Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Great LP, loads of fun and a delight to watch both actively and passively. Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Glad you guys enjoyed it! Although, only now do I realize, that I should have held the last video hostage until I could extort some money out of you rubes. Missed opportunities, smh.

FPzero posted:

Are you still going forward with the plans for the randomizer run?

Yeah, I'm just wondering when I should get it going. I might not start it until after all the holidays, but maybe around the holidays is actually a good time to start! Not sure. Also I don't think I'm gonna make a new thread for it, unless there's a good reason to.

By the way, I'm gonna take this time to plug some poo poo. Not my poo poo though. If you want to learn a little more about Majora's Mask glitches and speedrunning, ZeldaSpeedRuns has a lot of good stuff, though it's a bit old and not updated nearly as much as the OoT stuff. It's also down a whole lot. But ZSR has a lot of decent links to tricks in all the games, and it's where I learned a lot of the stuff I showed off.

All the other stuff I learned from watching streams and youtube! A lot of tricks get shared through youtube and twitch channels rather than ZSR sometimes. Kaztalek on youtube has a ton of obscure MM glitches, plenty of stuff I didn't or couldn't show off. GlitchesAndStuff also has some good stuff, I worked out the Weird B bottle stuff from his videos. Check those out if you want to see more weird poo poo!

And as a special note, a new glitch was found in MM a day or two ago! Or rather, a new consequence of an old glitch, our good ol' friend 0th day. Check out an implementation of it here. Turns out if you revert to 0th day on a specific frame when the game is trying to load an area, you get set to some kind of default entrance of the map you're in. In this case he does it when it's trying to load the fairy fountain again after dying, and instead of putting him at the Ikana fountain like it should, it set him back to the default Clocktown one (since if you remember, they are on the same map). Cool stuff. Had this been found when I recorded I would have totally tried to do this to get to Clocktown faster.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 9, 2015

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
LPs that break games like this fully reinforce the potential of what an LP can be. This was awesome, much like your previous LP.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ubiquitous_ posted:

LPs that break games like this fully reinforce the potential of what an LP can be. This was awesome, much like your previous LP.

I've never enjoyed any LP more than I have the game breaking ones. Thanks for this wild ride through Termina, Doc. I'm still going through your OoT run and its pretty good.

I hope I'm not derailing too much here but I want to ask about other LPs like this one. Any recommendations? I've seen FF2 by Gabriel Pope, Link's Awakening by MeccaPrime, and Pokemon Blue by Metroixer and they're all pretty fantastic.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Secret of Evermore LP kinda exploits the game, but in a minor way. Sort of. It's basically Kaz harnessing the power of demons to further his pact with the great lord through the power of accidentally underflow -> overflow integers in game code, but it's still breaking the game in half but still progressing normally. Not major game breaking, just some good ol-fashioned game breaking.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I especially liked the part where you played the game wrong.

What I meant to ask a long time ago but kept forgetting: are there any entry-level glitches and techniques you could recommend people new to the whole "breaking games" thing? I'd say the goron bomb hop over fences should be easy enough to replicate, for example, with possibly great results; not on 3DS though, as you mentioned. Or warping to unactivated owl statues (does that work on 3DS?). I don't know how easy bomb hovering actually is, in contrast, or if storing the song of time is actually worth it to casually break a few things (tbqh after a while you lose track of what you did for what reason; was it really a huge skip, or did you HAVE to do it because you had overwritten your hookshot with the deku princess or whatever???).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The power of devils, sir or madam, you should only be making pacts with lawful evil. 8V

But yes, just to reiterate, both of these LPs were fantastic, and I look forward to hearing more about this randomizer run idea. Metroid randomizers are pretty fun already, it'd be interesting to see just how odd one would get in MM.

On the 'entry-level glitches' thing, it varies by game, but I'd say for MM and OoT, you want to play around with the Infinite Sword Glitch. It's relatively easy in many versions (most versions?) of the games, is pretty fun to goof off with, and is integral to setting up some of the trickier glitches.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 9, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Mak0rz posted:

I've never enjoyed any LP more than I have the game breaking ones. Thanks for this wild ride through Termina, Doc. I'm still going through your OoT run and its pretty good.

I hope I'm not derailing too much here but I want to ask about other LPs like this one. Any recommendations? I've seen FF2 by Gabriel Pope, Link's Awakening by MeccaPrime, and Pokemon Blue by Metroixer and they're all pretty fantastic.

The Let's Break FF6 thread was a must-read.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

It seems like 2015 has been the year of the 3D Zelda Let's Plays, but you did something really special with it. The community for playing around these glitches is tiny and insular compared to how many of us have played these games, and you did a phenomenal job of showing us all something that was truly new to most of us despite being very familiar at the same time. Thanks for this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

George posted:

The Let's Break FF6 thread was a must-read.

Oh right! I don't think I've seen the whole thing but what I read was great. I'll check it out!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Great LP, just like the last one. Looking forward to the randomizer run! Are you going to post it in here or start a new thread?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Montalvo posted:

Great LP, just like the last one. Looking forward to the randomizer run! Are you going to post it in here or start a new thread?

DoctorKill posted:

Also I don't think I'm gonna make a new thread for it, unless there's a good reason to.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Simply Simon posted:

I especially liked the part where you played the game wrong.

