Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Has there been on real attack on Trump mainly and a few other candidates for saying that they will commit blatent warcrimes? From the sound of it Trump double downed at the debate and had some candidates saying the same thing. But killing families and non combatives is considered a war crime under US laws and the Geneva conventions. Let alone the ramifications to our countries national appearance and what that would do to relations with the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

that's also why we have these things called "regulations", to provide appropriate guidelines for what behavior might end you up in one of these so called "courts"
And your point is.....

The NYAG wanted Airbnb's entire unredacted customer database so they could go on a fishing expedition. Keep in mind, this is an agency with a long history of prosecutorial overreach. Airbnb said we believe giving you the whole thing is a violation of our users' privacy, but you're welcome to go over a redacted version and request info on specific hosts you would like to investigate further. The NYAG agreed to that and there haven't been any issues since. So what's the problem?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's as much workplace violence as 9/11 or OK City, in that it was violence that happened at a place of work.

No, it was violence that happened at a holiday party. A holiday party full of people from work.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

JT Jag posted:

Hey guys, have you ever stopped to consider the possibility that Donald Trump actually is the ubermensch: healthy as a track athlete teenager, has never been sick or suffered major injury, genius-level intellect, eidedic memory, 14 inch cock

Have you ever thought that maybe that's actually true, huh, huh???

No

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Has there been on real attack on Trump mainly and a few other candidates for saying that they will commit blatent warcrimes? From the sound of it Trump double downed at the debate and had some candidates saying the same thing. But killing families and non combatives is considered a war crime under US laws and the Geneva conventions. Let alone the ramifications to our countries national appearance and what that would do to relations with the rest of the world.

no, it turns out a solid third of the american electorate is unabashedly in favor of war crimes

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

Hey guys, have you ever stopped to consider the possibility that Donald Trump actually is the ubermensch: healthy as a track athlete teenager, has never been sick or suffered major injury, genius-level intellect, eidedic memory, 14 inch cock

still can't trust a man that doesn't drink

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

no, it turns out a solid third of the american electorate is unabashedly in favor of war crimes

Which third are you referring to?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fox Ironic posted:

I can't stop imagining his melty, grunting face.

His eyes go fully black when he climaxes

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

still can't trust a man that doesn't drink

trump? hosed up, if true

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gail Wynand posted:

And your point is.....

my point is that if you set up a service that allows people to easily skirt laws, and you do not have sufficient safeguards in place to prevent them from doing so, then you can find yourself in court

in this case, airbnb allows people to violate local housing ordinances as well as tenancy agreements, which is illegal

Mr Hootington posted:

Which third are you referring to?

the members of the GOP who think that carpet bombing isis is a good and ethical idea

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

joeburz posted:

trump? hosed up, if true

that's what his doctor, the greatest doctor, possibly the best, said

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Niton posted:

This seems unusually alarmist, even by this thread's standards. Why do you think something like this will strangle the economy in the face of declining production?

hollis mason is a loving idiot

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

His eyes go fully black when he climaxes

Embrace eternity.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Actually, if the stories from earlier in the election cycle about Trump beating/raping his ex-wives is accurate, the profile would suggest that he's either packing a laughably small sausage, or it barely works at all. Something to get him frustrated and violent.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 16, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fox Ironic posted:

I can't stop imagining his melty, grunting face.

He's like a 1950s jello salad gained sentience.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The economy will toot toot right along with cheap gas. I want .90 gas!

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

So what I'm hearing is, impeach Obama.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

my point is that if you set up a service that allows people to easily skirt laws, and you do not have sufficient safeguards in place to prevent them from doing so, then you can find yourself in court
Ok? And?

quote:

in this case, airbnb allows people to violate local housing ordinances as well as tenancy agreements, which is illegal
Airbnb itself is illegal according to whom? Not any court or law enforcement agency I'm aware of.

Airbnb's policy is that compliance with local laws is the responsibility of the host although they do assist in some cases like tax collection.

