Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ahh, OK. So which runes are the typical favorites?

Just hit level 11 last night and rocking the basic Griffin set, the power jump is huge. For the first time I now have more abilities than info buttons, though >_<. Trying to figure out which signs are most useful and its kinda hard given conflicting posts from different patches.

In general, quen is a great go-to and oh poo poo button, and igni works on a variety of enemies. Axii makes shield guys easy mode, but it almost feel too easy so i do not use it a lot, just when im near death or something from a group fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yrden is the best sign, especially it's alt-use. It's almost always useful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing with a controller it's a pain in the rear end having to bring up the radial menu every time I want to switch powers, which is repeatedly every fight.

quote:

Yrden is the best sign, especially it's alt-use. It's almost always useful.

Yeah, virtually every enemy seems to attack faster than Geralt's light attacks connect by default (at level 6) so it's a huge boon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RBA Starblade posted:

Playing with a controller it's a pain in the rear end having to bring up the radial menu every time I want to switch powers, which is repeatedly every fight.

I don't use a controller, so I don't know if it's any easier, but I'm pretty sure parrying and using the d-pad switches signs like you would with a scroll wheel.

e:Or maybe it was the shoulder buttons?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't use a controller, so I don't know if it's any easier, but I'm pretty sure parrying and using the d-pad switches signs like you would with a scroll wheel.

e:Or maybe it was the shoulder buttons?

If true it would have been awesome if the game had ever mentioned that. I'll check next time I load it up!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hatesfreedom posted:

It's a real shame I can't recommend the fast travel mod, it really removes a lot of the drudgery. But if you're like me you'll ignore all the warnings about breaking quests by using it at the wrong time, and then here you are. Painfully aware how much it bothers you that you can't complete a quest you honestly don't care about anyway.

I've beat the entire game with the fast travel mod without breaking anything.

You just need to, y'know, not teleport out of obvious quest areas.

Baronjutter posted:

The more I learn about sorcerers the more I think Radovid did nothing wrong. Wanton use of mind control and manipulation, extreme selfishness, arrogance, often claiming they have some grand moral code and then loving everyone around them for some nebulous "greater good" or personal goal.

No, Emhyr's approach is reasonable. Radovid is just a oval office.

Ahh, OK. So which runes are the typical favorites?

Just hit level 11 last night and rocking the basic Griffin set, the power jump is huge. For the first time I now have more abilities than info buttons, though >_<. Trying to figure out which signs are most useful and its kinda hard given conflicting posts from different patches.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/a-guide-to-building-geralts-skill-trees-in-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

I played with the sign build on the second page and recommend it. I also used the Traits Always On mod with it, though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Past tense. Dandelion is older as the narrator.

I took the loading reads to be a narrator reading Dandelions musings, not being Dandelion himself. It's a little confusing because of the "and I, the bard Dandelion" loading scene, but again, I think it's just someone reading his poo poo.

In W2, the narrations are the same voice actor as Dandelion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Terrible Horse posted:

They could put out monster-of-the-week fantasy x-files dlc forever and I would play them all.
This is also exactly what the author of the books thought when he released the newest Witcher novel. It's disconnected from the main series and is an in-and-out adventure for Geralt. It also took him just a year to write, he's a hard worker. Basically if Sapkowski would ever need money he can just pump out a book like that and everybody will be all over it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I've liked the dlc so far but I wasn't a fan of the caretaker fight, it wasn't hard but felt like for the first time in the game, there was one answer. He also for some reason absorbed non alt yrden for no reason but not other signs. Like he literally has a special animation just for absorbing the regular yrden. The fight was just, dodge attack, slash then wait, it's different for sure but odd. Felt a bit like a slog but that because I started the fight not noticing he healed when he hit me.

Very good still and I can't wait for blood and wine.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got to Kaer Morhen and wanted to start picking up the wolf gear diagrams, but I can't open the chest in the signal tower for the note/crystals. Tried saving & reloading but no dice. On console so there isn't much I can do.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Supreme Allah posted:

Triss is the hottest & the nicest and so she's the bess.

F U if you let the witch hunters torture her.

No. gently caress you dude. Triss can and does handle those assholes in the most :black101: way if you just follow the plan. She took a calculated risk and Geralt needs to not be a spineless bitch. Gotta have some faith.

But seriously, I admit that my first play through I just said gently caress it and murdered everyone, but ultimately I sat through it on my 2nd playthrough and it was really hard to do even though I already knew what happened.

Also, even if you ignore that the books portray her as a naive and impressionable child (which I do), she still manipulated the gently caress out of Geralt in the games storyline as well taking advantage of his amnesia so they could gently caress.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

KingShiro posted:

Got to Kaer Morhen and wanted to start picking up the wolf gear diagrams, but I can't open the chest in the signal tower for the note/crystals. Tried saving & reloading but no dice. On console so there isn't much I can do.

