Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

iZombie is really fun if you want a super silly crime show about a zombie mortician who can have visions of a victims last moments by eating their brains.

I actually enjoyed iZombie a lot more than I thought I would. So I'll triple down on this recommendation (someone recommended it a few weeks ago which is why I watched it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question for the people with Hulu:

Does the selection of Criterion movies cycle around or anything? There's a ton of good stuff on there, but obviously not everything. Do they rotate movies in and out, or is it just a static library that they are adding to over time? Just wanna know if I should be worried about movies disappearing from my queue or anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Question for the people with Hulu:

Does the selection of Criterion movies cycle around or anything? There's a ton of good stuff on there, but obviously not everything. Do they rotate movies in and out, or is it just a static library that they are adding to over time? Just wanna know if I should be worried about movies disappearing from my queue or anything.

I've had it for about 9 months and haven't seen any Criterions drop off yet. I do wish they'd add some of the more recent stuff(Wes Anderson primarily) but I understand why they don't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rob The Mob is on Netflix and I really enjoyed it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Gerdalti posted:

I actually enjoyed iZombie a lot more than I thought I would. So I'll triple down on this recommendation (someone recommended it a few weeks ago which is why I watched it).

iZombie is good stuff. Definitely not as good as Veronica Mars but definitely good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Amazon Prime for January:

January 1st

Bone Tomahawk
Thundercats
Annie
The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water
Paper Planes
Miracle On 34th Street
The Da Vinci Code
Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Taps
An Affair To Remember
The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre
Dazed And Confused

January 4th

Breakfast At Tiffany’s
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Margin Call
Serpico

January 5th

January 8th

Hot Tub Time Machine

January 9th

Goodnight Mommy

January 11th

All Creatures Big And Small

January 13th

The Missing

January 14th

The Second Mother

January 16th

Frank Miller’s Sin City
Spare Parts

January 23

Mortdecai

January 26th

Man Of Tai Chi

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
1408? Hell yes. That movie is a great adaptation of a creepy as hell short story.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am super-hyped about Bone Tomahawk. Awesome!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also: I didn't know anything about Phoenix when I threw it on, but it's pretty great. Owes a lot to Hitchcock specifically Vertigo and noirs in general, but it's gorgeous and terrifically acted. The premise is sort of improbable but if you're willing to meet it halfway you'll probably like it. Good review here if you want it.

It's up on Netflix.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

morestuff posted:

January 9th

Goodnight Mommy

This movie is extra hosed up. Definitely worth a watch for the horror crowd. It's the one movie I've seen this year that actually made me squirm in my seat. Shame the big twist is such an easy guess, but it doesn't detract from what makes the movie great.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Rob The Mob is on Netflix and I really enjoyed it.

One of my faves. If you like that genre, look for The Take starring A young Tom Hardy. It's not on netflix/hulu/amazon (at least I think so) but it's so worth a watch if you find it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Netflix recently added a really good documentary called The Thread, which is about an Internet manhunt for the Boston bombers. It's a fascinating look not only at vigilante justice in the Internet era, but also how this affected real news sources like CNN and "real" news sources like Buzzfeed, and why the immediacy of Internet news is not the best thing in the world. It's only an hour long, so definitely check it out.

If you want to really cringe at Reddit, this is the documentary for you. The guy who finds out where the terrorists are and goes to chase them down and "get answers" is just amazing, especially because he ends the documentary completely oblivious to how loving stupid he was and how they made him look using nothing but his own words and some Reddit posts. Yes, even Reddit users were telling him to go the gently caress home. I almost turned it off because in some parts in the beginning, it almost seems like they're glorifying Buzzfeed, which I couldn't stand for. The real meat is in the back half of the film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

speshl guy posted:

Oh... oh my God... I have been owned :fuckoff:

uhh.. so anyway for those who enjoyed The Man from Nowhere the director has another film on netflix in a similar vein called No Tears For the Dead and it follows a lot of the same beats but manages to be a little darker, at the cost of not being as endearing as the former.

Oh thanks, I liked Man from Nowhere a lot.

Are the guys that did New World doing anything else / any sequels because that was one of films I enjoyed the most this year.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BJPaskoff posted:

If you want to really cringe at Reddit, this is the documentary for you. The guy who finds out where the terrorists are and goes to chase them down and "get answers" is just amazing, especially because he ends the documentary completely oblivious to how loving stupid he was and how they made him look using nothing but his own words and some Reddit posts. Yes, even Reddit users were telling him to go the gently caress home. I almost turned it off because in some parts in the beginning, it almost seems like they're glorifying Buzzfeed, which I couldn't stand for. The real meat is in the back half of the film.

There's an amazing bit with that kid where they show a guy saying something about the people who misidentified the terrorists not going outside, and then it cuts to the kid in a parking lot looking at his iPad. I don't think it was glorifying Buzzfeed, Buzzfeed's kinda there so the film can point to the dire state of Internet news, that a website known for clickbait and listicles, was one of the better news sources for this story.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I want to chime in more support for "A Very Murray Christmas". I'm a bit too young for the celebrity sing along holiday specials but just old enough to remember them being a part of the cultural zeitgeist. I thought it was worth it for Buster Poindexter and Jenny Lewis singing, an admittedly edited, version of Fairytale of New York

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am super-hyped about Bone Tomahawk. Awesome!

You may want to temper that excitement....

red19fire
May 26, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There's an amazing bit with that kid where they show a guy saying something about the people who misidentified the terrorists not going outside, and then it cuts to the kid in a parking lot looking at his iPad. I don't think it was glorifying Buzzfeed, Buzzfeed's kinda there so the film can point to the dire state of Internet news, that a website known for clickbait and listicles, was one of the better news sources for this story.