What I meant to ask a long time ago but kept forgetting: are there any entry-level glitches and techniques you could recommend people new to the whole "breaking games" thing? I'd say the goron bomb hop over fences should be easy enough to replicate, for example, with possibly great results; not on 3DS though, as you mentioned. Or warping to unactivated owl statues (does that work on 3DS?). I don't know how easy bomb hovering actually is, in contrast, or if storing the song of time is actually worth it to casually break a few things (tbqh after a while you lose track of what you did for what reason; was it really a huge skip, or did you HAVE to do it because you had overwritten your hookshot with the deku princess or whatever???).

The goron hop is a good beginner trick yeah, it's really easy. Hold A to curl, hop up, then let go of A in the air, and you just learn how to time that. Infinite sword glitch is pretty easy to trigger too, you just need to 'interrupt' a crouch stab with something. You can stand next to a sign and just stab, and press A near the end of it. I time my button press every time but you can just mash A to make it a little easier. It's not too hard doing it with a bomb too, but you have a time limit obviously, and you need to make sure to let go of shield while picking up the bomb or else you'll crouch again right after you get it, and that ends the glitch. Since you're on PAL that might make ISG a little harder but I don't know for sure, you should still be able to do it.

Bomb boosting off ledges is pretty simple, recoiling off bombs should be feasible, just shield and backflip when a bomb is about to explode, and let go of the analog stick when you get it (holding down ruins the recoil). Hovering is way easier in Majora's Mask so you could attempt it, but it's not as easy as the stuff I just mentioned. You need fast inputs, backflip - chu - shield, to go vertically up against walls. Super slides aren't too bad but you'd have to look up the timing or just experiment a lot, it would be a bit tough for me to explain.

That zora thing, I guess? Where I glitch forward? Hold Z, have your fins out, and press A to jump attack, then start holding B in the middle of it. You can glitch through some corners to get out of bounds with that, though I didn't do that anywhere. Shooting fire arrows with your deku stick is actually pretty simple, take out the bow, crouch in front of a sign, then press deku stick and A (to read the sign) one frame after another. So just really quick. Press stick again to take out the stick, then press it again and hold, and he'll nock an arrow. You could manage to get powder keg early that way, the way I did it, which would let you get Epona. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ARROWS IN YOUR INVENTORY OR THE GAME CRASHES.

I dunno, there's a lot of small things you could probably mess around with, just go and try to replicate it if you think it looked cool and easy enough. Ultimately you'll have to practice some of this stuff a bit though, to get the timing or positioning right. It's all fun though.

Oh yeah and song storage is not tough to trigger but probably a bit tough to make good use of. All the times I used it were to trigger 0th day (which isn't a beginner trick) or to save and reset the game flags without the full cutscene, which probably isn't necessary for casual glitching. And I have no idea if that owl glitch still works on 3DS, there's no bomb hovering so you couldn't get to where it is. Plus, they moved the statue! So they probably don't even need a fake one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
This was a great LP. Thanks for doing it!

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
A short but awesome LP.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
That was a Hell of a ride. I'm glad I got to come along for it.

This will make my eventual attempt to play Majora's Mask for real a lot more surreal.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
This has been an awesome LP to watch and participate in, thanks for coming up with the idea and for the amazing execution!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

D'oh. Thanks.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

DoctorKill posted:

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Although, only now do I realize, that I should have held the last video hostage until I could extort some money out of you rubes. Missed opportunities, smh.

Yeah but you're DoctorKill, not to be confused with DoctorBill, who is always charging us for our entertainment.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Hey everyone, I have an important message about the Randomizer LP. The randomizer doesn't just randomize the items uniquely every time you start a new game - it requires a seed value, and what it uses is the file name. A particular file name will always result in the items being randomized the same way.

So right now I task you fine people to vote on a file name for the randomizer LP! Just type a name (in bold) you think will be funny and I'll tally them up right before I start recording. Zelda file names are alphanumeric, both lower and upper case, with a max size of 8 characters. There are also these characters: . - and an empty character. So those are your limitations.

There is one rule though. It... it can't be Obama. I'm sorry everyone, but it just can't. I've already done that file name! In fact, it's a good idea to avoid any and all presidential candidates, past or present. I've played through a lot of them.

Edit: Sorry, also maybe avoid "Link", I've seen a little bit of that one too.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2015

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Be "umm, Guy" and travel through a world where no one actually bothers to learn your name.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My vote is for "fucker" or "Hitler ", or possibly just "Lunk"

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Bismarck

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As is traditional in Zelda LP:s, the hero ought to be named BONER.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

This is a good one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

amabO

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Wauigi

or Groose

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Let's go with Hermes

He also ran around in the sky

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Let's just call it what it is, shall we? Wronger

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Majora

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Minora

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I would joke vote for DONGs, but

I like this.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Also I'm glad that Chad had a happy ending

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ZELDUH

smax
Nov 9, 2009

There's always the classic: dongs

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FicusArt posted:

Be "umm, Guy" and travel through a world where no one actually bothers to learn your name.

I'm down with this. LoZ games are some of the best for terrible name substitution jokes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FicusArt posted:

I'm good with this.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Thirding umm, Guy.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Linkle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

There is one rule though. It... it can't be Obama. I'm sorry everyone, but it just can't. I've already done that file name! In fact, it's a good idea to avoid any and all presidential candidates, past or present. I've played through a lot of them.

I just have to say, this is kind of funny all by itself.

Edit: changing my vote to Wrong because that fits the LP better.

EllipsisBreak fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 17, 2015

• Locked thread