Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Shageletic posted:

Also this is late, but people are willing to pay $150 a night to stay in Cleveland? Cleveland?!
I'm amazed it is that cheap.

I'm pricing Philadelphia for this summer, it is looking to be between $250 - 900 a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, I think people haven't checked prices of decent hotels recently.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ZobarStyl posted:

Do the SimCity games incorporate racism yet? There needs to be a scenario where you have to reverse white flight for an urban area.

You're behind the times. The topical SimCity scenario for 2015 would be one where you have to discourage white people from moving back into those areas because they're causing gentrification.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You're behind the times. The topical SimCity scenario for 2015 would be one where you have to discourage white people from moving back into those areas because they're causing gentrification.

I'm from Portland, OR. If you are not from Oregon and don't enjoy the outdoors, please don't move there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

delfin posted:

The best thing about the Flint lead saga is that if Law and Order did an episode on it, it would get panned as being too unbelievable.

And at the end someone would get arrested

I believe it was the show Leverage that had this exact problem. They found stories of the comically evil poo poo encouraged in American hyper capitalism but if they made shows out of the truth nobody believed it.

Reality was too hosed up and corrupt for television.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Well obviously there's two scenarios to be played, but the underlying question is still valid - how do you actually accurately model racism in the Sim universe?

If White Then Set VAR_IS_RACIST=1

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We need more mad economists as dictators anyway.

Michigan's governor is basically the Vault-Tec CEO at this point

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZobarStyl posted:

Well obviously there's two scenarios to be played, but the underlying question is still valid - how do you actually accurately model racism in the Sim universe?

If White Then Set VAR_IS_RACIST=1

You could incorporate some version of this and I would definitely play a Sims game that did that, if only to see if you can cure racism with urban planning.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
USPOL DEC: BRING ON THE VIRGINS

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Also this is late, but people are willing to pay $150 a night to stay in Cleveland? Cleveland?!
There were postings for RNC condos/apartments for 10k+ which are less frequent. That probably means they sold which take up housing until that's over as well. Might as well b&b them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Paul Ryan is bundling in the final version of CISA (which has been completely stripped of privacy protections and 19 civil liberties organizations have condemned) and a rider that would undermine the FCC's ability to enforce Net Neutrality into the must pass omnibus bill they are going to try to shove through

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fried Chicken posted:

Paul Ryan is bundling in the final version of CISA (which has been completely stripped of privacy protections and 19 civil liberties organizations have condemned) and a rider that would undermine the FCC's ability to enforce Net Neutrality into the must pass omnibus bill they are going to try to shove through

I mean, we all know Paul Ryan is a poo poo, but it's always nice to get confirmation.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So are other parts of the bill a prelude to a shutdown or are these the "compromise" portions? Because these sound like things the Democrats could live with tbh.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Everblight posted:

Michigan's governor is basically the Vault-Tec CEO at this point

We appreciate the sacrifice by everyone in Michigan for science.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Radish posted:

"I believed in my heart that the water was fine." Oh well looks like that's that and no one is to blame.

Worked for Reagan.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

ZobarStyl posted:

but the underlying question is still valid - how do you actually accurately model racism in the Sim universe?

There's no racism, but blacks, whites, asians and latinos team up to force the vampires, werewolves, witches and cyborgs into ghetto's.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Aurubin posted:

So are other parts of the bill a prelude to a shutdown or are these the "compromise" portions? Because these sound like things the Democrats could live with tbh.

Pretty sure this is the "compromise". In exchange for giving the Republicans half of what they want and slashing consumer and privacy protections for the public, the government gets to stay open and both parties get to be re-elected next year. The system works. :toot:

EDIT: No one's been talking about anything other than disagreements on whether selling oil to foreign countries should include climate offsets, so it seems everything else is done and agreed on.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 16, 2015

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pretty sure this is the "compromise". In exchange for giving the Republicans half of what they want and slashing consumer and privacy protections for the public, the government gets to stay open and both parties get to be re-elected next year. The system works. :toot:

Man I hate everything.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I know Obama endorsed the Senate CISA bill but the rider coming from congress strips out a lot of protections. Any chance he'll veto even if it's stuck on the must-pass spending bill?

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 16, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Aurubin posted:

Man I hate everything.

