Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

We didn't "allow" the emergency manager thing to happen, though. We actually voted it down in 2012 but Snyder just passed it again a week later (this time with funding for something-or-other attached so that it couldn't be subject to another referendum).

Republicans have an iron grip on all three branches of government in the state. Whatcha gonna do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Occupy and Sit Down. This is Michigan birthplace of the UAW. People are so beat down anymore, with such little sense of community, its unlikely to happen but people are also getting seriously fed up. I'm honestly surprised noone's taken a potshot at Snyder or anyone else yet, this is the state where the first day of deer season is a holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Are you ready for another debate about unaccompanied minors? Because it looks like we're on track to have another debate about unaccompanied minors.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The benefits extension for 9/11 first responders made it into the omnibus.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What debate is there to be had? It was serviceable, but on the low end of Louis Black movies.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
USPOL Dec: "The power, the devastation of nuclear weapons is very important to me"

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Oracle posted:

Occupy and Sit Down. This is Michigan birthplace of the UAW. People are so beat down anymore, with such little sense of community, its unlikely to happen but people are also getting seriously fed up. I'm honestly surprised noone's taken a potshot at Snyder or anyone else yet, this is the state where the first day of deer season is a holiday.

Hahahahahahaha, you really think Labor means anything in this godforsaken state anymore? It amazes me how quickly the assholes around here forget what their fathers fought and died for. Michiganders are loving infuriating, this whole state is infuriating, and I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could convince my wife (a Michigan native and UofM alum) to do so.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You idiot poo poo heads

quote:

WASHINGTON -- After weeks of closed-door meetings and late-night negotiations, Republicans and Democrats finally reached an agreement Tuesday night on a $1.1 trillion bill to fund the government until October 2016. Lawmakers also agreed on a robust package of so-called tax extenders, which would make expired tax provisions permanent.
After missing yet another deadline last week, which forced the House and Senate to pass a five-day measure to keep the government open, party leaders agreed to wide-ranging policy provisions in the omnibus spending bill, from lifting a 40-year-old oil export ban to permanent renewal of a health program for the first responders to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, according to a senior GOP aide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/congress-omnibus-deal_5670c8cee4b0dfd4bcbfe05f

The Democrats are the worst.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Oracle posted:

The only thing that sucks more than Michigan are the people who live in this god forsaken shithole.

Edit: myself included

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 16, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sharing economy poo poo is probably headed for a big round of regulatory scrutiny due to the potential for lending an air of "legitimate business activity" to the aggregation of illicit funds. What kind of validation process do they have in place for assuring the rental isn't just a guy in a studio apartment booked up for 6 months solid by shills with dirty money?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

AmericanBarbarian posted:

USPOL Dec: "The power, the devastation of nuclear weapons is very important to me"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It is why I'm leaning towards voting straight R. Why die a death of a thousand cuts when we could just burn in nuclear fire?

I know accelerationists are looked down on here and I get it, but seriously Hillary will be 4 more years of grand bargains and a couple of social changes that equal out to not lifting people up but dragging then into poverty.

Edit: I know Supreme Court picks! Guess what they won't go through ig the D'a do not take the Senate.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If your employer offers a transit plan as an employee benefit, you can put away $250 a month pretax salary to use for parking but only $130 a month pretax salary to use for transit (bus, rail, trolley, subway, ferry or van pools). The tax extenders deal includes a parity for commuters, raising that up to $250.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ayyyy lmao

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

If your employer offers a transit plan as an employee benefit, you can put away $250 a month pretax salary to use for parking but only $130 a month pretax salary to use for transit (bus, rail, trolley, subway, ferry or van pools). The tax extenders deal includes a parity for commuters, raising that up to $250.

Good, that would actually cover my commuter rail pass in full

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
In a surprise twist, Hillary will choose Vince Foster as her running mate.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so wait a minute, what bad is happening here? expired tax cuts are made "permanant"? they're already expired, what difference would that make?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mr Hootington posted:

It is why I'm leaning towards voting straight R. Why die a death of a thousand cuts when we could just burn in nuclear fire?

I know accelerationists are looked down on here and I get it, but seriously Hillary will be 4 more years of grand bargains and a couple of social changes that equal out to not lifting people up but dragging then into poverty.

