Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

It's really come to the point where if you use the phrase "social justice" you're just a moron.

I have no problem with "Social Justice," but I have an aneurism every time someone mentions "Community Justice" because 90% of the time I've heard that particular turn of phrase some particularly vile poo poo followed.

Like doxxing people on trial in the name of "justice," or getting the pitchforks out to drive out the undesirables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mitt Romney posted:

Please do explain how that strategy will help him secure the GOP nomination.

I didn't say that it would, but saying nothing is tantamount to accepting this racist bullshit and you can bet your rear end Hillary will make Cruz or Rubio burn for not outright rejecting it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I'm the one who posted that awesome interview. gently caress off.

The phrase has just been used in a pretty lovely way on the internet.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Fivethirtyeight has been funny lately.

quote:

natesilver: SANTORUM AND HUCKABEE ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/677158846108946432

so how many people are going to issue retractions now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gamergate has poisoned the words "feminism" and "social justice" and made them bad words. Anyone using the term "social justice" on the internet these days is usually scoffing at it. So in that way it's a useful litmus test to instantly identify people who suck.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Here's the full text for the tax extenders: http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20151214/121515.250_xml.pdf

A few are permanent, a few are through 2019, most are through 2016. The biggest (in dollar terms) are the Cadillac healthcare plan tax moratorium (mostly benefits union members) and the medical device tax moratorium.

Alternative tax credits still present, with a huge bow to biodiesal and bio-fuel sectors. The bit on Tax Administration is hilarious: apparently firing IRS employees acting politically in an offical capacity needed its own sub-clause.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Heritage Action made the omnibus a key vote and wants Republicans to vote no. They list their objections.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Um. What the hell?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Heritage Action made the omnibus a key vote and wants Republicans to vote no. They list their objections.

About when did scorecards become so influential?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Parents at a private Catholic high school in Detroit just now realized that they let Muslims (and anyone else who wants to) pray in their prayer room and are very angry about this because it will make their "religious education undetermined" because I guess Islam spreads through osmosis. The high school's official policy is that it does not discriminate against any religion and is not meant to specifically promote or convert students to Catholicism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One of the biggest winners in the omnibus: James Billington, who becomes Librarian Emeritus for the Library of Congress and gets to keep an office.

The bill also keeps in place a ban on federal interference with state-level marijuana laws.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ShutteredIn posted:

Um. What the hell?

FBI is in cahoots with conservatives :argh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ShutteredIn posted:

Um. What the hell?

I'm wondering if there are some wires crossed. Reuters's website has the "breaking" headline as "There is no evidence that the San Bernardino shooters were part of an organized cell: FBI", which makes a lot more sense.

EDIT: And now that "breaking" headline is gone too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So there was no "pledge of support to ISIS"?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Fox Ironic posted:

I have no problem with "Social Justice," but I have an aneurism every time someone mentions "Community Justice" because 90% of the time I've heard that particular turn of phrase some particularly vile poo poo followed.

Like doxxing people on trial in the name of "justice," or getting the pitchforks out to drive out the undesirables.

"Social justice" means conducting all aspects of interaction in a just form.

"Community justice" is a fancy phrase for a lynch mob.

zoux posted:

About when did scorecards become so influential?

Around the same time that Republicans became more afraid of the primary than the general.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

SedanChair posted:

it appears so, op

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
If I recall right the only overt thing that they had found on the couple was the woman "liked" some FB post months prior that had links to an extremist group right?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This only makes it worse, now you have to worry about Shadow Muslims that don't even post to Facebook :beck:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

According to a single tweet from Reuters with no corresponding article indicating how that news came to light and no mention of that headline on their website, yes.

Give it time to see if it's actually true.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

#SanBernardino shooters pledged jihad through private direct messages before meeting, @FBI director says. http://cnn.it/1O67F5p

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm wondering if there are some wires crossed. Reuters's website has the "breaking" headline as "There is no evidence that the San Bernardino shooters were part of an organized cell: FBI", which makes a lot more sense.

