Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Is there any way to stay ahead of "exploding crotch syndrome" in the old marvel legends? I'd like to do....something? to prevent it from happening.

If it does explode you can just glue it back together again. I had one figure do that years ago and I used some good Loctite and never had a issue again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm kinda pissed Hot Toys never came out with a Jor el figure in his armor from Man of Steel.

Also, little weird they didn't have the stabby gauntlet option on the Zod figure.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jor El is like their biggest failure, once was bad enough.

Sideshow has been desperately trying to get rid of Jor Els for years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Ouch. Hits way too close to home for comfort.

My main thought was "That display case would be really useful."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man I'm kinda pissed Hot Toys never came out with a Jor el figure in his armor from Man of Steel.

Also, little weird they didn't have the stabby gauntlet option on the Zod figure.

His Play Arts figure is pretty good. I scored it for $46 on Amazon (clearly mispriced).

Edit: I bought it when it was NEW for $46, he goes for about $50 these days.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 14, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Has anybody bought any of the Elite Series Star Wars figures?

I just got Phasma from the Disney store and the figure looks fuckin awesome, but holy poo poo, I canNOT get her out of the packaging. The plastic twist ties around her legs refuse to be cut by scissors and I can't untie them. It's truly, truly incredible. But yeah, she feels really solid and is just generally rad. I wish the cape were fabric instead of plastic though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I just got Phasma from the Disney store and the figure looks fuckin awesome, but holy poo poo, I canNOT get her out of the packaging. The plastic twist ties around her legs refuse to be cut by scissors and I can't untie them. It's truly, truly incredible. But yeah, she feels really solid and is just generally rad. I wish the cape were fabric instead of plastic though.

I just picked up her and the FO Trooper yesterday, after having never seen either one in the Black Series in any store. They're everything I ever could have wanted--they weigh a loving ton and are awesome as poo poo. I was able to cut the ties around Phasma's legs with scissors, I just kind of "pulsed" the scissors instead of trying to brute-force it in one snip.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

I just picked up her and the FO Trooper yesterday, after having never seen either one in the Black Series in any store. They're everything I ever could have wanted--they weigh a loving ton and are awesome as poo poo. I was able to cut the ties around Phasma's legs with scissors, I just kind of "pulsed" the scissors instead of trying to brute-force it in one snip.

I was honestly surprised she was only $25 because goddamn this figure is solid as hell. Definitely would recommend as an alternative; I couldn't find the Black Series one anywhere, either. Wandered into the Disney store while doing other poo poo downtown, and there the figure was. I didn't even know these ones existed. :shobon:

And I'm still, fifteen minutes later, trying to get through the ties (though I keep giving up to post or whatever instead, so ...). Fuckin' A. I just need a better pair of scissors, I think.

Edit: Nearly 30 minutes and a pair of shears I usually use to cut bone later and she's finally free. All but one of the ties were reasonably easy, but one looped in on itself so many times, finding a way to cut it from behind and not scratching the paint job was nigh impossible. Goddamn.

Also an edit: the articulation feels really, really good. Like ... solid and mobile joints. The knees are a little fussy but if you work 'em gently they play nice. God, this figure rules. I wish Marvel figures were released in this quality; I'd eat the extra five dollars if it meant Legends were this much sturdier. Long as they did something about those fuckawful ties, at least.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 14, 2015

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Zibra Open-It 5-in-1 Package Opener
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UIHITY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_UbKBwb10N3V48

You're welcome

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Might have to try that one^^

My go to for twisty ties.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/STANLEY-84-028-Diagonal-Cutter-7-In.-L-13-16-In.-L-G7516896/41026963

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Three announcements from Marvel Select soon, at least 1 this week! :allears:

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Phasma is great. Storm Troopers are great. The humans all look pretty bad.

I picked up General Grievous because he looks amazing, but it's such a poorly-made figure that all it ever does is fall down and lose arms. It's astonishingly bad.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

funtax posted:

Phasma is great. Storm Troopers are great. The humans all look pretty bad.

I picked up General Grievous because he looks amazing, but it's such a poorly-made figure that all it ever does is fall down and lose arms. It's astonishingly bad.

Oh noo, that's disappointing. I wonder if you just got a bad one or if that's endemic to Grievous-es everywhere.

Thanks for the pro tips on twist tie cutters, y'all. I have never had ties so insanely knotted before, that was an adventure.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Thanks for the pro tips on twist tie cutters, y'all. I have never had ties so insanely knotted before, that was an adventure.

