Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So that is what two clenched assholes look like.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

And you think that the campaigners against them are noble guardians of the public interest free of any personal biases or self-serving motivations?

I just think it's unfair to go after Airbnb when they are far from the worst actor in this space. Compared to Uber, they are saints.

So basically no number of news articles, AG reports or independent investigation will convince you then? You'll only trust airbinb employees about airbnb, so it seems rather pointless to try to discuss this with you.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gail Wynand posted:

And you think that the campaigners against them are noble guardians of the public interest free of any personal biases or self-serving motivations?

I just think it's unfair to go after Airbnb when they are far from the worst actor in this space. Compared to Uber, they are saints.

And compared to Tamerlane, Pol Pot was a saint. What's your point?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

LOL bilzerian is worth $150 million. A midget Trump.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are you suggesting tech companies don't sell customer data?
If you're referring to Google, they sell marketing against a set of customer data the client selects. You can't just get a download of all the Google ID's who have searched for a certain thing.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

So that is what two clenched assholes look like.

I support rear end in a top hat chat in addition to the dick derail as an alternative to this Air BnB crap.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Gail Wynand posted:

hard to find a motivation less disgusting than feverish embrace of capitalistic policy flouting existing laws, so yeah pretty much anything would be a better source

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gail Wynand posted:

This thread just spent forever going after uber and lyft.

They arn't being singled out.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gail Wynand posted:

If you're referring to Google, they sell marketing against a set of customer data the client selects. You can't just get a download of all the Google ID's who have searched for a certain thing.

You could refer to a pretty wide range of companies but not sure how that matters.

All you're telling me is that the firms are willing to use it as it suits their interests and selective when it doesn't.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Or how Airbnb refuses to give SF the data required to enforce their 90 ban: http://sfist.com/2015/12/14/city_cracks_down_on_airbnbvrbo_law.php
Do you even read these links? That one described how the law is being enforced.

quote:

Once again you're wrong, Ebay works hand-in-hand with regulators and law enforcement and turns over illegal ebay sellers all the time.

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/LawEnforcementCenter.html
Those are criminal offenders, big difference. Violating home-sharing regs is not a criminal offense in the vast majority of jurisdictions.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

You could refer to a pretty wide range of companies but not sure how that matters.

All you're telling me is that the firms are willing to use it as it suits their interests and selective when it doesn't.
No. Do you understand databases? Big data companies do not sell access to their database, they sell the ability to provide marketing based on selectors applied to their database. The database stays on their servers and you never see it. Hell most of their employees never see it absent need to know.

For example, I could tell Lowtax I want to sell ads to everyone who posts about "buttes", but that doesn't mean he gives me a data dump of everyone who has ever posted about buttes in the forums.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gail Wynand posted:

More people have been raped literally through Airbnb than Uber. When discussing the moral worth of a sharing economy business you must use the " Number of People being Raped x Dollars earned" algorithm.

Since , more people have been raped literally using AirBnB then it de facto is worse than Uber.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

More people have been raped literally through Airbnb than Uber. When discussing the moral worth of a sharing economy business you must use the " Number of People being Raped x Dollars earned" algorithm.
People don't get raped by hotel employees and taxi drivers?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm saying you gotta use the algorithm.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Feds have raised interest rates by a quarter of a point, everybody freak the gently caress out :arzy:

EDIT why do we not have an Arzy?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gail Wynand posted:

Do you even read these links? That one described how the law is being enforced.

Those are criminal offenders, big difference. Violating home-sharing regs is not a criminal offense in the vast majority of jurisdictions.

The law is being enforced, in spite of Airbnb not helping. SF says they would have an easier time enforcing the law if. Airbnb would turn over the list of people breaking the law.

Also tax evasion is a crime in this country hth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have to listen to people complain constantly on facebook about how the 2nd apartment they rented out to Airbnb is messy all of the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

Look, you run a hotel or drive a cab, you're gonna have some rapes. Cost of doing business.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gail Wynand posted:

No. Do you understand databases? Big data companies do not sell access to their database, they sell the ability to provide marketing based on selectors applied to their database. The database stays on their servers and you never see it. Hell most of their employees never see it absent need to know.

And that doesn't suit their interests?

Gail Wynand posted:

So two wrongs make a right?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/inside-the-2016-black-market-for-donor-emails-216761

Heard about this on Marketplace last night. What's really crazy is the revenue sharing deals: Think that $10 you just gave to Rubio is all going to him? Nope! 70% goes to the walker campaign!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

The law is being enforced, in spite of Airbnb not helping. SF says they would have an easier time enforcing the law if. Airbnb would turn over the list of people breaking the law.

Also tax evasion is a crime in this country hth.
The SF thing has nothing to do with tax evasion, also Airbnb collects hotel tax and issues 1099s to their hosts which are shared with the IRS so your point is...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Teddybear posted:

Feds have raised interest rates by a quarter of a point, everybody freak the gently caress out :arzy:

The economy runs on fear, cocaine, and quarterly profits.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have never cared less about anything than airbnb.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Teddybear posted:

I always thought that was :derp:

EDIT: Also, how quaint: you can see how many naïve algorithms are working on the news without factoring in expectations from the flash drop of over 100 points before it bounced back just as quickly.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 16, 2015

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Where is Arzy these days anyway?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I have to listen to people complain constantly on facebook about how the 2nd apartment they rented out to Airbnb is messy all of the time.
Then they are dumb, Airbnb lets you charge a cleaning fee, use it to hire a maid.

Gravel Gravy posted:

So two wrongs make a right?
When you have millions of people using a service bad things are inevitably going to happen. What exactly should these companies do to prevent sexual assault that they are not already doing?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Why does anyone treat poker players with respect? Quite frankly I would give more respect to someone who plays SC2 or LOL professionally.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I always thought that was :derp:

Nah, back in 2008 we had a different, though similar one for :arzy:.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Gail Wynand posted:

Guess which instance has much clearer liability and amelioration avenues?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wait, getting raped by a taxi driver and getting raped by a Uber driver has different "liability and amelioration avenues"?
poo poo, i didn't realize rape was an avenue of regulatory arbitrage.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
So do you think companies should never be held accountable for the actions of their employees (or contractors, but that's the issue)?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

shrike82 posted:

Wait, getting raped by a taxi driver and getting raped by a Uber driver has different "liability and amelioration avenues"?
poo poo, i didn't realize rape was an avenue of regulatory arbitrage.

One of those two organizations is required to maintain records of incidents that occur while transporting customers and must report those to the public at large. The other one is Uber.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

LMAO at the notion that taxi companies are going to be on the side of rape victims.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Man, look at all that artifacting.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

shrike82 posted:

LMAO at the notion that taxi companies are going to be on the side of rape victims.

That's typically what the justice system is for yeah.

Wouldn't want to accuse you of missing the point though.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Why does anyone treat poker players with respect? Quite frankly I would give more respect to someone who plays SC2 or LOL professionally.

Well you see he posts pictures of himself surrounded by guns and babes and flags on his social media accounts and has a private jet so therefore

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

That's typically what the justice system is for yeah.

Wouldn't want to accuse you of missing the point though.

No, I'd love to hear more about how being raped in a taxi cab gives you more protections than in a Uber car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

shrike82 posted:

shrike82 posted:

No, I'd love to hear more about how being raped in a taxi cab gives you more protections than in a Uber car?

When you're done blowing Travis Kalanick, could you reread this and explain how a municipal law compelling taxi companies to report on incidents to the public under pain of losing the right to operate in that municipality is at all relevant to this?

• Locked thread