Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

rabidsquid and black potus (and mcmagic in his capacity as a straight man) are basically the only things keeping this thread readable sometimes

Likewise, they are sometimes the only things making the thread unreadable. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

bhsman posted:

Likewise, they are sometimes the only things making the thread unreadable. :shrug:

this is actually never a thing that's true

I'm concerned that spoiler season is going to be worse than usual after this mass spoil. There won't be enough new cards to stem the tide of vomit-inducing opinions.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There was a full spoiler a few years ago because of that godbook nonsense but I can't remember the consequences here other than people arguing whether or not having access to the godbook for playtesting purposes was significant

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

It's really hard to cast Nissa with Calciform Pools. Not that you can't, for instance in legacy you can use Green Mana Battery,

I'd Plant a +1/+1 counter in her Calciform Pool, if you know what I'm saying.

...Look I'm really trying to make this Calciform Pools thing work, I am lifting with my legs here.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Procrastinator posted:

this is actually never a thing that's true

Usually it's fine, realtalk, but 10% of the time or so potus just keeps hammering on a joke with consecutive posts and it's just not doing it for me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Procrastinator posted:

The difference between Nissa and Gideon is that Nissa's tokens are a + ability, not a 0.

The difference between First Response and Bitterblossom is that Bitterblossom costs 2 less, is a different color has a relevant tribal, the tokens fly and you can't optionally choose to trigger the token generation. But otherwise, they're the same card man!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe we should take a deep breath and realize that we haven't even seen the rares in this set, and are arguing in circles about power level in a vaccuum?

I don't personally plan to take nissa as my only posession when this planet finally gets sick and tired of us and decides to kill everyone who doesn't escape, in rickety spacecraft, to the small mars colony built only 20 years before, you know? Much better to take calciform pools. That's a drat dependable card, that is.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I'm over Oath, now I just want Shadows over Innistrad spoilers.

I hope whatever new Innistrad planeswalker has an ultimate that just keeps casting Spider Spawning on your end step.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't think they're gonna make Conley Woods a planeswalker

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chyea posted:

I'm over Oath, now I just want Shadows over Innistrad spoilers.

I hope whatever new Innistrad planeswalker has an ultimate that just keeps casting Spider Spawning on your end step.

Tibalt as a Jund planeswalker.

His ultimate gives you an emblem with 'At EOT, draw a card, discard a card at random, then Spider Spawning.'

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

There was a full spoiler a few years ago because of that godbook nonsense but I can't remember the consequences here other than people arguing whether or not having access to the godbook for playtesting purposes was significant

I think the only consequences of that were a dude getting sued and Wizards trying to be way tighter with leaks going forward.

Unless this is a different instance of huge leaks that I'm not thinking of?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

More likely they are talking about when it turned out Guillaume Wafo-Tapa (I think I have the right Guillaume there...) was using the godbooks he got as a reference to write for a magazine to get a head start in PT testing, and in doing so, shared it with his testing partners (who then bragged about it on IRC and got caught).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, we coulda talked about the "what's the play" but everyone hates Twin, so...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, we coulda talked about the "what's the play" but everyone hates Twin, so...

The correct play is to stall until the news of Twin's banning comes through.

Unfortunately, that causes a draw as both you and your opponent lose, but it's still the best play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

The correct play is to stall until the news of Twin's banning comes through.

Unfortunately, that causes a draw as both you and your opponent lose, but it's still the best play.

I would have said Remand later, but I mean, it's your call

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I don't play Modern, but Twin doesn't seem all that bad since every time you attempt the combo you risk getting 2-for-1'ed or otherwise hosed over by any form of instant-speed interaction.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Voyager I posted:

I don't play Modern, but Twin doesn't seem all that bad since every time you attempt the combo you risk getting 2-for-1'ed or otherwise hosed over by any form of instant-speed interaction.

It creates very tight restrictions on when and what you can spend your mana on, especially on turns 3 or 4, because you have to respect a blind Exarch into Twin. The part that's so frustrating about Twin is that it's, at its core, a servicable U/R tempo deck that gives up a small bit of power to be able to steal games on the spot. If you were to ban Twin, U/R tempo would still be a very good deck -it might even be better, because some of those concessions are among the most powerful cards in both Legacy and Vintage.

Niton fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 16, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is there anything that replaces Jace in that 4-color CoCo deck? I finally got the manabase together and that motherfucker is the only thing I can't justify putting money behind.

