Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Swan Oat posted:

Disrupt landlords and start squatting

Disrupt landlords with a guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SnakePlissken posted:

When was this episode, anyway?

August 23, 2004

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

Is he just opposed in principle to the idea of someone other than Congress making rules? The manner of enactment of rules and regulations is itself a creature of law. Agencies can get their hand slapped for overstepping their bounds just by going about making a rule or decision improperly.

He's a typical libertarian; government can do no good, dysfunctional Congress is good, regulation is bad. He's reasoned some of Trump's statements as not completely outrageous and will acknowledge that domestic terrorism is often just considered crime while not acknowledging that it doesn't make it any better than Islamic inspired terrorism.

Economic issues is where he's shown he can be at least temporarily swayed on, but if it at all drags into any other sector (governance for instance) which it inevitably does, all hope is lost.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 15, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

SedanChair posted:

Where does Trump stand on Airbnb anyway? Maybe he doesn't care because the people who use it are not likely to be his luxury hotel customers. Or are they?

"luxury" "hotel"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trabisnikof posted:

Which industry did Airbnb improve exactly? The illegal hotel industry?

What innovations did airbnb bring that vrbo didn't in the 90s?

Tax avoision?

SedanChair posted:

Dynamically Adaptive App-facilitated Couch Surfing

I do like couch surfing and AirBNB does make that easier, tho it is less personal which is where the real fun in couch surfing is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stereotype posted:

I wish Uber and Airbnb weren't run by ruthless libertarian douchebags because they really did make some significant improvements to their respective industries.

I don't know, I was able to pick up gypsy cabs pretty easily back in 2005 and even a few times as early as 1997.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The State should use IT to disrupt the economy. All residential sales and rentals in a central online market - paygrades and a central market for jobs. Little jobs like ubering and grondskeeping will be the foundation for guaranteed minimum income.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Swan Oat posted:

Disrupt landlords and start squatting

Pretty sure exactly that has already happened via airbnb- someone signs up for a short-term stay and then finagles their way into remaining in the apartment long enough for tenant's rights to kick in and make getting rid of them far more trouble.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Do you have any news links?

Unfortunately I don't have any bookmarks as I've mostly been hearing stories about it on our local NPR affiliate over the past several months. Here are some that I found after googling it, though.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/05/445975954/elevated-lead-levels-detected-in-some-michigan-childrens-blood

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/29/444497051/high-lead-levels-in-michigan-kids-after-city-switches-water-source

It's just exceedingly obvious that it's a massive fuckup on so many levels, whether as a result of incompetence or deliberate misdirection and obfuscation.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 15, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:catstare:

I'm totally adding this story to my arsenal. My cold, black heart goes out to the citizens of Flint.

The latest

FEMA sends 28,000 liters of bottled water to Flint amid lead troubles

Here's hoping this is the thing that breaks the camel's back.

Here's some background on the disaster that is the Emergency Manager situation in Michigan.

quote:

Signed into law in March 2011, it granted unprecedented new powers to the state’s emergency managers (EMs), including breaking union contracts, taking over pension systems, setting school curriculums and even dissolving or disincorporating municipalities. Under PA 4, EMs, who are appointed by the governor, can “exercise any power or authority of any officer, employee, department, board, commission or other similar entity of the local government whether elected or appointed.”

What are the qualifications for such a powerful office and the six-figure salary that accompanies it? Not much: PA 4 requires “a minimum of 5 years’ experience and demonstrable expertise in business, financial, or local or state budgetary matters.” Last year the state held a pair of two-day training sessions for EMs, both run primarily by companies that provide outsourcing services to municipalities and school districts. Yet PA 4 made the emergency manager the single most powerful person in the city.

quote:

Despite their relatively short history, EMs have a record of abusing their powers. This past summer Arthur Blackwell II, Highland Park’s former emergency financial manager, was ordered to repay more than $250,000 he paid himself. In Pontiac EFM Michael Stampfler outsourced the city’s wastewater treatment to United Water just months after the Justice Department announced a twenty-six-count indictment against the company for violating the Clean Water Act.

http://www.thenation.com/article/scandal-michigans-emergency-managers/

There was an attempt to roll it back through referendum, however...

quote:

EMERGENCY MANAGER: Michigan voters rejected the state’s controversial emergency manager law in November of 2012. Less than two months later, lawmakers approved a new version that gave emergency managers most of the same powers they had before while giving local communities a few more options in the early stages of the process. Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder said the new law improved on the old, but critics said it was essentially a clone. It also included an appropriation, making it immune to an additional voter referendum.

