Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I want the rest of The Origin to be animated because I don't care about Char, the White Base parts are the good part and are very good, and the GM finally gets the love it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't want them doing the rest of The Origin if they can't do better than mid-budget CGI because seriously look at that fuckin' page and how good that art is.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I'm only okay with CG Origin if they get Orange to do it.

Otherwise get Studio 1 or 8 to animate it because they draw the good mecha. I suppose Studio 8 is stuck in the Love Live mines after Buddy Complex tanked.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't want them doing the rest of The Origin if they can't do better than mid-budget CGI because seriously look at that fuckin' page and how good that art is.

I'm still kind of shocked by how, according to the little piece on his methods at the back of volume 5, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko didn't do any guide lines or roughs. Just started drawing directly.

I mean, The Origin was seriously good looking to begin with, but that's something else.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

apparently it's what the director likes?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have little doubt that they will eventually do more Origin stuff. It makes money selling toys, so they'll do it.

Fun fact: Origin model kits use a different "brand" label compared to the rest of the 0079-derived products.

Products from 0079 (the RX-78-2 head):

Products from Origin (Origin logo):

Bandai seems like they're ready to support Origin long-term if they're willing to give it a seperate brand label.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Fun fact: Origin model kits use a different "brand" label compared to the rest of the 0079-derived products.

Products from 0079 (the RX-78-2 head):

Products from Origin (Origin logo):

Bandai seems like they're ready to support Origin long-term if they're willing to give it a seperate brand label.

That or it's an excuse to sell you a Zaku or Gundam for the 10th time because this one is so different.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Midjack posted:

That or it's an excuse to sell you a Zaku or Gundam for the 10th time because this one is so different.

If they wanted to sell you another Zaku or Gundam that's slightly different from existing molds, they could make it, give the box the 0079 brand logo on the box, and nobody would care. They've done it before. :v:

They could easily put the 0079 brand logo on the Origin kits, but if they're using a new one just for Origin's products, then that tells me they have big plans for the Origin line. :shobon:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh3iG61loYg

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

When I see the words "english cover of gundam song" I instant recoil in horror, but this guy is actually pretty good from the two songs I've heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVJ85kttgA4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Both the Andrew WK and Richie Kotzen albums are pretty decent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just felt like listening to Star Children. Gundam should embrace it's 70s roots more.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just felt like listening to Star Children. Gundam should embrace it's 70s roots more.

I unironically love the cheesy 70s music in 0079, like Espionage in Enemy Territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqZtyB0kOH8

It sounds like it came from Scooby-Doo and I love it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One of the reasons I love Origins so much is that it fully embraces the 70s sci-fi look. It has a place next to my Moebius and Mézières comics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

If they wanted to sell you another Zaku or Gundam that's slightly different from existing molds, they could make it, give the box the 0079 brand logo on the box, and nobody would care. They've done it before. :v:

They could easily put the 0079 brand logo on the Origin kits, but if they're using a new one just for Origin's products, then that tells me they have big plans for the Origin line. :shobon:

The Origin kits are all new redesigns/remolds, too, so they're putting some serious money into this.

Also, you should always buy all the Zakus.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, you should always buy none of the Zakus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the Origin soundtrack is loving amazing.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I wasn't expecting the last volume of The Origin manga to end the way it did...

Yeah, it's basically how the third movie ended, but I didn't expect them to literally include the lyrics to Meguriai over the last few pages. I kinda had that song going in my head while reading the last few pages, though, especially after Char's bazooka headshot.

Not that big of a spoiler, just a pleasant surprise I found.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I forgot Gundam 00 had the craziest gift of the magi moment when Saji tries to give Louise a ring only to discover that terrorists had blown off her fingers.

Man, I love the first season of Gundam 00.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un27zKwObxI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
help i got blind guardian in my gundam

e: holy gently caress this is actually really awesome (I unironically love cheesy power metal though so ymmv)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LeadSled posted:

I wasn't expecting the last volume of The Origin manga to end the way it did...

