Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Furnaceface posted:

Many countries across the globe are setting up infrastructure for alternate energy sources so the demand is probably not going to be as high as it once was anyway. Will it stay at $30/bbl? No. Will it shoot back up to $100/bbl? No loving chance.
Commodity prices used to be tied in some way to reality when there was a physical seller and buyer, now that wall street managed to lobby its way in to being able to speculate on commodities without ever interacting with the actual good the prices are meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Commodity prices used to be tied in some way to reality when there was a physical seller and buyer, now that wall street managed to lobby its way in to being able to speculate on commodities without ever interacting with the actual good the prices are meaningless.

True enough. Its still a commodity though and will forever be trapped in a boom/bust cycle. I just dont see oil reaching the same highs, or lows, as weve recently seen due to recent global demand for alternative energy.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Furnaceface posted:

True enough. Its still a commodity though and will forever be trapped in a boom/bust cycle. I just dont see oil reaching the same highs, or lows, as weve recently seen due to recent global demand for alternative energy.
Wouldn't that tend to drive both the highs and the lows downwards rather than reducing the magnitude of the oscillations?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys know what a big day tomorrow will be right?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Boils my blood how they keep referring to these people as "owners" or "homeowners". They don't own the land. They might own the building on the land.

This issue is why you don't lease land on a reserve. You want to rent from a semi-sovereign micro-nation that likely has little to no history of the rule of law, while not being a citizen of said nation? Then cry when said nation imposes new terms?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Murder all Realtards(tm).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

Ya it's whopper wednesday.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Franks Happy Place posted:

Sorry we meant an investment you'll appreciate every year... drat typos

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

The Fed's monthly blink isn't *that* big a deal, dude.

They're totally gonna blink.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Franks Happy Place posted:

Hey that's a pretty sweet deal if you can sue the realtor should the guarantee not work out.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tipps posted:

This is what I did around this time last year as an attempt to become An Adult, since I had a chunk of cash sitting in my chequing account for no reason. I stacked a TFSA with enough to cover a year of rent, and put the rest in mutual funds through my credit union where I continue to put in a bit every month.

In September I asked my credit union's Money Pro(tm) whether my investments are okay given oil prices dropping and lovely CAD and whatnot, and they assured me that because the majority of the holdings were in the finance industry, as opposed to energy/oil and gas, I was fine.

But then I see things like:

And it makes me panic, because I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing and what I could/should be doing differently - other than hoarding my retirement savings under my mattress.

:sigh:

The scary thing about investing in the canadian economy is how if you have index tracker investments a major of your sector allocations will be in FIRE, energy and material sectors.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
you should move your money to non-canadian stocks

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Invest in water. That's a useful resource that humans will probably continue to need.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

Invest in water. That's a useful resource that humans will probably continue to need.

Not until someone kickstarts HOylent. All the extra O's are too much effort just give me equal amounts HO and I am a daily amount of hydrated.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Not until someone kickstarts HOylent. All the extra O's are too much effort just give me equal amounts HO and I am a daily amount of hydrated.

:golfclap:

Literally everyone in Vancouver is dumb enough to follow this line of reasoning.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:getin:

quote:

DETAILED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for TORNADOES, DESTRUCTIVE WIND, LARGE HAILSTONES and HEAVY RAINFALL

For people in parts of the
Sydney area.

Issued at 10:41 am Wednesday, 16 December 2015.

THIS INCLUDES A TORNADO WARNING.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 10:40 am, very dangerous thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Sydney Airport and Maroubra. These thunderstorms are moving towards the north. Very dangerous thunderstorms are forecast to affect Sydney City, Sydney Olympic Park, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and waters off Bondi Beach by 11:10 am and Hornsby, Ryde and Terrey Hills by 11:40 am.

Tornadoes, very destructive winds, large hailstones and very heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding are likely.

Radar suggests possible tornado near Kurnell, and moving to north. Bureau confirming wind gust greater than 200 km/h reported at Kurnell 1030am

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11:40 am.

