Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Fat chance of them enforcing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Fat chance of them enforcing that.

It'll be after the fact enforcement, mostly, but it gives them leverage to prosecute people who do stupid poo poo with drones.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

It'll be after the fact enforcement, mostly, but it gives them leverage to prosecute people who do stupid poo poo with drones.

A good enough reason if you ask me, actual pilots don't gently caress around with wanting clear airspace during landing and takeoff since swerving around some jackass' drone so it doesn't get ingested and blow up the engine is a very dangerous thing while taking off and landing. As there's no feasible way to keep drones from entering the loving airport, they might as well drop the hammer on anyone loving around until the rest get the picture. The same would go for voyeurism and nuisances, but those don't pose the same kind of hazard to public safety as loving around near a passenger airport runway does.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I thought one of the critical strengths of Uber/Lyft with minorities is that the cab will show up promptly and well, actually show up.

Depends on where you live
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/5/27/1302417/-Ridesharing-and-Redlining-Uber-Lyft-Race-and-Class

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I know that ron_paul_sitting_in_a_room_alone.jpg was a photoshop, so this hits much as (I assume) it's 100% real.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A reddit thread is your evidence?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Taxi drivers only pick up people in less profitable or dangerous areas because they are required to by condition of having their medallion

Is it really so strange that uber drivers don't?

Those medallions exist for other reasons, too. In areas where taxis are not very profitable, they exist so that a small handful of cabs can still make money with an enforced monopoly. Otherrwise cabbies just congregate to the highest value possible areas.

I see no good reason that uber/lyft should not have to abide by the same regulations as taxis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As someone who has used Uber, I agree with the statement that it affords the consumer some advantages, but I also agree that there's nothing that prevents taxis from adopting those advantages, whether via government regulation or by their own attempt to stay relevant in the market.

I don't think those advantages are worth the unscrupulous practices that Uber imposes on its drivers.

I've used the service when I absolutely need to get a taxi quickly and directly such as during bad weather, and even then it costs me thrice as much as a regular taxi fare, if not more.

Finally, I feel strongly against the idea of Uber in places like Singapore and Japan, where the public transportation system is very well developed.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Finally, I feel strongly against the idea of Uber in places like Singapore and Japan, where the public transportation system is very well developed.

Huh?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If the commuter system is good enough that you wouldn't need to use a taxi in the first place, I don't see the need to have Uber as a taxi alternative, either.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess you haven't spent time in Singapore and Japan.
There's definitely a space for taxi/Uber services to exist between public transport and private car ownership.

Rain for the former country and past midnight for the latter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

It is why I'm leaning towards voting straight R. Why die a death of a thousand cuts when we could just burn in nuclear fire?

I know accelerationists are looked down on here and I get it, but seriously Hillary will be 4 more years of grand bargains and a couple of social changes that equal out to not lifting people up but dragging then into poverty.

Edit: I know Supreme Court picks! Guess what they won't go through ig the D'a do not take the Senate.

I am angry that when Republicans control one branch of government they are able to get some loathsome Republican policies passed.

Therefore I will try to put Republicans in charge of all branches of government.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
So, any analysis of last night's debate? Did Jeb; finally make a manly assertion of his divine right to the throne? Did Trump finally turn his withering gaze upon Cruz? Did Ben Carson evince a pulse?

My liver thanks yours for its sacrifice.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They were all trying to be Trump except Kasich who was being Kasich. Trump was the only one who offered a concrete plan for doing anything about terrorism other than "bomb Raqqa to the ground" and that was "shut down the internet" plus he super slammed Jeb! straight to hell so expect all his numbers to go up again.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the full text of the omnibus. Enjoy all its delicious 2,009 pages.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, did HR 2029 (VA funding) make it in the omnibus bill and if so at Senate levels or house levels?

Starts on page 1,090

http://www.scribd.com/doc/293404669/Read-omnibus-spending-bill-text

Alligator Horse fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 16, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

They were all trying to be Trump except Kasich who was being Kasich. Trump was the only one who offered a concrete plan for doing anything about terrorism other than "bomb Raqqa to the ground" and that was "shut down the internet" plus he super slammed Jeb! straight to hell so expect all his numbers to go up again.

Seeing Jeb get so exasperated was a pretty good image.

