Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's just the immersion

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I can't imagine any video game that I'd want to play continuously for 20 years. Does he never want to try something new?

I dunno, I'm pretty rapidly approaching 20 years of playing the original StarCraft pretty regularly.

Kaitian
Jan 24, 2006

Has CIG ever heard of project management? It seems to me that there has been no project management organization at all. For example the video from theknow.tv where I saw the quote about Roberts wanting the in-game helmet system. It seems to me that they're doing "Let's think of many stupid ideas and implement them as quickly as we can" which they do great at but just terrible at organizing it in a fashionable manner. I've been observing SC for the past year which I've had people go "Ya go back SC, it'll be awesome" "Ehh I got better things to spend my money on." Turns out I made the right decision.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

I'm waiting on Beer for a line, as well as Derek Smart for his lines and video. Aside from those the audio is done.

The video side of things has not begun, I'll be trawling through YouTube for stuff.

Well at this rate it'll still be out well before whatever they end up making GBS threads out as the "That's it, doors are locked" final update for Star Citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think this sums up the thoughts of all Star Shitizens everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0248pUAteWk

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know how croberts is so shameless when selling this game to people

asspennies

think about it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaitian posted:

Has CIG ever heard of project management? It seems to me that there has been no project management organization at all. For example the video from theknow.tv where I saw the quote about Roberts wanting the in-game helmet system. It seems to me that they're doing "Let's think of many stupid ideas and implement them as quickly as we can" which they do great at but just terrible at organizing it in a fashionable manner. I've been observing SC for the past year which I've had people go "Ya go back SC, it'll be awesome" "Ehh I got better things to spend my money on." Turns out I made the right decision.

People are scared to tell Chris and Sandi roberts no

Like when people were scared to tell jorge lucas no we got the prequels

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
here's an email i got from my friend who i learned is obsessed with star citizen after i commented that the game was a joke in an email chain

quote:

You better be trolling, 'cause that's pretty far off-base. I assume you are, but I'll take the bait in case you're being serious.

First off, do you actually have an idea of what they've finished so far, or did you just read some SA-goon ejaculations or articles by lazy journalists? I've been following every single step of their development since the Kickstarter so I know exactly what's happening in every one of their offices. Every day at lunch I watch vids and read stuff about SC for the last 2+ years now. They're putting the money to extremely good use, and anybody who says otherwise is a dumbass who doesn't understand project management or the true cost of doing something at the scale they are. They have a team of 300 people working on the game now (when I pledged it was 5 people), so multiply those salaries over a few years and you can easily see why they need to have a badass marketing team raising money with ship sales (which are completely optional and can all be earned in-game, btw). Hell, they basically bought out Crytek to have them re-spec the engine to their requirements.

They're making a game unlike any that's been made in the history of Game's. They've already completely developed a space sim with the best physics-based flight model ever created (that you can play right now!), and they're merging it with a full-scale FPS and insane economic system to drive an entire in-game universe. It's going to be a giant sandbox where you can do anything you want, and your actions will have serious economic and legal consequences within the universe. They've even brought on economists and lawyers to help manage inflation and adjudicate disputes completely within the game. This is all not even mentioning the full-length AAA single player game (Squadron 42) that's included for the same price.

Even just watching the development has been an extremely insightful and inspiring experience that has directly affected the way I work on [my company]. The level of transparency they offer is completely unprecedented in the industry. That alone has been well worth it to me... I've easily learned as much about project management and computer science from following CIG as I have at my job in the last couple years.

it was seriously the most disturbing thing i have ever read

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Chalks posted:

SC is an example of a game not fit for public alpha getting pushed out the door far too early to give the illusion of hitting a milestone.
"2.0 stable is pretty outstanding."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Played for a good while with no crashes, I think some issues are server side.