Jace does a couple of big things for the deck; he improves your hand while also letting you fill your graveyard for Rally, he lets you flashback CoCo to get even more creatures in play, and he does this all while being a viable CoCo target himself. I don't think there's anything that replaces those abilities, so your best bet is probably just to look for other viable CoCo targets with useful ETBs in your colors, or just in general any creature that is essentially a desirable spell attached to a body since those can get CoCo'ed, Rallied, and work as fuel for your sac engine. I wouldn't key in too hard on the actual mana cost; the deck cuts its curve off at 3 mana to work with CoCo, so it's naturally going to have a big cluster there, and even without Jace you're already running liked a dozen 1-2 drops.

Fleshbag Marauder might be an interesting choice. Nothing's going to really replace what Jace brings to the deck, but you could get a lot of value out of it against decks that don't run wide.

EDIT: In general, the Rally Decks focus a little more on creatures with good ETBs than pure sac value dudes like Sultai Emissary since the gameplan is to trigger them multiple times with Rally or even go Rally > bounce with Faithful for a third trigger, though they're still certainly not bad fits for the deck if you just need a filler card.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 16, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Voyager I posted:

The reason why Twin isn't as oppressive as it sounds is this coupled with the fact that every viable deck can interact with the combo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Splinter Twin is always going to be fine and isn't remotely the only turn 4 deck in Modern. It's just the only turn 4 deck killing you with two cards in one turn.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

The reason it's frustrating to play against is that twin commonly puts you into a lose-lose situation. You have to keep up mana to disrupt the combo, so often you are passing despite having productive plays to make. But the deck can sneak out flash creatures (Snapcaster, Clique, Pestermite) that slowly beat you down while you're holding up mana to disrupt the combo. You either need to ignore their combo and hope you win faster through their disruption (Amulet Bloom, Storm, Bogles, Infect, Affinity), or hope to have enough disruption to overcome both (a) the combo and (b) their creatures (Grixis control, various forms of Delver, Jund).

I don't think Twin is overpowered, or needs to be banned. But the fact that it has two very powerful routes to winning the game and is constantly holding one over your head like a sledgehammer if you make the tiniest mistake is why Twin is so good/dominant.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Does Origins Jace have a place outside of Standard? Is its price likely to drop once he rotates? Should I bite the bullet and grab some asap? Is my hatred for that stupid card justified?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Alris posted:

Does Origins Jace have a place outside of Standard? Is its price likely to drop once he rotates? Should I bite the bullet and grab some asap? Is my hatred for that stupid card justified?

Yes, it's playable in Legacy and Modern and a couple of Vintage decks. The price will likely go down after he rotates out (in 6 months?) but it's a very good card and a mythic rare so the price won't fall too much.

Edit: Can I also say this that this standard really confuses me? We have a Vintage-restricted card and a Modern-banned card (Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time) that we can play 4 of each, as well as Vintage-playable finishers (Monastery Mentor) and planeswalkers (baby Jace). How is there not a deck that takes full advantage of these? Is Wet Mardu the best we can do?

Lancelot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 16, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Alris posted:

Yes, to some degree but not as much as people might assume, depends on if you're playing a blue deck, and not while we exist in a world where abzan has been either the bsst deck (last standard) or one of the best decks for more than a year.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lancelot posted:

I don't think Twin is overpowered, or needs to be banned. But the fact that it has two very powerful routes to winning the game and is constantly holding one over your head like a sledgehammer if you make the tiniest mistake is why Twin is so good/dominant.

Twin is in a very weird spot - it's the best deck of its type in the format, but it's not the best deck by all that much. Splinter Twin leaving the format would certainly shake things up, but there would still be viable U/R/x tempo decks.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
LotV dropped to about 30-40 at rotation, I expect at least that for flip jace.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Nissa's +1 is a bit underwhelming in that the token isn't particularly strong but the real threat is to pseudo-anthem more than once. The thing is if you get to -2 nissa twice your team of whatever is going to be pretty stupidly hard to deal with. On top of that nissa's -2 plays pretty well with manlands and unlike awaken doesn't make them vulnerable to sorcery speed removal and awakening manlands is already awesome.

Nissa, ignoring mana cost, is definitely usually weaker than gideon, but her mana cost and the significantly greater feasibility of her pumping your team twice are distinct advantages she has over gideon. Nissa definitely looks good in a tokens shell which if you include both esper and bant is a deck that sits just shy of top 8'ing a lot of GPs and the last PT as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

It's a load bearing post.

