Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

infernal machines posted:

:psypop:

"Corruption exists, it's better if we don't see it when seeing it can cause harm and produce no benefit",

FTFY

quote:

"This could maybe look bad, so it's better if we don't know"

Not sure who's saying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Harper spent 10 years hiding everything he did (unless it helped his strong, stable, economic and secure Canada farce). The Liberals attacked him constantly on his lack of transparency and then immediately start doing the same thing on something that has no reason to be hidden from the public in the first place.

e: It hurts no one. You are grasping at straws to try and justify it. Who cares if some whiny conservative dipshits start yelling about "LIBERAL CORRUPTION :derp:" and boycott the companies involved. They are not the majority by any means and should not be the ones that the government caters to.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
so anyone else read the stupid attack on Trudeau for the Baltic states thing

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

so anyone else read the stupid attack on Trudeau for the Baltic states thing

Yes. In my email inbox.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ran into to Kent Hehr this morning, nice to say hi and have a quick chat on the street with a minister.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sliderule posted:

FTFY

Not sure who's saying that.

The benefit it produces is an open and transparent government, I would assume the value of that would be self evident. The harm of not releasing it is speculation and innuendo, and fostering distrust of the government when they take action that would otherwise be supported.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

The benefit it produces is an open and transparent government, I would assume the value of that would be self evident. The harm of not releasing it is speculation and innuendo, and fostering distrust of the government when they take action that would otherwise be supported.

On one hand you have a boring, if expedited, procurement document available to FOIA that is only of interest to a handful of racists that will never ever ever actually submit a FOIA request.

On the other, you have a shady deal proving that Libs are Libbing again, and it only took them 6 weeks to start. And they are using Conservative tactics to do it.

Seems odd that people that support the Liberals would choose the latter option.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Helsing posted:

I don't think anyone has even brought up competitive procurement for what is obviously a priority issue. I do however believe that as a citizen of a democracy it's my right to have my government's spending -- especially when it's been transferred to a private business -- be visible and traceable. And I certainly don't accept that the government can just choose not to tell me this information by mumbling something about "security".

Helsing posted:

It's bizarre to see people pending over backwards to justify the government refusing to disclose who it's paying and how much it is paying them on the grounds of something as nebulous as "security".

This is unacceptable for the very simple reason that it continues the feedback loop between private business and the current governing party. We've got a long history of this in Canada and we know what it creates: a feedback loop of corruption. It amounts on an invisible tax on everything the government does: instead of getting the best deal the government reroutes it's purchases through friendly suppliers and lets them overcharge. Then those politicians get extra money and resources to remain in power.

It's not a matter of this being a large or small purchase. It's about the kind of institutional culture that these attitudes perpetuate. As the old saying goes, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I understood this to be about competitive procurement as well as non-disclosure about vendors used, my apologies if that's not what you meant.

A lot of senior management in the public service is still trying to get over the battered spouse syndrome that the previous government inflicted. If this deference to "national security" continues in a few months then yeah, I think they will deserve all the ire that comes their way.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ocrumsprug posted:

On one hand you have a boring, if expedited, procurement document available to FOIA that is only of interest to a handful of racists that will never ever ever actually submit a FOIA request.

On the other, you have a shady deal proving that Libs are Libbing again, and it only took them 6 weeks to start. And they are using Conservative tactics to do it.

Seems odd that people that support the Liberals would choose the latter option.

The thing is, if you spent the last 8 years crying foul over the Conservatives' opaque governing it's mighty hypocritical to do an about face just because it's now your team doing it.

If it was bad when the Conservatives did it (it was), then it's still bad now, no matter how noble the intentions.

Edit: I though the point of Real Change™ was to have *better* government, not the same poo poo under different colours

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 15, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side I'm still enjoying Liberal Corruption chat far more than Conservatives Deleting Science chat.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

brucio posted:

I understood this to be about competitive procurement as well as non-disclosure about vendors used, my apologies if that's not what you meant.

A lot of senior management in the public service is still trying to get over the battered spouse syndrome that the previous government inflicted. If this deference to "national security" continues in a few months then yeah, I think they will deserve all the ire that comes their way.

