Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Chill la Chill posted:

Probably foil since I fence saber and there's no need to get the cutting motion when you can just stab. Count Dooku had the right idea. :3:

i still don't understand how that name happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i still don't understand how that name happened

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dooku

Wookiepedia posted:

Character origins

The name "Dooku" was based on the Japanese word "doku," meaning poison.[65]

Run that through Lucas' brain a few times and it'll make sense.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2540

The Weekly loving Standard posted:

Make no mistake, as emperor, Palpatine is a dictator--but a relatively benign one, like Pinochet. It's a dictatorship people can do business with. They collect taxes and patrol the skies. They try to stop organized crime (in the form of the smuggling rings run by the Hutts). The Empire has virtually no effect on the daily life of the average, law-abiding citizen.

Also, unlike the divine-right Jedi, the Empire is a meritocracy. The Empire runs academies throughout the galaxy (Han Solo begins his career at an Imperial academy), and those who show promise are promoted, often rapidly. In The Empire Strikes Back Captain Piett is quickly promoted to admiral when his predecessor falls down on the job.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 15, 2015

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Molothecat posted:

Lucas always pronounces it like "door", too.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The Inquisition guy in Rebels fought like a Saber guy :goonsay:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ultrabindu posted:

I'd settle for this to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6dgtBU6Gs

It's a film for chilluns. I don't have really great expectations.

Inigo Montoya spins during the fight, terrible.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is the Holiday Special canon now or not? They should bring that out with a proper HD release, just for the novelty of it.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I used to be really embarrassed about getting way too into the Lord of the Rings movies back in middle school, (even got my parents to buy a one ring on a chain that I wore to school every day, and I also tried to learn loving Elvish) but now I'm thinking I dodged a bullet because holy gently caress Star Wars is crazy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Molothecat posted:

Except you pronounce "doo-" as "du-" like "do" or "doing" most of the time and the way the Japanese pronounce "do-" as "doh".

If he had wanted to go with a name that sounded like the Japanese word for poison, he could have just gone ahead and used that word, it's not like anyone but the Japanese would have picked up on that. Apparently, Bioware named the Asari in Mass Effect after the Japanese word for "clam".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Ghetto Prince posted:

I used to be really embarrassed about getting way too into the Lord of the Rings movies back in middle school, (even got my parents to buy a one ring on a chain that I wore to school every day, and I also tried to learn loving Elvish) but now I'm thinking I dodged a bullet because holy gently caress Star Wars is crazy.

Really LotR and Star Wars are on the exact same level. The Simallarion is your EU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really LotR and Star Wars are on the exact same level. The Simallarion is your EU
Ehhh the Silmarillion is one book, written by the same guy who wrote the original source material. The Star Wars EU is literally hundreds of sources, spanning multiple media, written over the course of decades by dozens of authors.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Xenomrph posted:

Ehhh the Silmarillion is one book, written by the same guy who wrote the original source material. The Star Wars EU is literally hundreds of sources, spanning multiple media, written over the course of decades by dozens of authors.

Wasn't Silmarillion in part written by Tolkien's much less talented son? I'd say that, combined with all the various notes he "adapted," make up the Middle-Earth EU.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Young Freud posted:

Except you pronounce "doo-" as "du-" like "poopoo" or "poo poo" most of the time and the way the Japanese pronounce "do-" as "doh".

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
General Whorm Loathsom

oh god is that canon

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also from the dooku article

In the Galician and Portuguese languages, "do cu," pronounced exactly as in "Dooku," means "from the rear end." For this reason, Dooku's name was changed to "Dookan" in Brazil.[66]

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

You have to admit the nerd type archtype overlap between Star Wars and LotR is pretty huge, though. And like Jurgan pointed out, a lot of the Sim came from "notes" of the deceased

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

You have to admit the nerd type archtype overlap between Star Wars and LotR is pretty huge, though. And like Jurgan pointed out, a lot of the Sim came from "notes" of the deceased
Well yeah, from a "sperg minutiae" and "missing the forest for the trees" standpoint there's a lot of overlap, but I blame that on the fandom, not the authors of "the EU". That's present in any nerd fandom regardless of the quality of its "canon".
Star Wars is just an easy target because you've got sperg fans latching onto a colossal EU of questionable quality, and a parent company that backed that EU whole hog regardless of quality.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah, from a "sperg minutiae" and "missing the forest for the trees" standpoint there's a lot of overlap, but I blame that on the fandom, not the authors of "the EU". That's present in any nerd fandom regardless of the quality of its "canon".
Star Wars is just an easy target because you've got sperg fans latching onto a colossal EU of questionable quality, and a parent company that backed that EU whole hog regardless of quality.

They made action figures of EU characters.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ser...PDX4126ZVBN0XFB

And people try to say Star Wars isn't a cash cow.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Star Wars has always been a cash cow from day one. The merchandising for Star Wars is orders of magnitude beyond any other pop culture franchise in history.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

I think this hasn't been posted in the last couple of pages, so a reminder:

quote:

The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That just sounds like a man with a sense of humor who's tired of being asked dumb questions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That just sounds like a man with a sense of humor who's tired of being asked dumb questions.

sheev

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
land-o is the one that lets them land

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Can't fleev the sheev baby

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Darth Insanius shows no mercy!

Darth Icky shows his genitals in snapchat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Booblord Zagats posted:

Darth Insanius shows no mercy!

Darth Icky shows his genitals in snapchat

Are Jedi and Sith genitals color-coded like lightsabers?

I assume there's an answer somewhere in the EU.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Mara Jade's a redhead, so yes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

All Sith are circumcised for some reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Darth Insanius isn't really any worse than Darth Sidious and better than Darth Maul tbh

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Darth Maul's brother is named Savage Opress for gently caress's sake.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Mods pls rename everyone to Darth Icky

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

Which makes it all the more amazing that there's literally none of it that's any good whatsoever

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Darth Maul's brother is named Savage Opress for gently caress's sake.

lmao whhat

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yep, that's no joke. It's made marginally more palatable by having "Savage" be pronounced like "massage". Sah-vahj

Still pretty fuckin retarded

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Some of the names in TFA or sort of doofy but at least there's nobody named "Antagonist Malefactor" or wtfever.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Improbable Lobster posted:

Which makes it all the more amazing that there's literally none of it that's any good whatsoever

:arghfist::saddowns:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Read this if you want to spoil the movie.

http://www.filedropper.com/forceawakensscript

I only managed a page before I had to stop.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Apparently Ackbar has a first name: "Gial". Better than Firmus, I guess.

Also, in Legends canon, the Galactic Civil war was only brought to an end in 19 ABY with the Pellaeon–Gavrisom Treaty. Behold the dignified end of the galaxy-spanning war:

That bird man is Chief of State of the New Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

William Bear posted:

That bird man is Chief of State of the New Republic.

I think he was actually born beyond the Outer Rim and not a true Imperial/Republic citizen. I want to see the long form hatch certificate.

• Locked thread