Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I want to roll a 2h flicker but at least on paper cyclone seems to be way less of a hassle. Running blood rage for frenzy charges is worth it either way, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Arzachel posted:

I want to roll a 2h flicker but at least on paper cyclone seems to be way less of a hassle. Running blood rage for frenzy charges is worth it either way, right?

If you can reliably handle blood rage in any capacity you should use it. 4% attack or cast speed and 4% more damage per charge is great.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
More dumb questions, most crit builds I've looked at skimp on crit multiplier nodes. What do they use to make up for this, the crit damage support gem? Also, how much less necessary is mana/mana regen for casters compared to Warbands?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'd say mana regen is more important now than in earlier seasons because it scales better with the bigger mana pools. What is less important now is getting EB on every character that uses mana.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Arzachel posted:

More dumb questions, most crit builds I've looked at skimp on crit multiplier nodes. What do they use to make up for this, the crit damage support gem? Also, how much less necessary is mana/mana regen for casters compared to Warbands?

What nodes? I think Throatseeker is not in a great place on the tree and can be skipped just fine but for all the other crit/crit multi wheels if there's an option to take a route that uses 1 extra point to get to the important notable in the wheel and you get crit multi for it, every build does it. Crit damage support gem actually isn't that important now and is pretty much in line with all the other supports you could use. But trying to get to something in the 400-500% crit multi range with Maligaro's and a high crit multi amulet is still a goal of most crit builds. The ones that really push it go up to like 700%+.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Have you been looking at elemental crit stuff? I've made some builds* where I wasn't too worried about crit multi because I just wanted to stack burning/shocked/chilled/frozen all over the place.

*not very good builds...

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Man GGG's balance team or whoever does it is really daft at times.

The curse quality nerf is the latest in a bunch of hamfisted, bad "fixes" to a problem they've done. What should have been done is an actual hard cap, or harsh diminishing returns on how much you can slow enemies, exactly like was done with stun threshold back when kripp made his permastun build. But nope, just make the quality bonuses worthless and hope we don't add another slow effect in the future that brings the whole problem back again.

The ghost "fix" was just as dumb - instead of putting a cap on how many targets a single ghost could hit, or how many ghosts could hit a single mob, just poo poo on the rarity of normal mobs making ghosts worthless the majority of the time.

Melee splash being killed while cyclone, reave etc were left alone, arc and incinerate being alternately nerfed and unnerffed over and over, ele prolif being killed and then replaced with a chaos version, the list goes on.

I love this game but god drat there are some insane responses from the developers to things.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah the curse change is really sad to me since I actually own a 20/23 temp chains in standard.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
From Reddit, the t4 unique amulet:

Also they're undoing the curse changes. Replacing by capping action speed reduction to 75% (so you can still get 100% reduced move speed I guess).
Apparently they're changing curses more extensively (and the hotfix was just them implementing one of their future plans immediately) for 2.2.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 15, 2015

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Thats good

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Holyshoot posted:

I am running one on my guy. I can get 50 guys out(without vaal haste running) and it's working out well so far with the gear I have. Look up tonic317 and the character name is PlayingOnMyTablet if you want to see my current spec.

Thanks for this, checking your profile out got me up and running. Also, I have heard that SRS is terrible early on, but I started using it as soon as I could buy it from the vendor and it's working just fine for me.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Jester Mcgee posted:

Thanks for this, checking your profile out got me up and running. Also, I have heard that SRS is terrible early on, but I started using it as soon as I could buy it from the vendor and it's working just fine for me.

They reworked SRS this patch to make it more viable for levelling but slightly less powerful at end game.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Nice to hear:

quote:

In a few hours, we will deploy a hotfix that undoes the curse changes in yesterday's hotfix. It will introduce a cap of 75% to the action speed reduction caused by Temporal Chains and to the effects of Enfeeble.

We shouldn't have made such a large balance modification within a challenge league. This new cap solves the exploit case without affecting most other players.

We want people to understand that this change wasn't made as a knee-jerk reaction, it was a balance change that was discussed during the development of 2.1.0 and was omitted from the initial deploy. There are numerous ways that the current curse system is holding us back, so we will review it extensively for 2.2.0 next year.

But if they put this detail out with the actual hotfix as a sort of "this is a temporary thing, here is why we're doing it...", this whole drama would have been avoided.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ultima66 posted:

What nodes? I think Throatseeker is not in a great place on the tree and can be skipped just fine but for all the other crit/crit multi wheels if there's an option to take a route that uses 1 extra point to get to the important notable in the wheel and you get crit multi for it, every build does it. Crit damage support gem actually isn't that important now and is pretty much in line with all the other supports you could use. But trying to get to something in the 400-500% crit multi range with Maligaro's and a high crit multi amulet is still a goal of most crit builds. The ones that really push it go up to like 700%+.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Throatseeker cluster. 400% seems way high though, since most I can reasonably get out of my passives is ~100-130%, Maligaro's and perfect mods on amulet and both weapons and Assasin's mark would still add only 210% on top.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The theorycrafting on Reddit about that T4 unique amulet is pretty nuts. 100% crit, 50% crit multi amulet is a lot of dps, but where it gets really insane is the elemental conversion mods. An amulet with both 50% lightning -> fire and 50% cold -> fire, doubled and on a max fire resist build gives you essentially elemental immunity. Combine that with Lightning Coil, one of the Warband 10% phys -> fire Helms and Taste of Hate gives you incredible phys reduction also.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Arzachel posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of the Throatseeker cluster. 400% seems way high though, since most I can reasonably get out of my passives is ~100-130%, Maligaro's and perfect mods on amulet and both weapons and Assasin's mark would still add only 210% on top.