A load of poo poo? :haw:

Zoness posted:

Nissa's +1 is a bit underwhelming in that the token isn't particularly strong but the real threat is to pseudo-anthem more than once. The thing is if you get to -2 nissa twice your team of whatever is going to be pretty stupidly hard to deal with. On top of that nissa's -2 plays pretty well with manlands and unlike awaken doesn't make them vulnerable to sorcery speed removal and awakening manlands is already awesome.

Nissa, ignoring mana cost, is definitely usually weaker than gideon, but her mana cost and the significantly greater feasibility of her pumping your team twice are distinct advantages she has over gideon. Nissa definitely looks good in a tokens shell which if you include both esper and bant is a deck that sits just shy of top 8'ing a lot of GPs and the last PT as well.

Bant tokens is the deck that I wish was in the "Just Good Enough for Top 8" category. That deck is fun as hell.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 16, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It's not even close to a full time job, and I'm not sure what being very good at a thing has to do with whether one should be able to make a living wage doing it.

As far as I can tell from looking through stream replays, their "work day" is something like 9 hours three days in a row, though maybe closer to 7 once you account for all the breaks between rounds.

They're still probably breaking 20 hours in 3 days, and thats if you don't account for the travel. If you include travel, and definitely if you include the amount of time that they have to be on call to chat between rounds, it's really easy to just call this a full time job.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
there's a new shadows over innistrad picture or something featured that shows jace and people are speculating because of the black tones and shades he have we might be getting a Dimir Jace Walker

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That or everything had shadows over it back in Innistrad and he might just be blue as usual. He might have a blacker than usual ability because Innistrad, but I doubt he'll do a Garruk.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

Long suspensions. The person who leaked it, and the person who was responsible for giving it to the leaker both got long suspensions.

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/matignon-wafo-tapa-suspended-for-godbook-leak/

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Twin gotcha's poor-mediocre players who think playing around it is some huge drawback. Its funny how Jund manages to wipe the floor with Twin generally and it "has to hold up two mana for abrupt decay all the time" it isn't some insanely burdensome restriction that can't be surmounted. Yes you don't do stuff, but also neither do they if they aren't twinning. If they're just sitting on remand and you're sitting on a removal spell, nothing happens. Then you build up mana, put out your threats and still have the ability to deal with twin. Or you play on their turn as much as possible and force them into bad situations. Watch a really good burn player who has excellent sequencing and timing dismantle a Twin player. It is beautiful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

jassi007 posted:

Twin gotcha's poor-mediocre players who think playing around it is some huge drawback. Its funny how Jund manages to wipe the floor with Twin

Isn't that in large part due to discard?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I wonder how much of a hit Jace takes once Khans rotates and fetches leave standard. He's still good, but reliably filling your graveyard with 2-3 cards by turn 3 or 4 just by playing lands absolutely contributes to his current power level (and his power level in older formats). He risks becoming way more Merfolk Looter and way less Reusable Snapcaster Mage.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that in large part due to discard?

Jund has many 1 and 2 cmc answers to Twin. They have to get to 5 or 6 mana and pray that you don't have abrupt decay while not getting killed by a goyf or wrecked by a liliana. Also pestermite sucks because it turns on Bolt to stop the combo. If you can pressure them as Jund you can force them to try to twin without countermagic backup and terminate them and you always have slaughter pact as an option to get them when they think the coast is clear.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I wonder how much of a hit Jace takes once Khans rotates and fetches leave standard. He's still good, but reliably filling your graveyard with 2-3 cards by turn 3 or 4 just by playing lands absolutely contributes to his current power level (and his power level in older formats). He risks becoming way more Merfolk Looter and way less Reusable Snapcaster Mage.

Which in a low power graveyard heavy format you probably don't mind much

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Flashback is almost certainly going to be a good reason to play straight Merfolk Looter also.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which in a low power graveyard heavy format you probably don't mind much

Yeah I can only see Jace becoming better once SOI comes out unless they do something dumb and make the set not graveyard focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Speculating on Jace's power post-rotation is way, way too early. It might be better to have looting for longer in SOI standard, it might not!

No one knows, so the only real thing we can say is that jace is easier to flip with fetchlands than without. We don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing for his playability.

• Locked thread