A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of the Hunter districts.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at https://www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Is it just me who is wondering what all these AUS posts have to do with the Canadian housing bubble or?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Playstation 4 posted:

Is it just me who is wondering what all these AUS posts have to do with the Canadian housing bubble or?

Both countries have basically the same issue.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Personally I enjoy the injection of the Australian perspective on this. Similar countries: commonwealth, comparable prosperity levels, economies = ripping poo poo out the ground, people = all oh-so-clever real estate speculators.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Playstation 4 posted:

Australia has an extremely similar economy to ours in a lot of ways:
  • Exposure to highly volatile resource-extraction (in their case, minerals) which are currently on a downward swing, but
  • the boom from said resource extraction has produced distorting effects in the market including a large portion of uneducated/untrained drug addicts roaming the blasted desert in search of guzzoline and arm-mounted crossbows, except for those who have jobs in
  • the FIRE industry, which is stoking the flames ever higher in the hope of continuing to inflate the property bubble, which is helped by
  • poorly overseen foreign investment in homes
  • and declining living standards as well as greatly increased personal debt which means the property bubble has to be
  • bolstered by a failing neoconservative government that destroyed lives rather than risk embarrassment or reasonably consider any opposition to their ideology
  • "but at least we're not America hur hur beer commercials"
Surprisingly, however, they aren't hosed over by ridiculous import duties by UPS, and their cellphone costs are reasonable. Dunno about internet.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 16, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

On the Australia subject, I'm surprised Clarke and Dawe haven't done a video making fun of property values. Though they did do a joke at some point about servicing debt being the new normal, instead of actually ever paying something off.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Fast thread is fast, gently caress.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Should we just rename this Commonwealth Debt Bubble Megathread: Money in the bank?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Playstation 4 posted:

Commonwealth Debt Bubble Megathread: Money in the bank?

Commonwealth Debt Bubble Megathread: Safe As Houses

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
The sun never sets on the housing empire

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

JawKnee posted:

:golfclap:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

JawKnee posted:

:vince: We've got a winner folks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

U.S. congressional leaders agreed on a fiscal plan that would avert a government shutdown and lift the 40-year-old ban on crude oil exports, House Speaker Paul Ryan told fellow Republicans during a closed-door meeting Tuesday night.

Is that good or bad for Canadia?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I think that fucks us up hardcore but I am not a cultural imperial.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is that good or bad for Canadia?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JawKnee posted:

lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Playstation 4 posted:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Australia has an extremely similar economy to ours in a lot of ways:
  • Exposure to highly volatile resource-extraction (in their case, minerals) which are currently on a downward swing, but
  • the boom from said resource extraction has produced distorting effects in the market including a large portion of uneducated/untrained drug addicts roaming the blasted desert in search of guzzoline and arm-mounted crossbows, except for those who have jobs in
  • the FIRE industry, which is stoking the flames ever higher in the hope of continuing to inflate the property bubble, which is helped by
  • poorly overseen foreign investment in homes
  • and declining living standards as well as greatly increased personal debt which means the property bubble has to be
  • bolstered by a failing neoconservative government that destroyed lives rather than risk embarrassment or reasonably consider any opposition to their ideology
  • "but at least we're not America hur hur beer commercials"
Surprisingly, however, they aren't hosed over by ridiculous import duties by UPS, and their cellphone costs are reasonable. Dunno about internet.

I thought Jim was in the thread to work as a liftee for a season or two.
Alternately, maybe he just drunkenly stumbled in here and we let him stay because he seemed nice enough and gave us reading material fairly regularly.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
wtf is a liftee?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

wtf is a liftee?

90% of Whistler's population.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jumpingmanjim posted:

wtf is a liftee?

Australias top export after coal and iron.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rime posted:

Australias top export after coal and iron.

McGavin posted:

90% of Whistler's population.

Both true. A liftee is the attendant that supervises loading on the chair lift at ski hills. Over here they are seemingly all Australians.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Happy rate hike day!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I hope you all get raped in the market today. gently caress all of you

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Even me? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

I am immune.