Yeah, it's basically how the third movie ended, but I didn't expect them to literally include the lyrics to Meguriai over the last few pages. I kinda had that song going in my head while reading the last few pages, though, especially after Char's bazooka headshot.

Not that big of a spoiler, just a pleasant surprise I found.

They do a similar thing earlier where AI Sensei 'plays' over the Battle of Oddessa, which was a neat touch I thought.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm still kind of shocked by how, according to the little piece on his methods at the back of volume 5, Yoshikazu Yasuhiko didn't do any guide lines or roughs. Just started drawing directly.

I mean, The Origin was seriously good looking to begin with, but that's something else.

I'm not suprised, here's a video of him drawing char with no guidelines or rought at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3tO4_Ij9c

that's pretty goddamn amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Three Cookies posted:

I forgot Gundam 00 had the craziest gift of the magi moment when Saji tries to give Louise a ring only to discover that terrorists had blown off her fingers.

Man, I love the first season of Gundam 00.

Until Build Fighters came out, 00 S1 was my go to "Best 21st Century Gundam Production". It sure as hell wasn't perfect, but it was pretty great and as a bonus functions perfectly well as a standalone story if you prefer not acknowledging S2 or the movie.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I would buy all of the Zakus if they rereleased the crazier stuff, like the NT type Zaku or the Zaku tank.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I would buy all of the Zakus if they rereleased the crazier stuff, like the NT type Zaku or the Zaku tank.

The Zaku Reuse (P) is pretty entertainingly weird and ugly, and will almost certainly come out now they're doing the Thunderbolt OVAs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Zaku Reuse (P) is pretty entertainingly weird and ugly, and will almost certainly come out now they're doing the Thunderbolt OVAs.

I think it came out already. That's the high mobility Zaku an excess of guns, right? I've seen it up on Amazon with free shipping.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
So what Gundam manga series are worth reading? I decided to try reading the F91 spinoff manga series on a whim, and I found that while Silhouette Formula 91 was possibly the most mediocre and uninteresting piece of the Gundam franchise, F90 was surprisingly good. Like it would have made a better film than F91. But I've never heard anyone talk about it before. So aside from the obvious choices of The Origin and Crossbone, what other Gundam manga is really worth the time?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gao posted:

So what Gundam manga series are worth reading? I decided to try reading the F91 spinoff manga series on a whim, and I found that while Silhouette Formula 91 was possibly the most mediocre and uninteresting piece of the Gundam franchise, F90 was surprisingly good. Like it would have made a better film than F91. But I've never heard anyone talk about it before. So aside from the obvious choices of The Origin and Crossbone, what other Gundam manga is really worth the time?

Gundam Sousei

Gunota no Onna

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you like Gundam Wing, check out Episode Zero for some backstory on the Gundam pilots.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really liked Developers, about the prototyping of the first Zaku

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Gundam Sousei

Gunota no Onna

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren

The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is really good. It would have been m top choice for the OVA.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Gao posted:

I suggest MSV-R: The Return of Johnny Ridden, and Thunderbolt

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gao posted:

I've been chatting a bit about Thunderbolt in this thread - see my post history - and if you're into dark, ultra-heightened melodrama, it's pretty fun.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Don't have a link since I'm on my phone but Extreme Vs Force is coming to America and maybe Europe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I do have a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDitTXd0hQ

This might not be the same thing as Full Boost, the new Vita one that's due out in Asian English in Jan/Feb.

e; vv yeah, hurp. It's the same deal, which is good.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 21, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I do have a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDitTXd0hQ

This might not be the same thing as Full Boost, the new Vita one that's due out in Asian English in Jan/Feb.

It is. VS Force is the one you describe. Extreme VS Full Boost is the most recent to have a console release on PS3. Maxi Boost is the newest in arcades and not yet announced for consoles.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I hope this gets a garbled SAO translation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gao posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite page in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren has surprisingly little to do with the plot.