Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

lol you can't detonate C4 while running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Was there not a bug fairly early on where the pump shotgun or something was missing zeds that were right on top of you? Like if one was in your face you could unload all day long and nothing would register a hit.

I ask because I fell like there's a similar issue with the Gunslingers stuff, especially akimbo and not sighted. I've had several moments where a gorefast has been humping me and I magdump two deagles into him and he's still standing there fine.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm not mistaken in thinking standing outside in the open is pretty much the worst place you can be, right? I joined a hard match last night with a bunch of fairly high level people, expecting to just follow their lead. But then they all stood outside anyways... :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Depends on the map/wave. If a team is at all coordinated they can stand out in a field and hold trash off from all directions, and focus down the big guys when they show up. However it is much more common for this to instead result in people getting separated and picked off one by one until the remaining players are overwhelmed and YOU DIED

I'm also noticing what seems to be an issue with close range GS shots not hitting enemies. IIRC the shotgun issue was that the shells were spawning from the end of the barrel, but at very close range the end of your gun was actually behind the zed so you couldn't shoot it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

PantsBandit posted:

So I'm not mistaken in thinking standing outside in the open is pretty much the worst place you can be, right? I joined a hard match last night with a bunch of fairly high level people, expecting to just follow their lead. But then they all stood outside anyways... :shrug:

It can be, but the advantage to a wide open area is that--at least unless and until something goes horribly wrong (and it will)--you usually have enough room to maneuver and get the gently caress out of there if you need to. A really confined space lets you control the flow of zeds more easily, but once scrakes and FPs start showing up en masse they're going to mash you into a fine paste if you hole up too tight. That's why most maps tend to optimize down to a couple of standard hold-out spots everybody gravitates towards (the cars in Outpost), because there's only going to be a few places on each map that have limited points of entry but give you enough room to back the gently caress up when you need to.

With Farmhouse specifically (because I suspect that's the map you're talking about) I've never had much luck holding outside. The zeds will come over that fence from every direction and even though you've got room to maneuver that space gets filled up fast.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

Depends on the map and difficulty level..
But an open space gives you room to maneuver. What is best is having limited paths for the ZEDS to come from.
Outpost, for example, has that space between the two arctic cats that are pretty much a perfect hold point. only 2-3 paths for the ZEDs to come from only 2 paths for the big guys to come from.
I noticed that on higher difficulty levels though an enclosed space seems best because it helps to focus fire and take down the big guys way quicker.
There is this one alcove above the grand stair case on Voltor Manor that is perfect for this. Only one path in and with 6 folks packed in you can pretty much destroy anything that comes in. This only works if you have a high level competent medic BTW.
This obviously only works on Waves. The Boss requires room to move.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

PantsBandit posted:

The best locations are based on zed spawns. If it's flat and has less than three entrances, it's generally a good spot regardless of size. Light is also a factor as well. That's why areas like the APCs in outpost, vats in biotics lab, and underground sex dungeon in Volter Manor work so well regardless of their size. You'll notice this a lot of custom maps, too.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Theta Zero posted:

The best locations are based on zed spawns. If it's flat and has less than three entrances, it's generally a good spot regardless of size. Light is also a factor as well. That's why areas like the APCs in outpost, vats in biotics lab, and underground sex dungeon in Volter Manor work so well regardless of their size. You'll notice this a lot of custom maps, too.

underground sex dungeon usually turns into a death trap around wave 6-8 in my experience.

another good hold point in Volter Manor is the horseshoe bend balcony outside of the bedroom

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Paris basically gives you a sprinting circuit and a whole bunch of open space and is like screw it time to work on your cardio!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Opposing Farce posted:

With Farmhouse specifically (because I suspect that's the map you're talking about) I've never had much luck holding outside. The zeds will come over that fence from every direction and even though you've got room to maneuver that space gets filled up fast.

Actually, it was Burning Paris. People really like to hang out outside by the burning Eiffel Tower skybox. Maybe they just like to have a pretty view.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

Actually, it was Burning Paris. People really like to hang out outside by the burning Eiffel Tower skybox. Maybe they just like to have a pretty view.