So again

quote:

Lynna Kaucheck, Senior Organizer Food and Water Watch Michigan: This stems from the emergency management law and our lawmakers in Lancing [Michigan] taking away municipalities rights to govern themselves...I don’t think so. No. I don’t think the water shutoffs in Detroit would be happening like they were either if it wasn’t for emergency management. We probably would not have the Great Lakes Water Authority that is in the process of moving forward, either. Because a lot of these decisions were made by emergency managers (EM) that they’re not accountable to the people of the city. There is no democracy involved at all, in making those decisions.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/videoblogging/2015/12/13/poisoning-of-100000/

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
AirBNB basically saw a lifestyle model that's alive and well with normal people who live in Europe and are friendly and pretty cool and decided to exploit it for fat pig Americans who can't be bothered to meet people but would rather just click buttons on a screen.

In short, lol if you don't have a good friend in every major city you can crash with on a moment's notice, goons.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

President Trump to issue national shut-down of all mini-golf courses. Only Trump-developed resorts are legal golf and golf-like recreation areas.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile in Alabama...

http://abc3340.com/news/local/birmingham-mayor-involved-in-little-bit-of-an-altercation-outside-council-meeting

quote:

Birmingham Mayor William Bell was involved in an "altercation" with City Councilor Marcus Lundy outside today's council meeting, sources told ABC 33/40.

Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper said Bell was injured in the incident and was taken to the hospital. An investigation into the incident remains ongoing, Roper said.

Details of the incident weren't immediately made available.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My friends all moved to places I don't want to go :smith:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yes, if you don't travel by bunking over on a friend's couch, you're a total loser indeed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Roll tide

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

My friends all moved to places I don't want to go :smith:

These are the places where jobs typically pop up

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I'm too busy posting in uspol to have friends, bub

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Shageletic posted:

So again
Lynna Kaucheck, Senior Organizer Food and Water Watch Michigan: This stems from the emergency management law and our lawmakers in Lancing [Michigan] taking away municipalities rights to govern themselves...I don’t think so. No. I don’t think the water shutoffs in Detroit would be happening like they were either if it wasn’t for emergency management. We probably would not have the Great Lakes Water Authority that is in the process of moving forward, either. Because a lot of these decisions were made by emergency managers (EM) that they’re not accountable to the people of the city. There is no democracy involved at all, in making those decisions.
http://blog.seattlepi.com/videoblogging/2015/12/13/poisoning-of-100000/

lmao I rented a house from this woman and it was a shithole (she was nice and she's right about most of this stuff tho)

But yeah the Flint water thing is an obscene disaster, whether you opt to look at it from the perspective of EM mismanagement or government bumblefucking in general

DrPop fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DrPop posted:

lmao I rented a house from this woman and it was a shithole (she was nice and she's right about most of this stuff tho)

But yeah the Flint water thing is an obscene disaster, whether to opt to look at it from the perspective of EM mismanagement or government bumblefucking in general

EVERYTHING IS CONVERGING

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hello. My name is Mandy Patinkin. You frequently quoted my most famous role. Prepare to die be admonished.

quote:

“I would like to be with Senator Cruz for a moment and I would like to respectfully ask him, since he quotes all the lines from ‘The Princess Bride’ and certainly all of my character, Inigo Montoya’s, lines, I would like to know why he doesn’t quote my favorite line?” That line, Mr. Patinkin said, was among the last his character utters in a movie that essentially taught that love conquers all.

“After the princess flies out the window and falls into Andre the Giant’s arms,” Mr. Patinkin said, “Inigo says to the Man in Black, ‘I have been in the revenge business so long, now that it’s over, I don’t know what to do with the rest of my life.’”

Mr. Cruz, in Mr. Patinkin’s heavily left-leaning worldview, is trafficking in the revenge business, appealing to anxious voters by saying of the Islamic State, “We will carpet-bomb them into oblivion,” and by exploiting fears about immigrants and Muslims.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dude actually did more than just talk about it. He went over there too!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeland-actor-mandy-patinkin-visits-greece-refugee-migrant-crisis/

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

AirBNB basically saw a lifestyle model that's alive and well with normal people who live in Europe and are friendly and pretty cool and decided to exploit it for fat pig Americans who can't be bothered to meet people but would rather just click buttons on a screen.

