking.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 15, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm in Israel at the moment and all the news media is total :derp: BOMB THREAT IN LA SCHOOLS CLOSED !!!

Is it getting any of that kind of coverage in the US or is it more like the "guess someone didn't feel like taking a test today" :shrug: my school system had in the 90s?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Perfect timing. Yesterday a coworker and I were having an office discussion on executive overreach and one of the things that came up was how agencies enact rules and regulations outside of the bounds of law. I disagreed with that out of hand and said that if an executive agency oversteps its bounds it is liable to be challenged in the courts. Anyway, this morning I came in an saw an email from him with a link to a WaPo article discussing how the EPA overstepped its bounds by using social media to form a grass-roots campaign to support its policies.

That struck and really pissed me off because it's such a red herring for the GOP to then attack the EPA and gut portions of the Clean Water Act. I am going to send him this link for further discussion because goddamnit. I'm still so upset about it I'll probably make a facebook post because... I don't awareness or something.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

After The War posted:

I'm in Israel at the moment and all the news media is total :derp: BOMB THREAT IN LA SCHOOLS CLOSED !!!

Is it getting any of that kind of coverage in the US or is it more like the "guess someone didn't feel like taking a test today" :shrug: my school system had in the 90s?

Apparently the email came from Germany and another one like it was also sent to NYC (who didn't give a poo poo).

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Love to bring up this piece whenever I see passive voice mentioned - it's pretty awesome, McSweeney's Guide to Ambiguouis Grammar:

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-ambiguous-grammar

quote:

A lazy dog and a quick brown fox were involved in a jumping‑related incident.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

After The War posted:

Its getting the usual "Breaking News, nothing else happening in the world, lets report on nothing at all" coverage from the 24/7 news channels. New York got the same threats and decided they weren't credible and that a lot of the authorities/law enforcement agreed with that call. No one's really saying it but it sounds like LA overreacted to a hoax. LA officials are now doing a press conference and are already in defensive mode where they're saying "Its easy to second guess people but we have to err on the side of caution."

It also kind of sounds to me like LA fumbled the execution since they got the threats last night but didn't close schools early enough to prevent kids from heading to school. But I'm just basing that on being from NY and thinking "snow day" rules where you gotta make that call by like 5 AM at the latest or else all hell breaks loose.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Count me as a pretty happy user of airbnb and uber :shrug:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is the other problem I've seen, besides slum lords using it to dodge taxes/regulations. People have some property and think they're gonna turn renting it out on AirBnB into a business, but because it's a legal grey area, there's no process that might teach them at least a thing or two about how to properly run their business. Legitimate business owners can be dumb too but at least the process of incorporating, getting insurance/loans, applying for permits, etc sort of serves to let them know how things should work. AirBnB and the like basically make it so you end up with people who don't have proper insurance, don't use contracts of any kind beyond what AirBnB provides (which doesn't really protect anybody but AirBnB), and just generally have no business conducting this kind of transaction.

But things like "insurance" and "permits" and "contracts" and "knowing what the gently caress you're doing" are just burdensome regulations that get in the way of people handing me money for things!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shrike82 posted:

*adds to counterrevolutionaries.odf*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, it's literal cartoon-villain stuff. They literally knew it was a problem and did it anyway.

The federal EPA actually told MDEQ back in February that they needed a corrosion control plan and that they were likely to have a lead problem and they just kept on trucking.

Is this the same Emergency Manager that the public voted to have removed but then the Governor ignored that and went forward regardless?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Every once and awhile there is news in Hawaii about how lawmakers are going to "do something" about illegal vacation rental properties, but nothing ever happens.

Probably because a huge number of homes in nice areas like Kailua or Hawaii Kai are just vacation homes for rich mainlanders and they like the easy income they get for the 50 weeks a year they don't live in them.

If you're ever going to Honolulu though you should 100% stay in an AirBnB instead of in Waikiki because Waikiki is a gross shithole.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shrike82 posted:

Punishment: Death by guillotine

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I wish Uber and Airbnb weren't run by ruthless libertarian douchebags because they really did make some significant improvements to their respective industries.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I wish Uber and Airbnb weren't run by ruthless libertarian douchebags because they really did make some significant improvements to their respective industries.

Which industry did Airbnb improve exactly? The illegal hotel industry?