This spot is good at lower levels just because the ZEDs have to cover a lot of ground to reach the space from their spawn points so you can see them coming easily and react accordingly.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 15, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

PantsBandit posted:

That spot is probably the best spot on Burning Paris because the only close spawn is from behind the cars, and that's easily watched by a firebug or zerker. Everything else has to walk down the subway tunnel, down the side path by the cafes, or down the giant staircase above the subway path, and you can see them all coming from miles away so you can pick them off early. Also, the big guys, Fleshpounds and Scrakes, only ever come from the Subway, making them extremely easy for the demo / zerker / support to prep for by just being in position to intercept them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kikas posted:

Because Dynamite works as well and I get more of them?

c4 is stronger than the rpg

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

gnome7 posted:

That spot is probably the best spot on Burning Paris because the only close spawn is from behind the cars, and that's easily watched by a firebug or zerker. Everything else has to walk down the subway tunnel, down the side path by the cafes, or down the giant staircase above the subway path, and you can see them all coming from miles away so you can pick them off early. Also, the big guys, Fleshpounds and Scrakes, only ever come from the Subway, making them extremely easy for the demo / zerker / support to prep for by just being in position to intercept them.
The access points are also wide enough that if there is a reason to run, you're not going to get easily blocked. Heading towards the cafes gives you some flex to back up without having to completely relocate.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't been able to play the game for the past 5 days. Have people gotten their second real drops yet?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Broose posted:

I haven't been able to play the game for the past 5 days. Have people gotten their second real drops yet?

I got my second drop. It's a camo bullpup skin.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Got my second drop today. It was a USB that gave me a rare Dragonsbreath skin.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Broose posted:

I got a second drop last Thursday. Got a Dragonfire Shotty skin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Everything I just voted on in the workshop was terrible. The nazi hat wasn't even the worst.

gnome7 posted:

I prefer the cnb over the trench gun, myself, although that's mostly after getting heat wave at level 10. Heat wave just makes the trench gun into the worst of the firebug weapons, due to long reload times + an inability to capitalize on your long reload times. The firebug doesn't have the survivability boosts that Medic and Support do to make being up close with a shotgun work out well for them.

So my usual route is to keep the CnB and buy the medic pistol at the end of wave 1 for dealing with far away enemies and healing allies. Then just keep filling up those two weapons until you can buy the flamethrower, and sell the CnB for it. Then swap out the medic pistol for the medic SMG, and then you have two options for where to go from there: Pick up the Medic Assault Rifle and keep the flamethrower, or sell the Flamethrower and upgrade to the Microwave Gun.

Medic and Firebug are both my favorite classes so I've basically just started playing them both as hybrids where I pick up the others' weapons all the time. I go Firebug if we're doing okay at keeping alive and go Medic if the team needs help with that, and generally go with one of those two final loadouts: Flamethrower + Medic AR, or Microwaves + Medic SMG. That second loadout also has room for dual pistols or a medic pistol if you need even more ammo.

I can confirm the above loadout is pro-tier.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 16, 2015

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

is this how you get your sick kicks, tripwire?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

is this how you get your sick kicks, tripwire?

Is post/av combo still a thing?

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013

I paid 2.50 for this item.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Mexicat posted:

I paid 2.50 for this item.

that is quite a flip.
Nice one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I got a headband worth 7 cents! :v:

still, drops are at least working even if we can't win them all.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So there's an exploit on Farmhouse where if you crouch in the bushes to the side of the cellar entrance, it creates a deadzone where you are invulnerable.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

moot the hopple posted:

So there's an exploit on Farmhouse where if you crouch in the bushes to the side of the cellar entrance, it creates a deadzone where you are invulnerable.

I thought the last patch was supposed to fix that.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I think you're all missing the important thing that Tripwire got a new logo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

moot the hopple posted:

I thought it was more of a pathing/clipping thing where you can get hit with yells/barf/fireballs but not melee since they can't get to you through the bushes.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I just got my 3rd drop. another Dragonfire USB

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Ruggington posted:

c4 is stronger than the rpg

Give me something like the Heave-ho! perk from Fallout: New Vegas so I can chuck those things and blow up Fleshpounds from half a map away and I'll do it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hans is the worst boss since games took quarters.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

PantsBandit posted:

This always irks me on the evac map when I see people standing in the main street with the cars and zeds that can approach from like 5 direction directions. The upper level of the train station kinda lets you funnel zeds into two points so firebugs/supports can clear way easier. The fenced area by the vendor is great too, again funneling zeds into 2 points.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Hans is the worst boss since games took quarters.