Edit: I know Supreme Court picks! Guess what they won't go through ig the D'a do not take the Senate.

I give up, what spectacular crime against humanity in here is worth destroying the entirety of civilization and voting for the party that wants to purge the USA of muslims.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

icantfindaname posted:

so wait a minute, what bad is happening here? expired tax cuts are made "permanant"? they're already expired, what difference would that make?

Tax credits that were going to expire at the end of the year now have no expiration date. This benefits people who pay taxes who tend to be wealthy. In some cases it benefits things Democrats like, for instance tax credits for commuter transport and green energy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mr Hootington posted:

I've argued against this enough times, so this time I'll summarize it down to "apocalyptic thinking is for fuckboys"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I give up, what spectacular crime against humanity in here is worth destroying the entirety of civilization and voting for the party that wants to purge the USA of muslims.

Token Bipartisanship

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you're an accellerationist and you're not suicidal or an alcoholic then you're a coward imo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait did they just extend tax cuts to the wealthy in perpetuity for ever and ever.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Tax cuts and credits that were going to expire at the end of the year now have no expiration date. This benefits people who pay taxes who tend to be wealthy. In some cases it benefits things Democrats like, for instance tax credits for commuter transport and green energy.

still seems irrelevant to me. if the Rs are going to use threats of shutdown every 6 months like clockwork they would just get the tax cuts extended when they were set to expire anyways. it's not like the Ds would have the congressional strength to block making them permanent in a year anyways

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Wait did they just extend tax cuts to the wealthy in perpetuity for ever and ever.

They extended tax credits that were due to expire at the end of the year in perpetuity. Of course, Congress can change those at any time they want, they just won't automatically expire.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I like how they set it up to expire in October. Neither side sees the fight over the budget as something that hurts them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

They extended tax credits that were due to expire at the end of the year in perpetuity. Of course, Congress can change those at any time they want, they just won't automatically expire.

That pretty much means for ever and ever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the full text for the tax extenders: http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20151214/121515.250_xml.pdf

A few are permanent, a few are through 2019, most are through 2016. The biggest (in dollar terms) are the Cadillac healthcare plan tax moratorium (mostly benefits union members) and the medical device tax moratorium.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I like how they set it up to expire in October. Neither side sees the fight over the budget as something that hurts them.

October 1 is when the FY for the Federal government traditionally starts.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you're an accellerationist and you're not suicidal or an alcoholic then you're a coward imo

what if i'm all four?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
By my count we got 5 more Republican Debates. Is that correct? Did that beginning of Jan. debate rumour come true?

edit:

Oh Hey, Fiorina may have leaked classified information as wel:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/carly-fiorina-may-have-revealed-state-secrets-by-bragging-about-helping-the-nsa

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chard posted:

what if i'm all four?
Then seek help, but then again you know that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At this point they prob should not be President because they easily leak classified info.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hollismason posted:

At this point they prob should not be President because they easily leak classified info.

it's a good thing there was never any chance of that happening then

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe you could start by killing yourself.

It can even help your accelerationist goals. Just shoot up a school and claim you're doing it in the name of Bernie Sanders and/or Hillary Clinton. People will be flocking to Trump in no time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hidden Under a Hat posted:

I don't see anything about lifting the CDC ban on studying effects of gun violence, did Democrats not get that or are there other riders not listed?

Yes I'm sure the Democrats fought long and hard for something like lifting that CDC ban.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If only Democratic elected officials had the negotiating skills of D&D poster, then everything would be perfect and Republican control of the house and senate would be meaningless!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hidden Under a Hat posted:

I don't see anything about lifting the CDC ban on studying effects of gun violence, did Democrats not get that or are there other riders not listed?

It's a huge amount of political capital for an ultimately pretty small piece of the agreement. It might be important to us, but there's a lot of people who would simply refuse to negotiate in its presence, and it's not that important compared to getting a deal in place at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Those dastardly Democrats, selling out America by making enhancements of the EITC and the child tax credit permanent! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Those dastardly Democrats, selling out America by making enhancements of the EITC and the child tax credit permanent! :argh:

Well you see conservatives got something out of it so-

• Locked thread