Hey, Democratic negotiators are doing their best! We could have had Dodd-Frank and campaign finance restrictions repealed, too!

EDIT: Democrats are fighting hard for that last bit: we'll sell oil overseas only if Republicans agree to find some studies into global warming. They don't even have to do anything!

quote:

“We … allow some grants to be issued. But we need to do a lot more than that. And that’s what we’re working on,” Reid told reporters. “We have, of course, more water than there is land in the world, and we have ignored the necessity of doing something to protect our oceans.”

What a wonderful hill to die on, Dems! :shepicide:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate agreed by consent not to return judicial nominees to the White House at the end of the year.

Not to confirm any of them, of course.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
By the end of the 8th year of President CLinton's presidency the Federal Judicial system had ground to a halt as all the judges had died without replacements.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dare I ask what ended up happening with the 9/11 first responders bill?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

haveblue posted:

Dare I ask what ended up happening with the 9/11 first responders bill?

It's supposedly been rolled into this one.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I have a question for anyone in this thread who knows (which is to say, probably Joementum): who is the blissful man in the bottom-right corner of this article's header photo?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

PleasingFungus posted:

I have a question for anyone in this thread who knows (which is to say, probably Joementum): who is the blissful man in the bottom-right corner of this article's header photo?

Clearly it's Martin Freeman.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Secret Muslim blowing up the federal government or screwing us all?!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ghetto Prince posted:

There's no racism, but blacks, whites, asians and latinos team up to force the vampires, werewolves, witches and cyborgs into ghetto's.

This is the plot of Watchmen hth

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Digging into this a bit more. Fight the Future made the former claim, which is why I jumped on that part. Where's the bit about Net Neutrality? I can't find any articles about that rider.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Digging into this a bit more. Fight the Future made the former claim, which is why I jumped on that part. Where's the bit about Net Neutrality? I can't find any articles about that rider.

Same source for both. Evan at Fight for the future put out the warning.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

The major justification for freedom of speech is the marketplace of ideas—the claim that if people can say whatever they want, the best ideas will flourish. But just what is it that we can learn from ISIS? The social value of beheading apostates? The finer points of crucifixion?
A simple balancing test would permit laws to target dangerous speech that does not advance public debate.

:lol: I really wanna know if this guy is for or against hate speech laws in any other contexts. Plenty of domestic white supremacist orgs draw people in online.

I'd bet :10bux: that Posner's arguments and/or ideas are way more likely to be legally accepted in other first world nations that already have made exceptions to their free speech protections.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Same source for both. Evan at Fight for the future put out the warning.

The Fight for the Future press release only mentions the former, and Evan's Twitter makes no comment about anything other than CISA's inclusion as well. I've still yet to find anything that restricts FCC enforcement of net neutrality.

Not saying it doesn't exist, just that I still haven't seen anything corroborate that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Fight for the Future press release only mentions the former, and Evan's Twitter makes no comment about anything other than CISA's inclusion as well. I've still yet to find anything that restricts FCC enforcement of net neutrality.

Not saying it doesn't exist, just that I still haven't seen anything corroborate that.

Here is the signal boost from Evan at boing boing - http://boingboing.net/2015/12/15/call-now-paul-ryan-is-trying.html

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeusExMachinima posted:

:lol: I really wanna know if this guy is for or against hate speech laws in any other contexts. Plenty of domestic white supremacist orgs draw people in online.

he's for them

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
USPOL DEC: BRING BACK THE WARRIOR CLASS

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
We have a deal. (probably)

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003

I don't see anything about lifting the CDC ban on studying effects of gun violence, did Democrats not get that or are there other riders not listed?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Well poo poo. Not sure what's creepier: Uncle Sam get precedent to decide what speech is "low value", or the fact that the rest of the first world already does.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Where's the debate thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
^^^ Check RSF. ^^^

Hidden Under a Hat posted:

I don't see anything about lifting the CDC ban on studying effects of gun violence, did Democrats not get that or are there other riders not listed?

I haven't seen the whole bill yet. Most of the reporting is focusing on what Reid and Ryan have said (in other words, oil exports, energy subsidies, and these Obamacare taxes). Since the media is going to be dissecting the debate for the rest of the night and there's no sign that the bill itself has been filed yet, I expect we won't hear more until tomorrow.

• Locked thread