The way crit multi works is it multiplies your base crit multi (150%) to whatever amount you have. So if you have +170% crit multi on gear and tree, you end up with 270% of your base crit multi, so 2.7 * 1.5 = 4.05.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

I had planned to take dual totems up to 60-70 and then respec out of it. I found that by mid 50's SRS was doing well and I picked up a 5l staff without + skills and was able to level easily with two other people so I specced out of the totems earlier then normal.

I picked up a pledge of hands the other night and now I need to 6 socket 5l/6l it and will be using an empower gem in it. Should work out well.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Wow holy poo poo apparently you can use Bino's Kitchen Knife + Consuming Dark + Infernal Mantle with the poison support gem to get a very big poison DoT on a fire spell, then Bino's will proliferate that poison stack when the monster dies. It looks like it kills things extremely fast with Flameblast but the radius on Bino's spreading poison is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ7uHaUJQNQ

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Can I make a lightning warp/flicker strike cast on crit build yet?

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 16, 2015

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Washout posted:

Can I make a lightning warp/flicker strike cast on crit build yet?

No, you will throw up/have seizures, so they don't allow it.

(This thread suggests it will work. I guess it might be useful if you are having trouble sustaining frenzy charges to just Flicker Strike continuously; the Lightning Warp will yank you away from wherever you were and make monsters miss.)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ultima66 posted:

Wow holy poo poo apparently you can use Bino's Kitchen Knife + Consuming Dark + Infernal Mantle with the poison support gem to get a very big poison DoT on a fire spell, then Bino's will proliferate that poison stack when the monster dies. It looks like it kills things extremely fast with Flameblast but the radius on Bino's spreading poison is low.

The coolest thing is you don't need to Chance to Ignite. Just 1-stack on a single mob, and the proliferate will melt the trash.

Considering the magnitude of the chaos/dot/poison nodes around Shadow, this could be legitimately viable. I wonder how this would look on a more sanely-geared character.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Kild posted:

Echo doesn't work on totems.

Hauki posted:

Echo doesn't work on totems.

edit: but it works on posts

I found this way funnier than I should have.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Ultima66 posted:

That poor map boss. :psyduck:
One-shotted. Utterly defeated, dead.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Also he says when he just throws down a no charge Flameblast on something at point blank the Bino's trigger regenerates like 40000 life this is amazing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I can't seem to get the Neversink filter to work. I'm placing the file in the right place with the right extension, yet there's no filter option in the menu.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Azran posted:

I can't seem to get the Neversink filter to work. I'm placing the file in the right place with the right extension, yet there's no filter option in the menu.

Are you using notepad++ instead of notepad.

Is the file extension correct? Toggle off 'Hide extensions for known filetypes'

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Ultima66 posted:

Also he says when he just throws down a no charge Flameblast on something at point blank the Bino's trigger regenerates like 40000 life this is amazing.

That's bananas.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ultima66 posted:

Is there a thread or something w/a build?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Here lies Rodenttt. He wasnt paying attention in a beyond map. Oh well, it was a good run.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The character is Anapoe over here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Alanti/characters

He doesn't make actual threads with build guides or anything. It has some really insane gear, with a +1 all gems Infernal Mantle and lvl 4 Empower. The character was converted from a pure chaos incinerate Blood Magic character so that's why it has so much life. Also while looking to see if he did make a build I found that the guy did make a guide for his Chaos Incinerator, also without ever making a thread listing actual skill tree or gear or anything, and ran Incinerate without LMP or GMP which is pretty hilariously bad.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I'm going to try Point Blank Iron Grip Chin Sol Blast Rain Marauder. I want to do a ranged attack build that's tanky and has good clear speed.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

TheRat posted:

Here lies Rodenttt. He wasnt paying attention in a beyond map. Oh well, it was a good run.

Here lies me, fought daresso late at night while tired and sat in a bladecloud for 5 seconds going duh huh damage??

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

at this point if you aren't just giving that stingy with the flask charges rear end in a top hat daresso a deadhand talisman you are doing it wrong

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

NecroMonster posted:

at this point if you aren't just giving that stingy with the flask charges rear end in a top hat daresso a deadhand talisman you are doing it wrong
...I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Is there anything you can't give a talisman to?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

theshim posted:

I've never had success getting vagan to pick one up, although that could just be how awesomely bad NPCs are sometimes at grabbing those things.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

theshim posted:

I've had several specific exiles absolutely ignore talismans for minutes at a time as I kited around it which is really annoying because of the challenge. Other than that, anything seems to pick them given enough opportunity.

Also RIP rodent.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is the goon guild still active? This might be the third time I rejoin it but goddamn they finally introduced servers close to my region and that, added to Lockstep, have made the game much more enjoyable.

LordAdakos posted:

Are you using notepad++ instead of notepad.

Is the file extension correct? Toggle off 'Hide extensions for known filetypes'

Goddamnit, this was the issue.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Azran posted:

Is the goon guild still active? This might be the third time I rejoin it but goddamn they finally introduced servers close to my region and that, added to Lockstep, have made the game much more enjoyable.

Goddamnit, this was the issue.

It is, what is your character name? Post it and someone will get an invite to you.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Near as I can tell everything but totems can pick them up, it's just a question of getting them to stop doing other things long enough for the "pick up talisman" action to take place.

And there is just about no chance in the world that they aren't going to remove the flask charges from the deadhand slugs sooner rather than later, but gently caress it, while it's working, might as well be immortal for all boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Sometimes you can "force" it by dropping it right on a boss while they talk and then portal out, but sometimes they still won't grab it. I could not get Daresso to pick one up last night at all.

• Locked thread