Fair enough, I can see how I was coming off that way. Lack of competitive procurement is sometimes a part of the problem but the point I was making was more general: that in the absence of oversight the temptation toward some kind of corruption will become nearly overwhelming. Even in the absence of competing vendors, for instance, the government might simply accept a higher race on supplies than it needed to become instead of negotiating on behalf of the citizenry they're actually using the entire deal was a backdoor payoff to party supporters. That's really my underlying point here: the form that corruption takes will vary, which is why transparency is so important as the first line of defense against shady government practices.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

McCallum was the one who said they weren't releasing cost for security reasons I believe.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

McCallum was the one who said they weren't releasing cost for security reasons I believe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/12/15/suppliers-for-syrian-refugee-welcome-kits-kept-secret-for-security-reasons_n_8809924.html

quote:

The government is taking "exceptional measures" to provide welcome kits to Syrian refugees, but the suppliers of goods and services will be kept secret for security reasons.

Remi Lariviere, a spokesperson for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, said procuring the items to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees is being done as "efficiently and cost-effectively" as possible. But details around costs will not be disclosed.

"Given the security implications of this initiative, the government of Canada, as per the National Security Exception, will not disclose the identity of any supplier or the location of where the work will be done," he said.

The government website says the exception can be invoked to exclude Canada from international trade agreement obligations for security reasons.

I wonder, if they would do that to avoid NAFTA obligations..

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

More generally, this is about how we want the government to behave, and not specifically "uggh, Liberals". Even if it may be used to justify the latter, it shouldn't justify compromise about the former.

Weak excuses involving national security don't help.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lack of competitive procurement might be a part of the problem yes.

Obviously you're not gonna run a full process under these timelines but that doesn't mean you need to sole source the contracts either. That's how you get taken behind the woodshed by vendors or end up with friends getting government contracts.

Lack of transparency makes it hard for anyone to tell if that's happening here.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I can see why the rebel is starting to show up all over my facebook
They create nice easy to swallow narratives that make perfect sense if you have no understanding of the issue.

Like the one my parents just watched (yea I know. :( ). If Notely was actually getting death threats why didn't she go to the police instead of going to work and crying about it? If a women is in danger doesn't she go to a battered women's shelter instead of staying at home?

You know leaving out the part where the Alberta sherrifs are investigating and the RCMP put out a statement saying stop forwarding threats to us send them to the Alberta sherrifs.

I also like that there is now a Facebook petition going around to demand elections Canada call a new election in Alberta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Demon_Corsair posted:

I also like that there is now a Facebook petition going around to demand elections Canada call a new election in Alberta.

Why? Because a bunch of rural bumpkin goatfuckers are disappointed they have to treat their employees decently?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PT6A posted:

Why? Because a bunch of rural bumpkin goatfuckers are disappointed they have to treat their employees decently?

Why else, you expect rurals to have actual thought processes behind this crap?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

PT6A posted:

Yup. Because bill 6 was Notely acting like a dictator and imposing her will on the province.

But more because their team lost and gently caress the other team.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I haven't seen it mentioned here (though if it has I apologize) but recently our Chief Medical Officer here in NB got sacked by Gallant. Supposedly she was studying the glyphosate herbicide that JDI and NB Power have been spraying on the trees when she was notified she was going on leave. Now the provincial Liberals are taking flak because they won't say why they fired her and keep insisting it's on Cleary to release this information.

Haha Libs gunna Lib... :suicide:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Demon_Corsair posted:

But more because their team lost and gently caress the other team.

End thread------

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Stretch Marx posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned here (though if it has I apologize) but recently our Chief Medical Officer here in NB got sacked by Gallant. Supposedly she was studying the glyphosate herbicide that JDI and NB Power have been spraying on the trees when she was notified she was going on leave. Now the provincial Liberals are taking flak because they won't say why they fired her and keep insisting it's on Cleary to release this information.

Haha Libs gunna Lib... :suicide:

Yeah, the government in every Atlantic province is so shady. Hopefully David Coon takes them to task on this.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
One nice thing about the Liberals is they have the guts to fire drama queen Chief Medical Officers.

Stretch Marx posted:

Can we burn the CBC to the ground yet? This is such bush league garbage journalism, this is exactly how the CBC story starts.

quote:

New Brunswick's chief medical officer of health was working on a study of the controversial herbicide glyphosate when she was put on leave, CBC News has learned.

Dr. Eilish Cleary wrote to a Kent County resident in August that her office would be "developing a plan to further explore" the herbicide, which is used in New Brunswick by forestry company J.D. Irving Ltd. and by NB Power.