Exact same problem here

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

El Hefe posted:

Exact same problem here

It's a bug. I couldn't find the second crystal and had to console command it into my inventory.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

SectumSempra posted:

I've liked the dlc so far but I wasn't a fan of the caretaker fight, it wasn't hard but felt like for the first time in the game, there was one answer. He also for some reason absorbed non alt yrden for no reason but not other signs. Like he literally has a special animation just for absorbing the regular yrden.

..did he just dispell that

Ice Fist posted:

No. gently caress you dude. Triss can and does handle those assholes in the most :black101: way if you just follow the plan. She took a calculated risk and Geralt needs to not be a spineless bitch. Gotta have some faith.

I've seen that play out too, I watched lots of LPs of this game. I don't know what you get though aside from some more information for Dykstra? As far as I can tell he still doesn't help you at Kaer Morhen and you still have to decide between him and Roche, so looking back, what's the benefit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Supreme Allah posted:

I've seen that play out too, I watched lots of LPs of this game. I don't know what you get though aside from some more information for Dykstra? As far as I can tell he still doesn't help you at Kaer Morhen and you still have to decide between him and Roche, so looking back, what's the benefit.
I think he pays you for actually finding his gold? So yeah, no big deal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I started a quest to assassinate a certain mad boy king, met a cobbler, and now I've got nothing. It doesn't seem to be an active quest anymore. What do I need to do? I can't put Ciri on the throne in this political climate!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Baronjutter posted:

So I started a quest to assassinate a certain mad boy king, met a cobbler, and now I've got nothing. It doesn't seem to be an active quest anymore. What do I need to do? I can't put Ciri on the throne in this political climate!

Just wait. It'll come back around again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Baronjutter posted:

The people who give you the quest specifically tell you that's all they want you to do

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Baronjutter posted:

It comes back much later but at a pivotal time.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey is there still going to be a patch in December? I remember reading something about that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

JetsGuy posted:

It comes back much later but at a pivotal time.

So don't go shoving anyone forcefully.
No matter how much you might want to.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has the DLC broken the weather? I swear since I've started it the rain just has not stopped.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Helith posted:

Hint hint.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Helith posted:

If this is about pushing people out of the way as you run I'm so hosed then. I've legitimately stopped and dismounted more than once because there was so much yelling and wailing as I pushed peasants aside as I ran.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

If this is about pushing people out of the way as you run I'm so hosed then. I've legitimately stopped and dismounted more than once because there was so much yelling and wailing as I pushed peasants aside as I ran.

No, it's about a dialogue choice in one of conspiracy-related dialogues.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

It's not,you'll know what it means when it becomes important

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has the DLC broken the weather? I swear since I've started it the rain just has not stopped.

I have the DLC on PC and if anything it's the sunny days that are the rarity.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Joshmo posted:

I have the DLC on PC and if anything it's the sunny days that are the rarity.

It rained for about a week straight (all the way through the DLC almost) and then wouldn't you know it, soon as I made the post I went back and the weather cleared.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Helith posted:

Also don't break anyone's legs.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It rained for about a week straight (all the way through the DLC almost) and then wouldn't you know it, soon as I made the post I went back and the weather cleared.

Same here. Days upon days of rain, and then one day it was all gone.

Is weather randomly chosen or did someone at cdprojekt manually plan years of weather? The later would be kind of neat.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

hatesfreedom posted:

Same here. Days upon days of rain, and then one day it was all gone.

Is weather randomly chosen or did someone at cdprojekt manually plan years of weather? The later would be kind of neat.

Not sure exactly but its at least partially determined by location. I had a few weird moments when a storm cleared up in a matter of a few footsteps, because I guess I crossed into another cell or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Had my first (through sixth) death(s)! :toot:

The Contract: Shrieker quest shouldn't be taken on at level 7 though it says 8 huh? I do barely any damage, bestiary says it's weak to aard but that means you can get one light attack in before it swipes me for half my health, the swipe is longer than the roll goes so you can't duck out of it, and its bleed effect out heals swallow and food combined.

e: Yeah this fight's impossible at the recommended level, if I get hit more than twice I lose. It pierces Quen and it absorbs nothing, too. Does Quen just absorb a base amount of damage? That'd explain why.

The crossbow's a piece of poo poo too and I wish Geralt would make up his mind on when to reload the drat thing. It'd be almost useful against fliers if he'd decide if he reloads the second he fires or the second before firing again. As is it's a 50/50, and in this fight that means I lose half my health and bleed out.

I may just lower the combat to easy, I'm not really enjoying it at all.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 17, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Hopefully the new DLC will have perfect weather mostly, if they stick to the description of that region. Rains great in those few scripted scenarios like the fight against the ancient leshen but otherwise it seems to outstay it's welcome a lot.

Geralt: 'hrr raining again...'

*waits three days*

Geralt: 'hh raining again...'