Took my mustang to the security zone, some guy in a hornet attacks and kills me. Took my mustang to the security zone, see a hornet landed with guy getting back into the cockpit probably after getting the rifle, blasted him/hornet and he goes spinning off dead. Jump out of ship, go grab rifle, trying to get back into mustang but it's spinning slightly as I hadn't landed properly and I immediately fall down the ladder each time. Trying for a about the fourth time and some guy in a hornet arrives and blows my ship up. Start shooting him with the rifle and he zips off. Explore base for a while, no ship, EVA for a good while, wait till another ship appears, it's a hornet, sees me kills me.

I think it was the same guy each time, he's probably there now waiting for me and bored.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerome Louis posted:

here's an email i got from my friend who i learned is obsessed with star citizen after i commented that the game was a joke in an email chain

Not a cult

Also when people say they've followed the development closely what do they mean. All the vids shrek and skeletor put out just say when it's ready and we get no definitive answers about anything

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Not a cult

Also when people say they've followed the development closely what do they mean. All the vids shrek and skeletor put out just say when it's ready and we get no definitive answers about anything

it means they still believe

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You should ask him how he knows they're putting the money to good use and show him the posts totaling furniture costs in different screenshots. Lol. I forgot who was doing it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jerome Louis posted:

quote:

They're making a game unlike any that's been made in the history of Game's. They've already completely developed a space sim with the best physics-based flight model ever created (that you can play right now!), and they're merging it with a full-scale FPS and insane economic system to drive an entire in-game universe. It's going to be a giant sandbox where you can do anything you want, and your actions will have serious economic and legal consequences within the universe. They've even brought on economists and lawyers to help manage inflation and adjudicate disputes completely within the game.

lmao to all that, but especially the quoted part

:sever: because your friend is mentally retarded

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

quote:

lmao to all that, but especially the quoted part

:sever: because your friend is mentally retarded

He forgot to add the people they're going to hire to create 5 different space languages.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Romes128 posted:

Look, they've learned they shouldn't miss release dates as that makes everyone mad. So instead, they have decided on a very conservative approach of never saying when something will be released ever.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Bait and Swatch posted:

That's just the immersion

i'm dying. :lol:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Look, they've learned they shouldn't miss release dates as that makes everyone mad. So instead, they have decided on a very conservative approach of never saying when something will be released ever.

His I'm the ceo of a game company. Thanks for giving me 100 million dollars. Sorry, I can't tell you when the game will come out, it's only been four years. Wait a little longer.

People think this is acceptable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Romes128 posted:

He forgot to add the people they're going to hire to create 5 different space languages.

oh right that stupid stretch goal. yea we are going to make 3 unique alien languages that you can actually talk and understand in. NO SUBTITLES

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Romes128 posted:

His I'm the ceo of a game company. Thanks for giving me 100 million dollars. Sorry, I can't tell you when the game will come out, it's only been four years. Wait a little longer.

People think this is acceptable.

To the tune of cheering for it. Ahh Citcon was good times this year.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
How do we know its the most transparent financials/development of a video ever if we've never had that before? :tinfoil:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Jerome Louis posted:

You better be trolling, 'cause that's pretty far off-base. I assume you are, but I'll take the bait in case you're being serious.

First off, do you actually have an idea of what they've finished so far, or did you just read some SA-goon ejaculations or articles by lazy journalists? I've been following every single step of their development since the Kickstarter so I know exactly what's happening in every one of their offices. Every day at lunch I watch vids and read stuff about SC for the last 2+ years now. They're putting the money to extremely good use, and anybody who says otherwise is a dumbass who doesn't understand project management or the true cost of doing something at the scale they are. They have a team of 300 people working on the game now (when I pledged it was 5 people), so multiply those salaries over a few years and you can easily see why they need to have a badass marketing team raising money with ship sales (which are completely optional and can all be earned in-game, btw). Hell, they basically bought out Crytek to have them re-spec the engine to their requirements.

They're making a game unlike any that's been made in the history of Game's. They've already completely developed a space sim with the best physics-based flight model ever created (that you can play right now!), and they're merging it with a full-scale FPS and insane economic system to drive an entire in-game universe. It's going to be a giant sandbox where you can do anything you want, and your actions will have serious economic and legal consequences within the universe. They've even brought on economists and lawyers to help manage inflation and adjudicate disputes completely within the game. This is all not even mentioning the full-length AAA single player game (Squadron 42) that's included for the same price.