Glyphosate is also known as Roundup and it's hardly controversial. It's the most common herbicide in Canada. We spray roughly 100 million gallons of it on roundup ready soybeans alone. Ontario banned regular people from using it 2009ish with zero pushback, I doubt this lady got fired for investigating it. Only farmers, including myself and forestry workers are allowed to use it and we have to take a pesticides course first. The most dangerous thing about it is that people use too low of a dose and evolve herbicide resistant weeds which are actually pretty scary.

If forestry companies weren't allowed to use roundup, they'd still be licensed to use something stronger like 2,4-D, triclopyr or dicamba. Most of them do anyways because you're supposed to rotate herbicide families so you kill anything that develops resistance. If they banned glyphosate, farmers couldn't grow roundup ready soybeans and corn, they'd go back to using a more harmful pre-emergent like Atrazine.

Ignoring the fact that we don't like the Irving family, why does the CBC have to specify "which is used by JDI"? Why not just "which is also known as Roundup" or "which is also used by hundreds of thousands of farmers and forestry companies across Canada"? Why do they have to insinuate a connection between the government investigating scary chemicals, this lady getting fired and JDI? They had exactly zero things to do with the story. CBC didn't even ask them for a comment (presumably because of how ridiculous it would sound).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

One nice thing about the Liberals is they have the guts to fire drama queen Chief Medical Officers.

Can we burn the CBC to the ground yet? This is such bush league garbage journalism, this is exactly how the CBC story starts.

Glyphosate is also known as Roundup and it's hardly controversial. It's the most common herbicide in Canada. We spray roughly 100 million gallons of it on roundup ready soybeans alone. Ontario banned regular people from using it 2009ish with zero pushback, I doubt this lady got fired for investigating it. Only farmers, including myself and forestry workers are allowed to use it and we have to take a pesticides course first. The most dangerous thing about it is that people use too low of a dose and evolve herbicide resistant weeds which are actually pretty scary.

If forestry companies weren't allowed to use roundup, they'd still be licensed to use something stronger like 2,4-D, triclopyr or dicamba. Most of them do anyways because you're supposed to rotate herbicide families so you kill anything that develops resistance. If they banned glyphosate, farmers couldn't grow roundup ready soybeans and corn, they'd go back to using a more harmful pre-emergent like Atrazine.

Ignoring the fact that we don't like the Irving family, why does the CBC have to specify "which is used by JDI"? Why not just "which is also known as Roundup" or "which is also used by hundreds of thousands of farmers and forestry companies across Canada"? Why do they have to insinuate a connection between the government investigating scary chemicals, this lady getting fired and JDI? They had exactly zero things to do with the story. CBC didn't even ask them for a comment (presumably because of how ridiculous it would sound).

But what if the roundup-ready seeds land on my property and I specifically try to isolate those plants and cultivate their seeds, knowing exactly what I'm doing all the while, and then I get sued? What then??? I can bitch for years, and try my best to derail an entire industry while knowingly being a perfidious son of a bitch, but will that be enough?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Glyphosate has been getting a lot of bad press lately ever since the IARC classified it as a Group 2A carcinogen back in March. Other deadly substances found in Group 2A include red meat and potato chips! THE HORROR!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Try and find me something that doesn't cause cancer, according to the State of California, and I'll be really impressed :v:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

But what if the roundup-ready seeds land on my property and I specifically try to isolate those plants and cultivate their seeds, knowing exactly what I'm doing all the while, and then I get sued? What then??? I can bitch for years, and try my best to derail an entire industry while knowingly being a perfidious son of a bitch, but will that be enough?

They "landed" on your property? Like a crow or something stole them, dropped them and poof? If they're gen 1 seeds, you might be okay because they came off patent this year. Supposedly, you can legally save seed from your own crops to re-plant on your own land now.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/roundup-ready-patent-expiration.aspx

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ikantski posted:

They "landed" on your property? Like a crow or something stole them, dropped them and poof? If they're gen 1 seeds, you might be okay because they came off patent this year. Supposedly, you can legally save seed from your own crops to re-plant on your own land now.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/roundup-ready-patent-expiration.aspx

PT6A is pretending to be Percy Schmeiser.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Let's lay off this herbicide derail and get talking about the real issue facing the nation: the Liberal party's shameful cronyist patronage of Big Coat and the National Mitten Cartel.