Yeah, the Elite series takes it to a whole new level. I've never encountered ties that were looped through themselves and then knotted, in addition to the regular spiral twist.

e: Oh, poo poo, OS Trooper, Boba Fett and Vader are already out? I have to find those.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hot Toys has pics up on their facebook of the Superman and Batman from BvS, as well as a batmobile that looks like it'll bankrupt a small country.

I'm not a fan of the headsculpt for Superman but I can sort of see Affleck in the Batman one. Weirder though cause it's literally a mouth and eyes.

Batman looks pudgy as gently caress though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's at least nightmare Batman, power armor Batman and one other unknown figure teased before too.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Oh noo, that's disappointing. I wonder if you just got a bad one or if that's endemic to Grievous-es everywhere.

I watched a couple of YouTube reviews and it seems to be pretty much universal. The way they positioned the legs and torso, the weight of his giant rubber cape, the tiny ball joints connecting the arms all conspire to make it a massively unstable mess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wasnt gonna jump on the Hot Toys Affleck Batman but one of the artist just posted this close up------ its really drat good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Has the movie even come out yet what if it's a piece of poo poo

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Has the movie even come out yet what if it's a piece of poo poo

That hasn't stopped people from preordering 8,000 The Force Awakens Hot Toys figures.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Imagine if hot toys had been around for batman forever

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You'd be surprised how many people really want Jim Carey Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face, and Schwarzenegger Freeze in 1/6 scale.

Some of the third party ones go for insane money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the movie's bad, it's still Batman/Luke/Han/etc.

Kylo Ren or something is a bit more of a gamble maybe, because what if he turns into the next Jar Jar or something?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vintersorg posted:

I wasnt gonna jump on the Hot Toys Affleck Batman but one of the artist just posted this close up------ its really drat good.

It's the face you make when you realize you chose a stall without toilet paper, but... it's too late.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aphrodite posted:

If the movie's bad, it's still Batman/Luke/Han/etc.

Kylo Ren or something is a bit more of a gamble maybe, because what if he turns into the next Jar Jar or something?
To be fair a character can be poo poo and still be visually interesting and make a cool figure. Case in point: Darth Maul, General Grievous

Episode 1 sucked, but the pod racer designs are cool as heck

Kylo Ren could end up being a poo poo character but he still looks cool.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really digging him that much as far as the character's design goes, but I'm pretty sure that's because I am comparing him to Vader.

Vader was a huge, giant, lumbering badass. Maul was all flip kicky and twirly and had horns and was kinda spooky looking, but Vader had this look that gave you the idea that you did not matter, you were a bug to be squished if you stepped in his way. Strangling a dude one handed in the opening 5 mins of the movie kinda cemented his "Whoa, don't gently caress with that dude" image.

I haven't seen much of Kylo but he looks like a skinny dude trying to be Vader, and basically from what I have seen he doesn't really exude that presence on screen.

BUT, that is with the giant caveat of "I haven't seen the movie yet", and if he turns out to be Darth Assbeater, Destroyer of rear end and All who stand before him, I will be pleasantly surprised. I just wish his costume was less Hot Topic though. Black everything, and just kinda "meh". Cool saber though.

Maul had the big giant robe thing, and then he had the kung fu garb, but it fit for him being a lil skinny judo ninja with a lightsaber. Unless Kylo is gonna start channeling his inner Neo I just find the design kinda "bleh". No colors, barely any highlights on the suit, no lights or armor or anything really. Just black on black with more black. At least the Emperor had that bitching cloak clasp.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adam Driver is what makes Kylo Ren so exciting. Plus his new style saber. And his knights too! :3:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair a character can be poo poo and still be visually interesting and make a cool figure. Case in point: Darth Maul, General Grievous

Episode 1 sucked, but the pod racer designs are cool as heck

Kylo Ren could end up being a poo poo character but he still looks cool.

Star Wars is a safe bet in general because you know they'll have plenty of EU stuff to make a character cool as long as they aren't Jar Jar bad.

Vintersorg posted:

Adam Driver is what makes Kylo Ren so exciting. Plus his new style saber. And his knights too! :3:

They actually did the same trick with Maul. It was his lightsaber that got everyone excited.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey action figure thread, I've got some stuff I need help with.

