Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Mamapon in my party, though I understand that she is too powerful and would make the game too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow, the Lake Biahno Water Treatment Facility is a terrible, terrible place :suspense:.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

chumbler posted:

I want Mamapon in my party, though I understand that she is too powerful and would make the game too easy.

She went up in my holo player the moment I got her. Koko doesn't gently caress around.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

She went up in my holo player the moment I got her. Koko doesn't gently caress around.

Speaking of, does anyone know if you can get Daddapon's Glasses for yourself?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know if you can get Daddapon's Glasses for yourself?

If I did, I would build the drillpile immediately and run around slamming it into large enemies.

Sadly all you really get from that quest is a holofigure. I had hope for a more fun treasure.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
So I had been ignoring getting skells for my party because :effort: but gently caress Zu Pharg is a difficulty spike.

Speaking of, what skell should I be in for Melee?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Finally got my skell and god drat you can kick around small enemies

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just spent a half hour running/hopping up mountains Skyrim style to get to a data probe that I figure you needed a flying Skell to get to. I finally reach the field and it's... level 5 :smugjones:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Beat the game tonight and on the whole it's really good albeit it's got a lot of dumb design issues to it. The whole thing fell a bit flat to me though because the last boss was an aggravating pile of poo poo. Without going into any real detail but spoiling it just because, gently caress this game's targetting system so loving hard, gently caress! I had 5 attempts fail just due to not being able to target the giant loving thing instead of the massive add pile-up surrounding it. Got it eventually, it was the only thing I had to turn the difficulty down for..

This is my hot tip to everyone who hasn't gotten there yet, get level 50 before you start chapter 12. I was 49 when I went into it and the difference that being level 50 and having the new skell frames available then would have been bonkers. On the upside the giant hassle of that last chapter killed pretty much any desire to do post game poo poo so there's that I guess.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Dante18907 posted:

So I had been ignoring getting skells for my party because :effort: but gently caress Zu Pharg is a difficulty spike.

Speaking of, what skell should I be in for Melee?

Inferno, Mastema, and Amdusias are all good choices. Ditch the free skell as soon as you get one of those. Then, buy or farm a G-Buster to do ludicrous amounts of damage.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

MohShuvuu posted:

Inferno, Mastema, and Amdusias are all good choices. Ditch the free skell as soon as you get one of those. Then, buy or farm a G-Buster to do ludicrous amounts of damage.

Yeah I've been out of default skell for a while, bought an Urban cos I liked the looks better. Been rocking the Gbustah which is hella fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is very inconsiderate that you park your skell right in the middle of an intersection if you fast travel to the commercial district. Must give the BLADE department of urban planning fits.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
If you fast travel to the chapel, all of your Skells are parked neatly in the parking lot. :3:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

chumbler posted:

It is very inconsiderate that you park your skell right in the middle of an intersection if you fast travel to the commercial district. Must give the BLADE department of urban planning fits.

Citizens must either be terrified or badly desensitized to weird Skell behaviour.
Yesterday I was running around in my robbit, speeding towards people to ask them if they had seen a cat.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just did the BFFs mission post chapter 5. That was...a pain point, particularly finding the caravan in Oblivia.

Well, I got it done, but I wonder if I went about it the wrong way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I had a level 50 skell by the start of chapter 9. I might be playing this game weird. Also Urban is good but it feels kinda intense. Basically if you stack evasion you'll dodge 99% of everything thrown at you but all it takes is for the wrong attack to get through for splat times. I think I might go for dual evade up shields to minimize my time not being the dodgiest giant slab of metal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I had a level 50 skell by the start of chapter 9. I might be playing this game weird. Also Urban is good but it feels kinda intense. Basically if you stack evasion you'll dodge 99% of everything thrown at you but all it takes is for the wrong attack to get through for splat times. I think I might go for dual evade up shields to minimize my time not being the dodgiest giant slab of metal.