Did I skip over a nice day or is this the same drat rain.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Had my first (through sixth) death(s)! :toot:

The Contract: Shrieker quest shouldn't be taken on at level 7 though it says 8 huh? I do barely any damage, bestiary says it's weak to aard but that means you can get one light attack in before it swipes me for half my health, the swipe is longer than the roll goes so you can't duck out of it, and its bleed effect out heals swallow and food combined.

e: Yeah this fight's impossible at the recommended level, if I get hit more than twice I lose. It pierces Quen and it absorbs nothing, too. Does Quen just absorb a base amount of damage? That'd explain why.

The crossbow's a piece of poo poo too and I wish Geralt would make up his mind on when to reload the drat thing. It'd be almost useful against fliers if he'd decide if he reloads the second he fires or the second before firing again. As is it's a 50/50, and in this fight that means I lose half my health and bleed out.

I may just lower the combat to easy, I'm not really enjoying it at all.

Don't try to roll back away and don't attack the head. Approach to the back flank and take some swings, when the Shreiker attempts to retaliate pirouette towards its rear and continue your assault. I have quen up throughout this and have found its protection okay.

When the it goes airborne wait until it's coming straight for you in a dive and then fire your crossbow. This will improve your chances of connecting with the bolt and drop it close enough to attack before it recovers. Geralt will automatically reload the crossbow after each shot in the absence of other input. But if you start swinging your sword around he won't bother to reload and then next time you take a shot reloading will need to happen first.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The hardest fight in the game is always the drat ghouls at the start. Without potions and bombs groups of enemies can swarm too easily and one or two stray swipes is all it takes.

Once it's possible to dodge back twice and toss out a dancing star or northern wind it's easy enough to separate any group. I shouldn't have done an alchemy build for my second play through because having 7 each of enhanced dancing star, grapeshot, northern wind, devils puffball, and samum every meditation at level 15 trivializes a lot of the game even on Death March.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the tips, though rolling for its butt is what's getting me hit. Geralt looked like he reloads the crossbow while moving too, so that's what was confusing me about it. I'll probably just come back later, if I really care about like two hundred gold. I may just advance the main plot instead.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the tips, though rolling for its butt is what's getting me hit. Geralt looked like he reloads the crossbow while moving too, so that's what was confusing me about it. I'll probably just come back later, if I really care about like two hundred gold. I may just advance the main plot instead.

Yeah you can walk around I'm p. sure but other stuff will cancel the reload. I usually just shoot and stand in place waiting for the reload to be sure. And yeah feel free to come back later, I think quests still give full XP for about five levels past them so you can always level up a bit, upgrade some gear, and come back to it.

Edit: Try doing the little dodge toward the butt, not the long roll, you should still end up more on the side than behind it. You want it attacking with its wing rather than head or tail as it's the easiest to dodge and from memory I don't think the wing attack does damage through quen (but it will break it.)

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Cirofren posted:

Once it's possible to dodge back twice and toss out a dancing star or northern wind it's easy enough to separate any group. I shouldn't have done an alchemy build for my second play through because having 7 each of enhanced dancing star, grapeshot, northern wind, devils puffball, and samum every meditation at level 15 trivializes a lot of the game even on Death March.

For my second playthru, it's having the exact opposite for me: I'm loving it. Bombs aren't really useful for damage but man watching groups of 6 bandits burn while picking them off one by one is awesome (so long as the game actually chooses to swing the sword at a dude and not the air behind me). Thunderbolt, Blizzard, Whirl, Hunter Instinct, and Killing Spree mean super huge crit hits against everything. I love Overkill.

Although I do wish I went sword + alchemy instead of sword + signs in the first playthru when I was doing just the story because I want to see groups of bandits gloriously explode from one or two well-placed dancing stars and not even bother swinging a sword.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Sword of Destiny posted:

'Save us, O God,' the troubadour laughed. '[Geralt], Poppet, has no voice or ear, and can only rhyme "rear" with "beer".

So close, CDPR, so close.

https://youtu.be/6R-ZEndclSM?t=2m51s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cirofren posted:

Yeah you can walk around I'm p. sure but other stuff will cancel the reload. I usually just shoot and stand in place waiting for the reload to be sure. And yeah feel free to come back later, I think quests still give full XP for about five levels past them so you can always level up a bit, upgrade some gear, and come back to it.

Edit: Try doing the little dodge toward the butt, not the long roll, you should still end up more on the side than behind it. You want it attacking with its wing rather than head or tail as it's the easiest to dodge and from memory I don't think the wing attack does damage through quen (but it will break it.)
I used Aard instead of the crossbow when its swooping at me just because it seems far more reliable. Keep Quen up, Aard it when it swoops, dodge towards it, get one or two strong hits in, the repeatedly dodge back. Restore Quen if needed, then it should be launching itself airborne for you to repeat. Also, DoTs are definitely worth applying just because it spends a lot of time when you can't really get to it safely. Its a bitch of a fight though.