Earlier this year, I went to an annual yard sale I always make sure to go to, and there were these three huge green tupperware bins sitting in a corner. I was like "are those for sale" and they said "yeah, 25 bucks each". For huge tupperware bins that's not bad at all and I needed bins, so I bought them, haggling down to 65 for the three. Except they also were full of stuff. When I walked over to them, one had a sticker saying "GIJOE", one said "HE-MAN", and one said "NERF". Each one was filled to the brim with what their label said. Rifling through the GIJOE bin, I found a couple Go-Bots and a crapload of G1 Transformer weapons, but otherwise it was mostly its namesake. The HE-MAN bin has Castle Grayskull, some red fortress thing almost as big as CGS, like 3 different Battlecats, a Stinkor, and that's about all I recognize. The Nerf bin has a ton of N-STRIKE stuff among other things. I'll get photos of the HE-MAN/NERF stuff later, gotta sort all of it out.

I'm planning on selling the majority of it all, keeping some of the NERF guns, but I'd like some advice. Should I just sell them in big lots, or is there anything in these photos that is actually worth a good bit on its own? I was thinking of selling them in lots of "aircraft/seacraft", "land vehicles", "aircraft bits", "vehicle windshields/canopies", "vehicle bits", "guns", "missiles", and "GIJOE figures". I'm not really looking to nickle and dime my way to huge profit, but rather I'd like to get rid of them to make space, but also get some money as well.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! I'm more of an expert on Transformers stuff, not GIJOE/HE-MAN. I'll get photos up of the non-GIJOE stuff later.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey action figure thread, I've got some stuff I need help with.

Earlier this year, I went to an annual yard sale I always make sure to go to, and there were these three huge green tupperware bins sitting in a corner. I was like "are those for sale" and they said "yeah, 25 bucks each". For huge tupperware bins that's not bad at all and I needed bins, so I bought them, haggling down to 65 for the three. Except they also were full of stuff. When I walked over to them, one had a sticker saying "GIJOE", one said "HE-MAN", and one said "NERF". Each one was filled to the brim with what their label said. Rifling through the GIJOE bin, I found a couple Go-Bots and a crapload of G1 Transformer weapons, but otherwise it was mostly its namesake. The HE-MAN bin has Castle Grayskull, some red fortress thing almost as big as CGS, like 3 different Battlecats, a Stinkor, and that's about all I recognize. The Nerf bin has a ton of N-STRIKE stuff among other things. I'll get photos of the HE-MAN/NERF stuff later, gotta sort all of it out.

I'm planning on selling the majority of it all, keeping some of the NERF guns, but I'd like some advice. Should I just sell them in big lots, or is there anything in these photos that is actually worth a good bit on its own? I was thinking of selling them in lots of "aircraft/seacraft", "land vehicles", "aircraft bits", "vehicle windshields/canopies", "vehicle bits", "guns", "missiles", and "GIJOE figures". I'm not really looking to nickle and dime my way to huge profit, but rather I'd like to get rid of them to make space, but also get some money as well.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! I'm more of an expert on Transformers stuff, not GIJOE/HE-MAN. I'll get photos up of the non-GIJOE stuff later.

For vehicles and parts:

If it were me, I'd try to do some research, and see if I can piece together complete vehicles. They look very clean, and the Cobra Raven will be pretty desirable - so complete or near complete vehicles can be sold individually. You have a lot of good stuff - Rattler, Sky Striker, etc. Then sell off the rest of the incomplete stuff as one or a few lots. One lot will be easiest, but you won't make much - so I'd break it up into some sort of theme, whether by year, color, or Cobra/GI Joe.

You could try to piece out each individual part, and sell them on eBay, but the things would take years to finally sell off.

For figures:

You can probably list the legit Joes individually, and after a little while, bundle the ones that don't sell into one or two lots. The other figures - you'll need to do some research. Could be MASK or something else. For the broken Joes, I think it's worth trying to repair them, as all they need is a new o-ring - though I can see Shadow and Sir Panther have broken crotches. If you don't want to repair them, put them together as a lot of body parts.

Regardless, congrats on a very good haul. Edit: drat, I want a Cobra ASP.

Red fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 16, 2015

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
drat. Those MASK figures take me back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Red posted:

For vehicles and parts:

If it were me, I'd try to do some research, and see if I can piece together complete vehicles. They look very clean, and the Cobra Raven will be pretty desirable - so complete or near complete vehicles can be sold individually. You have a lot of good stuff - Rattler, Sky Striker, etc. Then sell off the rest of the incomplete stuff as one or a few lots. One lot will be easiest, but you won't make much - so I'd break it up into some sort of theme, whether by year, color, or Cobra/GI Joe.