God, I love this country.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Constant Hamprince posted:

Let's lay off this herbicide derail and get talking about the real issue facing the nation: the Liberal party's shameful cronyist patronage of Big Coat and the National Mitten Cartel.

Well if you watched the GOP debate last night, I think I'm ok with herbicide, food, craft beer, OLP chat after "Let's murder their families" chat from the US GOP candidates.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

While it had previously been reported that one black protester was assaulted by security as a Trump supporter shouted, “Light that motherf*cker on fire!” a reporter from MSNBC said a large middle-aged man shouted, “Sieg heil!” — a Nazi-era salute — while one protester was hauled away.

In video from NBC (see below), the shout can clearly be heard

Another man — described as wearing a “glittering black suit” — was heard yelling, “He’s a Muslim! He’s a Muslim!” as a protester was escorted from the ballroom.

You see, the problem with saying the kinds of things I said about Harper is that I didn't leave myself any room to expand. Same reason the first gymnast in the competition never scores a ten, cause if the next one's better than her the judges can't show it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Well if you watched the GOP debate last night, I think I'm ok with herbicide, food, craft beer, OLP chat after "Let's murder their families" chat from the US GOP candidates.

I dunno, Carson's plan to bring peace to the Middle East by specifically carpet bombing thousands of innocent children sure seemed to get more applause from the crowd that Trump's plan to murder the families of suspected terrorists.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
CanPol Megathread: Where Canadians argue over the 10 billion in the budget and convince ourselves we aren't racist

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I dunno, Carson's plan to bring peace to the Middle East by specifically carpet bombing thousands of innocent children sure seemed to get more applause from the crowd that Trump's plan to murder the families of suspected terrorists.

Pretty sure it amounts to the same thing. Though Cruz suddenly realising that there is no such thing as precision carpet bombing was definitely a thing. I'm glad we dodged that bullet. Imagine him leading the Wild Rose?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Constant Hamprince posted:

Yeah, it's the mittens we're mad about, not the government using "national security" to hide spending data.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

sliderule posted:

Taxis in Toronto drive like complete assholes and continually violate the rules of the road: using merge lanes to pass traffic, failing to signal, performing unsafe maneuvers, overall driving selfishly at the expense of others.

Them complaining about UberX drivers breaking the rules is laughable. I'll shed a tear the day I see a Taxi driving courteously.

I remember living in downtown Toronto, and nearly getting run over by cabs almost daily whilst crossing the street in a crosswalk with the light.

Of course, now I spend most of my time in St. Catharines, where I experience much the same thing, except with regular cars. Also, does nobody in St. Catharines understand what a turning signal is for?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Stretch Marx posted:

Pretty sure it amounts to the same thing. Though Cruz suddenly realising that there is no such thing as precision carpet bombing was definitely a thing. I'm glad we dodged that bullet. Imagine him leading the Wild Rose?

The longer these guys talk the more I think their wall on the border is a drat good idea.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

The longer these guys talk the more I think their wall on the border is a drat good idea.

That was my dad's remark about it as well and admittedly I had a good laugh at it.

So who appoints the head of the BoC? Can Trudeau tell Poloz to gently caress off and appoint a new guy or is there an actual process for doing so? Id take a Furby running on a potato battery over Poloz at this point since he does more harm than good every time he opens his mouth.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

That was my dad's remark about it as well and admittedly I had a good laugh at it.

So who appoints the head of the BoC? Can Trudeau tell Poloz to gently caress off and appoint a new guy or is there an actual process for doing so? Id take a Furby running on a potato battery over Poloz at this point since he does more harm than good every time he opens his mouth.

The Governor and the Senior Deputy Governor are appointed by the independent directors with the approval of the Governor in Council (the federal Cabinet) for a seven-year term.

He was appointed in 2013, so we're stuck with his dumb rear end for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

McGavin posted:

Glyphosate has been getting a lot of bad press lately ever since the IARC classified it as a Group 2A carcinogen back in March. Other deadly substances found in Group 2A include red meat and potato chips! THE HORROR!

Yeah, it's like all the pushback against GMOs. Roundup has been getting a lot of bad press but it's how we've been growing cash crops like soybeans for years and years. :shrug:

It's always funny when some idiot plants their marijuana crop in the far corner of someone's field a week before they spray roundup. Sorry bout your weed crop bro.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 16, 2015