I'm quite fond of the Potential+/Limb Health regen ones myself.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm quite fond of the Potential+/Limb Health regen ones myself.

What DOES Potential do for you in your Skell? I know it improves the value of soul heals and TP-using arts on the ground, but nothing uses TP when in Skell. But it can't be just for soul heals, so does it just affect EVERY attack? Attacks while in Overdrive? What?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't know for sure, but I think it increases the chance of getting Pilot Mode.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also I found a shoulder mounted revolver cannon for my Skell so I'm happy. So many cool weapons that are rare-ish drops most players will never see.

I wish the Wrothian SICK MECH FLAME BOW wasn't absolute garbage. It's got like 800 force, takes the right shoulder slot, only does thermal damage and does a single shot. BUT IT LOOKS SIIIIICK.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Failboattootoot posted:

Beat the game tonight and on the whole it's really good albeit it's got a lot of dumb design issues to it. The whole thing fell a bit flat to me though because the last boss was an aggravating pile of poo poo. Without going into any real detail but spoiling it just because, gently caress this game's targetting system so loving hard, gently caress! I had 5 attempts fail just due to not being able to target the giant loving thing instead of the massive add pile-up surrounding it. Got it eventually, it was the only thing I had to turn the difficulty down for..

This is my hot tip to everyone who hasn't gotten there yet, get level 50 before you start chapter 12. I was 49 when I went into it and the difference that being level 50 and having the new skell frames available then would have been bonkers. On the upside the giant hassle of that last chapter killed pretty much any desire to do post game poo poo so there's that I guess.

Bah. I had to put the game down about 2 weeks ago due to finals; stopped around chapter 9 or so. This post isn't helping me pick it back up :-(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also I found a shoulder mounted revolver cannon for my Skell so I'm happy. So many cool weapons that are rare-ish drops most players will never see.

I wish the Wrothian SICK MECH FLAME BOW wasn't absolute garbage. It's got like 800 force, takes the right shoulder slot, only does thermal damage and does a single shot. BUT IT LOOKS SIIIIICK.

Who needs any other (early) shoulder weapons but BREAKER BLADE! :black101:

I'm nearly at level 30, is there a particular Heavy better than the other models or should I just go right for burning half a million credits on an Amdusias ST?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

enojy posted:

Bah. I had to put the game down about 2 weeks ago due to finals; stopped around chapter 9 or so. This post isn't helping me pick it back up :-(

Well if it helps, my Elma and Lin were 41ish and I took a level 35~ person with me so you know, maybe if they were closer to my level it would have been fine as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you see the sidequest Spy Games become available, the level requirement lies. Don't do it until you have a full set of Level 30 party members. Or are able to get sneaky with bringing a Skell in past hostiles :ninja:.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i'm not sure what's more bullshit, all the hoops you have to jump through to get the Skell License in the first place, or getting the flight model which is ALSO bullshit But they make you do it by yourself

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't the flight module mob drops which means you can buy them with tickets.

I think I already had everything but one when I started anyway and just grabbed the last at the barracks.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Are there videos anywhere of probes you can access entirely on foot pre-skell? Youtube has seemingly nothing for this game which confuses me to no end.
I'm dumb as hell and really bad at maps/exploration/whatever and find it endlessly frustrating the instant I reach a hex and don't see the screaming satellite beam demanding me to fry my brain with its hell-laser.

How do I pass this massive waterfall in northern Noctila? Is that a giant hand? What is happening I just want to unlock my beam skills :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Emalde posted:

Are there videos anywhere of probes you can access entirely on foot pre-skell? Youtube has seemingly nothing for this game which confuses me to no end.
I'm dumb as hell and really bad at maps/exploration/whatever and find it endlessly frustrating the instant I reach a hex and don't see the screaming satellite beam demanding me to fry my brain with its hell-laser.