You could try to piece out each individual part, and sell them on eBay, but the things would take years to finally sell off.

For figures:

You can probably list the legit Joes individually, and after a little while, bundle the ones that don't sell into one or two lots. The other figures - you'll need to do some research. Could be MASK or something else. For the broken Joes, I think it's worth trying to repair them, as all they need is a new o-ring - though I can see Shadow and Sir Panther have broken crotches. If you don't want to repair them, put them together as a lot of body parts.

Regardless, congrats on a very good haul. Edit: drat, I want a Cobra ASP.

Yeah, I was more meaning like, if there was anything that was a diamond in the rough, so to speak. Like if you had a pile of random-rear end Transformers but in the midst of them was a Jet Vehicon or something, some super rare, but fairly innocuous thing that goes for much more than its associates. Thanks for the tips though, I think I'm planning on keeping it down to less than a dozen lots just to reduce hassle and make it easier to ship them. Might separate the three large planes from the air and sea lot though, and see what bits I can fish out from the other stuff that go to them. An ebay auction with all three with most parts went for 150, it'd be cool if I could get half that for the three of them. That'd pay for the entirety of it all and then some.

Some of the vehicles are in nice shape, while others are pretty busted up, have weapon clips snapped off etc. I'm not really into giving them thorough look-overs to see what shape they're in, they're pretty clearly someone's old toys and were played with, some more than others. I'm mostly just wanting to get rid of them to make space, and maybe make some money for home repairs in the process, but I'm curious what the best way to sort them into lots would be.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 16, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The little guys with almost no articulation on the second row of the figure picture are MASK, as well as the helmets around all of the crotches. Looking through the pictures, you're missing some parts on some of the things you have.

By picture:

6th: Getting the main bodies out of the way here: Dark Blue Jet/Helicopter, Orange Boat on the far right with black rubber flat nose, purple pod with orange wings.

1st: The purple canopies are MASK. 2nd row goes with the Pod, 3rd row goes with the jet.

5th: The purple launcher thing in the upper right goes with the pod. the orange window in the center goes with the orange boat. The blue wings with the light blue fading into orange stickers and the black sort of 7s on the bottom with the grey guns are from the Helicopter/jet.

looked some of them up:

http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/toy-info/mask-original-mask-series-series-1-vehicles-gator/38596/
http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/toy-info/mask-original-mask-series-series-1-vehicles-switchblade/38792/
http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/toy-info/mask-original-mask-series-series-1-vehicles-piranha/38679/
http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/toy-info/mask-original-mask-series-series-2-vehicles-slingshot/38739/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I was more meaning like, if there was anything that was a diamond in the rough, so to speak. Like if you had a pile of random-rear end Transformers but in the midst of them was a Jet Vehicon or something, some super rare, but fairly innocuous thing that goes for much more than its associates. Thanks for the tips though, I think I'm planning on keeping it down to less than a dozen lots just to reduce hassle and make it easier to ship them. Might separate the three large planes from the air and sea lot though, and see what bits I can fish out from the other stuff that go to them. An ebay auction with all three with most parts went for 150, it'd be cool if I could get half that for the three of them. That'd pay for the entirety of it all and then some.

Some of the vehicles are in nice shape, while others are pretty busted up, have weapon clips snapped off etc. I'm not really into giving them thorough look-overs to see what shape they're in, they're pretty clearly someone's old toys and were played with, some more than others. I'm mostly just wanting to get rid of them to make space, and maybe make some money for home repairs in the process, but I'm curious what the best way to sort them into lots would be.

Ah, I see - well, I think you could have some good money-makers on your hands if you can put together complete vehicles.

YoJoe.com is pretty helpful - see http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/asp/ for the ASP. It has a breakdown of parts and everything, so you can see what goes where, and so on.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

It's the face you make when you realize you chose a stall without toilet paper, but... it's too late.

Oh it's Ben Affleck?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
The Marvel Select reveal was Iron Man, Winter Soldier and Cap from civil war.
Not interested in these myself.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Kakarot posted:

The Marvel Select reveal was Iron Man, Winter Soldier and Cap from civil war.
Not interested in these myself.

I'll probably end up with that Winter Soldier one. I kind of want to transition from Legends to just Select since the figures are so much nicer, but man, the selection ... it's no contest there, which makes it tough.

Edit: I hosed up and linked the wrong one, oh well!

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Its this http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/search.aspx?search=civil%20war%20select

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Are the Disney exclusive sw figures good? Considering getting all 4