If it's as cut and dry as you say than we would see trial lawyers making a killing from Airbnb for tortious interference with rental agreements. Hasn't happened yet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

The NYAG wanted Airbnb's entire unredacted customer database so they could go on a fishing expedition. Keep in mind, this is an agency with a long history of prosecutorial overreach. Airbnb said we believe giving you the whole thing is a violation of our users' privacy, but you're welcome to go over a redacted version and request info on specific hosts you would like to investigate further. The NYAG agreed to that and there haven't been any issues since. So what's the problem?

Notice how you keep making claims without backing them up with evidence?

Like the way you describe things seems pretty "happy ending" except of course, when reality butts in. For example, Airbnb won't actually let anyone have direct access to the anonymous data if they request. The regulator or law enforcement agent has to travel to the Airbnb offices and review those anonymous records in person. Then they'd have to fight Airbnb to get the specific individual's data.

quote:

Through the heavy front door, up a marble staircase, past a receptionist on the second floor and down a long hallway, is a small, white-walled room, lit by 11 overhead bulbs, entirely unremarkable but for one thing—its recent repurposing as Airbnb’s exclusive “New York data room.”
I arrived in this room on Wednesday, Dec. 2, shortly after reading in the New York Times that Airbnb was supplying some data on its home rentals in the five boroughs. The release followed a public pledge from Airbnb last month to offer more details on its US operations in order to “build an open and transparent community.” The handover in New York City—Airbnb’s oldest, largest, and most complex US market—was the company’s grand overture. So it was surprising to read in the Times that rather than freely distribute the information to the press, the city, or the public, Airbnb had chosen for this data to be “available only by making an appointment to visit Airbnb’s New York City office.”
The compact promises transparency and cooperation, but does so in largely general and unspecific terms. It lays out a set of principles that, if not upheld, will only fuel critics who claim Airbnb deliberately ignores laws and obfuscates data around its most pernicious users. The compact was the entire premise for Airbnb’s long-awaited release of data on home-sharing in New York City. What the compact didn’t seem to explain was the rigmarole for seeing that data—the appointment, the trip to Civic Hall, the white-walled room with spreadsheets displayed on Airbnb laptops, which visitors were instructed that they could view and take notes on, but not photograph, screenshot, or otherwise copy.
“Well,” Petersmeyer says, “the first big step in making this compact real is to show to New York—the regulators, the public, the press—who our community actually is in the city, how they’re operating, and to dispel a lot of the myths that have been swirling around over the last few years.” The spreadsheets, he explains, are the combined effort of Airbnb’s data team, its New York business, and third parties who advised on how to provide information without compromising the privacy of Airbnb hosts. Disclose too much and an enterprising individual could figure out the names and locations of particular hosts, security experts have advised Airbnb.

So good luck investigating tax evaders when you can't even copy or screenshot the data you see. Oh yeah, and Airbnb has done everything they can to prevent you from being able to figure out the identifcation of any illegal rentals you spot via their data.

Also, you're wrong that airbnb has kicked out all the "commercial users" in the NYAG report:

quote:

Petersmeyer is referring to a critical October 2014 report from the New York attorney general that identified a thriving community of “commercial users”—those with three or more listings—on Airbnb’s platform. What’s funny is that the numbers in Airbnb’s more recent New York data aren’t all that different. The attorney general’s report, which analyzed data on Airbnb listings from January 2010 to June 2014, obtained through a subpoena, found that the 6% of commercial hosts on Airbnb offered 36% of all private listings and collected 37% of all host revenue. (A “private listing” is either an entire space, or a private room in a rental where the host may or may not be there during the stay.) The top 12 commercial users accepted 14,655 private rentals for more than $24.2 million—about 5% of host revenue—during the same period.

(http://www.fastcompany.com/3054286/just-how-many-airbnb-hotels-are-there-in-nyc)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

So what I'm hearing is, impeach Obama.

Only you and my corgi heard that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nonsense posted:

The economy will toot toot right along with cheap gas. I want .90 gas!

I would have more money to spend on consumer goods!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It'd be pretty cool if you guys would shut the gently caress up about AirBnB now

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

generally, staying out of court and on the legal side of the law is a major component of any sensible business plan

Gail Wynand posted:

Airbnb itself is illegal according to whom? Not any court or law enforcement agency I'm aware of.