How do I pass this massive waterfall in northern Noctila? Is that a giant hand? What is happening I just want to unlock my beam skills :negative:

If you can't find the light beam for the probe site, try using the Aerial Cam for a better perspective (R+Up on the D-Pad).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

chumbler posted:

In real-world Los Angeles (and plenty of other cities) many major surface street intersections are designated as emergency helicopter landing sites, complete with central traffic control clearing it with all-way emergency stop signals, and any group important enough to be treated like XCX's player party is probably important enough to have access to such a feature.

Presumably fast travel in-game doesn't happen in 'real time'.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know for sure, but I think it increases the chance of getting Pilot Mode.

I'm still baffled at what the point of this is. Whenever it switches to this view all my arts are X'd out and remain that way for most of its duration. Is there a way to cancel out of it, because all it seems good for is making me miss soul voices

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You and me both. This game is bad at communicating things to the player.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It resets all your attack cooldowns (and makes you invincible for the duration, but that's less relevant.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It resets all your attack cooldowns (and makes you invincible for the duration, but that's less relevant.)

It's pretty useless for things like phoenix or gbuster because you have to wait for the animation to finish.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm still baffled at what the point of this is. Whenever it switches to this view all my arts are X'd out and remain that way for most of its duration. Is there a way to cancel out of it, because all it seems good for is making me miss soul voices
Its not the cockpit time itself disabling the arts, its the art animation frames of whatever caused cockpit time, and maybe also how you can't move so you're also possibly out of the pocket for melee poo poo.

Cockpit time is a big deal in those intermediary stages where your 2 minute cooldown weapons don't quite one shot something yet, and skell overdrive's entire reason for existence is giving you high chance of cockpit time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Wait so that horrible view of inside the Skell is actually a good thing? I noticed that somtimes my cooldowns would just be instantly up and i was always cursing the useless cockpit view that i got somtimes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So my wife is probably going to get me this game for Christmas this year. I have one question about the basic combat system. Does combat ever feel like you are just standing around or at most repositioning yourself without any buttons to press because you are waiting for cooldowns? I heard that the basic attack is fully automated and that kinda concerns me when it comes to my combat preferences. I want to feel like I am actively involved in the combat constantly and I cannot tell what to expect based on the videos that I have seen.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Xavier434 posted:

So my wife is probably going to get me this game for Christmas this year. I have one question about the basic combat system. Does combat ever feel like you are just standing around or at most repositioning yourself without any buttons to press because you are waiting for cooldowns? I heard that the basic attack is fully automated and that kinda concerns me when it comes to my combat preferences. I want to feel like I am actively involved in the combat constantly and I cannot tell what to expect based on the videos that I have seen.
it depends heavily on what class you're playing, go for the DPS ones (whatever branch Full Metal Jaguar is on) if you want to always be doing things, and the Soul Voice system heavily rewards you paying attention to what's going on around you, as responding to your team-mates' requests is your main source of healing. it's a lot more involved when you actually play it than it looks like in videos

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

Yes, it will feel this way for awhile. Once I had settled on a build and levelled up the arts i was using to 3 or 4 out of 5 levels I generally felt fairly busy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Wait so that horrible view of inside the Skell is actually a good thing? I noticed that somtimes my cooldowns would just be instantly up and i was always cursing the useless cockpit view that i got somtimes.
It could be argued that if you end up in a stand up slugging fight in a skell, the most important function of your arm slots is to cause cockpit time. It could also be argued if you end up in a stand up slugging fight in a skell you took a wrong turn somewhere, but its a nice change of pace from just mindlessly blowing up bases with a Phoenix.

Xavier434 posted:

For 95% of the game there's a fairly measured pace because of the nature of secondary cooldowns but contrasted with answering soul voices, which make it the usual best idea to wait except when its not, so there's probably more idling followed by dumping abilities compared to a more constant pace from WoW or FF14. But then the endgame is also like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks for the tips. I do really wish that they would have just binded the basic attack to a button. That makes a big difference for me. I'll aim for Full Metal Jaguar and hope that helps. My preference leans more towards PSO action combat than say MMO FF XIV combat so we'll see.

• Locked thread