This was incredible to watch in real time, I should probably give the doc a shot. I just remember a lot of redditors getting hyped up about THIS IS OUR CHANCE TO CATCH REAL TERRORISTS WE'RE GOING TO DO IT BECAUSE THE COLLECTIVE HIVEMIND IS BETTER THAN THE FBI BECAUSE WE'VE ALL SEEN CSI ON NETFLIX and a lot of screen caps from the marathon with faces circled in mspaint.

And like hours later there were a ton of press releases from the police saying pretty much 'congrats, idiots, you found off duty cops'.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

That Works posted:

Oh thanks, I liked Man from Nowhere a lot.

Are the guys that did New World doing anything else / any sequels because that was one of films I enjoyed the most this year.

Park Hoon-jung's next film is called The Tiger and stars Choi Min-sik. Premieres literally tomorrow in South Korea so maybe in a few months...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

morestuff posted:

Amazon Prime for January:

January 1st

Bone Tomahawk
Thundercats
Annie
The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water
Paper Planes
Miracle On 34th Street
The Da Vinci Code
Journey To The Center Of The Earth
Taps
An Affair To Remember
The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre
Dazed And Confused

January 4th

Breakfast At Tiffany’s
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Margin Call
Serpico

January 5th

January 8th

Hot Tub Time Machine

January 9th

Goodnight Mommy

January 11th

All Creatures Big And Small

January 13th

The Missing

January 14th

The Second Mother

January 16th

Frank Miller’s Sin City
Spare Parts

January 23

Mortdecai

January 26th

Man Of Tai Chi

Man of Tai Chi owns, Tiger Hu Chen is loving awesome.

Bone Tomahawk wasn't really good enough to deserve a bolding, and I was pretty sad Sid Haig was only in it for about the space of one long held breath. The Burrowers was way better set and way more intense, despite a lesser casting line-up. BT isn't bad but Burrowers was a way better old west horror, imho.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

coyo7e posted:

Did you ever hear about Red Dead Redemption

My google-fu is strong tonight http://skippable.tumblr.com/post/93538543582/the-x-files

Tbh the skippable list and mythology episode list are one and the same. Some of the early stuff isn't too bad, but around S03 the mythology stuff gets really stupid imo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Bone Tomahawk is such a pro-click. One of the creepiest movies I've seen in a while.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bone Tomahawk is such a pro-click. One of the creepiest movies I've seen in a while.

Yeah there's one scene that starts off the third act that is way more brutal and gory than anything I have seen in a minute.

Edit: I just realized both Patrick Wilson and the guy who plays Hanzee from Fargo are both in this and Fargo S2 as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sid Haig and David Arquette are in it too! And die horribly!!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You don't have to wait for Bone Tomahawk to hit Amazon Prime to see David Arquette die horribly in a Cannibal Western, you can watch Ravenous on Netflix right now.

Do it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It just occurred to me that David Arquette dies in both of the cannibal Westerns he's in and that owns. He's like the cannibal Western equivalent of Sean Bean.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Sid Haig and David Arquette are in it too! And die horribly!!
The person in Bone Tomahawk (2015) I totally didn't recognise until I saw her name in the credits was Sean Young.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Best Offer Beautiful movie, Geoffrey Rush, Donald Sutherland, and some lady. Score by Ennio Morricone, is great.
The acting is decent for the supporting cast.
loving hate this movie. Pretentious. I don't know where to began. A very wealthy loner of a auctioneer and art collector is hired by a recluse to auction much of her belongings to make ends meet. What I ended up with was was a lovely m.night bullshitavoid unless you love seeing these actors, and good music.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

There was some bBack Mirror / Top of The Lake discussion on the last page. Any recommendations for something similar that's streaming, but a movie instead of a tv show?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

There was some bBack Mirror / Top of The Lake discussion on the last page. Any recommendations for something similar that's streaming, but a movie instead of a tv show?

Pontypool

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Seent it, p. good movie though that I suggest everyone watch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Ex Machina is on Amazon Prime.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

In the Loop / Four Lions ?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched F is for Family so you don't have to. It's utter trash, seriously. Shallow characters, predictable plots, "ironic" racism that is so bad it becomes actual racism, and stilted animation.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Do you like Bill Burr's comedy standup?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hal Hartley's Ned Rifle is on Netflix now. I think it's his best film since Henry Fool, maybe his best ever though for certain reasons Trust will always have a special place in my heart.

If you haven't seen Henry Fool or Fay Grim, Ned Rifle will still basically make sense but obviously knowledge of the first two will enrich the experience of the finale. Thomas Jay Ryan really loving kills it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Age of Ultron is on Netflix canada.

I watched it the day after watching Mad Max Fury Road, and all I could think of during was how much more I'd have enjoyed watching Fury Road again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Do you like Bill Burr's comedy standup?

I love Bill Burr. I kind of enjoyed F is for Family. It wasn't amazing, but the first episode had some solid laughs.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Netflix UK put up some weird Scottish comedy sketch shows Limmy's Show and Burnistoun. Limmy watched a lot of Mr. Show with Bob & David after his first season and felt justified to go 100% sillyfuns after so it's a real shame people only have the chance to see the only season he is a little unsure and the show is a little pedestrian. Hopefully we get the other seasons up ASAP.

Burnistoun is not as mad or clever as Limmy's Show but better than most sketch shows if you can get your head around the Scottish accent.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
For fans of true crime documentaries like The Stair Case, The Jinx and Paradise Lost watch Making a Murderer. I am seven episodes in and it is amazing.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tainen posted:

For fans of true crime documentaries like The Stair Case, The Jinx and Paradise Lost watch Making a Murderer. I am seven episodes in and it is amazing.

How did I not know Netflix made a true crime show? That's extremely my poo poo.