Airbnb's policy is that compliance with local laws is the responsibility of the host although they do assist in some cases like tax collection.

no, violating laws is illegal

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"Guys, if the big banks had broken the law you'd see a bunch of trial lawyers making bank over mortgage lawsuits, so the big banks must be completely legal!"

- An idiot in 2007.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Notice how you keep making claims without backing them up with evidence?

Like the way you describe things seems pretty "happy ending" except of course, when reality butts in. For example, Airbnb won't actually let anyone have direct access to the anonymous data if they request. The regulator or law enforcement agent has to travel to the Airbnb offices and review those anonymous records in person. Then they'd have to fight Airbnb to get the specific individual's data.

So good luck investigating tax evaders when you can't even copy or screenshot the data you see. Oh yeah, and Airbnb has done everything they can to prevent you from being able to figure out the identifcation of any illegal rentals you spot via their data.
They're following data security best practices. Their employees can't take the data out of the office either.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

"Guys, if the big banks had broken the law you'd see a bunch of trial lawyers making bank over mortgage lawsuits, so the big banks must be completely legal!"

- An idiot in 2007.

Phew, thank god the big banks are gone now :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

They're following data security best practices. Their employees can't take the data out of the office either.

Do you work for Airbnb or something?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is an easy solution: At any time, NYC is free to enact legislation requiring that a company which contracts out temporary rents must list any individual or their entities which list 4 or more spaces in a public database.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

AmiYumi posted:

Actually, if the stories from earlier in the election cycle about Trump beating/raping his ex-wives is accurate, the profile would suggest that he's either packing a laughably small sausage, or it barely works at all. Something to get him frustrated and violent.

So Cruz and Trump have the smallest dicks.

Who has the biggest? Does Rand have greasy, curly pubes to match his hair? Can Kasich get an erection without mentioning his tenure in Ohio?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
AirBnB is trying to weasel its way into New Orleans as well which as a short term rental ban. Yet the company still allows people to list on their website. New Orleans has something like a 50% rental rate.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/11/new_orleans_airbnb_community_c.html

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gail Wynand posted:

So they trust their employees as much as federal investigators?

Usually not a good sign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

zoux posted:

Do you work for Airbnb or something?
No but I've met multiple people who do and talked to them about these issues.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

So they trust their employees as much as federal investigators?

Usually not a good sign.
Every major company in SV has the same policies regarding their customer data. An inordinate amount of data breaches come from laptops getting stolen or illicit software being loaded onto machines via connected devices.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JT Jag posted:

About as often as I consider the possibility that North Korea is a hyper advanced egalitarian utopia that our corrupt oligarchy is keeping us from joining

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gail Wynand posted:

No but I've met multiple people who do and talked to them about these issues.

lol good thing you've gotten that font of information free from self-serving bias

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pelosi is currently negotiating a tweak to the omnibus' oil export provision targeted at helping some Mid-Atlantic US refineries.

There could be other small adjustments in a manager's amendment.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

AirBnB is trying to weasel its way into New Orleans as well which as a short term rental ban. Yet the company still allows people to list on their website. New Orleans has something like a 50% rental rate.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/11/new_orleans_airbnb_community_c.html

Or how Airbnb refuses to give SF the data required to enforce their 90 ban: http://sfist.com/2015/12/14/city_cracks_down_on_airbnbvrbo_law.php

And here's an article in Salon about how Airbnb's numbers they do release are sometimes "estimates" that can be off by 2-3x: http://www.salon.com/2015/12/03/air...ryones_expense/

Gail Wynand posted:

Every major company in SV has the same policies regarding their customer data. An inordinate amount of data breaches come from laptops getting stolen or illicit software being loaded onto machines via connected devices.

Once again you're wrong, Ebay works hand-in-hand with regulators and law enforcement and turns over illegal ebay sellers all the time.

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/LawEnforcementCenter.html

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gail Wynand posted:

Are you suggesting tech companies don't sell customer data?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

joeburz posted:

lol good thing you've gotten that font of information free from self-serving bias
And you think that the campaigners against them are noble guardians of the public interest free of any personal biases or self-serving motivations?

I just think it's unfair to go after Airbnb when they are far from the worst actor in this space. Compared to Uber, they are saints.

• Locked thread