Even just watching the development has been an extremely insightful and inspiring experience that has directly affected the way I work on [my company]. The level of transparency they offer is completely unprecedented in the industry. That alone has been well worth it to me... I've easily learned as much about project management and computer science from following CIG as I have at my job in the last couple years.

jfc, are these guys all reading from the same pamphlet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

phosdex posted:

It's like the Jehova witnesses, they all have the papers to indoctrinate others.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

hue. you found my poll.

in my defense, most of the bitchfits tend to be the PvE immersionfag entitled fucks, and I am sick of seeing them.

honestly I am surprised I got that positive of a response.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 16, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

phosdex posted:

It is remarkably similar to a lot of the RSI forum and SC Reddit posts I've been seeing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I know how croberts is so shameless when selling this game to people

asspennies

think about it

Are you saying those jpegs have been in his rear end?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

hanales posted:

Are you saying those jpegs have been in his rear end?

Ben sure as hell can't pull them out of his, so by default...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I love mince pies

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Every lunch i watch star citizen videos, for 2 years

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Jerome Louis posted:

Ask him how much he's spent.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305606/holiday-sale-details/p1

Sale time, yipee!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Disco Lando posted:

Greetings Citizens!

Santa Lando here with some important ship-buying notifications.

To celebrate the holidays, we are selling a limited number of Idris-P AND Javelin, in batches, at six hour intervals.

The Javelin will be sold in a total 200 allotment keeping in line with the relative population growth and ship distribution since it's last sale. It will cost $2500.

The Idris-P will be sold in a total 120 allotment keeping in line with the relative population growth and ship distribution since it's last sale. It will cost $1250.

1ST BATCH: 12/16 @ 1200 PST (2000 UTC) 50 JAVELIN and 60 IDRIS-P
2ND BATCH: 12/16 @ 1800 PST (0200 UTC) 50 JAVELIN
3RD BATCH: 12/17 @ 0000 PST (0800 UTC) 50 JAVELIN and 60 IDRIS-P
4TH BATCH: 12/17 @ 0600 PST (1400 UTC) 50 JAVELIN

Of course, the Holiday Livestream will start tomorrow at 1100 PST (1900 UTC)

See you then!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Happy holidays, our gift to you is letting you give us more money for jpegs. Ho Ho Ho you dumb shits :smug:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
oh hi guys im sandi gardiner and i can do literally everything;

https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...dgcfjjinfhimecg

also when the gently caress was she in fireflies?

also notice the lack of education on her resume, lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
$650,000 if they all sell.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

[url=https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/305606/holiday-sale-details]

Lmao this is so scummy

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Aurra posted:

So I got a recruitment spam message in Star Citizen. I don't know what to think of this. :psyberger:

vampires and dragons? i predict lots of yiffing and age of consent threads

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Romes128 posted:

oh hi guys im sandi gardiner and i can do literally everything;

https://web.archive.org/web/2007110...dgcfjjinfhimecg

also when the gently caress was she in fireflies?

also notice the lack of education on her resume, lol

Languages
FILIPINO, FRENCH, GERMAN, INDONESIAN, ITALIAN, JAPANESE, SPANISH, TAGALOG

Lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Holiday Sale Details

ship-buying

selling a limited number of Idris-P AND Javelin

Pursuant to the terms of your agreement (see Sec. 4 of the Commercial Terms, and Sec. IV.A of the subsequent Terms of Service, as applicable, https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos), your payment was a deposit to be used for the “Game Cost” (as defined therein), and such deposit has since been “earned by CIG and become non-refundable to the extent that it is used for the Game Cost...” You further agreed to “irrevocably waive any claim for refund of any deposit amount that has been used for the Game Cost and Pledge Item Cost in accordance with the above.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

I really like the occasional lucid backer posts. Fun to wonder how they fell into this hot mess and why they haven't got a refund yet

• Locked thread