What innovations did airbnb bring that vrbo didn't in the 90s?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I know it's a D&D thing to make it sound like Amazon, AirBnb, and Uber literally offer nothing of value beyond regulatory arbitrage but they're providing services of value to consumers. I'm all for added regulation and I'm pretty comfortable saying that it'll impact their bottom line but their business models are viable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

I know someone who simultaneously complains about rent while running a air bnb operations in the same city. Kinda odd.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Stereotype posted:

Did airbnb? Like, did hotels or bnb's actually do anything in response?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

shrike82 posted:

Kill you'reself

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I know it's a D&D thing to make it sound like Amazon, AirBnb, and Uber literally offer nothing of value beyond regulatory arbitrage but they're providing services of value to consumers. I'm all for added regulation and I'm pretty comfortable saying that it'll impact their bottom line but their business models are viable.

airbnb actually didn't innovate anything, other companies had been doing the exact same business model...except without the focus on illegal properties. That's airbnb's big "innovation" making it easier for illegal vacation rentals to occur.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

airbnb actually didn't innovate anything, other companies had been doing the exact same business model...except without the focus on illegal properties. That's airbnb's big "innovation" making it easier for illegal vacation rentals to occur.

Let's hear more about these companies. They must be pretty big given the size of the industry :allears:

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Excuse me but if you aren't giving both sides equal weight or if you are *gasp* expressing an opinion! Then you're just biased and unfit to be called a real reporter. As the Daily Show put it 11 years ago:

When was this episode, anyway?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

Let's hear more about these companies. They must be pretty big given the size of the industry :allears:

I've got this great timeshare to offer you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Like I posted about before, vrbo (now part of homeaway, which is now owned by expedia) has been doing the exact same thing as airbnb since the 90s. Just not all about making it easier for illegal rentals.

I'd love for you to explain to me what the "innovation" that airbnb provides, if you can. :allears:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DrPop posted:

As a resident of Michigan who's heard about this nonstop for a while, I can't believe they're just declaring a state of emergency now. This deserves to blow up into something much huger than it has been and, like you said, there's a lot of people who should be blamed in the current administration.

Do you have any news links?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I actually thought that airbnb and vrbo started at the same time (like lyft and uber) so color me wrong and I guess! They really do offer a service that people want (An inexpensive short term rental unit for vacations or work trips, cheaper because it isn't a full fledged hotel) but it also fucks up rental markets something fierce. Sounds like something that can easily be solved by regulation and taxation though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Airbnb innovated separating money from ugly idiots and into their bank account.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Dynamically Adaptive App-facilitated Couch Surfing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Graigslist has also been doing this for years.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

if people are saying that craigslist is equivalent to airbnb, i think the problem is with them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

botany posted:

Apparently the email came from Germany and another one like it was also sent to NYC (who didn't give a poo poo).

Nothing like that is bring mentioned over here and it is still being treated like a Big And Important Scary Event.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Stereotype posted:

but it also fucks up rental markets something fierce.

Ahem, "disrupts."

:smug:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Radish posted:

"I believed in my heart that the water was fine." Oh well looks like that's that and no one is to blame.

I see you're a Michigander too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The funny thing is that Airbnb could very easily still survive and still go through the normal hotel stuff and pay hotel taxes. There is still a good segment of the population that would prefer to rent apartments in neighborhoods than get stuck getting a hotel room in the tourist district. Obviously costs would go up, but they would probably just end up being even with hotels instead of undercutting them.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Boon posted:

Perfect timing. Yesterday a coworker and I were having an office discussion on executive overreach and one of the things that came up was how agencies enact rules and regulations outside of the bounds of law. I disagreed with that out of hand and said that if an executive agency oversteps its bounds it is liable to be challenged in the courts.

Is he just opposed in principle to the idea of someone other than Congress making rules? The manner of enactment of rules and regulations is itself a creature of law. Agencies can get their hand slapped for overstepping their bounds just by going about making a rule or decision improperly.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ahem, "disrupts."

:smug:

It disrupts the really obnoxious "tourist islands" that appear in every city around hotels, but it also creates an even more obnoxious landlord class of fat lard fuckers who make enough to live by taking up space and ruining the rental market in an area. Someone should disrupt them next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Disrupt landlords and start squatting

• Locked thread