EDIT: And now that "breaking" headline is gone too.

Judging from the state of their apartment, these terrorists were their own unorganized cell.

shrike82 posted:

lol

#SanBernardino shooters pledged jihad through private direct messages before meeting, @FBI director says. http://cnn.it/1O67F5p

Tech companies should be held criminally liable for not immediately informing proper authorities when individuals pledge jihad through their platforms.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

shrike82 posted:

lol

Is the joke that the words the FBI director is using is not at all related to the tag line?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Im not sure why people here are still trying to spin the muslim terror attack as a workplace mishap.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

shrike82 posted:

Im not sure why people here are still trying to spin the muslim terror attack as a workplace mishap.

Hmm. Maybe perhaps because it has more in common with workplace violence than extremist jihadism?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hmm. Maybe perhaps because it has more in common with workplace violence than extremist jihadism?

It was a terrorist attack committed at the workplace.

If someone at your work supports the efforts of ISIL, they deserve to be interned.

Also, I find it quite unfortunate that we do not have legislation which prevents the next of kin from collecting terrorists' pensions. As a public employee, this terrorist will have death benefits for his next of kin. Terrorism should qualify for an automatic denial of those benefits; when you commit terrorism, your children shouldn't be rewarded with thousands of dollars.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

shrike82 posted:

I still think the best explanation is a couple of extremist Muslims might have been planning something bigger, but got so pissed of at a holiday party they decided to shoot that up instead.

I mean, in that vein: still workplace violence.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Since a group with heritage doesn't like the omnibus spending bill I am going to assume it's a net gain for society in general.

Oil exports is pretty lovely, though, since it will most certainly lead to environmental harm to wherever country wants to destroy their land in exchange for a few jobs. Except it likely fucks over Russia and gently caress they suck.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Doctor Butts posted:

I still think the best explanation is a couple of extremist Muslims might have been planning something bigger, but got so pissed of at a holiday party they decided to shoot that up instead.

I mean, in that vein: still workplace violence.

Are you saying we should increase hate and violence towards Muslims so we can cause them to prematurely attack? :smug:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Something I saw and forgot about until The Verge saw it too: the omnibus prevents any spending on efforts to divest ICANN as an international agency separate from the US Department of Commerce.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I was going to ask for a summary of the tax portions of the House deal, but found one while writing the post. Link in case anyone's interested.

Quite a bit in there, going to take some time to get through.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They're just planning ahead for President Trump's executive order to shut down the internet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Even if this is true, it won't matter. The damage is done. Ask anyone why the Columbine kids did it and they'll say they were bullied too much and snapped, even though that's not even close to true.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Maybe they are making a distinction between private direct messages and public postings viewable by everyone

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

haveblue posted:

They're just planning ahead for President Trump's executive order to shut down the internet.

If you are in ISIL territory, you do not deserve to use our internet.

Despite what Mark Zuckerberg may think, access to the internet is not a human right.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Donald Trump, by sheer virtue of recognizing a problem and having a (very bad) solution to it is immediately taking the whole thing more seriously than anyone else on stage tonight was.

I posted about it in the debate thread between chugs of scotch, but Trump, unlike any other candidate on the stage (or maybe even in the race), was able to sidestep every question, hone in on what the viewers wanted to hear, and hit it with precise force. It was an incredible thing to watch.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shageletic posted:

I posted about it in the debate thread between chugs of scotch, but Trump, unlike any other candidate on the stage (or maybe even in the race), was able to sidestep every question, hone in on what the viewers wanted to hear, and hit it with precise force. It was an incredible thing to watch.

I just don't understand how individuals can think that Hillary would win a debate with Trump.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

I just don't understand how individuals can think that Hillary would win a debate with Trump.

Depends what world you live in. Hillary would trounce him in a world governed by facts and evidence.

So yeah you're spot on for the wrong reason again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So I'm seeing some speculation that Ted Cruz said classified information at the debate last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

So I'm seeing some speculation that Ted Cruz said classified information at the debate last night?

He did. It's not the first time either.

• Locked thread