And after the Clinton e-mail nonsense would be interesting to hear if Fiorinas "truckload of equipment/NSA" story turned out to be as well, since that seemed kind of odd.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

It is why I'm leaning towards voting straight R. Why die a death of a thousand cuts when we could just burn in nuclear fire?

I know accelerationists are looked down on here and I get it, but seriously Hillary will be 4 more years of grand bargains and a couple of social changes that equal out to not lifting people up but dragging then into poverty.

Edit: I know Supreme Court picks! Guess what they won't go through ig the D'a do not take the Senate.

This is the kind of thought/action that someone who is not clear-headed (depressed) has/makes and then regrets later, if they care enough.

Stop being an idiot.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://jezebel.com/warrant-issued-for-ethan-couch-teen-who-suffered-from-1748239077

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_hpI0tMZac

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you're wondering, the omnibus and tax extenders are separate bills in the House, but will be sent to the Senate as a combined bill.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Boon posted:

This is the kind of thought/action that someone who is not clear-headed (depressed) has/makes and then regrets later, if they care enough.

Stop being an idiot.

Your right. I was being an idiot. The long republican debates put me in a depressed mood combined with alcohol and I was thinking the funding bill had clean water roll backs attached didn't mix well.

I don't plan on voting "R" and the nuclear fire was not meant as literal nuclear fire.

We just need to stick it out 4, 8, or 30 years and hope a recession, 9/11, or scandal doesn't cause the US to topple to the right any more.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Paging Joementum

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/15/459812699/why-the-politics-of-the-star-wars-universe-makes-no-sense

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there any biological reason why people like this (another example is shrekli) have to have the faces they do?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Is there any biological reason why people like this (another example is shrekli) have to have the faces they do?

They have a normal chromosome 21.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My main takeaway from last night is that we're a nation of scared little babies who's attention span on the issues that really matter in the day to day lives of most of us basically lasts till the latest foreign boogyman shows up. It's kinda pathetic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

My main takeaway from last night is that we're a nation of scared little babies who's attention span on the issues that really matter in the day to day lives of most of us basically lasts till the latest foreign boogyman shows up. It's kinda pathetic.

Good morning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Have we discussed Marco Rubio and other senators trying to ban municipal ISPs?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CommieGIR posted:

Have we discussed Marco Rubio and other senators trying to ban municipal ISPs?

Literally every policy they're espousing is bad for America.

I wonder how many times the word 'safe' was said last night. I'd guarantee it was over 100.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

Well, at least "the republican party is scared little babies whose attention span" etc. etc.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LeeMajors posted:

Literally every policy they're espousing is bad for America.

I wonder how many times the word 'safe' was said last night. I'd guarantee it was over 100.

there's prolly a transcript you can run through word cloud or something

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

I guess you haven't spent time in Singapore and Japan.
There's definitely a space for taxi/Uber services to exist between public transport and private car ownership.

Rain for the former country and past midnight for the latter.

Uber hails cabs though? UberX is the nontaxi one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What bothered me most about the debate last night (from both an ideological and linguistic perspective) was the resurgence of the phrase "hate us for our freedom(s)."

I get the primal urge to just punch something whenever I hear that loving phrase.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well, at least "the republican party is scared little babies whose attention span" etc. etc.

Nah most democrats are too. Replace foreign boogeyman with the latest social justice hot topic.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The GOP has become a hawkish caricature. Literally they only things they care about are military might and corporate profits.

None of them are even remotely concerned with things that affect normal people. It's really depressing how disheartening that is.

Just bullshit posturing. I never thought I'd see the day when the subversive, destructive hawkishness of W's administration would seem adorable by comparison, but here we are.

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah most democrats are too. Replace foreign boogeyman with the latest social justice hot topic.

Ummm.....social justice issues actually affect millions of Americans?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr Hootington posted:

Blow it out your rear end. The SCOTUS is literally attempting to roll back the Civil Rights Era, this is the made up bullshit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Hootington posted:

Sorry transgender people, I guess you're just a social justice hot topic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Social Justice Hot Topic is my favorite store at the mall.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LeeMajors posted:

Ummm.....social justice issues actually affect millions of Americans?

As a normal white male I am unaffected by this and see it only as yet another a circular firing squad preventing full communism.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Hootington posted:

It's really come to the point where if you use the phrase "social justice" you're just a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The problem with the modern Democratic Party is that it just doesn't pander to white men enough.

• Locked thread