And it's a pain to relay that to the community. They'll either tell you to git gud, or show you some Youtube guide. Problem is, that's all one to three players most of the time. They don't realize just how stupid Hans gets when you have five or six people in your group. And since you can't create private matches, you're nearly always guaranteed three players by the end of the match. They just need Hans' melee damage on higher difficulty/more players scenarios and to tone down his poo poo so that he's not just focusing down one player to the point where they're impossible to heal. It's frustrating because we have a group of about 8 dudes who regularly hang in Mumble who want to play, and now nobody does, because nobody wants to fight Volter.

They've done a lot of good for this game. Right now, Volter and the inexplicable ammo stinginess are my only two big gripes.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Plan Z posted:

And it's a pain to relay that to the community. They'll either tell you to git gud, or show you some Youtube guide. Problem is, that's all one to three players most of the time. They don't realize just how stupid Hans gets when you have five or six people in your group. And since you can't create private matches, you're nearly always guaranteed three players by the end of the match. They just need Hans' melee damage on higher difficulty/more players scenarios and to tone down his poo poo so that he's not just focusing down one player to the point where they're impossible to heal. It's frustrating because we have a group of about 8 dudes who regularly hang in Mumble who want to play, and now nobody does, because nobody wants to fight Volter.

They've done a lot of good for this game. Right now, Volter and the inexplicable ammo stinginess are my only two big gripes.

I agree Volter sucks but i dont understand the ammo stinginess complaint. I rarely run out of ammo. But then again I am OCD about headshots and I love to whip my knife out.
ammo is never an issue on normal/hard and on higher levels I actually enjoy the ammo conservation. It ratchets up the intensity of the situation. The whole "I am down to my last clip i need to make them count" make the situation so much more intense.

She Bangs the Drums fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 16, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Plan Z posted:

Being "good" at Hans is literally kiting him for 10 minutes. He is so horrible in so many ways.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames
just so Questioner knows.
Hans Volter is literally killing KF2.
Either fix him or take him out.
If i see him pop up I think Automatic wipe and if I am the last man standing he isnt worth kiting for 40 minutes.
unfun.
The Patriarch fight being so much more fun really underscores how awful Hans is.

This is a serious issue.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Being "good" at Hans is literally kiting him for 10 minutes. He is so horrible in so many ways.

So many people who get screaming mad if you suggest hey maybe if it's been literally 15 minutes solo kiting the boss and you've had all the old players leave and a bunch of new players show up, maybe take a dive instead of screaming "Well they can just go find another server!" as the third rotation of fresh faces comes into the server to see you still plugging away with that medic pistol and finally, finally Hans.... enters his third phase.

E Bushido trumps all common sense, and then I remember these people are still in the technical sense better at this game than I am :negative:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Drakes posted:

This always irks me on the evac map when I see people standing in the main street with the cars and zeds that can approach from like 5 direction directions. The upper level of the train station kinda lets you funnel zeds into two points so firebugs/supports can clear way easier. The fenced area by the vendor is great too, again funneling zeds into 2 points.

That's also 2 escape points. Unless your group is coordinated enough to all focus on one entryway (which may be the case, I usually play with pubs) you're going to get eaten.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Plan Z posted:

And it's a pain to relay that to the community. They'll either tell you to git gud, or show you some Youtube guide. Problem is, that's all one to three players most of the time. They don't realize just how stupid Hans gets when you have five or six people in your group.
Last night I was on a booster map and Hans managed to kill everyone but me because someone had to volunteer for the healing phase and would get pulped by all the other nearby zeds or he would inexplicably melee them instead of heal. It ended after I emptied 15+ microwave mags into him in his third phase as a level 22 Firebug and people begged me to go get an AA-12 off the rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What if you have six people, three going Medic and three going Berserker? Surely this is the Hans strategy!