In short, lol if you don't have a good friend in every major city you can crash with on a moment's notice, goons.

But this isn't what AirBNB is anymore.

You don't actually stay with any sort of host. They leave the doors unlocked, you walk in, and you contact them via phone or email if you have any problems.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Shageletic posted:

EVERYTHING IS CONVERGING

At one point her partner came over to fix our collapsing front porch we had complained about for a while and he mortared an empty beer bottle into the new porch and stopped every single one of us to show us the good job he did.

This was after the basement flooded to biblical proportions and made the house practically uninhabitable for a few weeks.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Shakugan posted:

But this isn't what AirBNB is anymore.

You don't actually stay with any sort of host. They leave the doors unlocked, you walk in, and you contact them via phone or email if you have any problems.

Wait, posters criticizing uber and airbnb haven't actually tried the services. poo poo, this changes everything!

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

shrike82 posted:

Wait, posters criticizing uber and airbnb haven't actually tried the services. poo poo, this changes everything!
Yes, that one person is ALL POSTERS. You caught them.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know, I was able to pick up gypsy cabs pretty easily back in 2005 and even a few times as early as 1997.

With an app that told you exactly where the car was, let you split the fare with friends (even if they weren't with you at the time) and allowed you to pay with credit?

Those gypsy cabs?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
unlike these D&D libtards, i enjoy buying bangladeshi sweatpants at wal-mart. mmm, tastes like freedom. heh. liberals

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It wouldn't be a terrible idea just to download the apps and give them a go.
Looking at people's responses, it's pretty clear most of the people criticizing the platforms have literally never interacted with them before.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Riptor posted:

With an app that told you exactly where the car was, let you split the fare with friends (even if they weren't with you at the time) and allowed you to pay with credit?

Those gypsy cabs?

Exploitation is a small price to pay for convenience.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
These companies avoid the rules and regulations of their industry and that's a key element of their business model at the moment. Maybe they would still be very successful and be 'disruptive' to their respective industries if they weren't directly breaking the law but I guess we will never know because they don't seem to be stopping nor do most local governments seem too keen on making them stop.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Donald Trump's New York apartment empire had a No Blacks or Puerto Ricans policy in the 1970. He only wanted to rent to executives and Jews. The guy who went to the government with evidence of the racial discrimination (in the form of codes attached to lease documentation) said he was afraid to talk because Trump might... you know.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...&medium=twitter

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

shrike82 posted:

Looking at people's responses, it's pretty clear most of the people criticizing the platforms have literally never interacted with them before.

And if they have done so, they may now speak with authority concerning their business model and regulatory issues, or will you continue to assert that Bitcoin Ponzi is a legit business model because people are willing to use it?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

OK, airbnb and uber are literally bitcoin ponzi schemes. People have not gotten rides on them and not staying at residences through them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Riptor posted:

Those gypsy cabs?

My those are revolutionary improvements.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

OK, airbnb and uber are literally bitcoin ponzi schemes. People have not gotten rides on them and not staying at residences through them.

i have used uber and it suits my needs because i enjoy getting low, low prices and lots of convenience because the driver pays all the costs

it is still a hilariously bitcoinesque tale of bad venture capital money being thrown after more, also bad venture capital money

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Although I have not downloaded AirBnB on my phone, I have noticed the rise of rental prices for the "entertainment" streets in Cleveland go from 900 a month to over 2k a month in the past 2 years. Those locations now offer 150$/night (minimum of 2 nights!) air BnBs and are coincidentally run by the same person.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Joke's on you, where I live people just drive home drunk because we don't have any taxi uber poo poo. Hah!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
and desperately trying to avoid being banned in every major city or prosecuted or losing a big class action from their drivers and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

shrike82 posted:

Where I'm from there are some cattle farmers who sell meat off the books without being subject to any of the oversight and thus you can get very good meat for a less money. This is only a good deal because most people don't do it and if millions of people became meat renegades there would be tons of cases of salmonella or ecoli. The more people who shortcut the regulatory systems to save money the more dangerous it becomes and that is the core problem with Uber and Airbnb as a business model, in my opinion.

• Locked thread